Sad
1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Ghosts 'n Goblins (Any %) (Single Segment) (ntscus) (nes)

Verifier Responses

Quote from DK28:
Simply incredible!  This has always been one of the best runs at SDA.  Although most of us believe this is one of the hardest NES games, kareshi will let you know it isn't and prove it with runs like this.  Post it!

Quote from Boxfat:
The author's comments pretty much sum up the run in terms of execution and routing quality!

Video and audio are good, and I don't see anything that would signify any cheating.

Mistakes are not too big here. If anything, the final boss fight was worth a bit of a chuckle - I'm sure we can all relate to brain farts at the very end of a run.

Any hesitations or backtracks or safe strats are completely justifiable and not very costly in the context of the whole run. This run very much shows off the type of quality that SDA strives for. This is a fantastic run, and I hope you all watch it when it's live on the site.

This first accept is a trap devisut by Satan.

Congraturation, this second accept is happy end. Thank you.

Verification over.

Quote:
A/V: Ok.
No cheating detected.

Solid improvement over the old run. Love the damage boost over the wall. Even on this version the arremer mocking dance is amusing to watch. It looked like this run dodged a bullet quite a few times so I'm happy to see it succeeded. Accepted!

Quote from RedArremer:
Gyah gah gah gah! Caw caw caw! Gyah-gi-gi keeshaw! Caw-caw!

(Video quality is good, no cheating detected. This is a fantastic run, and a good improvement on the current SDA run. Accept!)

Quote from TheMexicanRunner:
About the time:
To me is really strange I have clear that the timer should start when the hero touches the ground but to finish the timer can be after the boss fight in the black screen or after last hit in the boss, I am not sure if you can still move the hero during boss death animation, anyway I finished the timer on the black screen after boss death animation and my total time was a little below 20:52.

Total Time:  20:51.968

A/V: are good no signs of cheating detected

Decision: Accepted

About the run:
This game is really challenging and i have to say it is really impressive and difficult to be able to finish a deathless run with a decent amount of RNG.
I believe that having the knife should be a little bit faster but still a great job. Congrats Kareshi.
Individual level personal opinion:
Level 1:
Good Stage but choppy boss fight and no lucky knife drop.
Level 2:
Overall Good including boss fight
Level 3:
First half was good except for the bat, but the second half you got trolled by some demons. Almost quick kill in the Dragon boss.
Level 4:
I like the way the while standing in the right of the cloud is making you fall. Very solid Dragon fight.
Level 5:
I little bad RNG in the Golem guys but really nice damage boost in the flying demon. Awesome Red Devil Boss fight.
Level 6:
Not sure why you decided to kill the last Golem guy? But maybe there is something i don't know. Good Boss fight with almost a death.
Last Boss?:
I love this game illation.
Loop Level 1:
Unlucky Spear drop. Good boss fight.
Loop Level 2:
Troll Golem guy but still decent level. So so boss fight
Loop Level 3:
So many enemies starting the level cost you loose your armour, hence you had to play a bit safer the red devil and loose time grabbing armor. Good boss fight.
Loop Level 4:
A bit tense with no armour second half, but you did manage very well to don't die
Loop Level 5:
Well Done in this one, specially with the golems
Loop Level 6:
Very nice level and awesome boss fight
Real Boss:
Die Monster!, a little bit slower than optimal but very nice over all

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Daniel 'kareshi' Brown!
Thread title:  
Is PJ
I thought I signed up for this verification but I guess I was wrong.  Great run, kareshi!  It's really impressive how low you pushed this.
Get over here!
Congrats kareshi!
StarSong Hype
Great run Kareshi! I still can't manage a deathless run ;_;
Edit history:
kareshi: 2014-05-29 09:46:01 am
Quote from Boxfat:
Any hesitations or backtracks or safe strats are completely justifiable and not very costly in the context of the whole run.

I had been YOLO-strating the Red Devils for so long and failing so many times, I decided to safe strat them, and then like three attempts later I got this run.

Quote from TheMexicanRunner:
About the time:
To me is really strange I have clear that the timer should start when the hero touches the ground but to finish the timer can be after the boss fight in the black screen or after last hit in the boss, I am not sure if you can still move the hero during boss death animation, anyway I finished the timer on the black screen after boss death animation and my total time was a little below 20:52.
Total Time:  20:51.968

OK, let's talk timing. I base 20:52 on the usual "start of control / end of control" idea. As I'm falling towards the ground in Stage 1, I can actually kick my feet, so the character is under my control, but in the middle of a fall. Perhaps I could shoot too, I've never tried. In any case, even with the lack of forward motion, it IS the start of control.
And for the ending, I actually had a question about that some years back. If you land a death blow on the final boss, it will always go to the Congraturation screen even if Arthur himself was hit by a fatal shot. So basically, as soon as you throw a shield with the proper trajectory, you can't not finish the game. So you can "win" a second or whatever ahead of the black screen. Regardless, I do still have control of my character during the boss death animation, so I end the timing at the black screen.

Quote:
Level 1:
no lucky knife drop.

This isn't possible due to the weapons cycle from a fresh console power-on. I would have to stand around and wait in order to get a knife in Loop 1 Stage 1.

Quote:
Level 5:
I little bad RNG in the Golem guys but really nice damage boost in the flying demon. Awesome Red Devil Boss fight.

The trolls are fixed behaviors, mostly. I actually had very good fortune that one didn't spawn. The damage boost is rather new for me.

Quote:
Level 6:
Not sure why you decided to kill the last Golem guy?

He would have seen me and rushed at me and fired a spike ball. There's a chance that I could have gotten away, but if a burrito spawned in the wall in front of me, it would have slowed me down too much. So I didn't chance it.

Quote:
Unlucky Spear drop.

It happened in my last run too. But I think the time saved with a knife isn't big enough to overcome time saved/lost from RNG overall.

Quote:
Loop Level 2:
Troll Golem guy

This is about the best troll pattern I can hope for! I only had to kill one.

Thank you to DK28, Boxfat, ______, RedArremer, and TheMexicanRunner!
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
Thank you kareshi.  Congrats again on a great run.