--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Deuceler: 2014-10-22 01:43:09 pm
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
I would like to open this while the event is still fresh in everyone's mind. I had a pretty lengthy stream talking about what I felt were the pros and cons of the event, but I'll try to summarize things here.

THE GOOD

- Support from the community
  Re-tweets, hosts, and raids. I can't thank y'all enough, it was really cool to see some of my favorite runners and friends in the stream everyday.

- Viewership
  We hit over 1k every day, and peaked at 1,997 during FFIV. For the love of rngesus we had 1,700 during Shaq-Fu!

- Support from the attendees
  I couldn't have done this without everyone who attended. PixelKaye, LobosJr, and Neerrm brought food for everyone at different times - and Neerrm and Square_Wave donated their TVs for the event, since I failed to get a working one in time. Pasky made the stream quality sooooooo much better, and taught me a lot in the first few days, and Neerrm really helped facilitate things if I was running or elsewhere. Everyone was on dog block duty for the most part, and they couldn't have been better people to my wife and I.

THE BAD

- The practice room
  Holy shit, this was really terrible as anyone at the event can attest too. Never again will I host something with such a crappy place for people to hang and play games. 100% my fault and I apologize

- Music after "Up Next" screens
  The chat were really good about helping out in every regard of volume and things like that, but there was three runs where I forgot to turn of music (Blaster Master, SM3DW, FF6) my bad.

- Cell phones/tablets during stream
  Another thing I probably should have been more aware of, but I don't like the fact that I'd look at stream and see 4-5 people staring at chat on their phones. A couple ways to remedy this, but it will        be fixed for next year

- Holes in the schedule
  While some of these really worked out (shaq fu/MMPR) others were spur of the moment and the runners weren't prepared. People don't have to have WR in order to do a run, but I'd like it to be a game they are comfortable running, and have a good understanding of.

- Eating on stream
  I guess it's not the biggest deal, but it is if it effects commentary. Who wants to watch all the spectators chowing down on Del Taco?

- My damn dogs
  I love the little bastards, and I think they were okay for the most part - but ending runs due to them or having them throw up on the couch is not okay.

- Run commentary
  There was a few runs that had amazing commentary and a few that had none to speak of. I think having at least one designated person on the couch to help if the runners not speaking would make    runs a little better.

- No real promotion of the runners
  There was a couple times people would say things, but I need a more reliable way for people to follow those who are running the games.

I don't want to make this too long, because I could nit pick every little thing there is out there. What I'm really curious about is how things looked from the stream side and from your perspective. Don't hold anything back please, because negative comments are only going to bring negative things to light that will help me improve the event for next year. That being said, don't be stupid just for the sake of being stupid - I'd like for this to be constructive criticism. I personally had an amazing time and it was great to meet a lot of the people I talk to in the community, the way I see it the only thing we can do now is to improve. I'd love to try and make this a bigger event for the community next year, and see more people coming together for the sake of speed runs. Thanks so much for making it an amazing weekend for me, see you guys soon!
Thread title:  
we actually had 1300~ ish after shaq-fu.

On with the good: everyone involved who made this possible, i think most points were already pointed out up there.

the thing that made this event unique was that it wasnt another AGDQ(specific people on the couch, phones/tablet closed at all time), i do agree that having phones/tablets off would have been good, but to remove them from the room would probably be too much. (building the hype and moderating the chat was that bad?)

Also yes i was watching other streams while being in the room watching a live run, it doesnt mean that the run was boring, but i like to do alot of stuff at the same time.

Again i want to point out, it wasnt AGDQ and i hope its not going to turn out being one.(mainly the rules)
This is a rather unique thread for this forum because the vast majority of marathons are arranged to benefit a charity or to get runners to some other [charity-oriented] marathon. As such, the standards of success here are a bit different:

1) Was the event fun for those attending? (this would have to be answered by the attendees, and would not be adequately judged by viewers)
2) Was the event fun for those watching?
3) Were there major disruptions that harmed either of those two?

