Sad
1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: https://speeddemosarchive.com/MechWarrior2.html

MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat () (pc) [Any %] [Individual Level] [Campaign: Jade Falcon]

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to 'PROX'!
Thread title:  
Run Information

MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat () (pc) [Any %] [Individual Level] [Campaign: Jade Falcon]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/MechWarrior2-20221221/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). If you wish to remain anonymous, you can also send a pm with your reply to 'sdaverification' (please state clearly in that case which run you have verified). This is not a contest where the majority wins - Each verification will be judged on its content.
Edit history:
LotBlind: 2023-01-05 03:18:47 pm
Okay, I think we can and should incorporate these into the next update that has those other recent improvements too. Then if there's more later, we'll wait like 6 months before posting those (so no rush submitting). It's better for viewers to have more to see in one go.

A/V: Good throughout.

Cheating: Can't see it with the naked eye at least!

Gameplay: I guess most missions have this kind of dip-in-dip-out structure. I can't say I remember how any of these used to look before and I'll take your word for this being faster XD

Well okay I just checked for future reference: Rogue Chariot is -4 seconds, Burning Chrome is -1 second and Pyre Light -2 seconds.

accept as improvements to existing runs!

PS: I noticed a slight discrepancy on the gamepage. The Jade Falcon missions have just "Trial X" whereas Wolf has "Trial of Position #X". Is the latter the official name from the game?
Quote from LotBlind:
Okay, I think we can and should incorporate these into the next update that has those other recent improvements too. Then if there's more later, we'll wait like 6 months before posting those (so no rush submitting). It's better for viewers to have more to see in one go.

A/V: Good throughout.

Cheating: Can't see it with the naked eye at least!

Gameplay: I guess most missions have this kind of dip-in-dip-out structure. I can't say I remember how any of these used to look before and I'll take your word for this being faster XD

Well okay I just checked for future reference: Rogue Chariot is -4 seconds, Burning Chrome is -1 second and Pyre Light -2 seconds.

accept as improvements to existing runs!

PS: I noticed a slight discrepancy on the gamepage. The Jade Falcon missions have just "Trial X" whereas Wolf has "Trial of Position #X". Is the latter the official name from the game?

I actually never noticed the difference, but yeah, there is lol. I know that the devs made a few goofs on terminology and there are a few spelling errors here and there as well. Also I'll hold off on more submissions until the next update. I have a few more, but they can wait
Nice improvements. The new vids look very similar to the previous ones. But as explained in the run comments, new equipment is used with better speed/range to shave off that little bit of time.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but just wanted to check if trichording already had been tested in this game?

Accept
(trichording meaning can you move sideways + forwards at the same time at an angle to move faster than just forwards)
Formerly known as Skullboy
A/V is fine. No cheating detected.

The increased rate of fire definitely shows if you watch these with the currently published runs. These are faster. 

Accept. Keep up the great work!
Quote from ktwo:
Nice improvements. The new vids look very similar to the previous ones. But as explained in the run comments, new equipment is used with better speed/range to shave off that little bit of time.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but just wanted to check if trichording already had been tested in this game?

Accept

you can jet diagonally, it's definitely doable. The thing is aligning with nav points
But is it faster to move diagonally than straight? The effect can be rather subtle and not necessarily noticeable by just playing. But it's easy to test by doing a recording of the same section with the two movement methods and see if there is a difference. For information, I have an experience on my own with this for a somewhat similar game: https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/extreme_assault__september_25_2019.html#.
Quote from ktwo:
But is it faster to move diagonally than straight? The effect can be rather subtle and not necessarily noticeable by just playing. But it's easy to test by doing a recording of the same section with the two movement methods and see if there is a difference. For information, I have an experience on my own with this for a somewhat similar game: https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/extreme_assault__september_25_2019.html#.

It can be, but since you're jetting in 2 different directions, you're probably not going to reach your top speed as fast as you would going straight
I'm not quite sure what "jetting in 2 different directions" means in this context, but everyday logic doesn't necessarily apply when it comes to video games, so I think it can be difficult to try and reason your way to an answer in cases like this.

Is there a problem doing a quick test to determine which movement method is faster? I don't mean to send you down an investigative rabbit hole, but this should be pretty quick and easy to test (at least it was in my game).
Edit history:
PROX: 2023-01-18 05:02:40 pm
Quote from ktwo:
I'm not quite sure what "jetting in 2 different directions" means in this context, but everyday logic doesn't necessarily apply when it comes to video games, so I think it can be difficult to try and reason your way to an answer in cases like this.

Is there a problem doing a quick test to determine which movement method is faster? I don't mean to send you down an investigative rabbit hole, but this should be pretty quick and easy to test (at least it was in my game).

to jet diagonally it involves jetting forward and sideways at once, it is doable, and you will eventually reach your top speed, but it'll be slower to reach said top speed. It's also fun trying to do that while angling yourself towards a nav point you need to be at.
Maybe it's just me, but I still have trouble understanding what you were trying say, so I decided to test it myself. You have a throttle button that moves you in the direction you're heading and you have buttons that activate side-jets for turning. The side-jets don't make you strafe, but will instead constantly make you turn. So as far as I can see, it's not possible to move diagonally in a straight line. In summary, I therefore don't see trichording as applicable in this game.

Sorry if this is what you were trying to explain from the start, but it was at least not completely clear to me. So I decided to write the above with my own words, as maybe it will be of help to others who don't know the game.
Technically it wouldn't be trichording but bichording in this case since trichording means there's three axes of acceleration.
Decision posted.
Quote from ktwo:
Maybe it's just me, but I still have trouble understanding what you were trying say, so I decided to test it myself. You have a throttle button that moves you in the direction you're heading and you have buttons that activate side-jets for turning. The side-jets don't make you strafe, but will instead constantly make you turn. So as far as I can see, it's not possible to move diagonally in a straight line. In summary, I therefore don't see trichording as applicable in this game.

Sorry if this is what you were trying to explain from the start, but it was at least not completely clear to me. So I decided to write the above with my own words, as maybe it will be of help to others who don't know the game.

Are you aware that you can jet in any direction? I've jetted diagonally before. There are jets that make you move to the side rather than just rotate. The problem with that is that if you use your side jets while using forward jetting, you can lose speed, so you would have to hit the forward and side jets at the same time to jet diagonally. You probably didn't configure your controls to have that. What you're thinking of is turning the mech while jetting which allows it to rotate faster than normal
No, I was not aware of that. I admit that I only played the game very briefly. I just tested one mech in a tutorial level and couldn't find a way to strafe. So if there are upgrades, different mechs or more advanced control schemes, I did not test those. Thanks for clarifying.