Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2008-11-11 05:43:33 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet.

Easy mode as Marco

Verifier Responses

Quote:
I reject it.

Metal Slug 6's easy mode doesn't let you play through the whole game, like you mentioned. Hard mode/easy difficulty (I assume he played on anthology) would have been a different story, but this... I mean come on. Oh and despite of all that he died twice too.

Quote:
Well, this is up to you. I could see no signs of cheating, and the run IS impressive, however, easy mode simply isn't fun to watch. In easy mode, the player has a machine gun with infinite ammo, and the last level isn't even playable. This cuts down on the time considerably, and should be treated as a separate category altogether at the least. In addition, this run is not a "no deaths" run, which are the main reason watch Metal Slug speed runs in the first place I assume. If it were up to me, I'd have a "Hard mode or GTFO" rule on Metal Slug 6, but this IS a legit run, so it's up to you and the other verifiers.

Other verifiers simply said the run was sloppy and that easy mode shouldn't be a category because it doesn't complete the game.

This is the message I sent the runner.

Quote:
Your run was rejected for two reasons, easy mode doesn't count as a category, and the run was too sloppy. No, I won't budge on this.

Easy mode doesn't count as a category because it doesn't go through the whole game.

About the sloppiness, this is what me and another verifier spotted.

-Collected enough grenades to stock an army, and yet had more than 10 left every stage, which shows a lack of planning. This is painfully obvious in stage 1.

-Speaking of grenades, I know more could have been used against groups of smaller enemies or enemies that take multiple hits.

-Speaking of grenades and stage 1. Why not just grenade the boss to death?

-Stage 1, at the beginning: Why not just use a couple of enemy chaser shots to take out the soldiers on the left. You wasted some time trying to nail that guy with a heavy machine gun.

-Stage 3, right before the crawler robots: WHY DROP THE SHOTGUN FOR TWO MUCH SHITTIER WEAPONS!?!

-Stage 3: You should probably save a shotgun or zaibetsu sword for the junk miniboss if you can't kill it with grenades before it surrounds itself with crap. If you can kill it with grenades before it surrounds itself with crap, then you should have done so (apparently you can destroy it with grenades).

-Stage 4, plane area: Is there a reason why you were so conservative with missiles against the miniboss?

-Stage 4: I think you could prevent yourself from dying in that area if you used a bunch of grenades and didn't stay on the sides so often. It's not like you can use them against the boss (or at least not very effectively).

-Stage 4 boss: Are you a laserphobe? There's no reason not to use laser against bosses when your choices are laser and heavy machine gun, laser does better damage every time.

Another verifier's comments:

This is the first stage alone, so hold on to your chair.

-Why would you pick all those grenades if you haven't used even half of them?
-Going further: why the not use them? Nades >>>> machinegun, even on easy mode/easy difficulty.
-Like Mike mentioned, it'd be better to use the chaser for one of the early parts to take down the soldiers on the left (either that or use nades to do so).
-A sec after that you slow down a little to kill a soldier chasing you even though it wasn't required to progress (I know you somehow missed him with the machinegun but you should've restarted the run at this point as it was only 0:40 in).
-Use nades on the apache, you could take it down without stopping.
-After the caravan part or whatever you should've stuck to the right of the screen instead of fucking around, loosing time as a result.
-In the cave part, why not jump over the tank and spam nades on the gate?
-Why not spam nades on the boss from the start?

I remind you this is just the first stage. I won't go into detail about the whole run, but with my and mike's pointers you should get a basic idea of what you did wrong. I say don't take it personally, but you should take it seriously. Research your game a little more before even considering a run. Good luck.

I know Metal Slug is a tough series, but that also means you need to have tough standards.

Decision: Rejected

Reason: As I wrote in my message to the runner, the run was too sloppy, and Easy mode doesn't count as a category because it doesn't go through the whole game. Also, that list of criticisms I gave the runner isn't even complete.
Thread title:  
My feelings on The Demon Rush
One warning, if you want a copy of this run, then PM me before Monday because I'll be taking the run down then.