On the several occasions that I watched, the answer to #2 was generally yes, and the answer to #3 was generally no. There were definitely some minor things that got in the way occasionally (the dog killing Deln's Lufia run was particularly unacceptable). One concrete point of improvement I can give is that the interstitial screen shown between games, with or without music, was in several ways kinda hype-killing. I like the aspect of GDQs where you can still see and hear that stuff is going on during game transitions. When a game ends and the stream immediately cuts to either silence or elevator music, I tend to be motivated to leave.

A couple of your points, I will "me too": eating on stream is not a huge deal for me, but there are definitely people who are seriously put off by it; promotion of the runners could stand to be bolstered; and viewership was, indeed, quite good even with the unfortunate coincidence of two events the same weekend. As a dog person, I think the dogs are fine but you do need to take care to ensure they don't interfere with the event. I'll echo Deln's notes in that I didn't think the phones/tablets were especially excessive, particularly given the size and nature of the event.

A note about commentary: you will naturally find it very difficult to get a consistent level of commentary unless you either significantly grow your attendee count or narrow your selection of games. Judging by how you've conducted the event so far, it seems that neither of those approaches is going to be quite what you want, so you will find that there will be some variance in commentary quality. I think that's okay (and to be expected) for an event of this size. Even at an event the size of AGDQ, there are games for whom there are simply no knowledgeable commentators around - and that's with upwards of 400 attendees (probably soon to be 800). Having at least one person volunteer to learn every available game for commentary is also not super likely. I don't have any good solutions to offer, but just keep in mind that not every runner is Duckfist and you also can't have Duckfist commentate every run. Wink

Final notes: I'm very interested to see where this will go in the future. Since you're not tying this event in to a charity, its growth potential is in a sense both limited and unlimited. Will you try to expand it to a wider audience and a bigger venue? Or will you keep it small and intimate at your house? Will you go 24/7 for the weekend instead of breaking each night? Will you try to formalize rules for on-stream behavior, or keep it loosey-goosey and let people police themselves? Will Elmagus get off his ass and come to the States? I look forward to learning the answers to these questions.
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
I can agree with both of these posts and enjoy the feedback. I should have been more clear with the phone/tablet thing, I don't want chat interaction to go away - I really like the fact that we can interact with chat in ways that GDQ's can not. What I'll probably do next year is have a dedicated monitor (large TV) above the runners TV so that if they want they can look at it and the entire audience can see it as well. In my opinion it's just disrespectful to the runner and the viewers to be at the event and have your nose in the phone.

I will probably move the event to a different location, because even this year things got a bit crowded (and we had four people who were supposed to stay at the house drop out). I've also gotten some interest from quite a few more people, so we'll have to see what happens. The only issue I would potentially run into is funding for such an event, and I don't want this to become relient on raising money whatsoever - I want it to remain exactly what it is, but just a little bit "cleaner" after all I've learned this year.

I absolutely would love more people to attend, because I think something like this could go over really well in the community as long as it's done correctly. As far as longer stream times, that just depends on the amount of attendees - but I like the idea of being able to socialize afterwards and really get to know eachother. I won't enforce some strict set of rules on the stream, but I will let people know they don't have to read every line of chat to the runner, or respond to every questions someone poses either. I'll be walking a fine line as I want the event to be focused solely on the runs and community growth, but also want people to have the freedom to do as they will. I'm going to start planning for next year in the next month or two, so I can really get my hands dirty and make sure we can out do this year in every way. 
Is PJ
I agree with Vulajin's post pretty much.  I had a blast watching the runs that I watched, so the event was a pretty great success from that regard.  It sounds like the attendees had a great time, which is even better!  I wasn't too turned off by the phones/tablets for an event like this honestly, but I understand your perspective @ being disrespectful to the runner.  I didn't see any eating on stream, though I generally don't like watching/hearing people eat.

I had the schedule constantly open in a second tab during this because I didn't see much of an "up-next" thing featured on the stream, especially during the "break" segments.  Wasn't hugely inconvenient, but I'm just lazy enough to prefer to see that on stream.  I could see others thinking it'd clutter things more, so I'm not even saying it'd be a good idea.  Just offering my perspective from watching.

