Sad
<- 1  -   of 28
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Professional Second Banana
Yeah, when I learn a new speedrun, I tend to learn best in sections (generally dungeon by dungeon for RPGs).  Emulators are great tools for practice; but as they have input lag differences from console (especially if you're playing with a CRT TV), I'd would not recommend using them to practice anything with precision inputs (mainly Slots manipulation for FF6 - pretty much everything else in the game is fine).  The most popular SNES emulators I know of are SNES9X, BizHawk, and Higan (I personally use BizHawk for FF6 practice since it supports named savestates).  All of those support USB inputs, so you can either use a USB controller or get one of those SNES controller to USB adapters.

Mr. MV's guide is definitely a great resource for learning the game - I'd also watch LCC's 4:48 run, as that's the fastest known run that doesn't use the "Sabinless" World of Ruin route (which is very beginner-unfriendly).

Glad to hear you're interested, both in FF6 and the SNES FF Relay. Smiley
Thanks for the reply puwexil! While I was waiting for some advice, I spent most of my time practicing slot manipulation on my console. So, ironically, that worked out just fine!

I've been studying MrMV's 5:00:08, 4:56:04, 4:55:50, as well as TheLCC's 4:50:31, all while comparing them to MrMV's route notes. I'll check out TheLCC's 4:48. And I first heard about the Sabinless WoR route from the Winter 2015 relay. I believe you said something to the effect of "TheLCC should do what his heart is telling him and go Sabinless." That does not sound like fun! But it's definitely something I will be looking into if/when I land sub 5:05.

Once my EasyCap and other components arrive, I'll be hitting it pretty hard. I'll stay in contact. I'll keep my completed runs uploaded to my YouTube channel (- NemesisMagic -) and my Twitch channel (NemesisMagic).

Highlights and softlocks will be there as well Roll Eyes
Edit history:
NemesisMagic: 2015-04-06 08:08:55 pm
Side note. My EasyCap device arrived. I'm currently experimenting with how to get the video and audio routed to my Twitch channel. I'm really REALLY bad at this sort of thing. If I'm still having trouble getting a clean stream set up, I may ask for some help via Skype, if anyone has some free time this week. I'd like to get things like images of SpeedRunsLive up on there too, so definitely a few questions about all of it.

Edit: The hardest part of this speedrun, from the looks of it, is getting this EasyCap to work!! Having absolutely 0 luck getting the audio to record.
Just so you know, I managed to trigger the ending in ff6j with arbitrary code execution. All information and video is here: http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=404974#404974
The description is a bit tough, sorry. For now, I don't have a clue on a non-assisted way of triggering it.
The trick is in short:
- Equip X-Ether, Gold Hairpin, Czarina Ring or Charm Bangle as a weapon with the equip anything glitch
- Rename some characters with specific names
- Attack at a specific moment so that the battle ticks high byte is C6 and another value in memory is CE, the last one being kind of random

At the end of the fight, the game triggers the ending
Finally made it to Kefka's Tower for the first time, with a very amateur (but very proud) 4:59:58.

Died to the famous Outsider/Madam combo at 5:15:02. This was my first time even making it past the Floating Continent. I'm definitely quite hyped.
Edit history:
NemesisMagic: 2015-04-17 07:10:40 am
I have completed my first full run of the game. Landed a time of 5:21:38 Smiley This was done in practice, before I got the capture device and Twitch channel set up. So I won't be submitting this time to the wiki, but now I have a full set of splits to combat against!!

Twitch channel is set up, but I'd like some advice on how to really make it look clean during an actual run, and how to set up Subscriber notifications and stuff like that. The capture device should be here next week (the new one, that is...) and I'll be streaming then. Hope to see you guys around!!

http://www.twitch.tv/nemesismagic
So I got a kind of weird question. (forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this)

I've watched speed running for a little while here (I love what you guys do on some of these games), and I've never really stepped into the ring on any game yet even though I've been thinking about it for quite a while. But I'd like someone to else categories and such to me, I mean their kind of straight forward but how do you pick what you want to run, and more so, if what you want to run isn't a category right now is it worth doing and then trying to find the people to verify it?

