1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Precursor
If you haven't read my long post in the primary planning thread yet, do so first. Then come back.

In light of this, here's the thing we need to do now. We need to find out how many runners, how many runs we have for the EU marathon, so we know that we can make a marathon of a meaningful length. So, if you're a runner, and you want to visit the European marathon and participate with one or more speedruns, then report it here.

What you need to list is game (duh), run type and time estimate. Optional information is if you already now have any idea for donation incentives, but that's not really important now, and obviously not something that can be applied to all games. Also, time estimates should be fairly generous - account for tournament luck and then layer another 5-10 minutes on top.

Also, only sign up here if you are reasonably sure you can attend even if it's not in your home country. Assume you'll have to travel to/within central Europe. Third week of August is when you're expected.

I'll be writing these things down in a spreadsheet which I will eventually make public, but I want a few more things on it first.

No general chatter about the marathon in this thread, please. Only listing of runs and discussing them.
Thread title:  
Precursor
And so, here's my runs:

Ufouria (NES)
It's one of those games that was never released in the US (well, until the Virtual Console release...), so I believe it fits the marathon. Plus, it's my main game to run.

Run type - 100% run. The difference in time between an any% and a 100% is about 20 minutes, mostly because in a 100% there's only one major detour, and most items skipped in an any% (that's most of them) only require very short strays from the path, if they're off the path at all. A 100% is more interesting in general. A low% is never happening because I don't hate myself enough.

Time estimate - 1:10:00. My 100% times tend to hover around 53 minutes, but there's many things that can go wrong. However most of them are fairly early in the game, once I start getting medicine bottles there should be no danger of dying ever, and only one trick will add a chunk of time if it fails the first time.

Umihara Kawase (DS)
Fast-paced and impressive to see being played well. Also, short run.

Run type - shortest path. Umihara Kawase has many, many different paths through the game - the shortest one visits only nine fields out of about fifty and has no bosses. Okay, one of the fields is technically a boss field, but it has two exits and the one used does not require "facing" the boss proper.

Time estimate - 0:15:00. This is a very generous estimate, as I consider any run over five minutes to be an absolutely terrible run. Time left can be used to fool around a little and show other parts of the game - and one of the fields in the path I take is pretty horrible, so there's that.

The following runs I'm less sure about:

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (X360)
If it happens it is very likely a multiplayer run. I expressed interest in running it, and Greenalink is running it, and there might be more people. So I'm potentially seeing a "casual speedy" multiplayer run, kind of like the Castle Crashers run I didn't watch at AGDQ2011, or the Magicka run I didn't watch at AGDQ2012.

Run type - Multiplayer, NG+ (characters with maxed stats). Probably highest difficulty.

Time estimate: I honestly have no idea, but probably no more than 1:00:00.

Donation incentives: Character choice. Six characters to choose from, the n highest will be played, where n is the number of players.

Duo Princess (PC)
You probably never heard of this game. It's a doujin action-slightly RPG-ish game, which at least is fast-paced. It's here to be considered a filler game, and can be inserted if there's a slot over for it. At the graveyard shift, maybe.

Run type - pure speed. You could technically do 100% kills/magic or no magic, but those would be stupid. A pure speed run is very nearly killing only the required enemies anyway and only one or two magics are skipped, depending on the character played.

Time estimate: 0:30:00. I regularly run this in about 20 minutes, but the penultimate boss can severely fuck up a run.

Donation incentives: Yeah, right. While this technically could be used for character choice, I really doubt anyone would ever donate for it. Thus I'll default to using Mint, because she's more exciting to watch and looks like she's faster even if I have fairly similar times with both characters.
Make it so.
One of the main problems for the games I run is that many of them have been done, and done well, at previous marathons. For example, I run Sonic 3 and Knuckles but while I get good times, I don't have the consistency that Mike89 does just yet and if he came then he would almost certainly be able to do a better run. So first off is a list of games I can run but might not be suitable due to other runners being better:

Sonic 3 and Knuckles

Run Type - Any% as Sonic Alone. I could possibly change it up to be a 100% run but since that's mainly just special stages I'm not sure if there would be interest in that.

Time Estimate - With good luck, I'd say a good estimate would be maybe 1:15:00. Hard to say for sure because I time by levels not by RTA timing, I'll do a few practice runs then update this time. Add 30 mins for 100%.

Donation Incentives - 100% run maybe?