Honestly, I had a great time watching.  It's nice to consider improvements, but don't be too hard on yourself.  It was a really fun event to watch, and it sounds like everybody had a great time there!  Job well done.
Edit history:
Crak Atak: 2014-10-22 03:38:24 pm
Hax I used all of my strengthz
Feedback for my runs:

MMX3: I know the signal issues were just bad luck kind of deal. I did put a lot of time into learning boss strategies and feel that was overshadowed and just told it was a good run without much else. This is considered one if not the toughest to complete legitimate speedrun in mmx series. Maybe commentary or someone else knowing this category could have remedied this issue.

Rondo of Blood: This was a bit of a surprise game to even deuceler, i felt I could have had better commentary gameplay wise but this one set the tone for shaft talk and general assclownery that I brought. Although it was tough to tell, I lost concentration when someone told me the category was for casuals.

Ninja Gaiden 3: With this one being a short game that ive put in hundreds of hours worth of attempts, I was dissapointed with the feedback. I had a better time than my SGDQ run and what I felt was even less recognition for the time I put into it granted I wasted time for swag strats. I probably will not submit this next deucecon unless I get a good commentator.

Secret of Mana: This one I felt we trashed how bad we were and thought that detracted from the run. Even if we do suck we shouldnt bring it to the viewers. Commentary could have been a little more in depth, hopefully more co-op runs next deucecon. Admittedly I thought us arguing amongst each other actually brought some entertainment value for us and the viewers.

Magical Quest: This was the chill run and was happy to PB without even noticing. This one I got a lot of positive feedback from and people wanting to learn it afterwards. I havent put a 1/10th into the time ive put into MMX3 or NG3 and this one was way easier and got a lot more positive response so far.

Shaq Fu: Awful games block, i'm not really sure why we got so many viewers. I don't think it will be easy to top a frontpage twitch with forward + kick strats. Destroying my soul as a speedrunner to provide entertainment, count me in to do it again.

My runs overview: I felt the general jackassery was what I could bring to deucecon and i'm not entirely sure how that affected the viewers. None of my runs I felt were particularly bad or good but I felt that they were just there to fill schedule without being memorable. I would have liked to see chat during my gameplay so I could explain tricks and things better for people asking about it.

Feedback on viewers from attendee perspective:

-I think we could have had hosting for those who requested it. I talked to both chat and einbert during his FF6 run to limit the downtime between slow parts. I felt that we owe viewers greater interaction between the runners. Some instances like Duckfist's Battle Kid 2 run, I felt it was a hindrance to his focus so I eventually just shut myself up about chat. I feel this can be done properly as long as negative comments in chat are not talked about on stream. Of course it will depend on the runner if they want it or not. I was hoping other attendees would ask more questions about my runs to limit slow parts and not having to always talk about dick and balls to break the mood.

-Giveaways were a very cool part of Deucecon and consider them a great success. Not much else I can think of for feedback

-Couch was pretty unorganized whether good or bad. Deln watching runs on his tablet I felt detracted from the viewer's experience. I suppose we just have to Deln with it sometimes. I was a little unsure of what kind of environment deucecon was going to be and hopefully I did not detract to anyone's experience by constantly putting myself on the couch.

Other Attendees Feedback:

-Overall extraordinary group of people made it feel like a mini GDQ. The lack of multiplayer I felt was a little dissapointing for bringing us together. You already covered the practice room and pug% so there is not much to say there.

-I felt some runners were far too serious about their runs and could have let loose a bit. You don't have to talk about Shaft n' Balls or Pete's Asshole to bring entertainment but at least have a joke or two for certain mistakes. Lobos becoming a smurf each death with final boss of DS1 is a good example of having fun. Deln with the dogs, we made something negative into something hilarious. SMB3 was pretty good for the amazing vocal talent.

Overall: Success
Ciento Dos Huevos
Biggest issue I keep hearing was the schedule was not being updated and that certainly can be frustrating to viewers.  When I had left early I had few people message me Saturday morning saying they were looking forward to my run 'today'.  Oops!    I can understand the issues with it though. 

