List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Heyyy... wait.. i don't know you. Don't confuse me
Quote from Carcinogen:
Pandora's box has been opened.

Just... True
Everything's better with Magitek
Awesome, I'll have to watch this.  It'll be interesting to see how things play out with this run now. Wink
There's a word for that
Ah, the long-awaited run is finally up! Time for some segment-skimming.

Comments~
-There was mention of Laser Eye earlier, and having watched this now I have a hunch that it would be faster than Renzokuken early on. It has a MUCH faster animation (especially factoring in Rough Divide), and the damage is comparable to Renzo on Ifrit, especially if Quistis hits Crisis Level 2. It's also slightly more efficient to have Squall attacking rather than Quistis due to his higher damage. At a guess it would be about the same speed as Renzo for Ifrit due to his high Spirit, BUT I'm CERTAIN that it will be HEAPS faster for farming the Fastitocalons! I'm talking maybe a minute or more here. One attack from Squall + one Laser Eye should be enough to kill one them, whereas in this run some of them took two whole Renzos!
-Segment 11 has audio! O_o
-Having watched some of these segments now, I think I can safely say that there's no need for Meltdown/Degenerator/yadayada, and Fire Ammo on the Oilboyles will save mimimal time so it's better to just take Irvine to Galbadia. Curse you game, and your broken and repetitive abilities!!! On the bright side, maybe now Diabolos can learn something else more useful...?
-Seg 18... a quick Ultima? Cheesy Still, it might be quicker just to attack 'em...
-Fire Ammo still has its use, but against single targets Fast Ammo is stronger if you have a quick trigger finger, especially since it seems to go critical quite often. It can be refined directly from Normal or Shotgun Ammo, or a GIM47N Card if they were nice enough to drop you one. However, it also runs out very quickly, even with 100 stock. Undecided On the other hand, Dark Ammo is weaker against single targets than plain old Normal Ammo, so unless you really need the status, there's no reason to use it.

Guess that's it then... most of the run is pretty straightforward, especially after getting Enc-None. I don't think there can be much that can be done differently in terms of battles, so a lot of this run for any runner will probably involve finding the quickest paths through scenes and scenarios, and running as well as possible. May the fastest text-skipper win! Tongue
King of hearts
*Wonders if anyone noticed how I turned off Renzo indicator in the Lunatic Pandora segment*

Huh, oh just thinking out loud...  I was bored...  Took a lot of practice though...
Hope rides alone.
its still a shame it wasn't accepted...FF8 needs a run so badly, and yours looked very promising...i still gotta say your skill and planning was impressive no matter what.
Especially the planning, since it usually takes a whole group of us to even touch a Japanese record.
Hope rides alone.
may I encourage you to try again? I strongly doubt anyone has the skill or speed or intuition you showed in that run and it sure rocked hard. too bad it has no sound, so watching was rather dumb Smiley still the low-level going with all STR junctions was impressive. come on, there will be a point in your life where you will hate yourself for not trying again. that is as sure as the sky looks blue. you know that, if you are honest with yourself. so, why not now?
King of hearts
The thing is, I was only going to upload my old run when I was 100% positive that I wasn't going to attempt the run again.  Took me a long time to think about it and I realized that I spent too much damn time redoing segments over and over.  Redoing the run would mean that I'd have to go through at least that much again trying to match, if not, surpass it.

Yeah there are times that I hate myself for not doing it again.  But I think if 2 damn years isn't enough time for me to do it again, then no amount of time is enough.  I'd rather leave my knowledge to someone fresh.  I have no care for credit so getting it done and showing I'm an x-pert gaemer means nothing to me.  I just think this game deserves a spot on SDA.
Quote from darkwasabi:
I finally got around to uploading all the files.

Great to finally see this. Thanks for that.

After watching the run, I have some comments/questions.

