--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Fladervy: 2015-11-18 06:02:15 pm
Fladervy: 2015-11-18 06:01:55 pm
Thanks a lot for the info, Mylexsi. I hope I can escape from this hole now...

Edit: I'M FINALLY FREE
Wait, what input was that again?
You've got to be kidding me... Welp, I'm dead.
What would you say if I told you 1:42 is possible? Feasible, even.
Oh no...
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2015-11-22 03:35:33 pm
A JC strat I forgot to post for months. 90% sure this is faster.

Quote from Mylexsi:

-video-

9 seconds flat from touching the wall to defeating Serpentine

Fladervy's WR beats Serpentine in 10.3 seconds
So burg mentioned he got FD4 WR and we got to talking about strats, and one thing led to another and..

Well, FD4 is awful now.

Have fun.
That is disgustingly fast.
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2015-11-29 05:20:18 am
Hey look I did a thing!
On....er...FD1
This war will never die.

It works because boost physics in forced running sections are...well, wonky. you can boost in basically any direction you want from the floor, and even curve the boost.
Easier to get to grips with on robo panther, though i could never find a good way to use it on him.
Included the subsequent pogo phase to make ti easier to figure out how to deal with the new movement pattern.
So, do you, like, start a diagonal boost and then hold a direction to "rotate" Lilac into a vertical orientation, or is the method different? Can't try now, at school.
just boost then hold up.

This trick might be useful somewhere.
Edit history:
Chromatrope: 2015-12-05 09:29:16 am
So, after hitting my head for about half an hour, I managed to invent a new Dragon Valley strat for just past the miniboss, when boosting off the ledge.

The first JumpDive needs to happen on the horizontal edge. I'm holding down in the air and doing these second dives by down-cycloning and divekicking only a frame or two after. The last cyclone launch is pretty tight, there's a small window on the quarter pipe to actually launch, and you need to steer it horizontally immediately or you'll hit the ceiling. Also, do not hold up, or you'll be grabbing the ladder. This strat saves about half a second if I guesstimated it right.

There should actually be an even faster way to do this, as divekicking right off of the edge of the platform you land on after boosting puts you into the path of a Spore Pod, which will hitstun you just enough to land on the downslope and achieve maximum velocity. I have not been able to succesfully chain this into a cyclone launch, but it should be very possible to do this. The most obvious way to practice this is through restarting, as it'll reset the enemy, but you can also practice it by jumping forwards from the hangbar above the water and boosting when you're against the ceiling. This gives you enough room to divekick before hitting the platform, roll the divekick off of the platform and have it launch you into the downslope.

Please do report your findings on trying to maintain maximum velocity throughout this section, as my reflexes are not nearly good enough to do this.

Now, either of these should allow you to have full boost upon entering the third screen, so you can immediately boost and save some time. This means you won't have boost at the log, but this is not a problem due to another new strat I found. I don't actually have this on video right now as I can't be arsed to, but you jump from the log, extend that jump with a cyclone, divekick down the slope and jump off of it Fladervy style. This should send you soaring through the corkscrew. Then, where you would normally cyclone-launch ceiling walk, either jump or do a very short cyclone launch to put you right in front of the ceiling walk spot, and diagonally boost into it. Then, as soon as you are above the platform you'd normally boost over, boost again, as due to the ceiling walk you'll still have full meter. This strat only saves a little time, but it allows you to use that boost at the beginning of the third screen.

All in all, this strat-string should save some decent time, and could perhaps push us into a sub 2:36 Dragon Valley, though definitely not by me, as I'm not good enough to pull that off.

UPDATE: Got the entire strat string on video. It saves two whole seconds over the current way of doing it, and that is with a lot of room for improvement. I'd say about 0.2 seconds can be grabbed in the cyclone off the log, the roll cancel is also missing, which I am guesstimating at 0.3 seconds, and I'd say another 0.2 seconds due to me hitting the ceiling and thus slightly delaying my boost and consuming a little more meter due to being further away from the ceiling, delaying the next boost a bit more. I'd say if we got the maximum velocity version of this trick down, we'd be looking at perhaps even more than three seconds of timesave, bringing the possibility of sub-2:34 Dragon Valley. I have just murdered Dragon Valley without even being in the top five.

Edit history:
Fladervy: 2015-12-14 06:30:38 pm
Fladervy: 2015-12-13 02:16:27 pm
Fladervy: 2015-12-10 10:02:53 am

This can save 35-40 seconds.

Some Lilac strats:

It's possible to get more speed from the roof slope right after the dragon baloons. But you'll go so fast the jumpdive will make you miss the right roof. If this happens, the best option is a ground cyclone to go over the gap.
Quote from Fladervy:
Some Lilac strats:

Why is every strat you come up with simultaneously awesome and terrifying?
Well, one of those strats was pretty much 65% me, but I do suppose the way Flad does things is downright frightening. He spent like 3 hours getting that yellow room escape, even though not a single person on this planet could possibly consistently do it.

