Patrik 'Cremator' Salonen's single-segment run

Verifier Responses

AIM conversation:

Quote:
Verifier: hey, the megamanII GB run looks very good
Verifier: far superior to the old record obviously
Me: anything else to say?
Verifier: just that megamanII has odd game mechanics he abused fairly well
Verifier: oddly, when hit you are propelled up ladders and you can slide through enemies without having knockback
Me: that is the opposite of just about every other mm game
Verifier: pretty much
Verifier: anything else you would like to know?
Me: video and audio
Verifier: good enough quality for a GB game. I just wish that the GB player didn't have the bordered display around it. The audio is good as far as i could tell

Quote:
First I'd like to say that there is no surprise that this SS run beats the previous segmented one for this game. The old segmented run was using a poorly executed sub-optimal route whereas in this SS run, some real thought was put into deciding optimal routes and testing of small time savers.

Video quality and sound seems just fine. One of the instruments in the wily stage music sounds odd but thats quite likely due to the sound engine of the snes differing from the gameboy.

The runner did well in keeping up a constant sliding pattern in almost all places possible and made good use of coil and jet shortcuts. Usage of the jet is very thankful in this iteration of the game in that it only drains weapon energy when you are actually standing on it (hence the runners constant jumping when riding it in lower magnet man stage) so it can be used for lots of places without needing to pick up a refill.

Air man:
Pretty straightforward stage. The kind of pipe-vault jumping done over the goblins in the MM2 speedrun does not seem to be possible in this game so taking damage from the horns is neccessary.

Air man fight itself goes really smooth apart from the last shot where the runner attempts to get closer to the center before doing the killing blow saving a fraction of a second in the autowalk sequence. He ends up missing the last shot and takes damage instead.

Clash man:
Looses a few seconds due to missing the 3rd RJ ladder jump by positioning the jet too high.

Metal man:
Nice catching the ladder at 5:20. I always found that one easy to miss.

Effective use of the E-tank to barge through the chained spike area similar to the MM2 run.

Seeing as you ended the level with pretty much spare energy you could probably have damage boosted through at least one more of the pierobots (This is really minor, probably something more suitable for a segmented run)

Wood man:
Nice boost through the dog. Didn't know it was possible to nail that pixel in front of him.

Misses a few metal blades due to pressing the right button too diagonally. Luckily, no time is lost due to this as the first time only forces the runner to fire one extra shot and the second time at the cooks he manages to time the slide perfectly with the damage.

Magnet man:
Not really much to say about this stage. Everything went well, a few unintentional diagonal blades here too but nothing that lost time.

Hard man:
Not really anything to add here either. Whole stage went well.

Top man:
Nice mid air (water) marine catch

Needle man:
A leaf shield shot downwards (again a diagonal press but this time it cost the runner) extra damage was taken and it also resulted in running out of ammo too early at the cannons.

Wow, that needle chasing you at 15:06 was perfect for dmg boosting through that next cannon, now thats lucky. If I ask you, I'm sure you'll claim it was all planned out Smiley

A well needed e-tank usage for the needle press area. These buggers take out 4 pixels of energy each hit so they can't really be speeded through unless you have one.

Quint:
Good start, you almost got him before he could move. Too bad about those missed bombs.

Wily stage:
Nothing to say about the stage. This is a pretty easy stage and it went pretty much as fast as can be.
What's a better way to end a MM game than with 1 pixel of energy left? Good job!

All mistakes made were minor and belong to things that can be expected of a single segment run. Anyone wanting to beat this run will have to work hard.
My verdict: Accepted without a doubt.

Quote:
This run looks great.  No deaths and no signs of cheating.  The only mistake I saw was one very small weapon switch error.  The path for this run is better than the current run and the overall strats are better which leads it to have a much better time.

Quote:
watched it closely.

17:33 graphical bug, black spaces bottom right corner, don't know about that one though

apart from that, and considering its single segment its awesome. the quality is good, there were no major mistakes. there were mistakes, but none that cost a minute when added.
as i practice on single segmenting a Megaman game i say its really well played. the mistakes happen, but are not destroying entertainment. and the entertainment of the run is good also, especially the barely survival of the very final enemy. he used slide throughout the entire run to the max which is the fastest possible way of movement. the E tanks were well planned and necessary. the route was also nice.

and, for mm2, he used the movement and shoot bug on quint before the fight even starts, so even that can't be pointed as a miss. no deaths.

it has my verification.

btw: isn't the real time even faster than 20:07? do the sequences, when you get a new weapon, count towards play time? not sure about that.

Decision: Accepted

Reason: This run is a single-segment improvement to an old segmented run that appeared before the days of verification (and it shows). In addition, the run only has minor mistakes and is very well optimized.
Thread title:  
These are my comments (as an attachement) for the run if you want to see them. It includes an extensive list of things that went wrong and other ways to improve the run in case someone wants to have a go at it.

I'll clarify a few things to avoid confusion:
1)
Quote:
Video quality and sound seems just fine. One of the instruments in the wily stage music sounds odd but thats quite likely due to the sound engine of the snes differing from the gameboy.

The run was made using a Game Boy Player for GameCube. The music is apparently smoothened by the GBP; personally, I like the raspy edge of the original Game Boy sounds more, but it can't be helped.

2)
Quote:
Air man fight itself goes really smooth apart from the last shot where the runner attempts to get closer to the center before doing the killing blow saving a fraction of a second in the autowalk sequence. He ends up missing the last shot and takes damage instead.

The previous bullet was deflected unexpectedly, which made me lose my focus as I'm a bit slow to react stuff like that. I made a mistake, but for another reason.

3)
Quote:
Seeing as you ended the level with pretty much spare energy you could probably have damage boosted through at least one more of the pierobots.

Indeed. Unfortunately for me I didn't realize I had the extra resources to do that until after I started using my energy. Usually I don't have that much health so I hadn't really practiced on that, either.

4)
Quote:
Wow, that needle chasing you at 15:06 was perfect for dmg boosting through that next cannon, now thats lucky. If I ask you, I'm sure you'll claim it was all planned out Smiley

Heh. Yeah, that was purely coincidental. Using that would be poor planning since it happened just because I happened to botch destroying the earlier cannon. I gained back some momentum thanks to it, though.

As for taking damage while climbing ladders, you're not propelled upwards but you don't fall, either, and you can keep climbing assuming you started climbing before taking damage.

I'm not sure what to say about the graphical glitches other than it's an old cartridge I bought used, so that might explain it a bit, probably needs a bit cleaning or something. That or it's a version difference. My run is done on the European version and there are some little things that are different from the others; I listed what I could find in the comment file.

Then there's the controller. Oh man, the controller! It's good enough to do most of the stuff I want to do, but the d-pad's over-zealous detection of diagonal presses annoyed me many, many times. Not only does it screw up my aim, but it also stops Mega Man from climbing some times as you can't climb ladders in Mega Man II if you're pressing a diagonal direction, nor can you drop off ladders while doing that (I managed to figure out a way to ease up the letting go part, but you can still see some spots where I simply stop climbing for an instant if you look closely. All in all it's very upsetting. I still used that controller because all the others were even worse and overall felt numb and unresponsive.
Attachment:
Well it's about time someone knocked me off. It's true my old one was sub-optimal. The non-quake portion of the site had only just gotten under way when I filmed that so all of the analysis that is done today wasn't really done back then.