So what I'm thinking of doing is starting with FF6 (hence the post here), but I wanna do 100%, no glitch. And I mean 100% in a sense, all chests all abilities, all characters, all scenes. Basically the only things that would be skipped are things that are A or B options like the genji glove/ gauntlet option in the Returners Hideout. I want to DESTROY this game, I want to beat this game so hard it sits in the shower in the fetal position and never gets out.

BUT, I'd need some help going over the game and deciding what stuff is skipped (like WoR coli might be a grey area) and a road map for the run maybe, but mostly the rules for the new category really, it's kind of a new thing and I don't want to take a big undertaking if it's not going to get recognized.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, and thanks for reading! (feel free to move/delete this if it's in the wrong place) 
Professional Second Banana
The SDA-recognized 100% category for FF6 is All Characters & Espers (using all available glitches and in-game time savers), which any 100% runs submitted for verification/publication on the site would need to conform to.  You're more than welcome to use this thread to discuss planning/progress of your proposed 100% item collection run though.
Well it's been quite a while since I've picked up the game, I started a new game on it the other day and then got caught up with real stuff pretty quickly. So I thought I'd work out the run on paper first and see if it's even something worth doing before I commit all the time to practice it and everything.

There's a couple good guides out there already I've read through and your guys previous runs are obviously a huge help, but the biggest problem is about 90% of them are any%.

But as for  planning and stuff I figured it be a pretty standard run of 100% except with some extra stops here and there, as the way chests work in ff6, as I'm sure most of you know, if you don't grab the item from it in WoB it will change into something better (most of the time) in WoR so. I would probably say that there's some skips of some things here and there, but I was hoping to get some advice from the community on what you think the run would be as well, after I proposed it. Because like I said in my other post even with stuff that's skipped because you get it later, there's stuff you just straight of choose over another (like my example of the genji glove/gauntlet in Returners Hideout) and then WoR coli, which is generally skipped in most runs I've seen.
This is something that's going to definitely have to be fleshed out and then fleshed out again before it's tested 100 times over. I look forward to talking through this with anyone willing to contribute to it!
Deal with it!
@briziant: I can try to help you out. I'm nterested in seeing that. But first of all you would have to be very specific on what you want.
You said: "all chests all abilities, all characters, all scenes"
If you go for all chests, what about hidden Items not in a chest? There a plenty of those. Or would you rather go for at least 1 of every item?
"All scenes" is very vague too. This would include picking up at least 1 Ghost in the ghost train to see the scenes of it joining and leaving. Also this would mean that you go for shadow at every available point WoB. I guess you would rather want to go for "All Dungeons/Sidequests"
"All abilities" This one is tough. Most stuff is easy to get and require just some little grinding. However getting all rages would be the real pain, but adds in another level to the whole run. This means having to keep track of all the enemies and which you have encountered already. And a big grind in WoR to get them all.

Either way I would like to help and I think this will be fun Smiley
All Characters/Espers/Bosses/Chests+Sidequest items (no colosseum) would be the most reasonable run to do if you wanted to cover the missing content from the current 100% runs. You might also throw in the shadow dreams, but idk about that since it's just extra cutscenes that don't add anything interesting to the run. I think all of the upgraded chests in WoR don't give anything unique that you can't pick up earlier in the run. Same with genji/gauntlet; you can get either of them later on.

If you want to do a "true" 100% run you could definitely streamline rage learning and colosseum fights with a ton of routing and encounter manipulation, but both the run and the routing would be a huge time commitment. There will always be differing opinions on what the true 100% even is as well. Some might say you have to grind everyone to lvl 99 with all magic learned, perfect stats from esper bonuses, see all possible dialogue in the game, and other ridiculous stuff that nobody would ever be able to reasonably do in one sitting. One funny thing about FF6 is that there are a couple rages you can only get by glitching. There is also a cutscene with gau in albrook post-banquet that is only possible to see by doing a long series of convoluted airship glitches since it's normally not possible for him to be in your party at that point.