Sonic 2
Again, I'm not Stanski. Or Mike89. But I can still run this in reasonable time, for example I have many times got a legit .19 on EH1 and I get the Chem Plant skip more often than not...

Run Type - Any%, just a standard run.

Time Estimate - 0:40:00, this might go down a bit, depending on practice.

Dynamite Headdy
Yet again, Zyre or Arrow would be better at this. I have had a single run which beat Arrow's old time on here though so I can run this reasonably well.

Run Type - Any%, 100% in this would just be stupid.

Time Estimate - about 1:00:00 to account for luck.

Donation Incentives - Tutorial stages.

And then we have the run I'm currently working on which hasn't been done at a marathon before and could potentially be of some interest to some:

Pokemon Sapphire

Run Type - Marathon safe SS. I will need to change up my SS strats slightly to make them a bit safer for this but I dont imagine too much time would be wasted.

Time Estimate - 3:30:00. This is way way over what it should take me, just wanna keep it high for now, it's easier to change later. My current goal for my actual SS is something like 2:20/2:30 so marathon strats shouldn't add more than about 15 mins, then *possibly* more to account for luck and those bloody randomly facing trainers.

Donation Incentives - Character names, Pokemon names obviously. A possible additional challenge is, if people would want to see it, I could flick over to Pokemon White and beat Cynthia (mostly level 80s or so) with a team of level 1 pokemon...
WOW.
I don't know if I can come yet, with money and all, but I really hope to be there. Here is what I can do:

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim (360)

Run Type - SS, most likely the route that the current practise run takes

Estimated time: The run will most likely be about 1h 30mins so I would put an estimate on of 2h.

Donation incentives: Character name (maybe), NPC language, Kill Grelod!

-----

I'll add more to my list as I think of ones I want to do.
DS Dictator
DS dictator here,

A single player Scott Pilgrim NG+ Easy run can be done in ~40 minutes marathon wise but since this one is going to be multiplayer (and probably borderline serious) I would say a Multiplayer run NG+ Hard will be done in around 55-60 minutes.

Now my potential runs:

Likely tier:

Shadow Complex NG+ Any%
Time: With silly mistakes 25 minutes, decent execution 20 minutes.
No one seems to be manly enough to do this in the past 5 marathons, so it seems like I have step up and show you all XD
I will need to repurchase this game before the marathon as I can only play this game while my profile is online.

Mario Kart DS:
Time: Roughly over 30 minutes
This one is a very popular Mario Kart game where it was skill>luck for a cheap reason.
It is also a good game for a donation war for which type of grand prix I should playthrough, either Nitro or Retro.

Streets of Rage 1 (played on Ultimate Megadrive Collection with a Fightpad):
Time: On Easy - 30 minutes, on hard 45-50 minutes
Trust me, SoR 2 does not have freaking pits and I don't use some slow paced cautious strat to spawn a few enemies at a time :P.
Bosses can be manipulated easily like this strat here:
http://www.twitch.tv/greenalinksda/b/299626973

Unlikely tier:

Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light:
Glitchy, loltastic sequence breaks but there is one stage that holds me back as it involves blind aiming to form a platform staircase to go OoB and skip the 8 ball switches.
Donation stuff: The extra stages but I can only do challenge packs 1 and 3 since the developers had problems releasing Challenge Pack 2 on the Xbox version.

Zelda: Phantom Hourglass:
Out of all of the DS games I'm good at, Zelda Phantom Hourglass is the safest choice in execution but the only problem is the length, it's possible to clear it in under 4 hours but that is the problem it's pretty long for a game that has time savers. This is why this game is in the unlikely tier.
Donations:

Metroid: Prime Hunters
If Zelda Phantom Hourglass is too long, then this one is a quicker alternate.
Time: Roughly 2 hours as the faster In-game time is 1h 20ish I have a feeling it's not 1h 20m in real time.

I will heavily update this post once the date gets closer.
Edit history:
Frezy_man: 2012-01-15 12:11:02 pm
bläää
Super Mario Bros 3 - warps - 20 minutes.
Mega Man X 100% - 47 minutes (or 43 minutes for any%)
Lion King (SNES) - 20 minutes
Contra (NES) - 15 minutes
Mega Man 3 - 45 minutes
Kung Fu - 7 minutes
Turtles II - 55 minutes

Times Includes credit and marginal

Down under follow a list of runs that I might be able to do, depending on the situation. But do not sign me up for these..