I thought everyone was awesome and really had a great time. I didn't feel any hostility, no one got butt hurt and everyone took jokes very well in stride, especially Deln such a cool guy!  Deuceler was a great host!

The practice room being almost non-existent was pretty disappointing, but I'm not sure if that's the setups fault because a lot of people were really more interested in what was being run and I don't think anyone felt really stressed on performing well, I certainly wasn't.  The practice room didn't come to attention until all the seats were filled in the streaming room.  So that's something to think about.

Good experience overall, sorry I had to leave so soon because I actually was feeling much better after 5PM too =/.  Glad to have met you all!
Dapper as fuck.
If it helps Crak, I enjoyed your MMX3 run a lot, and it was one of the few runs I had the time to watch.  I didn't watch a lot, so my feedback is limited, but I wanted to say what I did watch I enjoyed.  It looked like you guys were having a lot of fun with it, and it made me want to be there.  Maybe next year Smiley
Is PJ
Quote from philosoraptor42:
If it helps Crak, I enjoyed your MMX3 run a lot, and it was one of the few runs I had the time to watch.  I didn't watch a lot, so my feedback is limited, but I wanted to say what I did watch I enjoyed.  It looked like you guys were having a lot of fun with it, and it made me want to be there.  Maybe next year Smiley

Yea dude that run was insane!
Dapper as fuck.
Quote from PJ:
Yea dude that run was insane!

It really was.  I was super impressed with it being buster only having skipped the mavericks.  Sucks that the reaction didn't reflect how awesome it was.  I didn't really participate in chat when I was watching, but enjoyed everything I saw.
Professional Shaq Fu Speedrunner
So from a viewer perspective...

Positives: Shaq Fu. S H A Q F U. I loved it. Oh and that other stuff too. The chat's reactions to the very Engrish names in the Dragonball game were pretty funny. All in all, it was a fairly good selection of games that showed what the runners could do and it had a something for everybody feel in the chat. I'd consider that a major success. That's not the easiest thing to pull off.

Negatives: I mean there were some audio issues that took a while to get worked out at the very beginning which did take away from the runs a bit. Those were worked out, but it did take a while. Other issues were covered fairly well in here, so I won't repeat what was already said.
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
Quote:
Ninja Gaiden 3: With this one being a short game that ive put in hundreds of hours worth of attempts, I was dissapointed with the feedback. I had a better time than my SGDQ run and what I felt was even less recognition for the time I put into it granted I wasted time for swag strats. I probably will not submit this next deucecon unless I get a good commentator.

Although I feel like this is your best game - it did get the least amount of attention. Maybe because you ran it at GDQ?

Quote:
Secret of Mana: This one I felt we trashed how bad we were and thought that detracted from the run. Even if we do suck we shouldnt bring it to the viewers. Commentary could have been a little more in depth, hopefully more co-op runs next deucecon. Admittedly I thought us arguing amongst each other actually brought some entertainment value for us and the viewers.

I honestly feel the same, but I also think we did better than the two of us expected (which is sad). I'd love to do it again, but actually do more than 1 one together beforehand.

Quote:
Biggest issue I keep hearing was the schedule was not being updated and that certainly can be frustrating to viewers.  When I had left early I had few people message me Saturday morning saying they were looking forward to my run 'today'.  Oops!    I can understand the issues with it though. 

This was my bad - I didn't really know how to deal with those kind of things on the fly, or just kind of pushed it off as a will update as we go kind of thing. In hindsight I should have changed the schedule every night.

Quote:
The practice room being almost non-existent was pretty disappointing, but I'm not sure if that's the setups fault because a lot of people were really more interested in what was being run and I don't think anyone felt really stressed on performing well, I certainly wasn't.  The practice room didn't come to attention until all the seats were filled in the streaming room.  So that's something to think about.

Again, I take 100% blame for this. With little experience to fall back on, I didn't realize the practice room was going to be such a fun place to do things in. This will be getting MUCH needed attention next year.

Quote:
Negatives: I mean there were some audio issues that took a while to get worked out at the very beginning which did take away from the runs a bit. Those were worked out, but it did take a while.

