Sad
1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Double Dragon Advance (Any %) (Single Segment)

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Sean 'MURPHAGATOR!' Murphy!
Thread title:  
Run Information

Double Dragon Advance (Any %) (Single Segment)

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/dda/DoubleDragonAdvanceVerification_HQ.mp4

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting. Verifications are due by March 7, 2014.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.

After 2 weeks I will read all of the verifications and move this thread to the main verification board and post my verdict.
The Dork Knight himself.
Still going over the run, but I did notice the video shakes a bit. Probably needs a 1-pixel bob fix.
I haven't played this game, but I'm somewhat familiar with some of the other Double Dragon games.

A/V: I didn't notice any shaking in the video. To me everything looked (and sounded) good.

The runner has obviously spent some time mapping enemy damage, attack power, which combos to use where etc and has pedagogically documented it in the run comments. That knowledge was put to good use in the run and the run looked well planned. A lot of time was also saved by clever use of the game environment (such as luring enemies into pits instead of having to fight them). There were a few execution mistakes that were not because of rng, but it didn't deter from the overall impression too much. This kind of game is by the way extremely rng heavy, so attacks are gonna miss and the player will always be tossed around by some of the enemies. If someone picks up this game in the future, I guess we'll see how competitive the time is. I agree with the player's estimate of 18:54.

ACCEPT
The Dork Knight himself.
If you go in frame advance you can see the bobbing I'm referring to. No big deal if it can't be fixed, cause other than that the A/V is good.

Having not played this version of DD before, I have to agree with ktwo. The amount of planning that went into this is apparent, and the randomness was handled as efficiently as possible. The pit/water abuse was hilarious to watch.

ACCEPT
I agree with the other posters that said there was clear well planning involved in this run. If there was an opportunity to insta-kill an enemy, it was used at every possible turn. The runner shows good knowledge of the game mechanics and knows how to defeat the enemies as quickly as possible.

However, I couldn't help but get this nagging feeling that the run could have been even better somehow. There were some places where the run just overall felt sloppy and various unintentional deaths cost some time (though thankfully not much). I do realize it is however difficult if not impossible to avoid dying in this game because of the sheer amount of enemies and RNG the game throws at you, and with these strategies you're going to tank hits at some point. Nevertheless, this does not bring the run down to a 'reject' level, but I would also like to see an improvement on this run in the future, which is otherwise very entertaining and well executed. Accept.
Formerly known as Skullboy
The majority of my Double Dragon experiences come from watching the cartoon show as a kid and playing the C64 version of Double Dragon II. I was unaware of this version until seeing someone stream it a few times. I plan on getting more into the Double Dragon franchise soon, mainly to add to the few beat em ups I play than speed running purposes. Enough about me though.

A/V is fine. No cheating detected. The runner takes advantage of whatever obstacles are near by and gets rid of a lot of enemies via those obstacles, especially in stages 5 and 6. Deaths look a bit ugly but they don't cost much time so no big deal. The runner knows the game well.  I enjoyed the run and I accept it.
Decision posted.