List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
NeverGG: 2013-09-25 01:09:21 pm
NeverGG: 2013-09-25 01:08:44 pm
NeverGG: 2013-09-25 01:08:28 pm
NeverGG: 2013-09-25 01:07:29 pm
Hello SDA, I came across this game recently and have always been a huge fan of Nifflas games. I've decided to throw this bounty up for the game mostly to give attention to the game itself, but also for a fun little competition. I believe getting a good time on this game will really be skill based on controlling ball bounces which works like an updated Within A Deep Forest for those who have played that. I could see routing this game being a pain in itself So I'm giving a flexible amount of time for the bounty.

So, As is I'll give $100 to the best recorded single segment Any% time either submitted to SDA and accepted, or recorded on twitch and saved in an archive where all can view. I'm setting the deadline for December 31st 2013 ( or 2 months after in-game timer update is released )
For the run itself, Just start the timer the second you gain control of the character in the menu and stop it the second you lose control when you reach the final area and get the final cut-scene. No other rules apply, just beat the game as fast as you can.

As for a description of the game itself it, It consists of 3 parts. the first two are short tutorial segments showing how to play as either sprite form or ball form. The third part is where the game opens up and really starts and you're able to explore the full world changing between the two shapes. The map is HUGE and maze like. The objective is to reach certain points on the map and after reaching each the final area can be accessed. To enter each of these areas you will need to give the doorkeepers either items gathered from doing your choice of different side quests, or objects found on the map involving platforming puzzles to get. This is where the real routing will come in, deciding which order of quests or items to find to get to which areas of the map in what order. no areas are locked and you can go anywhere on the map in any order other than the final area.

The game is on PS3 and PC. It isn't yet on steam but will be soon. you can get it for PC, as well as find more info, here:
http://nifflas.ni2.se/?page=Knytt+Underground
( Note, it isn't a free game but it is cheap being an indie game )

Here's a bit of gameplay to check out:

And to end this post, Seeing as there isn't another thread for this game. This thread can be used for discussions and planning of the run as well as discussion for the bounty itself.

-EDITED DEADLINE DUE TO LOADING TIME PROBLEMS THROUGHOUT GAME LEADING TO A LOT OF MINUTES LOST FOR SOME PEOPLE AND UNFAIR ADVANTAGES TO OTHERS. DEVELOPER STATED IN-GAME TIMER WILL BE AN INCLUDED FEATURE IN FUTURE UPDATE, SO ATTEMPTING TO EXTEND DATE TO ALLOW FOR RUNS AFTER UPDATE. (which's date has not yet been announced) IF UPDATE DOESN'T COME OUT BEFORE END OF YEAR THE BOUNTY WILL BE CLOSED WITH CURRENT RESULTS. (which will be kind of anti-climactic)
Thread title:  
Limbos Top F*cking Idiot
The game looks very cool. I may give this a crack when it comes out on pc.
Quote from ImRuKus:
The game looks very cool. I may give this a crack when it comes out on pc.

It is out on PC at the moment, but not on steam yet. You can get the digital version of the game for $15 at:
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-KNYTT/knytt-underground
or
https://sites.fastspring.com/ripstone/instant/knyttunderground
this game is very nice although it takes a good route to chapter 3 that is quite long xD
I do believe the run will be over 2 or 3 hours, just how fast it can be done will vary however. I think coming to learn and master the "Disorder" ( For those who haven't played the disorder is a different realm within the game that functions as a smaller version of the world. There are tons of entrances to it throughout the world and exits within it can take you to multiple places on the map MUCH faster than trying to walk all the way across the map. However, you can only spend a limited amount of time in the disorder before getting to an exit, and the disorder can only be used 9 times during a game. ) will really contribute to shaving off huge chunks of time. you could do one of the main quests where then the next quest is on the other side of the world, and use the disorder to get there faster assuming you have the requirements to do that quest as well. The run won't be a short 1 hour run, but i also don't think it will be too extremely long once a good route is discovered.
Willing to teach you the impossible
Please dont underestimate dedicated runners. If you believe a good run (you did not say that but I much assume it) will be 2-3 hours and given your post count, I would put this game game around the 1:30 mark unless the game is broken some how to lower it more.
I'm going to kill the suspens. The chapter 3 is completely breakable, and as you guessed NeverGG, all is happening in the Disorder.