Super C (20minutes)
Duck Tales (12 minutes)
Duck Tales 2 (18 minutes)
Rescue rangers (15 minutes)
Super mario bros 1 no warps (25 min.)
Mega Man 2 (40 min.)
Mega Man X2 any% -(50:00)
Infinite Combo
Rockman X 100% - EST: 40 minutes (I only have the japanese cart for this)

Sadly nothing more to contribute at the very moment but I am Practicing/learning other games like
Mega Man 9,10
Super Donkey Kong 2
Rockman X2,X3
and one or two more games. I will keep this thread updated when I have Estimates for that Smiley
Edit history:
dxtr: 2012-01-15 01:53:26 pm
Speedrunner
Main list!
Ninja Gaiden - 20 minutes
Super Mario Bros 2 - 20 minutes
Metroid - 25-30 minutes - depending if i play safe and get an extra energytank and kraid fight goes well, AND having luck with finding rockets.
Ghosts n Goblins  - 40 minutes - Need to train on this one though. Its kinda uneven at the time.
Trojan - 10 minutes.
Contra - 15 minutes.

Doable, but not my main choice!

Super Mario Bros. 3 (Warps) - 25 minutes - Aint no frezy!
Castlevania - 25 minutes - Aint no funcdoc!
Duck Tales - 12 minutes
Duck Tales 2 - 15 minutes

Doable, but very uneven!
Battletoads - 35 minutes

All times estimated with some margin and Any%!

EDIT: And im open to races ofc. And all games on NTSC.
Caution: This user contains Kana ^_^
Definitely coming:
Goof Troop (SNES)
I don't know about the speed issue; my console is PAL. Maybe NTSC would work too, but I might have to practise a sec or too, so I would place this further back xD
Either One-Player or Co-op (one person has expressed interest), SS.
Time: One-player: 45 mins with a generous margin to account for deaths and other tragedies.
Co-op: Put it at a safe 35~40 mins.

Maybe I'll add some games which are very maybe atm later ^^
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Run type: Any%

Time estimate: 40:00 (without credits)

Possible donation stuff:

Color of the cloak
All Bosses run (If I get better at it)
I am the wind + singing (not on my version so would have to stream it from another source, like youtube)

Other notes:

The estimate may change when I get a better idea of how I'm doing in real-time. Also the estimate is very generous for an any% run but for all bosses I'd need like 55:00 minutes, at least. If there are any other SotN runner attending this that are better I'll just try to go there and commentate, meet people and help out in any other way possible.
When in doubt, use explosives.
Okami (PS2)

Run type: New Game+ Glitchless* Any%
* I am currently working my ass off learning the big timesaving glitch known as KT glitch to be able to actually get a run published.
If I cannot master it in time, which I'm sure the Law of Murphy will provide, I will have to do a glitchless run.

Run time: I can definitely do it in under six hours for the glitchless run, that is counting with mistakes rane/marathon luck.
I have no idea yet how long a glitched run would be as no-one has done one before.

Notes: Feel free to let me know if this is completely absurd in any way. Maybe not in this thread, but maybe in a PM if you want. I'm no stranger to being told I'm stupid if it actually is the case.
Edit history:
Toothache: 2012-01-16 10:25:42 am
Let the music play!
[u]Alisia Dragoon(Mega Drive)

Run type: any% normal

Time estimate: 25 minutes inc credits, so probably 30 for set up time

Donation ideas: Perlers of Alisia and/or the summons?

After submitting my normal run to verification, I have this game down pat, and also developed a marathon route which makes things very safe too. I did start practising Hard mode as a possible idea for donation goal, but that game is just too difficult in Hard for it to be anything other than a casual run essentially.
DK + Mario Kart 8 = <3
same with chrno i don´t know if i have money but i hope i can come

Donkey Kong Country 3 Any% - 1:00:00
Donkey Kong Country Returns Any% - 1:50:00
Bomberman 64 Hard Any% - 40 minutes, maybe 100%
New Super Mario Bros. Wii Any% - 30 minutes
Blast Corps Any% - 45 minutes
Edit history:
KenDeep: 2012-01-16 01:24:24 pm
KenDeep: 2012-01-16 01:22:20 pm
Running: RnF,Kof98, ALIEN HOMINID???
Since it seems very likely that I'll come to this years marathon, I might as well sign me up.

