--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/Morrowind.html

Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, The (pc) (pc) [Any %] [Single Segment]

Decision: Reject

Reason: Needs to implement all known strategies and lacks polish.
Thread title:  
Run Information

Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, The (pc) (pc) [Any %] [Single Segment]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/Morrowind-20170209/Morrowind%20any%25%20speedrun%204.06%20wl.mp4

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). If you wish to remain anonymous, you can also send a pm with your reply to 'sdaverification' (please state clearly in that case which run you have verified). This is not a contest where the majority wins - Each verification will be judged on its content.
The Dork Knight himself.
A/V: Video is heavily washed out, not sure if that's an encoding issue or if the runner normally plays that way. The video is 1920x1080 with vertical black bars on the sides to fit the 4:3 video into a 16:9 frame. Was this video recorded at a lower resolution and then resized during encoding? The Fraps counter that shows up during loading screens is much larger than it should be if the game was actually recorded at this resolution. Framerate is only 30, was this due to system limitations? Audio is fine.

The video doesn't appear to have been timed correctly. According to the leaderboard for the game (http://www.speedrun.com/morrowind/full_game) this run ranks 4th with a time of 4 minutes and 6 seconds. Unfortunately the time listed there is the same both with and without loads, so I can't seem to figure out how the run was timed. When I tried to time it, I got roughly 4 minutes and 25 seconds. It's possible I didn't do the timing correctly.

Gameplay: Compared to the other runs for this game, this run doesn't hold up in play quality. There are many areas of hesitation and slow menu work.

2:10 - Opens up the inventory to change the map type from local to world. Is there a specific reason for this? Other runs don't make this change.
3:14 - Player lines up a long jump, then pauses for 5 seconds. I understand it's not the easiest jump to line up, but waiting for 5 seconds without moving the camera or character seems unpracticed.
3:58 - Picking up the Dwarven Halberd is slow, multiple attempts just to aim properly at it. Picking up Keening was also slow. Once picking up both weapons and the stat glitching begins, player immediately forgets where to go and tries to open the wrong door.
5:00 - Runner gets lost going to the next door after getting back outside.

The rest of the run has some choppy movements with the OOB sequences and lost time due to not going straight for the doors.

I don't want to be harsh, but runs of this length are expected to be heavily optimized. If this was the only run for this category then I'd be more lenient. As it stands, this run is about a minute slower than the current record listed on the community leaderboards. Even if Fatalis will never submit that run here, it still carries weight against any other runs of the same category and has to be used as a benchmark for comparison. I can forgive a few seconds, maybe even 10 to 15 seconds in a run of this length, but not a minute.

I hope the runner keeps working at this run and can come back with a much more polished submission.

Decision: Reject
(user is banned)
Edit history:
AntonioPeremin: 2017-02-15 05:19:38 am
Hi honorableJay.Thank You for your feedback.
The resolution is 800x600.
Yes my run is rank 4th with 4:06,the loads are not listed there because I manually cut out the loads and then submitted it on speerun.com.The run lenght is 4:06 not 4:25, You have not timed it correctly(I guess You didn´t consider enviroment loads that are 20 seconds).
2:10 I changed it so that I can find Vemynal on map faster (lost 1 second on that).
3:14 lost 4 seconds I was waiting for the fatigue to regenerate to 100% so that i could jump to Red mountain directly infront of Odrosal door.
3:58 lost 2 seconds on picking and was stuck on the door(but I stacked up 400 additional speed in that mistake).
5:00 lost 3 seconds on that.
I will keep working on on my Morrowind speedrun.

The Dork Knight himself.
Well here's how I timed the run:

I loaded the run in Avidemux to get proper timestamps and frame counts.
Removed all footage before the start of character control.
Removed all footage with a loading bar or the Fraps recording indicator, including the constant load sections during the jump sequences.
Ended timing after triggering the end sequence (used other runs as a reference since it's not entirely clear where this happens).
Final time came to 4:25.

I honestly can't tell what I may have missed. It's possible that by re-encoding it up to 1920x1080 resolution the framerate may have been unintentionally slowed down. This is one of the major reasons that we don't accept edited footage for submitted runs.
(user is banned)
Edit history:
AntonioPeremin: 2017-02-15 04:23:04 pm
AntonioPeremin: 2017-02-15 12:54:01 pm
AntonioPeremin: 2017-02-15 12:35:49 pm
AntonioPeremin: 2017-02-15 12:32:55 pm
AntonioPeremin: 2017-02-15 12:31:58 pm
"It's possible that by re-encoding it up to 1920x1080 resolution the framerate may have been unintentionally slowed down"-I think that You might be right.I have a non re-encoded(original).
I am so stupid then ,did not pay attention about that and did not know that it can affect loads. Sad  I apologize to the SDA community for my ignorance.
The Dork Knight himself.
Well it's not that it affects loading, but the video itself is being played slower than it should be. Unfortunately video encoding can be a mixed bag depending on what program you use. Some programs give you fine control over the video settings, others just assume what you want and spit out a bad video. If you ever do need help, the Tech Support section in the forums is a great place to post a quality test video or ask questions about recording/encoding.
(user is banned)
Edit history:
AntonioPeremin: 2017-02-15 02:04:21 pm
Ok thanks.If I understood it slowed it from 60 fps to 30.
(user is banned)
Edit history:
AntonioPeremin: 2017-02-15 04:34:48 pm
AntonioPeremin: 2017-02-15 04:34:05 pm
I was using now the program Avidemux and Movie maker and I got it timed between 4:06 and 4:07...
Originally I got it timed with Windows Movie Maker and converted to HD resolution...So now I´m confused...
Dragon Power Supreme
You should probably use yua to encode instead, or a different video editing program.
If it helps anyone, I've timed the above run to be 4:11, and the fps is actually 29.97, not 30.