In this dimension, there are four well hided teleporters that lead you directly to four of the bells (the final one and the Utopioca's one can't be reached by going through the disorder).
I found those hints in a community forum. Here is the link to the actual solution : http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/knytt-underground/184477-knytt-underground-trophy-guide-roadmap.html#post3310734

So, even if the first two chapters are done normally (I beat them in 12min and 9min but the time can be lowered easily for the second one because I don't do well in the ball form), the final time for the entire run should be close to 40-45min. I've done my first whole run in like 52 minutes yesterday but I think I can go nearly 10 minutes under with a better route and better skill.

I will upload a video of a good run as soon as I can, but I've got a lot of work so it can take a little while.

And if anyone wants to try, it's a beautiful game to run and the music calms you totally even if you are often raging =)
Edit history:
NeverGG: 2013-04-12 09:55:42 am
NeverGG: 2013-04-12 06:46:01 am
Sounds sweet. I know the maker said there is TONS of secrets all through-out the game. some easy to find and some very hidden. Will be interesting to see what the final result is once things have been discovered.
Fucking Weeaboo
You can get the game for less via Indie Royale. It's about $5 for that plus a few other games. Windows, Mac, and Desura code.

http://www.indieroyale.com/
Quote from Sir VG:
You can get the game for less via Indie Royale. It's about $5 for that plus a few other games. Windows, Mac, and Desura code.

http://www.indieroyale.com/

Thanks for the heads up!
Edit history:
Mobiusman: 2013-04-12 05:46:23 pm
So here's a video of the start of the game (PC version), which involves no interesting skips or tricks whatsoever. I'm just posting this to check I'm using the same strats as Arkum and whoever else is working on the game, and also so people can laugh at how bad my Bob control is.

Routing this part of the game only takes a couple of hours, but chapter 3 is so complicated I think it will take several weeks to get right. Should be fun though Smiley
Edit history:
Arkum: 2013-04-14 03:46:38 pm
Arkum: 2013-04-14 03:46:37 pm
Arkum: 2013-04-14 03:46:33 pm
Arkum: 2013-04-14 03:46:32 pm
Nice work Mobiusman, and good split on the first two parts.
I just found a little bit of improvement possible on the way to the second gem : when you are waiting on the button with the robot coming on you, stay until the very last moment possible, and you will be able to bypass the screen underneath because the block will be still transparent when you will be able to reach it. You can skip the interlude too, going to the menu and the returning to the hall of the beggining. Finally, you can disable a few dialogs by turning tutorial off in the menu.

What i am curious about is your controls : in my game i can wall jump vertically, like in the first knytt so I can win a bit of time on the climbing of vertical shafts. Can't you do it ? If not on what version of the game are you playing ?

I'm on holiday for two weeks and even if I have to study for my exams, I will work on the recording of a run. I'm pretty happy about my route right now on the third chapter so I guess I'll just have to go for it ! (and of course, practice a lot on Bob because he is a pain to control but can save a lot of time during the run).

I will try to write down some of my notes, and the maps that i'm using for the third chapter so everyone can try and improve the route maybe.
Quote from Arkum:
I just found a little bit of improvement possible on the way to the second gem : when you are waiting on the button with the robot coming on you, stay until the very last moment possible, and you will be able to bypass the screen underneath because the block will be still transparent when you will be able to reach it. You can skip the interlude too, going to the menu and the returning to the hall of the beggining. Finally, you can disable a few dialogs by turning tutorial off in the menu.

Thanks for these tips Smiley I knew you could skip the interlude, but I just forgot about it when I was recording, haha.
Quote from Arkum:
What i am curious about is your controls : in my game i can wall jump vertically, like in the first knytt so I can win a bit of time on the climbing of vertical shafts. Can't you do it ? If not on what version of the game are you playing ?

