Hyperzone (ntscus) (snes) [Any %] [Single Segment]

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to 'AggroSky'!
Thread title:  
Run Information

Hyperzone (ntscus) (snes) [Any %] [Single Segment]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/HyperZone-20170125/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). If you wish to remain anonymous, you can also send a pm with your reply to 'sdaverification' (please state clearly in that case which run you have verified). This is not a contest where the majority wins - Each verification will be judged on its content.
Insane Killer Robot
A/V good, no cheating detected. This is a very solid run, albeit with a few mistakes, but AggroSky is well aware of the mistakes and they don't cost a huge amount of time. Really nice skipping 2 of the ship upgrades and beating PJ's time. The audio commentary is also very well done. Fully giving this one an accept.
Edit history:
PJ: 2017-01-31 10:51:18 pm
Is PJ
A/V look great, audio commentary is synced.  ^_^

I must say, it's a bit weird hearing someone go ahead and attempt my full name instead of just using PJ.  Hahahaha.

AggroSky and I corresponded for a bit about Hyperzone improvements, and I was really glad to hear that someone else finally decided to seriously pick up this game!  No fewer than 6 other runners attempted to beat my time and quit, but there was still so much time to come off.  In addition to the double ship upgrade that AggroSky nailed, my run still had some slop here and there.  While this improvement still has some unnecessary hits, it is notably cleaner than my run even if you ignore the double ship upgrade.  Managing your score in this game is surprisingly tricky at places (i.e. the end of stage 4), and killing enough enemies in stage 5 to get both upgrades is really tight.

Most of the hits he took in this run were just grazing blows that don't slow you down very much (including the traditional stage 6 laser hit!).  There were only a few really solid costly hits.  The main improvement to this run (and the reason I never tried to improve my PB!) is taking advantage of the incredibly inconsistent invincibility glitch on the stage 6 boss and his refight.  I absolutely don't blame him for not getting it though, because there is absolutely zero way to manipulate it.  The first "meatball" boss fight was really rough, too.  I know how that goes, though.  If you break a middle meatball and then fire a few shots in that gap, you lose a ton of time.  The flower fights were definitely above average here though!

Things I didn't know before watching/listening to this:
1. The final ship doesn't lose speed as it travels OoB!  Hahahahaha.  I noticed my speed was at 448 during the entire last stretch of stage 7, but never even thought it was because of the ship.  I just assumed you didn't lose speed over those seams.  That is really good to know.
2. The final boss trick to avoid his hesitation prior to the screen charge!  Really good find!

This was a really solid run.  I'm not going to lie, this is definitely making me interested in trying again.  Haha.  Thanks for the improvement, and thanks for submitting!  Cheesy

Absolutely accept.
Borderlands 2 Glitch Hunter/ router.
Keeping this concise as I feel CBX and PJ have mentioned everything worthy of saying.

A/V: Good
Cheating: None
Gameplay: Solid Gameplay, a few scrapes here and there but no major time lost because of these, Bosses all get dispatched quickly, Marvelous.

ACCEPT.
Thanks everyone! I am honored that you all approve of my run! I just uploaded the text for the comments section so I think I am done as far as submitting everything I need.

PJ, thank you so much for being such a great sport (I imagine if you take the time to try and beat this run I'll have to extend you the same courtesy :P. But competition is good!). I really appreciate your feedback and I hope I pronounced your name right... I even looked up the pronunciation ;D. But I feel I owe you a debt of gratitude for running this game in the first place and as a result, pushing me to complete my own and even beat your time. It's a great feeling for sure. I may even try my hand at running some other types of games... Contra Hard Corps comes to mind.... Hmmmm....

I'm also glad you learned a few things. I actually giggled a little when I heard you talking about not losing any speed on stage 7 during that final stretch as I knew the reason why lol. And yeah, my meatball boss fights could still really use some improvement. If I would have done better on both of them I could have saved something like 20 seconds, at least. So yeah, a sub 23 minute run of this game is entirely possible, maybe even sub 22 (although that would require absolute perfection). But I will say, this run wasn't easy. The skip two ship trick takes a long time to master, and was tricky to pull off. But obviously, it can be done, consistently even. I have about a dozen full runs capped that I may go through and see if I can't put together a segmented run that beats this time. That would be interesting...

Anyway, all of you, I appreciate the feedback and votes of confidence! Like I said, it makes me want to tackle another game, although as I mention in my notes, I am more of a SHMUP 1CC/1LC guy. But speed running appeals to me... Also an FYI, when this gets verified (because it looks like it will be at this point) I'll be putting up a duplicate on my YT channel with my raw video quality. I also wrote a 4300 word synopsis of speed running and this run that I will be publishing on my website, complete with animated gifs and screen caps of the run at certain points. I used some of the same text for my notes here on SDA but the other version will be more in depth.

If anyone has any other questions, I'm all ears. And thanks again for the support!
Decision posted.
Just an FYI, I wrote a really in depth companion piece to this run over at Gaming Rebellion which you can find here:

http://www.gamingrebellion.com/2017/02/hyperzone-lesson-crafting-world-record-speed-run/

It's in essence an expanded version of my notes I wrote here on SDA (which has yet to be published) that includes lots of images and animated GIFS. Also at the top of the article is a link to the run on YT. I also gave the entire run a makeover with a custom layout for each stage with all the ships, bosses and enemies represented while I am playing through the game. The commentary is included as well. You may want to check it out if you're curious as I think it adds to the run.

And again, thanks for the support everyone! thumbsup