Another bad decision on my part. Not realizing the sound was so bad, I didn't want to push the schedule back too much further (Thanks AT&T). After listening to stream on my phone I realized it needed immediate attention and it finally was taken care of.

In regards to the "Up Next" screen I actually have had some really solid suggestions from people - either replaying the intro video every two hours (which should have been a no brainer), or having something that is a little more interactive then a screen with my stupid face on it. Had larger viewer drops during these times, and it's unfortunate for the runners that had to happen.

I'm really liking this feed back, my brain is churning big time! I'd like to solidify some more co-op stuff for next year, and hopefully get some races - that sort of competition seems pretty awesome in a scenario like this. Althought it's hard to say, because I was involved in both this time thumbsup
Hax I used all of my strengthz
Another minor thing I forgot to do in my runs were shoutouts. Irregularjinny for X3, InfestedRiche/Duckfist for NG3 and jackinthebox for Shaq Fu. I'm glad there is  support for X3 in this thread as that is the run I would like to showcase as much as possible, I actually found the final major RNG manipulation as soon as i got back home. I will definitely work on making my games more memorable for next time.
needs more DFW area so it's not so long a drive for me (so that I can still fail to show up despite having no valid excuse)

Minor thing is probably having more chat mods set up beforehand that aren't planning to attend. Wasn't intolerable at any point, but it got close a few times (for a super old guy like myself...blasted kids and their pottymouths)

Seems like overall folks enjoyed both watching and attending. Definitely had a different feel than other events (which is a good thing) and will hopefully inspire more similar events for other geographically-clustered groups of runners.
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
Quote:
Minor thing is probably having more chat mods set up beforehand that aren't planning to attend. Wasn't intolerable at any point, but it got close a few times (for a super old guy like myself...blasted kids and their pottymouths)

I guess I'll have to look through the chat logs, because I never really payed attention to chat tbh. Also, it's damn near impossible to get banned in my chat and I'm sure there was plenty of mods there.

Thanks for all the feed back everyone, looking forward to implementing some new changes that will help improve the experience for everyone, but keep the atmosphere the same.
I must simply laugh.
uh I guess i kinda forgot, but I wanted to give a little feedback aswell.

First of all, in the grand scheme of things, an amazing event to watch, all runs I watched were entertaining, which probably mostly was because the runners did feel very comfortable at your place, so very good job on that and being a host.

Lets mention the good stuff:
-Runs: every run was top notch, not because people played well, but people really wanted to run their games, it felt really good, no matter who you watched. even if the runs didnt go well, they smiled and had fun with it, which is ultimatley what you want to have at a marathon. props to all the runners!
-Chat: for the most part, really really good. heard from an old man that people talked about stuff that was not from 1850 so he got bored and/or annoyed, can neither confirm nor deny though. what i saw anyways was pretty cool.
-Commentary: For the most part of the event the commentary has been very solid and personally i liked that the whole room participated/tried to participate in runs. however for next time i would try to get it A LITTLE more coordinated, at times it was hard to follow who was actually there and saying stuff since the couch crew changed a bunch in some runs, but oh well.

I do have a couple of things I had small issues with though, so I guess I will mention that:

-Start of Marathon: the start of the marathon was kind of bad, the internet issues that were not controlable aside, i feel like the audio setup should have been tested beforehand, the mic was really low even for the loud Deuce. Personally a minor issue but i feel a lot of people would take great issue with this.
-Phones/Pads/Tabs: I really really really really really hate those things. especially watching i hated it. i know a lot of people dont mind people using those, but i feel really bad about people, on the couch especially, that use their phone to look at other stuff or use a portable console to practice games. if you wanna practice games, you have a room for that. again thats probably the thing that hurt me as a viewer the most and im probably pretty lonely with this opinion but i would like to see at least a little less of these things, mostly on the couch.
-Tech: well the dog thing was mentioned earlier and it worked out all pretty well in the end. In general though I think you know what to do about this. give the dogs bee... i mean dont let the dogs out. :>

Obviously you can always be more prepared for your runs, but i felt like every run in the end fit very well and was successful.

Well thats pretty much it, i had a really great time watching and felt it was a really really great success! Congrats and see you 2015