Sad
1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat () (pc) [Any %] [Individual Level] [Campaign: Wolf]

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to 'PROX'!
Thread title:  
Run Information

MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat () (pc) [Any %] [Individual Level] [Campaign: Wolf]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/Mechwarrior2-20220516/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). If you wish to remain anonymous, you can also send a pm with your reply to 'sdaverification' (please state clearly in that case which run you have verified). This is not a contest where the majority wins - Each verification will be judged on its content.
Formerly known as Skullboy
A/V is fine. No cheating detected.

As the notes state, these are the WR ILs for the Wolf campaign. The levels are done efficiently and the notes provide good detail on things. I do have a question though: Why does it take so long for the trial levels to end?

Accept.
Quote from Worn_Traveler:
A/V is fine. No cheating detected.

As the notes state, these are the WR ILs for the Wolf campaign. The levels are done efficiently and the notes provide good detail on things. I do have a question though: Why does it take so long for the trial levels to end?

Accept.

Trials normally have 2 phases if you want to go for the max rank. The highest rank you can get is Khan. This is achieved by completing every trial phase for every trial. For any%, we only do the first phase. They give you a little more than 15 seconds to shoot the spheres at the top to activate the second wave.
Edit history:
Worn_Traveler: 2022-05-27 11:04:48 am
Formerly known as Skullboy
Ok. I misunderstood how the trial worked. I thought that the second phase was being cleared prior to it being announced and that the game wasn't ending the mission right after going through the various notifications.
Edit history:
PROX: 2022-05-27 11:09:34 am
Quote from Worn_Traveler:
Ok. I misunderstood how the trial worked. I thought that the second phase was being cleared prior to it being announced and that the game wasn't ending the mission right after going through the various notifications.

Yeah, wolf has more mechs in the trials as opposed to Jade Falcon having only one for each phase.
Edit history:
PROX: 2022-05-27 11:10:34 am
I have experience playing Mechwarrior 2 (many years ago), but not speedrunning it.

A few of the missions it seemed as if there is a potential for time to be saved by not attacking stationary targets with torso twist / movement. Pyre Light, Flame Tongue and Aquiline Fire all had this, stopping at the target and waiting for it to be destroyed before moving on.
Aquiline Fire seemed to have destruction of the dropship timed to coincide with the completion of the data transfer, which is impressive if that's what is happening.
I also noticed that Blade Splint, Burning Chrome, Silver Staff and Golden Spade did do exactly what I'm talking about, but running past the objectives and destroying them without stopping.
Do the buildings have consistent HP levels, or is there some RNG involved?

Temper Edge - Impressive LRM dumbfire kill on the Jenner. Destruction of the shutdown Kit Foxes could have been more visually impressive without the laser shots being out of range, but this is minor complaint.
The "dancing" whilst waiting for the mission to end annoys me, but that's just my tastes - but to be fair to the runner, there is almost 6 minutes of nothing for the runner to do before the end.

Sable Flame - Were those headshots on the Hellbringers? Nice shooting. I'm guessing some mechs have easier hitboxes for headshots which is why you do legs for most of the run? The last Hellbringer kill is impressive due to moving off before the kill confirmed.

Scorching Sand - Impressive SRM shots on the turrets whilst flying through the air. Great visual, impressive to watch.

Trial 2 - Taking out both Jenners at once looks great.

Cold Crescent - Timing of shutdowns really shines through here, and jetting backwards to the dustoff point whilst staying on target is also impressive.

Velvet Hammer - I was wondering what the purpose of shutting down when pushing the limo was until I saw it work properly. It does make you wonder how much time could be saved, but also does look frustratingly difficult to pull off.

Golden Spade - Impressive visually due to how much is going on at once, the whole thing looks chaotic and challenging.

Those were the comments I had whilst watching the run. The level of play is very high, many kills are visually impressive. No issues with AV.
Accept.
Quote from Falconer Gray:
I have experience playing Mechwarrior 2 (many years ago), but not speedrunning it.

A few of the missions it seemed as if there is a potential for time to be saved by not attacking stationary targets with torso twist / movement. Pyre Light, Flame Tongue and Aquiline Fire all had this, stopping at the target and waiting for it to be destroyed before moving on.
Aquiline Fire seemed to have destruction of the dropship timed to coincide with the completion of the data transfer, which is impressive if that's what is happening.
I also noticed that Blade Splint, Burning Chrome, Silver Staff and Golden Spade did do exactly what I'm talking about, but running past the objectives and destroying them without stopping.
Do the buildings have consistent HP levels, or is there some RNG involved?

Temper Edge - Impressive LRM dumbfire kill on the Jenner. Destruction of the shutdown Kit Foxes could have been more visually impressive without the laser shots being out of range, but this is minor complaint.
The "dancing" whilst waiting for the mission to end annoys me, but that's just my tastes - but to be fair to the runner, there is almost 6 minutes of nothing for the runner to do before the end.

Sable Flame - Were those headshots on the Hellbringers? Nice shooting. I'm guessing some mechs have easier hitboxes for headshots which is why you do legs for most of the run? The last Hellbringer kill is impressive due to moving off before the kill confirmed.