I only just found out you can bind "jump" to a different key to "climb". Time for more practice!
Quote from Arkum:
I'm on holiday for two weeks and even if I have to study for my exams, I will work on the recording of a run. I'm pretty happy about my route right now on the third chapter so I guess I'll just have to go for it ! (and of course, practice a lot on Bob because he is a pain to control but can save a lot of time during the run).

I will try to write down some of my notes, and the maps that i'm using for the third chapter so everyone can try and improve the route maybe.

I don't have time to work on chapter 3 right now, but in a few weeks I will probably post my own notes. Looking forward to your runs either way!
Other categories would be pretty interesting for this game. I think it would be hard to determine what constitutes a 100% in this game, but a disorderless category could be pretty cool. Not that it's part of the bounty, just speculating.
My first recorded run is online ! I made it in 42:30 !
The link is here :

So the first two chapters are quite bad, I had to retry the puzzle to the second artifact, I die a lot with Bob but i'm not too bad at the end. And I weren't trying to do a perfect run (I think I can go under 20min, maybe 19).
The third chapter is pretty nice I think, but at the end I lost a lot of time by taking wrong paths and losing myself in the game (I must say I haven't trained this part a lot, because it was quite easy).
In the end the time is under what I thought I could do. I was pretty sure about getting under the 45min mark but now I know that it is pretty easy to do and I can even see myself getting under 40 min.

The most difficult moves (on which I reset a lot) are in the disorder when I try to get to the secret teleporters to the bells. I even had to retry one of the disorder trips in this run, and so I lost a minute on the second bell. The hardest one is the bottom left one, I tried to do it by the left but the bounces are too hard to control. That's why I use the right side of the pillar to jump to the left side of it. I was very happy to do it the first time here, because I get angry very quickly on this part of the run otherwise.

So now I think my world record (wow, that's strange to say that) will be beaten very quickly, but I will continue to improve the run.
The next upload will be the sub-40, and I hope it will be soon.
I think your video is set to private, please change it so we can check it out!
I fixed that, sorry. I just rewatched this and I can't belive I got that time with so much crap...
Edit history:
z1mb0bw4y: 2013-04-17 05:09:47 pm
z1mb0bw4y: 2013-04-17 04:44:20 pm
z1mb0bw4y: 2013-04-17 02:37:57 pm
Gets the cake.
This game looks hugely fun. The graphics of nightsky with platforming and ball-bouncing? Yes please.

Giving this a download and I'll take a crack and improving the route and doing some runs when I get a chance. Arkum seems to have paved the way pretty well so far, though =P

Edit: Starting to learn the game, you can save at least 1 min on ch 1 and probably more than that on 2 with good luck. That ball is a bitch to control though... That said I think sub40 is a good goal time for now. I'll learn ch3 later today and try to do a full run tonight, maybe.

edit again: just did ch1 in 10:55, can still go lower. Let me try to fraps a run of ch1 to show the "little things" that I'm doing.

edit again again: ch1 in 10:50 with a couple deaths, currently compressing the fraps files and I'll upload.
Edit history:
z1mb0bw4y: 2013-04-17 06:41:27 pm
Gets the cake.

PS thanks for introducing me to this game, it's super fun.
Edit history:
NeverGG: 2013-04-17 06:46:31 pm
Sweet runs so far. There will probably be a lot of really close times where it all comes down to ball control.

Quote from z1mb0bw4y:
PS thanks for introducing me to this game, it's super fun.

NP, I've been a fan of nifflas games ever since the first knytt came out. There's a pretty nice community already for his other games as well like knytt stories, within a deep forest and of course nightsky has become pretty popular lately
Edit history:
z1mb0bw4y: 2013-04-17 08:41:14 pm
z1mb0bw4y: 2013-04-17 07:12:16 pm
z1mb0bw4y: 2013-04-17 07:08:57 pm
z1mb0bw4y: 2013-04-17 07:05:53 pm
Gets the cake.
Quote from NeverGG:
Sweet runs so far. There will probably be a lot of really close times where it all comes down to ball control.

