Smiley
Sad
<- 1  -   of 86 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
So I don't know if this has happened to anyone else, but I recently picked up the game and while running any% got Jack to jump back a square in phase 1 of the fight, don't know how or why.

http://www.twitch.tv/ubergoos/c/3172345
Worthless categories WR master
Yeah it happens sometimes when you jump towards him. He should never jump back on you though, just when he's kinda cornered like that.
Major update: Low% confirmed possible on console!

I recently found a way to duplicate a stored boulder and create extreme amounts of lag. That makes this amazing kick possible.

I consider low% a challenge rather than a speedrun category because right after getting into Helm lobby, which is a lot harder with boulder lag, you will have to do an orange clip or the infamous old Hideout Helm Early method.
Snowboard Assassin
I recently got back into play DK64, and I am to 100% it just like I did the last time I picked this game up. It's tremendously doable, but I will forget stuff where it's placed. I currently made my way through Fungi Forest, heading towards Crystal Caves. I would feel much more accomplished at this game if I grab everything I come across.

I don't know of many glitches to be used in a 100%, or if they would help or not. If they are allowed for that matter of course.
Running on PAL 'cuz poor
I jsut bought an NTSC console and a US copy of DK64 to speedrun on, I can't wait the week and a half it will take to get here. Can someone reccomend things I can practise on my AUS PAL copy until I get the NTSC stuff.
Yes, a cucco riding the ground.
Quote from Veldar:
I jsut bought an NTSC console and a US copy of DK64 to speedrun on, I can't wait the week and a half it will take to get here. Can someone reccomend things I can practise on my AUS PAL copy until I get the NTSC stuff.

I would practice the tricks described here:

https://kb.speeddemosarchive.com/Donkey_Kong_64#Major_General_Tricks

They're useful in tons of places in the game.
So, how about doing any% with MMM, but going to Factory first and saving Chunky on the way to getting Key 3? Then you use Exchord's trick above to get to Helm, and then do the old Helm route with Chunky. So you still skip getting the rest of the Kongs but also don't have to do get to Helm with just DK. Would that be feasible?
Ah, nevermind, I totally forgot Chunky was unlocked by a Lanky switch, not just a blue switch, haha
Running on PAL 'cuz poor
Hey guys, I'm getting my tricks down on PAL and I'll be doing a run pretty soon but I was wondering where all the official times are?
There's no such thing as official times, but here are the runs on SDA:

http://speeddemosarchive.com/DonkeyKong64.html

No one has submitted a segmented run, so you'll have to look on YouTube for those. Due to savewarping, some people have done segmented runs with lower times than the ones on SDA.
Running on PAL 'cuz poor
So if I wanted to find the quickest any% I'd have to go through a bunch of twitch channels?
Edit history:
mike89: 2014-06-01 07:57:04 pm
SEGA Junkie
Or you could go here. Most times here have a video, except the leading time which is kind of unfortunate...

And if you're wondering about the huge gap between 3rd and 4th, there's a relatively new super ridiculous trick that saves like 8+ minutes. Times from 4th down might be better to watch if you're just learning right now.
Edit history:
Veldar: 2014-06-01 10:00:15 pm
Running on PAL 'cuz poor
^ Sweet I'm going for sub 1 hour by this friday, I just need to get the tricks down.

EDIT: My god the new route is crazy, I think I might get the old Cfox7 '13 run down before I try helm early.
Quote from Manocheese:
Due to savewarping, some people have done segmented runs with lower times than the ones on SDA.

According to this thread, the runs on the any% leaderboard would be considered single segment with resets. Unless I'm missing something?

Also, the time save doesn't come from savewarps alone. A lot of newer tricks have been incorporated into the route as well; most significantly orange clips, and in more recent runs, key 8 with DK only and Main Menu Moves.

Quote from mike89:
Most times here have a video, except the leading time which is kind of unfortunate...

The fastest any% time does have a video; it's just not linked on the leaderboard.

While we're talking about the new route... there is actually no way to save the game after MMM is done. That means the in-game timer can't be used and runs have to be timed manually. I wonder if this is going to be a problem because the runs on SDA are listed with game time.
Caution: This user contains Kana ^_^
Pretty sure that's not going to be a problem. If the IGT can't be shown at the end of the game, (in cases, where mixed timing was used in the past) real time will be used nowadays if I'm informed correctly.
Yea iirc Ringrush's time had a IGT of like 10 min. lol
The Great Farming Empire
Yeah, I'm pretty sure real time is going to be used since the previous DK64 run is also timed with real time.
Edit history:
Manocheese: 2014-06-03 04:42:11 pm
Quote from Exchord92:
Quote from Manocheese:
Due to savewarping, some people have done segmented runs with lower times than the ones on SDA.

According to this thread, the runs on the any% leaderboard would be considered single segment with resets. Unless I'm missing something?

Looking at the rules now, I see that that change was implemented, so the runs would indeed be categorized as single-segment with resets.

As far as the timing goes, it sounds like real time would be used.
Might as well post here that 101% has finally broken the 6:30 mark! You can check out the run here:

http://www.twitch.tv/znernicus/c/4504891

Big shout-out to Ringrush who told us to route in caves early to unlock moves... it turned out to be a faster!
Quote from znernicus:
Might as well post here that 101% has finally broken the 6:30 mark! You can check out the run here:

http://www.twitch.tv/znernicus/c/4504891

Nice job.
A lot of things have happened in the last few months, so I decided I'd post an update for those still following this thread.