Scorching Sand - Impressive SRM shots on the turrets whilst flying through the air. Great visual, impressive to watch.

Trial 2 - Taking out both Jenners at once looks great.

Cold Crescent - Timing of shutdowns really shines through here, and jetting backwards to the dustoff point whilst staying on target is also impressive.

Velvet Hammer - I was wondering what the purpose of shutting down when pushing the limo was until I saw it work properly. It does make you wonder how much time could be saved, but also does look frustratingly difficult to pull off.

Golden Spade - Impressive visually due to how much is going on at once, the whole thing looks chaotic and challenging.

Those were the comments I had whilst watching the run. The level of play is very high, many kills are visually impressive. No issues with AV.
Accept.

The main thing with this game is hit detection, and then proper alignment with the nav points. Sometimes the ballistics will phase through things and in flame tongue especially, you need to avoid those 3 mechs that move while you're shooting at the pumping station.

Yes, some mechs have easier head hitboxes than others. The biggest ones are novas, hellbringers, dire wolves, jenners, and firemoths.

Velvet Hammer's hover limo's hit detection is finicky becaause it constantly tries to realign itself while you're pushing it, so it usually likes to squirm away while you're doing so.

Dropship hit detection in this game is really weird. The bounding spheres are scattered sometimes, so it makes things difficult to hit on occasion.

You didn't like my dance? I'm sorry to hear that lol. I figured I would provide some entertainment while we waited all that time xP.

Cold Crescent required a lot of resets due to how startup rng works in this game.
Don't take the dance comment seriously, it's just me having no sense of humour! All good
Edit history:
LotBlind: 2022-05-31 01:23:10 pm
A/V: Good job fixing the garbledness now. No complaints are left. Except apparently you recorded Trial 3 before doing whatever you did? It looks very messy.

I also didn't like your dancing. I think you should really stick to speedrunning from now on.

Velvet Hammer looks like the mission that's the most likely to see improvements. At least it looks visually tantalizingly easy to pull off. That's not something you can do with the hovertrain in the Jade Falcon mission is it? Or with a dropship if you jump high in the air? What a sight that would be.

I see no reason not to

accept
Quote from LotBlind:
A/V: Good job fixing the garbledness now. No complaints are left. Except apparently you recorder Trial 3 before doing whatever you did? It looks very messy.

I also didn't like your dancing. I think you should really stick to speedrunning from now on.

Velvet Hammer looks like the mission that's the most likely to see improvements. At least it looks visually tantalizingly easy to pull off. That's not something you can do with the hovertrain in the Jade Falcon mission is it? Or with a dropship if you jump high in the air? What a sight that would be.

I see no reason not to

accept

Nah, you can't do it in umber wall. Even if you could, I'm pretty sure the level would break.

Trust me, the strat in Velvet Hammer is harder than it looks.

Sheesh no one liked the dance lol. Tough crowd.

Also I did try going far away and pushing the dropship toward the the dustoff on Temper Edge. I even made a whole video of me trying to do it because I was sick of waiting 10 min every time I restarted a run lol
To be honest, I also always think about what I can do to make dull segments or levels more interesting by showing off glitches or something, so long as it doesn't introduce lag.

Good job thinking of those options.
Edit history:
PROX: 2022-05-31 01:33:56 pm
PROX: 2022-05-31 01:33:56 pm
This is a video of me messing around with the dropship hoping to push it forward and maybe save a bit of time, but eventually I realized that the mission is on a set timer. This is especially evident when I tried destroying the dropship

I watched the end of that video (good that it exists for when the next person tries to improve on it). From an outsider's point of view, destroying your ONLY WAY TO LEAVE THE PLANET seems like it could well be thought to have negative consequences to the perceived success of the mission as a whole. Maybe in other missions you're okay to do that then?
Quote from LotBlind:
I watched the end of that video (good that it exists for when the next person tries to improve on it). From an outsider's point of view, destroying your ONLY WAY TO LEAVE THE PLANET seems like it could well be thought to have negative consequences to the perceived success of the mission as a whole. Maybe in other missions you're okay to do that then?

LOL yeah definitely, but games are coded the way that they are. I was hoping that maybe the mission would succeed faster somehow, but the main point was showing how the objectives worked. I remember trying to push the dropship on scorching sand, but the dropship was too fast for my mech, so it didn't matter. That mission is on a fixed timer anyways.
Decision posted.
Edit history:
PROX: 2022-07-04 03:58:46 am
PROX: 2022-07-04 03:58:20 am
PROX: 2022-07-04 03:55:35 am
So on the game page, I noticed that there were a couple of mistakes on the timing for this campaign. Trials 1 and 2 are not the times that were displayed on the timer at the end of those missions. At first I thought you only counted the final screen rather than the timers, but then I noticed that you guys corrected yourselves later on in trials 3 and 4 and timed everything perfectly for Jade Falcon lol. Trial 1's time is 1:01 and Trial 2's is 0:44
Thanks for checking that! Will be fixed very soon.