I agree with Wypy on All Scenes being near impossible to pin down as to what it actually entails. You would end up doing wacky stuff like eating food multiple times in the ghost train just to see all possible dialogue as well as backtrack to the broken down airship to see setzer and cid have a chat. You could also end up fight the narshe battles at the very beginning that is normally skipped by walking around the event tile that triggers them. Alternately you could have a rule where you only do scenes that actually fade out the screen to transition to other areas, but that could potentially have you not see some semi-relevant dialogue/story.
Edit history:
Audity: 2015-06-24 01:49:08 am
Audity: 2015-06-24 01:47:22 am
Audity: 2015-06-24 01:46:08 am
Audity: 2015-06-24 01:41:48 am
Audity: 2015-06-24 01:32:19 am
Audity: 2015-06-24 01:31:48 am
Audity: 2015-06-24 01:30:41 am
Audity: 2015-06-24 01:29:13 am
Audity: 2015-06-24 01:28:25 am
Quote from briziant:
So I got a kind of weird question. (forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this)

I've watched speed running for a little while here (I love what you guys do on some of these games), and I've never really stepped into the ring on any game yet even though I've been thinking about it for quite a while. But I'd like someone to else categories and such to me, I mean their kind of straight forward but how do you pick what you want to run, and more so, if what you want to run isn't a category right now is it worth doing and then trying to find the people to verify it?

So what I'm thinking of doing is starting with FF6 (hence the post here), but I wanna do 100%, no glitch. And I mean 100% in a sense, all chests all abilities, all characters, all scenes. Basically the only things that would be skipped are things that are A or B options like the genji glove/ gauntlet option in the Returners Hideout. I want to DESTROY this game, I want to beat this game so hard it sits in the shower in the fetal position and never gets out.

BUT, I'd need some help going over the game and deciding what stuff is skipped (like WoR coli might be a grey area) and a road map for the run maybe, but mostly the rules for the new category really, it's kind of a new thing and I don't want to take a big undertaking if it's not going to get recognized.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, and thanks for reading! (feel free to move/delete this if it's in the wrong place) 

Quote from briziant:
Well it's been quite a while since I've picked up the game, I started a new game on it the other day and then got caught up with real stuff pretty quickly. So I thought I'd work out the run on paper first and see if it's even something worth doing before I commit all the time to practice it and everything.

There's a couple good guides out there already I've read through and your guys previous runs are obviously a huge help, but the biggest problem is about 90% of them are any%.

But as for  planning and stuff I figured it be a pretty standard run of 100% except with some extra stops here and there, as the way chests work in ff6, as I'm sure most of you know, if you don't grab the item from it in WoB it will change into something better (most of the time) in WoR so. I would probably say that there's some skips of some things here and there, but I was hoping to get some advice from the community on what you think the run would be as well, after I proposed it. Because like I said in my other post even with stuff that's skipped because you get it later, there's stuff you just straight of choose over another (like my example of the genji glove/gauntlet in Returners Hideout) and then WoR coli, which is generally skipped in most runs I've seen.
This is something that's going to definitely have to be fleshed out and then fleshed out again before it's tested 100 times over. I look forward to talking through this with anyone willing to contribute to it!