Definite games:
King of Fighters 98 UM(Classic Arcade Mode)(PS2); Runtype: Team Arcade Mode Difficulty 8; Estimate: 14 Minutes 30 Seconds ---- Donation Ideas: 2nd and 3rd Char donations

Still pending:
Rockman & Forte(SNES); Runtype: any% zipless Rockman; Estimate: TBA, probably 1hour:25minutes --- Donations ideas: 1) Rockman vs Forte; 2) Zips Donations
Marc Ecko's Getting Up (PS2); Runtype: any%; Estimate: TBA(this game is hard to estimate, since I haven't done any test runs yet... I'd say something about 2 hours or so)

I'll definately want to do one of the longer runs, because coming for one small run isn't going to make me happy Cheesy
Magical. Flying. Bathtub
OK I'm definitely in if this is in Europe, so here are the games I can do:

Batman: Arkham Asylum (Xbox 360) Easy Mode (donate for Hard maybe - still need to work on a couple of areas for consistency)
Run Type: Any% (100% is far too long and low% is just boring)
Time: 2hours 30mins to be safe.
Donation Ideas: Find the warden's secret room with Arkham City Plans? Other than that, not sure really

Batman: Arkham City (Xbox 360)
Run Type: Any% Easy, Hard or New Game+ either with or without Catwoman (possible donation ideas there)
Time: Depending on difficulty and presence of felines, anywhere between 2hrs 15 and 3hrs 15

James Pond:Underwater Agent (Mega Drive, PAL)
Run Type: Any% or 100%
Time: TBA, probably just over 1 hour.

James Pond 2: Robocod (Mega Drive, PAL)
Time: 1 hour

James Pond 3: Operation Starfi5h (notice a pattern yet?)
Type: Bad/Good Ending
Time: Up to 45 mins

Fantastic Dizzy (Mega Drive, PAL)
Time: 1 hour

Chaos Engine (Mega Drive, PAL)
Time: 30 mins

I know I've put a lot up there, but those are basically all of the games that I have that I can run.  I really want to do one of the Batman games (City, ideally) as well as one of the James Ponds, although I'm aware that each game I add to my list takes practice time away from the others.
So I am upset for obvious reasons.

So for some ignorant people, I am getting a webpage together with Frezy because I am on the board of that Video-Game Club that made him chief of finance!^^ Just because your a MOD you still have to get your facts together and I will be waiting for some kind of appliduce. Skiter i hur det stavas.

So I have 4 planed runs (SMB2 for NES & SNES (PAL), Robin Hood: The Prince of Thieves (PAL) and Lucky Luke (PAL only game) that I am doing runs for as we speak. I can't garantee having them being verifyed and uploaded in time for the marathon, so perhaps I would do like some others upload them on YouTube before the verifation if I have to prove myself in anyway to be a player on the marathon. I heard something like it takes 4 months or so right now to get a run verifyed.

Super Mario Bros. 2: (PAL) NES & SNES

Run Type -  Any % on both. So some of you might have seen me play or so, I have had alot and I mean alot of help on SMB2 from AndrewG and he has shown me a new strat on level 1-1. I will have two runs on SMB2 on here, there is no doubt in my mind, however, they are on PAL.

Time Estimated: Let's say 19 on both, last time I played I got 14:xx so and that is bad for me soon enough:P

Donation incentives: Well, bids for which version I should play. (Perhaps a race or something if interest exists)

(I have no ETA on Robin Hood or Lucky Luke as we speak thou the 2 SMB2 runs are priority one for me.)

If interest is granted, a race on Mr. Gimmick! (coolkid said on the other thread that he was interested in doing this. We will need to talk things over)

I see here that someone also stated SMB2, if he can do it as good as I intend to do it, I would go for that guy but please, please don't let the speed difference take priority over the skill level!^^

Edit and a joke:
Quote from dxtr:
Super Mario Bros. 3 (Warps) - 25 minutes - Aint no frezy!

All times estimated with some margin and Any%!

EDIT: And im open to races ofc. And all games on NTSC.

haha if we gonna allow having bad times I can throw in SMB3pal 25 mins! (I got 15 something verifided on TG for it and now I'm better then ever on it and that time was without fire-flower, 2 hands pulled me down and they don't allow using the bowser wall move so they suck big time!:P)

I mean, I have to much selfrespect to even imply playing anything I don't know I'm one of the very best in! Please do take this serious!
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Sorry no games until you guys have an actual location and date settled. I'll unlock this if something definite is actually worked out.