12 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Pendrokar: 2008-12-04 06:22:17 am
So now that I cannot do anything about the X2 run I want to move on...
Mechwarrior 3 is quite different from Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries which I ran but didn't make a thread about it and one of the verifiers knew more about the game than I did. Hopefully I will receive some hints from him for Mechwarrior 3.
In Mechwarrior 3 it is easier to aim with a mouse although I have a Joystick. I probably don't like it because it is old and twitchy(can't aim good).

Running on Hard. There are very few mission where I need to take out all mechs otherwise I wouldn't run on Hard. Recording at High Settings 800x600. One problem though is that the videos and the menu are in 640x480 resolution. Well I wanted to have first 2 missions done with one segment. But the resolution change cut-offs might say otherwise to verifiers!

Mission times(Game times):
Operation 1 Mission 1 - 1:49
Operation 1 Mission 2 - 2:13
Mech - Bushwhacker: 3 (5 LRM) + 1 AC10 - Speed 97

Operation 1 Mission 3 - 3:26
Mech - Bushwhacker: 2 (LRM 10) + 2 ER Lasers - Speed 97 - Destroyed all mechs

Operation 1 Mission 4 - 1:55
Mech - Bushwhacker: 2 (LRM 10) + 1 (LRM 5) + AC 10 - Speed 94 - Destroyed and captured the Orion mech

Operation 2 Mission 1 - 2:14
Mech - Orion: 2 AC10 - Speed 80 - Destroyed three mechs salvaging Thor.
Wing - Bushwhacker: 1 (LRM 20) + 4 (LRM 5) - Speed 91/60(run/walk)

Operation 2 Mission 2 - 2:59
Mech - Thor: 2 ER Laser (Clan) + 20 AC ULTRA (Clan)(Ammo 10)- Speed 89(MARC 110) - Destroyed convoy
Wing - Orion: 7 LRM 5 + 1 LRM 20 - Speed 72/48

Operation 2 Mission 3 - 0:53
Mech - Shadowcat: LRM 20 - Speed 131(MARC 160) - 2 mechs destroyed by Dom with no useful salvage
Wing - same as previous

Operation 2 Mission 4 - 1:24
Mech - Thor: 2 AC10 - Speed 91(MARC 110) - Owen and Puma destroyed(for missile ammo)
Wing - Orion but wasn't used

Operation 3 Mission 1 - 3:00
Mech - Orion:4 ER Laser L (clan) - Speed 86(MASC 108) - 5 Mechs destroyed(Madcat 2 seconds after completing mission)
Wing Dom - Thor: 8 (LRM 5) + BAP + MASC - Speed 87/58
Wing Epona - Thor: 2 (LRM 20 (Clan)) + BAP - Speed 92/61

Operation 3 Mission 2 - 2:21
Mech - Thor:2 AC10 - Speed 91(MASC 110)
Wing Dom - Same as previous
Wing Epona - Same as previous

Operation 3 Mission 3 - 3:06
Mech - Thor:2 ER Laser L(Clan) + ULTRA AC20 (Clan)(Ammo 10) - Speed 90 MASC(113)
Wing Epona - Same as previous
Wing Alan - Madcat:4 (LRM 15 (Clan)) + 2 Artemis IV on all 4 + BAP - Speed 86/57

Operation 3 Mission 4 - 1:53
Mech - Thor:6 ER Laser L(Clan) - Speed 88(MASC 110)
All Wings same as previous

Operation 3 Mission 5 - 1:13
Mech - Shadowcat 2 (LRM 10(Clan)) + TAG - Speed 133(MASC 164)
All Wings same as previous

Operation 3 Mission 6 - 1:47
Mech - Thor:3 (LRM 20(Clan)) + TAG - Speed 92(MASC 116)
Dom Alan Wings same as previous(Epona no mech)

Operation 4 Mission 1 - 3:31
Mech - Shadowcat:2(LRM 10(Clan)) - Speed 129(MASC 160)
Wing Dom - Annihilator: 3 Gauss Guns - Speed 55/36
Wing Epona - Same as Dom
Wing Alan - Madcat: 4 (LRM 10) - Speed 54/36