- Seed exam: You can skip the cutscene with the robot spider and Quistis by going into the pub just before the end.
- Train mission: You can easily enter the first 3 codes without going up, see
- 2nd Laguna dream: Isn't it faster to go down the first ladder (north on the screen where you fought the soldiers)?
- 2nd Laguna dream: Is that Spd-J scroll really worth making the detour to push the rock + the following dialogue + the extra encounter?
- Prison: isn't it faster to just use Angelo Cannon on the Prison boss?
- Back at Balamb Garden: You don't have to go to the Quad to advance the story. Clearing the Infirmary, Library and Training Center is enough. For proof:

- Occupation of Balamb Town: Is there a reason you go to the train station before getting the dog, or was this just a mistake?
- 4th Laguna dream: Isn't Kiros' Limit Break faster than Laguna's limit break against Ruby Dragon?
- going to Esthar: If you go to the infirmary you automatically arrive at FH, so you don't have to take the garden there manually, like this I'm not really sure if this is faster though.
- 5th Laguna dream: Isn't Ward's Limit break faster than using Ultima?
King of hearts
Quote from quezacotl21:
- Seed exam: You can skip the cutscene with the robot spider and Quistis by going into the pub just before the end.
- Train mission: You can easily enter the first 3 codes without going up, see
- 2nd Laguna dream: Isn't it faster to go down the first ladder (north on the screen where you fought the soldiers)?
- 2nd Laguna dream: Is that Spd-J scroll really worth making the detour to push the rock + the following dialogue + the extra encounter?
- Prison: isn't it faster to just use Angelo Cannon on the Prison boss?
- Back at Balamb Garden: You don't have to go to the Quad to advance the story. Clearing the Infirmary, Library and Training Center is enough. For proof:

- Occupation of Balamb Town: Is there a reason you go to the train station before getting the dog, or was this just a mistake?
- 4th Laguna dream: Isn't Kiros' Limit Break faster than Laguna's limit break against Ruby Dragon?
- going to Esthar: If you go to the infirmary you automatically arrive at FH, so you don't have to take the garden there manually, like this I'm not really sure if this is faster though.
- 5th Laguna dream: Isn't Ward's Limit break faster than using Ultima?

- Found out a while back, didn't know 3 years ago.
- Same as above
- I went that way because I used to set up that trap but realized it took longer than the battle it saves, got used to it and just kept going that way.  Might or might not be faster.  I did notice that and wrote it down in my notes to test if it's faster when I got to that segment again for my second attempt at the run, which obviously never happened.
- It's only 30 seconds out of the way after you consider the battle it saves.  Spd-J scroll is pretty useful and necessary for the Omega speed run extra I was going to do.  This would've been taken out in my second attempt since that part is extra and isn't worth slowing the normal run.
- Not sure on the top of my head but I do remember testing it out.  I think it wasn't strong enough or something.  Or maybe junction switching took too long for it to be worth it.
- I must've fudged up my experiments with those places.  Though I did spend a long time experimenting with that and doing all those places over and over while leaving one out to see what's necessary.  Not sure how I messed up...
- You need that to advance the story.
- Yes by like the 5 seconds it takes to junction switch it over and back.
- Didn't know that!  But it might not be faster...  Just checked, they actually both take 1 minute!  I didn't even have to watch the video because if you look at archive's thumbnail list and look at the screenshot in the middle near the bottom where Nida says "That area's terrain is..." and the next thumbnail is of Garden right in front of FH.  Each screenshot is spaced 1 minute appart.  Look at the youtube video and at 0:14 he says that and at 1:12 the cutscene starts...  OK so walking is like 3 or 4 seconds faster...
- I thought it was a nice change of pace but Ultima's animation was slightly longer than I remembered.  10 seconds could be saved here.  Didn't want to redo the segment for only that much since it went so well the first time.  Was going to do that in my second attempt.

