Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet.

Joakim 'Wizphix' Makipaa's PAL version run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Cheating: The run contains no cheating from what I can see

Deaths: None

Route: Good (there aren’t many different routes you can take)

Gameplay: Great

Video quality: Good

Sound quality: Good

I was actually quite surprised when I saw this run, because I though it would be quite slow with much waiting for traps. But the runner keeps going without waiting much at all except for the last few levels, but not much time is lost there either. All in all the run is very solid, with little room for improvements.

Final verdict: Accepted

Quote:
Alright, I've watched it (yeah, already - I don't get a lot of board PMs so I get to the ones I DO get as soon as I can), and I can say several things about it.

First and foremost: PAL version and NTSC version need to be separate categories.  5/6 rules might apply, but my reasons are different: Namely, the boss of the first full stage (not the drawbridge, the stage after that) is different between PAL and NTSC.  In the NTSC version you fight eight small snakes.  In PAL?  One big one.  Plus the PAL version has 'enter level' graphics that cost a few seconds each, and a nasty surprise in the elevator rooms between levels, neither of which is in the NTSC version.

Second: Dragon's Lair, in all of its forms, is notorious for throwing tons of "FUCK YOU!!" moments every minute.  About 95% of the things in this game kill instantly.  So the runner not dying AT ALL is a big bonus in his favor (frankly, because of the shortness of the game, if he HAD died that would have been grounds for instant rejection).  The comparatively low amount of hesitation he employs to get past the obstacles (as well as just charging through a number of the enemies that DON'T instakill) seals the deal.

I'm a little irked he didn't force the Lizard King to show up more often (having gold at the end of a level costs time as points tally up, and the Lizard King steals all gold you have at the time), but in light of his amazing mastery of the game everywhere else, I just have to let that slide.

I'm accepting this run.

Decision: Accept

Reason: This guy beat Dragon's Lair.
Thread title:  
everybody wanna tell you the meaning of music
Best reason ever. Smiley
Fucking signed. He should get a medal just for beating the second level, let alone the game.
sda loyalist
Yeah there's actually a MAGfest NES challenge to 'beat level 2 of dragon's lair', that's how damn hard the game is
Hi! I'm andrewg!
Quote from Lag.Com:
Yeah there's actually a MAGfest NES challenge to 'beat level 2 of dragon's lair', that's how damn hard the game is

It's not THAT hard. I guess I'm just used to insanely crappy controls. haha.

A deathless run of Dragon's Lair is insane though. I'm looking forward to this. Though with the PAL it might not be the same for me, it probably doesn't change too much.
...Whoa. That guy is my hero.
Edit history:
TheQuietMan: 2008-11-07 10:12:26 pm
Complete. Global. Saturation.
I hope this run goes up tomorrow. I really do.

If I were verifying this game, I'd flag it for cheating because I didn't think it was possible to beat the game without doing so.
Cigar Man
This guy is probably the best candidate for speedrunning Ikari Warriors.
Master-88
First i see his Dragon lair completion in youtube. I just send PM for him and ask can you send this run in SDA?

I want see this. I am once completed Dragon lair with 4 deaths on US versio. This game is so darn hard to beat. I definitely loved his new run, which is faster than previous one.
torch slug since 2006
I hate that game.
THE GAME!!
Jesus Christ! He beat the second level!?
everybody wanna tell you the meaning of music
This is strangely like the most anticipated run ever.

Edit: even surpassing the previous one, Dark Castle
Talk to the Hand
Incidentally, isn't the PAL version actually "playable but still pretty bad" versus the NTSC version's "Complete pile of *&^(*%^"?
sda loyalist
I did some testing with the ROMs, and the speed is like this:

J > E > U

So yeah, strange to have a NES game that runs faster on PAL than NTSC-U. I think the NTSC-J speed was directly scaled downwards to 50Hz for PAL, but the NTSC-U release was slowed down to make it easier.
Hi! I'm andrewg!
Quote from Lag.Com:
I did some testing with the ROMs, and the speed is like this:

J > E > U

So yeah, strange to have a NES game that runs faster on PAL than NTSC-U. I think the NTSC-J speed was directly scaled downwards to 50Hz for PAL, but the NTSC-U release was slowed down to make it easier.

I think the main problem with the NTSC version is the time it takes between you pressing a button and when the character moves. If you press down to duck, I think it takes like 2 full seconds to get down. So, I'm not sure if slowing it down actually made it easier. I should try the PAL version sometime later.
You mean input lag? =p
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Quote from Lag.Com:
but the NTSC-U release was slowed down to make it easier.

No, EVERYTHING is slowed down in the US release, including your inputs, which makes things much harder because you can't react to anything  Undecided
sda loyalist
I didn't say it was a good way of doing it. :p
Master-88
Quote from mikwuyma:
Quote from Lag.Com:
but the NTSC-U release was slowed down to make it easier.

No, EVERYTHING is slowed down in the US release, including your inputs, which makes things much harder because you can't react to anything  Undecided

With US-versio you don,t need any reflex in levels. All what you need is remember everything perfectly. This game is mostly puzzle game than action game IMO. There is lot cheap ways but first your must be find good strategys go through every spots easily.

Of course last boss is only expect. It is just reflex and pure luck. But levels are not.
nai
I just watched the run and i am amazed. I can't honestly say that i even beat this game back when i had it. I give major props to the runner. I also want to thank the runner cause without this run i would probably never have seen the ending.
Master-88
This run was so good.  Smiley
+I am very happy he mention my name his comments Cheesy

Dragon lair is not easy game. Even only completion is very good run. But his run was quick and great. Thanks your run i loved it.
Hi! I'm andrewg!
I'm very impressed. I haven't played the euro version, it's definately faster paced than the ntsc one. The second boss was different too, which I didn't know about.

Great job though. You finished it a lot quicker than I was expecting AND it's deathless!

Very cool  8)
Huge congratulations to Wizphix for completing this game.
I really thought I was the only dumb guy who had played this game. Well, "played", not exactly. I couldn't get very far, hardly past the first screen with the drawbridge !!!! I've been really fooled by the good reviews about this game. I don't know why it had such good reviews. Still haven't digested being fooled like that.
Complete. Global. Saturation.
A 30 MB High Quality MP4? nate, you're too kind to us.

A huge congratulations to the runner for giving us one of my most anticipated speedruns ever. Up until now, the only speedruns that actually got past the second level were tool assisted (that I saw anyway). Your many sacrifices were not in vain. You makes it look so easy.
The music after you beat the game is pretty bangin'.
Too bad about 50 people in the world made it to the end to hear it.
Great run man.