Operation 4 Mission 2 - 1:13 (no mechs destroyed)
Mech - Annihilator: 4 Clan ER PPC + 1 ER PPC + 21 double heat sink - Speed 61(MASC 77)
Wing Epona - Sunder: 8 ER Laser + 24 double heat sinks - Speed 56/37
Wing Alan - Thor:2 AC10 - Speed 88/58

Operation 4 Mission 3 - 3:27
Mech - Thor:7 ER Laser + 11 double heat sink - Speed 87(MASC 108)
Wing Dom - Thor:8 LRM 5 - Speed 88/58 + MASC
Wing Epona - Madcat: 2 Gauss Rifle - Speed 80/53 + MASC
Wing Alan - Thor:2 (LRM 20(Clan)) - Speed 92/61

Operation 4 Mission 4 - 1:25
Mech - Thor:11 medium pulse lasers + 5 medium pulse lasers (Clan) - Speed 81(MASC 101)
Wing Dom - Same as my O4M2 Annihilator
Wing Epona - Same as my O4M2 Annihilator
Wing Alan - Sunder:11 ER Laser - Speed 57/38

Operation 4 Mission 5 - 2:02
Mech: Annihilator: 7(Clan)+8 Pulse Lasers - Speed 63

Operation 4 Mission 6 - 1:01
Mech - Thor:2 ULTRA AC20 (Clan) (10 ammo)- Speed 89(MASC 108)
Wing Dom - Orion: 4 (LRM 15)(Clan) - Speed 84/56 + MASC
Wing Epona - Madcat: 3(Clan) + 1 (LRM 10) - Speed 82/55 + MASC
Wing Alan - Thor: 3 LRM 20(Clan) - Speed 88/58

Total setups in menus - ~9:14(Loading screens in briefings+2 second ending(scoreboard) after each mission)
Total Time - 40:38 + ~9:14 = ~49:52 (And FrostyTheDragon/Aquatiger said speedrun on mechwarrior 3 would definately be over an hour and I disproved it even on highest difficulty)  Grin
Thread title:  
Emm does SDA allow to use presets? In this case my made presets on mechs? They count as scripts right?  Huh?
Never give up!
I'm pretty sure we'll be okay with presets.  I'm not sure it would even need a 'scripts' category, but I'll go ask Mike at some point about this.

I'd have recommended you to the previous MechWarrior discussion thread that I was using, but your times indicate you're beyond me.  What I am interested in is what your presets lean towards as far as weaponry.  There was some stuff another person said in the previous thread that I'll repeat here, for the sake of hopefully reinciting discussion:
Quote from Devourer_Kwi:
I'd like to throw in my own opinions about this.  I'm a former saKhan of the top-ranked Clan Jade Falcon from the MW3 Starlance League and MW4 Vengeance League; I feel I'm qualified to make a few points.

1. Missiles have a big disadvantage in this game in that they require an Artemis IV FCS (Clan version: 1 ton, 1 crit) and a Targeting Computer in order to target specific parts.  That's not worth it, considering how slow missiles are to kill.  And if you factor in the fact that 'Mechs often move and turn around, you'll take forever to kill 'Mechs.  Owning vehicles and static targets just isn't enough to justify it.

2. Since we're running through on the easiest difficulty setting, you can likely get away with leaving the arms completely unarmored and going halfsies on the legs, which the PC doesn't seem to focus on.  Leave the head unarmored, too, because cockpit shots by the PC are very rare.  If you have extra points left over from a half-ton of armor, obviously use them, but don't get rid of a half-ton of armor if it will leave your center torso underprotected at all.

Furthermore, you can likely get away with seriously skimping in armor until Op 2 Mis 1, when you have to make sure you can deal with that Thor.  More on this later when I go mission-by-mission, aided by my Prima Official Strategy Guide.

3. Remember, you don't have to kill everything, just everything that threatens you.  If you lose an MFB, you should restart a mission, but you know that.  Beeline towards everything that needs to be killed, take out targets of opportunity for extra salvage, and damn the secondary objectives unless they're in your way.

4. Bigger 'Mech + MASC = Faster run.  The extra torso and leg armor native to the heavier 'Mechs will protect you better, and since you'll be tweaking this to take the minimum stuff necessary, they should be the fastest things available.  Furthermore, in the later missions, you'll be spending a lot of time mauling things, and an Annihilator is about the only thing with the tonnage to avoid a time-costly circle fight.

