List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/GrandTheftAutoVC.html

Jamie 'mongoanytime' Stone's PS2 run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Approved. The video quality is okay. The gameplay quality, though, is simply amazing. The first segment is almost flawless and the few small mistakes in segments 2 and 3 are totally eclipsed by how insanely lucky he got (when he needs to find specific cars that are randomly scattered around Vice City). No cheating and everything is consistent

Also, If I remember correctly, the only important version differences between PS2 and PC are the lock-on ability and longer load times (PS2)

Quote:
The video and audio quality seemed fine.

There was no cheating I noticed...although at that resolution its harder to spot.

Comments time - I will use CannibalK9's run for comparison. The times are very close. However, Cannibal's was done in a SS as opposed to 3 segments. Cannibal's was also more precise overall, seemed more polished, and had better driving in the cars. On the other hand, this run had some risky shortcuts that shaved some time off, and there were significant improvements in a couple of the property missions (mostly due to being segmented). There was a trick used that cut over 30 seconds off the last of the Kaufman cab missions. Also, there was much less driving around looking for cars for the Showroom. Lastly, there were no failed attempts on the Driver's Ed money making mini-missions.

In short, its a very good start and definitely SDA-worthy but will probably be improved some day.

Quote:
No cheating. Gameplay's mostly solid (very good seg#1, acceptable/good seg#2-3) and there's the odd trick I haven't seen before that works well. No real problems with the video other than it was obviously recorded from a VHS tape. The video's also very choppy, but that's from the game rather than any recording problems.

Quote:
Cheating
Although I don’t know why this happens, and it’s probably nothing, there are skid marks on the ground in front of the marker where you go to Cortez’s party and meet him for the first time. Only the player’s car can make skid marks there, and yet it’s his first time going there.

Quality (Capture)
Could have used better picture quality. Audio has no problems.

Quality (Gameplay)
Segment 1
Really good and fast driving through out the whole segment.
Pulls off the chef-kill roll-out-of-car trick.
Loses 2 seconds when he misses picking up the automatic pistol at first.
Of course, he uses that instead of the hammer for the next mission.
Uses two well-aimed grenades to skip most of the “Riot” mission.
Loses 2-3 seconds when he crashes into the edge of a bush and almost spins out.
Handles all the Haitians very well in “Guardian Angels”, including the one on the bike near the end.
Of course, he also uses the hop-into-boat-while-its-still-on-the-line trick.
Loses 3 seconds when a truck rams him into a building while he’s driving the tank.
The rest goes really well.

Segment 2
Loses 2 second when he gets stuck on an elevator.
Nothing slows him down in the next mission.
After this, he does the Cone Crazy money scam (intentionally getting a high time and beating it by one second each time to get the increasing reward), and the Pole Position asset trick (keeps going in and out of the room to speed up the process).
Manages to get a car needed for the Sunshine Autos asset on the way to it.
This segment also involves a long Cherry Popper’s asset and searches for some cars, both of which go perfectly.
Instead of docking the boat and getting out, he jumps it out of the water to the house.
There are no mistakes for the next 10 minutes.

Segment 3
Manages to get a tough-to-get car during the start of the segment by tossing the driver out and not venturing too far away from his main mission. He gets back into it once the cab is no longer needed. It’s killing two birds with one stone.
Manages to find the other (rare) car he needs right after the phone call he needs to take to progress.
Uses a the prize racecar to get around instead of the slow cab he’s given.
All his luck so far runs out when the first taxi manages to blow up his car, forcing him to quickly locate another one.
Instead of waiting until the timer runs out, he destroys all the cabs, which saves it from ticking down to 0 from the remaining 36.
Uses the helicopter to get back to the print works.
Capping the collectors goes fine too.
The last mission is one a timer, so there’s not a lot to say about it.
Uses an awesome strategy against Lance by using a grenade on him and then executing him with the chainsaw. This prevents him from going up to the roof, spawning more bad guys, and needing to be killed there. This also means you’d have to come back down.

Timing
The timer at the end says 1:53.

Importance
This run is really good. It took CannibalK9’s strategy and used it for the console version. Pretty much everything I can say I’ve already said in my verification for the PC version. There are limited mistakes, and half are not even runner-caused. Getting the luck he did at the start of Segment 3 (and during some other parts like the Cherry Popper and chef-killing) is a one-time deal. More segmenting would just cause more time to accumulate because you’d need to go out of your way to save the game. Only having three segments is very impressive. This should go on to SDA, even though the video quality is a bit touchy (to me anyway).

Decision: Accepted

Reason: Everyone agrees that this was a very well-optimized run with few mistakes and incredible luck that is roughly on par with CannibalK9's run.

I am aware this run hasn't been posted yet, I am going to time it tonight.
Thread title: