Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2014-01-02 05:17:01 pm
mikwuyma: 2014-01-01 05:49:17 pm
mikwuyma: 2013-12-31 06:20:21 pm
mikwuyma: 2013-12-31 05:35:42 pm
mikwuyma: 2013-12-31 05:31:40 pm
mikwuyma: 2013-12-31 05:26:41 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
I know it's hard to keep track of all of the forum posts with what's going on, so I decided to consolidate all of the basic information that might help people into this one post.

NOTE: I would recommend getting the function space diagram, which you can download here. Alternate link here in case if my dropbox link doesn't work.

Function Space Diagram Legend

Marathon room = Salon A + B

Practice room = Salon C

Food and watching room = Reagan and Dulles

General Gaming room = O'Hare and Laguardia

The Location, arriving, and departing

We are located at the Crowne Plaza Dulles, the address is below:

2200 Centreville Road
Herndon, VA 20170

Phone number: 703-471-6700

Please write this info down in case if you get lost!

If you are coming in from Dulles, you go to the curbside pickup and go to H2 for the shuttle. The website says A2, but it is wrong. The shuttle comes roughly around the 15 and 45 minute mark of each hour, and it runs 24/7. The shuttle can take 10 people at a time.

When departing to Dulles, you can ask the front desk when the shuttle comes, but again, it's about every half hour at the front of the hotel.

If you are coming in and/or departing from National, BWI, or a train/bus station, then hopefully you have a ride arranged, or you have a shuttle or taxi arranged.

For International Travelers

When you encounter US Customs, just say you are here for travel or to meet friends. You could also say you are going to a convention.

By all means, DO NOT mention fundraising or charity. While AGDQ is a fundraiser that raises money for charity. If you mention fundraising as a reason why you are coming, the authorities might want paperwork proving that you are raising funds for charity. Don't believe me? Ask Metasigma what happened to him at the US-Canada border trying to attend C4L.

If customs asks where you are staying, you're staying at the Crowne Plaza Dulles in Herndon, VA. If you need an address and/or phone number, it's in the location and getting there part of this guide.

Registration

Checking into your hotel room

Go to the front desk, and if you're the person who reserved the room  If you are not the one who reserved the hotel room, and you are arriving earlier than the person who reserved, then make sure the person who reserved puts your *real* name down so you can also check in. Personal identification tends not to have your forum nickname on it. Tongue Checkin is at 3 PM

Also, having roommates' phone numbers help in case if there are problems.

If you are paying by card then the hotel puts a 15 dollar hold on your card until you check out (they waive it when you check out). If you are paying by cash then you have to put in a 50 dollar deposit toward your rooms.

Checkout is at noon.

Registering for AGDQ

Go to the marathon room and on the left side in Salon A, there will be a registration desk where you can register and pick up your badge. Keep your badge on you at all times while attending the marathon, it's how we know you registered! If you ordered an attendee T-shirt, they should be available on the night of the 4th, when the Frys come in. We will also have labels for your equipment at the registration desk.

Miscellaneous

-Even though I will be providing a lot of TVs (at least 27, likely more than that if an offer I received comes through), if you can bring one, it would be highly appreciated. We cannot have enough TVs.

-Don't leave your games and and consoles lying around. Even though we will have labels, we also have a lot of people attending the event this year, which makes it easier to lose items.

-The mini fridge is right below the TV in a cabinet. It's not immediately visible when you walk inside your hotel room, you'll have to open up the cabinet.

-If you are staying at the hotel, there is a Breakfast Buffet from 6am - 10am. You just need to be part of our group to partake in the buffet. There is also a 15% discount at the hotel restaurant, Houlihan's. If you wear your badge they will immediately identify you with the discount, if you're not wearing badge (though you should be if you're in the hotel), just say you're part of the Awesome Games Done Quick event.

You can look at Houlihan's menu here.

-Prevent Cancer will be bringing food around 12-1 PM into the food and watching room each day. The one exception is Sunday the 5th, they'll be bringing in food about 1:30 or so so it doesn't coincide with the start of the marathon. Some examples are Bertucci's, Red Hot and Blue (BBQ), and a Moe's Taco Bar (Moes is similar to chipotle).

-There is a grocery store (Giant) and laundromat on the same street as the hotel, head left onto centreville road/elden st, and they will both be on your left in a shopping center. If you are heading toward the overpass, you went in the opposite direction of the Giant and laundromat.

-There will be two microwaves in the food and watching room to heat up food. It is also the only conference room to eat food. Strict, I know, but I don't want the rooms to be a mess. Feel free to eat in your hotel rooms.

-The difference between the practice room and general gaming room is that the practice room is given priority for practicing AGDQ runs, and all multiplayer stuff such as Chu Chu Rocket, Smash, and the side tournaments take place in the General Gaming room.
Thread title:  
Quote from mikwuyma:
-... Chu Chu Rocket ... takes place in the General Gaming room.