5. If you're so uncomfortable with the first-person view of the Annihilator, consider fighting in third-person-high.  It takes some getting used to, but you'll avoid that issue as the camera is set the same way for all 'Mechs.  You'll also have a far better view of the battlefield, and therefore much better situational awareness.

6. Legging is the way to go, and autocannons should never be necessary.  Please believe me when I tell you that a large group of Medium Pulse Lasers and two to three Clan ER-PPCs is by far the most potent, quick punch you can get.

7. I am PRAYING that configuration time doesn't count here, or you'll have to save all the configurations you expect to get for every 'Mech for every lancemate for every mission.  If you do that beforehand, you'll be spending very little time in the 'Mech Lab, thus making timing negligible.

8. I keep getting the glitch with the Missile Platforms in Op 1 Mis 2, as well!  If you've figure out a workaround, please share it, as I can't seem to crack it.

9. A note on heat: You have to add 10 Single Heat Sinks, bringing your total to 20 (10 added + 10 built into the engine) to make the 'Mech as heat-efficient as it is with only 10 Double Heat Sinks (all built into the engine).  That means the second you get a double heat sink, strip all the singles out and put it in.  You'll love the benefit.  Also, put heat sinks in the legs first.  That way, they won't take up valuable weapons space, and you'll get a bonus effect if you're ever in the water.

The glitch he refers to for Op 1 Mission 2, by the way, is where one of the missile platforms disappears and, though targetable, becomes undamageable.

....oh, what the hell.  I'll list my old times so you have an idea what you absolutely must beat:
Quote:
Op 1 Mission 1: 1:52
Op 1 Mission 2: 2:35
Op 1 Mission 3: 3:50
Op 1 Mission 4: 2:33
Op 2 Mission 1: 3:37
Op 2 Mission 2: 3:47
Op 2 Mission 3: 5:23
Op 2 Mission 4: 3:46
Op 3 Mission 1: 4:04
Op 3 Mission 2: 2:47
Op 3 Mission 3: 5:21
Op 3 Mission 4: 4:11
Op 3 Mission 5: 4:03
Op 3 Mission 6: 4:31
Op 4 Mission 1: 6:27
Op 4 Mission 2: 4:16
Op 4 Mission 3: 6:31
Op 4 Mission 4: 6:09
Op 4 Mission 5: 4:01
Op 4 Mission 6: 2:26

If you don't crush these, it is guaranteed that your run will be thrown out for not being good enough.  I'm probably going to play this again to be a verifier.... don't disappoint me.
HOOLLLLYY!!!  Shocked

Wait a minute. So you just ran through all the game and didn't record a single segment?

Well I'm not killing the mechs so that might be why I could run faster on the first two missions! + you do realize that at half heat speed reduces?
I am mostly looking at speed and firepower. Not armor for now!

BTW you want me to crush those times that were done on lowest difficulty?
Never give up!
I didn't record any of it because, quite frankly, I didn't feel I was ready to submit those times.  I was in the middle of a v2 when.... well, when real life interfered.

I don't even think I'm qualified anymore, skill-wise, to continue where my old run left off.

As for the times?  Yeah, nowadays I'm positive that every one of those can be beaten, some of them significantly, regardless of the fact you're using a harder difficulty than I was.  A couple might be difficult - in Op 1 Mission 3, for instance, you'd probably be hard-pressed to get a full 10 seconds of improvement just because one of the mission objectives involves getting the MFBs to a certain spot, and all you can do is send them immediately and clear all other objectives before they arrive.  (I think I might have gone after the last turrets a little late in that playthrough.  Regardless, I believe you have enough time to slaughter everything on that map, not just what you NEED to destroy.)
My feelings on The Demon Rush
I just skimmed through this topic a bit, and my only question is what are presets?
Edit history:
Pendrokar: 2008-11-20 03:36:27 pm
How do I combine different resolution videos with virtual dub?  Huh?

[Edit] Mike allowed the use of presets
Never give up!
Quote from mikwuyma:
I just skimmed through this topic a bit, and my only question is what are presets?

Basically, a configuration for a particular mech that's set up ahead of time and saved for later use.