• RingRush has gotten a 29:29 in any%. He will come back to DK64 in December and go for sub 29.

• Znernicus "has finally broken the [6:20] mark" in 101%. At this rate, it looks like sub 6 hours is in reach.

• I have documented all known tricks involving Intro Story Glitch on this YouTube channel and have written an explanation of how ISG works. There have been some tricks on that channel since 2012, but I made new videos of those and added lots of new stuff.

• Finally, there's this somewhat big glitch that opens up a lot of new possibilities. So far, nothing particularly useful has come out of it, but it's still interesting to mess around with.

• F*ckin' sanity effects...
    Thank you for the update!  Really excited to take in the 101% over the weekend.
    Running on PAL 'cuz poor
    Thanks for the update Exchord, Glad to see the game live on, I thought after any% was done with DK only I would be over the game but tag barrel might bring me back in.
    Running on PAL 'cuz poor
    So I tried the Tag Barrel on PAL and it works.

Edit history:
    Exchord92: 2015-04-29 10:43:30 am
    This is a list of tricks that haven't been documented anywhere to my knowledge. Any DK64 player is encouraged to make videos of these, as videos can be a great help in finding new glitches based on known ones - or just inspire people to look for glitches. If there is enough interest, I will be adding more tricks to the list - right now it's cut down to the most interesting stuff, and I'm sure there are things I'm forgetting.

For obvious reasons, I don't count full speedruns and twitch highlights as proper documentation.

Get out of the car in the Castle car race
    Select "restart" on the pause menu and start holding B during the fadeout. You will be charging a shockwave at the beginning of the race, and releasing it will allow you to walk around. The camera will be locked on the car.

Clip out of DK's room in Hideout Helm
    Video
    You can also do this on the other side of the room, but it seems harder.

Bush Push (Japes OoB from starting area to main area)

Shoot barrels in training barrel
    You can hit the barrels with coconuts, which saves a good bit of time over throwing them.

Rocketbarrel skip
    You can beat K. Rool without getting rocketbarrel. A few seconds before Diddy's barrel spawns, take damage and position yourself so you're under where the barrel will appear. You will need to stay invincible from the damage so the gloves can't hit you. Do a backflip just before the cutscene starts in order to land in the barrel and start flying. Diddy's barrel is only active during the cutscene so if you fall down, you won't be able to beat K. Rool.

Softlocks on the main menu
    Highlight Rambi or Enguarde Arena and press A and left or right at the same time. Then press B to softlock the game. This also works with multiplayer options.

Floating item
    Using Tag Barrel Storage, hold a heavy item with non-Chunky and enter a loading zone that lets you keep it (such as Chunky's cave in Japes). Since you can't pick up the item, it will be floating in the air above you.

Change the color of a banana bunch
    Using Tag Barrel Storage, break the boulder from Chunky's switch in Japes with non-Chunky. The banana bunch won't be green; instead it will be the color of the kong that broke it. You can also throw a boulder and switch kongs before it breaks.

Minecart cutscene skips
    You can hold R to skip any cutscene on minecart tracks.

Orange Clips
    Two significant oranges clips have no videos on YouTube as far as I can tell: Aztec lobby early (damage boost method), and the one in the first room of Factory that lets you enter the storage room early.

Mechanical fish lag reduction
    The lag from Sniper Sight - which is given to you with Funky Weapons Glitch - sometimes makes it hard to not run out of time. By putting away your gun whenever the propeller starts spinning, you can get rid of this extra lag and save some time. Maybe looking at the ground also helps.

Out of bounds in Snide's room (DK Isles)
    Skid jump backflip to Snide's roof and moonkick up the wall from there. There is a spot in the center you can easily clip through.

Rambi clips and tree warps
    Rambi can skid jump just like the kongs. This allows you to clip through the wall to the right of his cage - it's tricky, though. If you detransform while jumping at a tree, you will be warped to some place out of bounds depending on what tree you tried to grab.

Climb big trees in Japes without Hunky Chunky
    Use the beehive clip to leave the Hunky Chunky area, then detransform and return. You will be able to climb the big trees even though you're no longer Hunky Chunky. Any kong can climb them.

Refight Aztec boss
    From out of bounds, approach the spot where the Troff 'n' Scoff portal near Cranky used to be. There is still a loading zone behind the wall, which allows you to enter Troff 'n' Scoff's room and beat Army Dillo again. When you leave or beat the boss, you will fall out of bounds under the loading zone. I have a video showing how to get to the loading zone, but it doesn't include leaving the Troff 'n' Scoff room in Aztec.

White arrows in Japes mountain
    There are white arrows under the ground near the conveyor belts. If you keep walking in the direction they're pointing, the game will either freeze or you will be falling endlessly (until you exit the level or go too far out of bounds).

Invisible K. Rool ship
    If you haven't pulled the lever in the lighthouse yet, an invisible ship can be found behind the giant door. You can stand on every part of it and even climb the pole.

Galleon Troff 'n' Scoff Clip
    After beating Pufftoss, backflip onto the invisible yet solid portal in the alcove by W3 and you will clip through the wall above it.

Funky clip in Aztec (skips hitting the switch in the llama temple)