I have also expressed interest in something like this, thinking even more about it recently with more in-depth thought than ever before. However, I think if you go REALLY deep into the game's completion, you're looking at making a TAS. TAS is interesting to me regarding that, since it shows the game as fast as possible, without having to stay up for 12+ hours playing a run of the game. LCC's post raises an interesting point, that if you're thinking of doing an RTA, you HAVE to eliminate certain things, like learning all the Rages, because that will eat up many hours, maybe even a whole day. In that sense, there's no real point in doing a 100% Destroy Game RTA. It's a realm left only up to TAS. It's unfortunate, since the importance of a TAS is to learn how to do RTA faster---except, since you can manipulate time/luck itself in a TAS, the methodology is completely different---and you're left with only Partial Strategies that work for RTA. These ARE helpful for a real time setting, which is why a TAS is worthwhile to learn from.

If you think about RTA further, the maximum enjoyment you can get out of this game in terms of getting absolutely everything, is to play it casually. You're trying to get the authentic experience of the whole game in an RTA (in the Destroy Game hypothetical category), but you're just doing a bunch of stuff that isn't really challenging.

If you talk to every NPC in a TAS, the text is going to be whirring by really fast. Do you find the maximum amount of frames to leave the dialog box open before everyone in the room starts feeling uncomfortable? Or is it left open for the minimum amount of time allowed, so that people can pause the video/run and comprehend the game at a better pace? (The answer is probably the latter, I just wanted to pose an odd question.)

Gau's Rages are actually an extremely interesting concept to look at. Literally everyone agrees that getting them takes absolutely too much time. But getting the Lores doesn't take nearly as long. But again, even leaving out the Rages, for an RTA of Destroy Game you are looking at an extremely long time sitting down to play the game, to the point where you might as well be playing it casually. Maybe I'm wrong on this, and some people are willing to sit down for 12 hours. It's not even healthy behavior, really... at all. But it can be done, and is done with some games (Xenogears).

Here is my document for Max Stats (!!!) + 100% Chests/Spells/Level/Abilities(lol)/Items(1 of each minus Illumina)/whatever TAS I started working on between 2013 + 2014: http://pastebin.com/sQtcbz7F

edit: Sometimes when I say "RTA" in this post, I might mean "casual" or "speedy casual". Because, for me personally I feel like I could learn a lot by developing TAS-like strategies for this game, like equipping Espers and items at certain times to learn spells at the most appropriate and longstanding meaningful times, instead of not being efficient at all. It's more like figuring out the game from a super personal standpoint, engrossing yourself in everything about it, to the point where you basically are the video game. I guess in that sense you would have to spend time in many realms of the game, TAS, RTA, Casual, Ultra Casual, and it becomes less about making knowledge known to other people and much more about understanding every mechanic (and then you end up not knowing 100% of anything anyway, because of memory addresses getting screwed up during some unknown situation, causing everything to go out of whack). And then you still try to explain it to people, lol.
Yeah, and that's why I made the post here really. I agree a true !00% run would take 12+ hours and I knew that when I came up with the run originally and that's why I've kind of put it off for so long. But talking with some people it seems like an interesting run, it would just all be in the planning really. I planned on having this be a glitch free run, unless there's something that ABSOLUTELY just screamed "you need this for 100%". so no sketch or joker doom.

As for abilities: The rage issue that Wypy brings up occurred to me and I wanted to logically work it in somehow without having a crazy long run, but I don't see it being possible (unless what LCC mentioned is possible for rage). I did however plan on having all the magic you learn from Espers on at least one character probably Terra or Celes as it would probably also rack up a huge chunk of time getting magic on everyone, Lore was another thing, I think that could probably stay as you can get about 80% of them just playing through the game if you have Strago in your party through it. Same thing goes for Mog's Dances so that wouldn't really be an issue either.

As for Items: Here one of the things I really wanted other opinions on. Because like Wypy said there's stuff in the game that's just laying around and getting that stuff would take a knowledge of the game I just don't have, and really don't have the time for. Unless there's a guide out there that's already went into the code and broken down exactly where everything is (I'm sure there is somewhere), but even then it'd still add about 2 hours onto the time just grabbing stuff.