The only advantage conferred is that instead of fumbling around for potentially large amounts of time in the mech lab between levels to get just the right configuration, the player selects their previously set-up configuration and then goes right to the mission.  If the player didn't salvage everything necessary, a preset configuration would only go as far as what has already been salvaged - it could not be used to create mech weapons/ammo/parts, for instance.
Some people think they can outsmart me.
Pendrokar, you can't without a transcode. Resolution differences can't be overcome.

Mikwuyma, presets are mech configurations which you save in a menu with a unique name. For example, "LRM20 boat", "Pulse-Large Laser boat", "Gauss boat", "LPL snow map", "fast LRM5".  You get a mech setup how you want it, going through all the different emplacements and other constraints, which may take you 10 or more minutes, then save that with a name. Next time you want that setup, it takes you 3 seconds to select it from the menu, rather than 10 minutes to reconfigure it from scratch. It's not a cheat. But, for verification purposes, it needs to be recorded. I suggest Pendrokar make an special video capture at the very end of the whole game, just going though and recording his presets in detail. It could be done as fast as possible, and a frame-by-frame analysis would garner the necessary information.

- Wingmen do better with LRM's than they do with lasers. Your wingmen will rip the fuck out of LRM's at every possible chance, even against static targets such as buildings and towns. In Mech3, you give your wingmen LRM's and you keep the lasers.

- Your wingmen move at their top "walking" speed. They don't ever "run". So, you get MASC in your wingmen's mechs without question, otherwise they will be absolutely worthless throughout the entire game, always being 5 minutes behind you.

- Legging is the way to go. Without question, 5 CERL's, upwards of 16 heat sinks (20 is great) and shoot for the legs. PPC's to your wingmen, but never more than 1 per wingmen -- everything else should be missiles.

- Snow maps are another matter. Wingmen will fire lasers on snow maps.

- I've never gotten that glitch in O1-M2. I don't think ever.

- Absolutely on the double heat sinks. 1 double changes all the built-in sinks to doubles. Once you get doubles, you don't ever use anything else.

- I suspect you're better off loading out an Annhilator and keeping it slow, than you are charging into everything and relying on mission replays to get the necessary luck to keep all your captured tech. Because there's no market, Mech 3 is an integral game -- losing weapons will may very well cause you serious problems in later missions, such as when you have to race across the map and destroy the supply train.
Edit history:
Pendrokar: 2008-11-20 04:13:08 pm
Ok I can merge them by adding a Letterbox(Black outer boundries) for the menu videos. I hope thats fine!  Undecided

EDIT:
Quote:
I suggest Pendrokar make an special video capture at the very end of the whole game, just going though and recording his presets in detail. It could be done as fast as possible, and a frame-by-frame analysis would garner the necessary information.

You will see all the stats and equipment when I choose it.
EDIT2: Example(taken from video segment) added

EDIT3: So should I have a letterbox or resize the 640x480 menu videos to 800x600?

Attachment:
Seems I really like autocannons. Too bad they are ballistic though.  Undecided

I will probably use lasers only when there is water on the way!
This thread really brings back memories. Smiley

I spent ridiculous amounts of time with this game, mostly playing online (anyone here who remembers the art of lag shooting?) and designing custom maps.
But I've also completed the single-player campaign several times, so I guess I'd qualify as a verifier, in case there aren't enough already.

Regarding letterbox/resizing: My personal preference would be resizing so that watching the menus in full-screen mode is possible.

Good luck with this run!
Phew O2M2 was most likely one of the hardest. We'll see if it will really be! I jump on one of the shuttles and I let the other get blown up by Dom.  I mostly got shot down by either Bulldogs from my back or turrets near the HQ! Even though my leg was red it wasn't crippled. I will upload all recorded missions now!
Do wingmen use MARC? I didn't put any in but I would like to know!

Quote from Toe:
Regarding letterbox/resizing: My personal preference would be resizing so that watching the menus in full-screen mode is possible.

I need another vote for this one!
Quote from Pendrokar:
I need another vote for this one!

Pendrokar, if you let me handle the video, then you don't need to worry about it. All you have to do is hit the record button when the mission starts. The newer FRAPS versions automatically start a new file when a resolution change occurs. Do you have a recent version?