Thanks for the comments.  Stuff like this is really helpful.  Can't find my notes that I used to have to use for my second attempt.  Wasn't much in there other than the little things mentioned here, accommodations made for the 6 less AP I get from getting into 1 encounter with Fastitocalon-Fs instead of 2, and a text skip in the Laguna dream in disc 2 but I haven't been able to reproduce it.
o.O
just watched the run (in about 40 mins or so....)

really good work, a shame you lost yous segments, would have deserved to be on sda otherwise =)

how long did you work on this(including the planning)?
I'll download all of this probably tonight or tomorrow. I saw up to the end of the Granaldo fight, and I've got a lot of travel time ahead of me for the SDA meet, so I'll have something to watch. I still really want to do this run.
King of hearts
Quote from paK0:
just watched the run (in about 40 mins or so....)

really good work, a shame you lost yous segments, would have deserved to be on sda otherwise =)

how long did you work on this(including the planning)?

Only took a few months total.  Planning took a very long time with me going through the game twice, writing everything down, going through using different strategies etcetera.  Execution took a little less, but still a long time from redoing segments to try to optimize fights(and those card battles).
Quote from Carcinogen:
I'll download all of this probably tonight or tomorrow. I saw up to the end of the Granaldo fight, and I've got a lot of travel time ahead of me for the SDA meet, so I'll have something to watch. I still really want to do this run.

Awesome that you are going where exactly is it being held?
really sorry that you can't submit due to some inconsistencies.  there really should be a rule change that unless an inconsistency affects the gameplay with some sort of advantage (having no hp at the end of one segment, full hp at the beginning of the next..when game doesn't do that) that it should be treated merely as a cosmetic mistake.  the small exp dif you mentioned wouldn't have mattered in the case of going through the segment just as well again with the same exact fights and enemies...so it's honestly retarded to be instantly rejected cause of that.  while there SHOULD be some limit to how many "cosmetic mistakes" someone can make...something like that in such a long run should be allowed...especially when it offers no advantage and doesn't affect the gameplay/skill of the run.

just my 2 cents Sad
Hope rides alone.
Quote from xXIkuto:
really sorry that you can't submit due to some inconsistencies.  there really should be a rule change that unless an inconsistency affects the gameplay with some sort of advantage (having no hp at the end of one segment, full hp at the beginning of the next..when game doesn't do that) that it should be treated merely as a cosmetic mistake.  the small exp dif you mentioned wouldn't have mattered in the case of going through the segment just as well again with the same exact fights and enemies...so it's honestly retarded to be instantly rejected cause of that.  while there SHOULD be some limit to how many "cosmetic mistakes" someone can make...something like that in such a long run should be allowed...especially when it offers no advantage and doesn't affect the gameplay/skill of the run.

just my 2 cents Sad

lets hammer this into mike! as i completely agree with all of your mentioned points. how about a vote in some SDA forum for this matter?
King of hearts
Way too late to do that to save this run since this the best quality I have for this run so it wouldn't get accepted anyway.  Plus I think the rule is good since people watching might feel conned if every other run had some kind of inconsistency due to people going back and redoing segments even after the run is submitted.  Allowing this would make verifying hell since the verifiers would be responsible for determining what affects the run and what doesn't.  I can already imagine people arguing back and forth about what's important and what's not.
Gotta agree with wasabi. Just because this run is long overdue, does not justify to break any of the rules, that are there for a reason. It is very unfortunate, agreed... but still. What would this run be if it weren't for the rules.
destroy them with lazers
You could always write a speedrunning guide to the game being as you now have the knowledge and probably a large amount of notes already collected.
We ( two friends and me) are going to write a guide based on the video from darkwasabis run.
But i can't promise, that it will be available in english.
In what language will it be written then? Maybe you can find someone to translate it to english.
everybody wanna tell you the meaning of music
German, so it won't be hard to find someone to translate to English.
If you don't mind, i could do that. Seeing how german is my native language and having learned english for the last 7 years. Contact me via PM if you have any questions so we don't go too far OT or start spamming here.
just a quick question, im working on a no leval no jucntion no the end speed run, whould this be aceptable?? undestanably it whould be a very long run...
If it were to fit in any category, low% would be it.