I UNDERSTAND AND AGREE TO THESE FINE RULES.
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2013-12-31 06:30:48 pm
For international visitors from the EU, make sure you have applied for and have been granted your ESTA visa waiver (https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/application.html) Although these usually are approved immediately, give 72 hours just to be safe (i.e. RIGHT NOW if you haven't). Also try to bring a credit card, it's very useful in the US even if it isn't commonly used in your home country. And as Uyama said, try to just give "visiting friends" as the reason for your travel. It's not technically wrong and it gets you through customs fairly easily for most EU countries.
Not a walrus
Just a quick, stupid question, the main room is JUST Salon A, right? We aren't tearing down the wall and using B?
Judging from the room layouts, the marathon room will be Salons A and B.
It is salon a and b, otherwise we wouldn't have enough space to seat everyone.
Edit history:
Judgy: 2013-12-31 05:52:59 pm
Borderlands 2 Glitch Hunter/ router.
I will add something quickly If you are rooming with people outside of your native country and need to contact them Skype on your phone seems to be a good way to do this without getting a huge bill at the end of it, so add roomies on skype and DL the skype app to your phones.
Student No. 41269
If we arrive after the person who reserved the room checks in, do we still go to the front desk to receive our room key?  Given my current travel plans/departure time, I may or may not arrive before Judgy. Tongue

Also, do we just need to give our name and the email signed up for AGDQ when registering or should we be ready with ID?
Edit history:
SMK: 2013-12-31 06:30:52 pm
Quote from LLCoolDave:
For international visitors from the EU, make sure you have applied for and have been granted your ESTA visa waiver (https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/application.htm) Although these usually are approved immediately, give 72 hours just to be safe (i.e. RIGHT NOW if you haven't). Also try to bring a credit card, it's very useful in the US even if it isn't commonly used in your home country. And as Uyama said, try to just give "visiting friends" as the reason for your travel. It's not technically wrong and it gets you through customs fairly easily for most EU countries.

You're missing an 'l' on the end of that url (it should be https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/application.html).
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2013-12-31 06:46:24 pm
Squall: After the person checks in? As long as he tells/told front desk your name, you should be fine.

About registration, name and email should be fine. I'll only need an ID if something doesn't match.

SMK: Fixed the link.
Thanks for all the great info.
See you all this weekend.
Good advice, thanks. I was wondering about a few of these things as a first time marathon goer.
The Great Farming Empire
Any word on cosplay at the marathon? :3 #AGDQCon

On a more serious note, any news about the side-events and what should be done about them?
Dogi the wallcrusher
Quote from Judgy:
I will add something quickly If you are rooming with people outside of your native country and need to contact them Skype on your phone seems to be a good way to do this without getting a huge bill at the end of it, so add roomies on skype and DL the skype app to your phones.

Pretty solid advice right here.
Exoray
Note that people from outside the US will likely not have data roaming on (since it's expensive as hell) so skype is unlikely to be used and you'd still need to call the regular number.
Caution: This user contains Kana ^_^
Just another note on simplifying customs for international travellers after what happened to me for C4L: DO NOT by any means suggest that these friends you are visiting are internet friends. If you've met them in person, all should be well ~.~'
Knowing me I'll end up saying "yeh I'm here for a fundraiser with internet friends"
Damn it
I'm addicted to games
You could also just say you're visiting as a tourist.
question, not sure if this should go here: what happens if we have to check out noon on the 12th but my flight isn't until 7 PM that night? Is there somewhere I can safely put my luggage if I want to stick around for a few hours of bonus stream, or will I have to carry my stuff around?
Crawlathon WR, get down on my level.
Quote from Almo:
question, not sure if this should go here: what happens if we have to check out noon on the 12th but my flight isn't until 7 PM that night? Is there somewhere I can safely put my luggage if I want to stick around for a few hours of bonus stream, or will I have to carry my stuff around?

Ultimately it's going to be your responsibility to keep an eye on it.

That said, if there's room, you can probably have someone watch it in the casual/food room.
Quote from Cool Matty:
Quote from Almo:

Ultimately it's going to be your responsibility to keep an eye on it.

That said, if there's room, you can probably have someone watch it in the casual/food room.

Maybe someone would be kind enough to let you keep your luggage in there room they are staying in until you need to grab it and go.
Quote from Almo:

Most hotels will check your luggage for a few hours, you can ask the front desk when you arrive, if not find someone that will be around to store your stuff in their room
Yea I've yet to come across a hotel that doesn't have a little area they can store your bags for a few hours.
Glad my fanboy lvls aren't THIS high
Quote from mikwuyma:
If you are coming in from Dulles, you go to the curbside pickup and go to H2 for the shuttle. The website says A2, but it is wrong. The shuttle comes roughly around the 15 and 45 minute mark of each hour, and it runs 24/7. The shuttle can take 10 people at a time.

I probably should have asked this earlier, but anyway, in regards to the shuttle, do we need to let the hotel know that we are at the pickup point, or will the shuttle be there regardless of who's there?  Also, does the shuttle need to know if you're reserved a stay at the hotel to confirm that they aren't picking up just any random person?  Got to make sure that I get my bearings straight and do things properly before arriving.
I agree with Studio and thadarkman78...the hotel will definitely be able to hold your luggage for you for a few hours. (they usually store them in a room close to if not behind the front desk)  It would probably be best to do it this way instead of storing it in another room.  That way, you won't have to worry about tracking anyone down to go back to their room when you are set to go.