I'm also scared that I'm turning into the new flad. It took me less than one week to find and perfect the new DV strat, now including an extremely dope diagonal boost after the ceiling walk, and I completely rerouted the RM first screen in the same week, after which flad perfected it. I also spent about 1.5 hour comparing uppercuts and cyclone glides in RM with the bulb landing for a whopping .1 second timesave (it's more consistent though), and have not even gotten to Mantalith attempts yet because I'm too busy doing strat things.

Help.
Edit history:
Fladervy: 2016-01-01 09:22:29 am

So, I've decided to throw a collection of what I've come up with in the past month or two up here:

To begin, the new DV strat, the good one. I'd rate this the hardest trick in the stage now, but it can still be done very consistently.

Backup for the new RM strat:

A free timesave in Relic Maze:

A small optimization in Relic Maze 2:

The phase 3 in this Mantalith fight (nearly impossible to do consistently, don't bother):

This FN strat:

And the FN strat with a diveglide compared to upper red spring route, results as I expected:

Free time save in RM is 0.4-0.5s, the small optimization saves about .7 seconds or so, kicking the enemy is not required or faster, so ignore that, I have no idea about mantalith and the FN strat saves a good second or so when done right.
I bring you more stuff on Relic Maze!

This is a different version of the Relic Maze intro Flad posted, it's as fast but a lot safer and doesn't require a perfect cyclone launch at the beginning. The boost on the pillar needs to start at 5.25s, any later and you're wasting time, any earlier and the spike ball will be on the wrong cycle and hit you.

You guys remember that transfer jump in Yellow Room that you hate so much because you never get it right? Cuss no more, it is now no longer necessary. This strat saves time over pretty much any non-perfect transfer jump and ties a perfect one:

I've also found a way to more consistently do the RM2 tunnel boost, and it requires no springs or bizarre timing on your boost. All you need is to attach to the floor and ground-cyclone off of the edge, after which you divekick down the slope. The spring can be used as a backup, so this strat is a lot safer on top of being as fast as the original tunnel boost done right. The cyclone does require some steering but it is reflexive to me so I couldn't tell you what, try some stuff out and see what works for you.

If you do the uppercut strat in the post above to cross the gap at the health flower, this minor optimization will save 0.25 seconds, and is more consistent because you spend less time picking up crystals at the box:

And lastly, a third restart warp has been added. This one saves 0.8s in-game time the way it is done here, but Yuuki has informed me that it is possible to do this without turning around or cycloning, although it is tight. That would most likely bring it up to 1s of timesave.

Vanilla H is mai waifu
Would be cool if there were some web page who summarize every single techniques with all the characters.
I've seen there were already some page like that here (I play carol) :
https://kb.speeddemosarchive.com/Freedom_Planet/Mechanics_and_Bugs/Carol#Techniques
but it lacks video explanations + all the explanations of the zips/glitchs/skips, etc...
I know it's not a finished page, but I think that's something that should be made fastly to improve the overall level of the players in this game.

and when I find videos, they explain nothing.

I always want to train with carol, but I see so much strats and so many new techniques pop up that I can't even keep up.
as a non-native english user, I don't necessary fully understand text-only explanations, and I need videos to understand it.
Get cubed on son!
Quote from lecorbak:
Would be cool if there were some web page who summarize every single techniques with all the characters.
I've seen there were already some page like that here (I play carol) :
https://kb.speeddemosarchive.com/Freedom_Planet/Mechanics_and_Bugs/Carol#Techniques
but it lacks video explanations + all the explanations of the zips/glitchs/skips, etc...
I know it's not a finished page, but I think that's something that should be made fastly to improve the overall level of the players in this game.

and when I find videos, they explain nothing.

I always want to train with carol, but I see so much strats and so many new techniques pop up that I can't even keep up.
as a non-native english user, I don't necessary fully understand text-only explanations, and I need videos to understand it.

Yea, I would like to have some sort of detailed guide on these strats too, cept with milla cause i cant seem to get those super shield burst jumps down and i have tried replicating them just by watching fladervy's vids. I wanna do better but there is no explanation on how to do these tricks. Sad
wtf is a Carol
Quote from Chromatrope:
Quote from Mylexsi:

-video-

9 seconds flat from touching the wall to defeating Serpentine

Fladervy's WR beats Serpentine in 10.3 seconds

wtf is a wall, now are 6.

Hi, I wanted to say hi.
Quote from Mylexsi:

Can you repost the link to the file, because the previous download link states that the file no longer exist. If you could that would be great.