As for all scenes: This was something else I was really unsure about. I wanted all of the "events" to be included (like LCC said with Shadow's dreams), but I was kind of unsure what constituted an event (in a general sense). I don't think talking to NPCs that don't trigger something is really all that important, but there's some spots where you would have to go back and switch characters to trigger certain things, and that may add abit of time as well.

Audity makes some good points, this may end up becoming more of a casual run and not a speed run, but even if that is the case I'm sure there's (probably) some way to flesh it out into a speed run. And I'm really open to anything, like I said I've been playing around with the idea for a while but never really did anything with it. Hell this might even turn into a longplay for all I know.

But thanks for the conversation and I'm really looking forward to seeing where this goes.
Deal with it!
If you are adding "All Abilities" + 1 of every Item(except Illumina) to the current 100% Category you will probably end up seein all major scenes anyway. And if you really want a big but still logically run, tis might be what you want. If you go for all magic and half of the abilities you can just go for all abilities.
With the rages I don't really see a problem. Yes as LCC mentions not all are obtainable without glitches but since you wanted to do it glitchless you can just exclude those and just get the available rages. while hunting for rages you can learn ton of magic so this is good. Also what makes getting all rages interesting is the Veldt manipulation and how crazy you could possibly go with it in such a run. This would also make the longest grinding part challenging to route because its not just grinding but also doing manipulation.
Been alittle while since I've been on here. And I've been playing through, when I get the time, and just testing the waters with some seed manipulation, and the biggest problem I have is that if I want to have the best possible seed for every instance, I feel like I'm resetting the game fairly frequently. Also I've been messing around with when to grind before certain battles, versus grinding when it makes you, like on lete and some of the other auto areas and just running from those, and I'm still on the fence about it. I've got acouple of save files going and trying different strats on each, and I'm at about a 6-8 hour mark on each of them.
Deal with it!
Whats up everyone? I'm here trying to revive some interest in the Glitchless Any% category. In my opinion this is still very underexplored and some may know that I used to try out new strats all the time. And in my opinion the "Nightshade"-Route shows the most promise and has the potential to be very fast. I got so many ideas for this but no time to physically do testruns and stuff for this, but I would always be available via messaging. So maybe someone wants to pick it up and optimize a route together with me (and maybe others if anyone wants to help). I would love to see a fully optimized Nightshade run in the future and a possibly new WR for this category.

PS: A reference video from 2013 and my 1st completed Nightshade run: http://www.twitch.tv/wypy/c/2493031
      Showing the potential it has in the final battles.
Suplexes Trains
Hey,

I think most people wanted to keep Glitchless as being a routing category and not a competitive one, at least this is what i felt. Glitchless can def be improved. I believe some people had some intention of going back to Glitchless but you never know.

I screen captured a JP Glitchless run form the WR owner of that category in Japan. That run wasn't the WR run but it is like 2min slower and was done after not too long after he got WR, so was probably the same route.

(Don't share the video, it's not mine)

I was also working on making the 52 game over glitch possible on RTA but I almost gave up on it.
Hello Everyone!

A friend introduced me to GDQ a few years ago, and since then I've been hooked. I've been poking around in twitch and youtube videos watching old runs and finally decided I wanted to join in!

I know I may have picked an ambitious starting point but FF VI has been one of my favorite games for as long as I can remember and I have had a lot of fun picking it back up and trying to figure out the routes and tricks I have been seeing.

I just wanted to jump on real quick and say hi, as well as ask for any advice/tips anyone might have for somebody starting out on this game. I have been watching and trying to copy everything I can, but any help would be greatly appreciated. I am currently trying to learn an any% glitchless run, but I am definitely going to play around with all of the categories to keep it fresh.
Suplexes Trains
Greetings JacenShydell,

If you are interesting in learning the game, we have a Discord where you can ask question about the game. https://discord.gg/7JzThbp

We also have a website where we post videos/notes of the game : https://sites.google.com/site/ff6speedruns/

Feel free to use both of those resources if you are interesting in FF6.