640x480 goes up to 800x600 just fine. And 800x600 drops down to 640x480 just fine.
800/600 = 1.33
640/480 = 1.33
It'd be different if we were talking about compression macro-blocks, or aspect ratios. We're not. They're both aspect ratio 1:1 from the PC, the bitrate for the IQ version is 5000kbps, only the IQ and XQ versions will output full 800x600 resolution. I know you have a rough time with space. You want me to get you an FTP setup so you can offload video? The only reason I got rid of the other one is because it wasn't being used and the video has been submitted.

Wingmen use MASC, but they disable it any time they have any weapon heat. So basically, during a battle, it's off. And they still only move at their highest "walking" speed -- the "walk" speed listed in the configuration panel when you're customizing a mech.
Quote from tycho102:
The newer FRAPS versions automatically start a new file when a resolution change occurs. Do you have a recent version?

I know that.  Roll Eyes I just want to combine them as one segment(First menu(mech setups)+Ingame battle+Scoreboard).
Is losing 50 seconds worth the effort with taking out 2 pumas and the Champion in O2M3?  Roll Eyes

Because I can do it in either 1 min. or 1 min. 50!
Never give up!
Well, can the salvage from the Pumas and Champion make up those 50 seconds and then some in later missions?

Think of it in those terms.  (These Pumas have PPCs, right?)
Quote from FrostyTheDragon:
Well, can the salvage from the Pumas and Champion make up those 50 seconds and then some in later missions?

Think of it in those terms.  (These Pumas have PPCs, right?)

Well I see potential for the other puma which has a lot of missiles for Dom!  Grin
Lasers have the potential of unlimited ammo! So I would have less mechs needed to be destroyed later on!
What a great glitch. I understand when a bridge gets destroyed and anything under it gets destroyed BUT NOT A TALL THIN TREE DESTROYING A MECH in O3M3!!!
Edit history:
Pendrokar: 2008-11-24 01:36:25 pm
O3 M4 M5 M6 | O4 M1. Are all doable with a solo mech without using lancemates(Except for O3M5 where some mechs are close to MFB). O3M4 and O4M1 with a fast Heavy mech(Thor  Grin ) loaded with clan LRM20 missiles(or lasers in O3M4 because of water presence) and others with a shadowcat with a load out like in O2M3!
Question is if any real salvage is needed for the last four missions! If you check my lancemates they all use Missiles and it is as tycho said. They aim perfect when front-to-front. But they also shoot at dead mechs one last times which spends ammo.
So if I salvage I would most likely give the lancemates energy based weapons. While I clean objectives. Just to spend less ammunition!

Edit: Oh and most of you said that having armor on unused arms is useless. Maybe for CPU but a human player can use them as shields!
Edit history:
Pendrokar: 2008-11-24 02:02:41 pm
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

NONONO!!!! IDIOT!! DUNCE!!

I... I... Compressed all the vids to 640x480!

And had deleted all but one source. Which was the alternative O2M3 1:50!!!

Edit: But I don't really see why that happened. There are no filters set in Virtual Dub.
Edit2: Ah no there is one! "Enable image processing"
What exactly does that mean for the run?

Will you have to start over? Or will the 640x480 videos be accepted by SDA?
Quote from Toe:

Nothing like that really! It was one of Tycho's statements for the run!  Roll Eyes
Quote from Toe:

640x480 is "standard" for SDA, because it is perfectly divisible by 16-pixel macro blocks. All the MPEG-4 codecs use 16 pixel macroblocks for compression. The next one up is 1024x768.

Quote from Pendrokar:
Nothing like that really! It was one of Tycho's statements for the run!  Roll Eyes

There's a $50USD bounty on that, just like I told you. I gave you $100USD for Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries because you did everything "extra" that I asked -- namely, doing it at 800x600 and sending me high-quality Xvid conversions.
I'm at the last two missions.

There are two weapon ways in O4M5
1) A Assault mech(Annihilator) with pulse lasers mostly firing from water.
2) A heavy mech(Thor or Orion) with autocannons.

1) has a problem with speed!
2) has a problem against elementals!

Missiles are too bad against elementals and mechs(except when it comes for Lancemates)!