This is what I'm going to focus on mostly. I think this might be the first game I've speedrun where I'll practice basic character movement =P

edit: found a cool trick in ch 2 that saves a few seconds, uploading a vid now.

The most consistent way to do this trick is to come in from the left, start bouncing up and down directly below the opening, and then hold up left and press A for a short time.

edit again: got a 6:30 ch2 time, at least another 30s can come off of that. Manipulating the ball is hard, but gets pretty manageable with practice, especially since the game only forces it on you for this section.
Looks like someone is having a lot of fun. Zimbobway your first chapter run is impressive, but the trick on chapter two is in my opinion too hard to try on a full game run. Nice work though Wink

I gave myself a little training session earlier this day and I ended going on a full run on the second training run of the first two chapters ("wow, my time isn't bad so far, let's give it a shot"). I ended up crashing throught my old record by finishing the game in 38:45 =D.

The route was the same that the other one, my respective first two chapters splits were 11:48 and 19:35 which isn't bad I think, but quite far from Zimbobway's PB on each one of them. I won like 1:30 on the third chapter, I assume it was because of the route problems on my 42:30 run and the disorder fail on the second bell. I also tried to use the ball a little more on the sections where i can grab some time with it. I definetly think that the key to win time now that I am under 39min is the control of the ball and the constant use of it on short sections, so I am going to train more with it.

Anyways, good luck on running everyone !
Edit history:
z1mb0bw4y: 2013-04-18 04:59:37 pm
Gets the cake.
Quote from Arkum:
Looks like someone is having a lot of fun. Zimbobway your first chapter run is impressive, but the trick on chapter two is in my opinion too hard to try on a full game run. Nice work though Wink

I gave myself a little training session earlier this day and I ended going on a full run on the second training run of the first two chapters ("wow, my time isn't bad so far, let's give it a shot"). I ended up crashing throught my old record by finishing the game in 38:45 =D.

The route was the same that the other one, my respective first two chapters splits were 11:48 and 19:35 which isn't bad I think, but quite far from Zimbobway's PB on each one of them. I won like 1:30 on the third chapter, I assume it was because of the route problems on my 42:30 run and the disorder fail on the second bell. I also tried to use the ball a little more on the sections where i can grab some time with it. I definetly think that the key to win time now that I am under 39min is the control of the ball and the constant use of it on short sections, so I am going to train more with it.

Anyways, good luck on running everyone !

The ch2 trick isn't too hard if you practice it a few times. The most consistent way is to come into the screen with the grapple-guy, get full bounce, then hold up+left and press A just after. I can get it first or second try every time I do it, and even if you fail it a few times you still save time over the normal route (you save about 12s if you get it first try, I think).

Congrats on the new record. I can't wait until I have time to learn ch3, I'm gunning for your time =P

Edit: I did two runs of ch 1+2 during downtime at school today. My splits at the end of ch 2 were 18:25 for one and 18:15 for the other. Both of these included running to the chapter start areas and whatnot. I REALLY need to get around to learning ch 3...
Gets the cake.
I'm trying to learn your route from that first vid you posted (the 42:xx run), and what is it you're trying to do for the 2nd bit in the disorder? Should I go around like you do the 2nd time through, or is that some kind of backup strat for a tough trick that I should practice?
Edit history:
Arkum: 2013-04-19 02:09:21 pm
The second run in the disorder is a fail because I didn't remembered how to rooms were, and that's why later on, I prefer to light some of the rooms up by standing still for a couple of seconds to know where to go. So the good route is the retry after the fail.

http://thaiwonders.com/documents/nifflas/KU_disorder_map.png
In this link is a map of the disorder. The first bell is the bottom-right one, and I start from the (12;33) room. The second bell is the top-right one and I start in (12;36) and I choke at (14;33). As you see, the four rooms for the bells are quite hidden and you can find them only using some tricks and hidden tunnels, on which you should practice a lot because it's kinda hard at the beggining.

Edit : http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8403/8602342249_f81849a942_b.jpg
        https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Au7S-LXW3ZZCdEJTcHJYYUZfQTY4R2NOQ1lhZGE3emc#gid=0
These can help you too to find your way through...