--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Detective Barbie 2: Vacation Mystery () (pc) [Any %] [Segmented]

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Michael 'arglefumph' Gray!
Thread title:  
Run Information

Detective Barbie 2: Vacation Mystery () (pc) [Any %] [Segmented]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/detectivebarbie2-20170712/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). If you wish to remain anonymous, you can also send a pm with your reply to 'sdaverification' (please state clearly in that case which run you have verified). This is not a contest where the majority wins - Each verification will be judged on its content.
Edit history:
IsraeliRD: 2017-07-29 04:54:57 am
IsraeliRD: 2017-07-29 04:53:30 am
Dragon Power Supreme
You did come through with the promise of an even worse game. I wanted to mute it within a minute of just listening, and was really sick of it as it kept going.

The game itself has lots of RNG on every reset, and then some. The audio commentary explains a bit more than the submission comments. The chase parts look fairly good, and from what I understand they are constant so no point in any speed-up attempts for the second chase section except for the very ending of it.

The only real mistake is explained, and it costs 7 seconds which is a lot when the segment is 4 minutes. The commentary mentions this is roughly the 70th attempt (demonstrating RNG game is strong), however you probably could have spent another 70-100 attempts or more and cleaned up this segment without affecting the other two.

I found it funny the culprit was able to go out of path and was like "oh crap I shouldn't cheat" and just went back inbounds a couple of seconds later. Stupid criminal had a free pass and let it go.

Accept, but would prefer to see a better segment 1.
Edit history:
LotBlind: 2017-08-10 11:40:13 am
I'm surprised at how realistic everyone's bodily proportions are in this game actually. And one of them is in a wheelchair. On the other hand, Ken is still all about his beachboarding. I'm also amazed they got a voice actor to read aloud EVERY FUCKING NAME, including all the imaginary ones (they extend the set R of real names into the complex name plane).

The key drop: is that something that had happened before? Is it easy to miss pixels or what? Where's the pointing bit in the hand?

So the races always take the same time regardless of how you handle them?

WAITING HOPEFULLY FOR runner communication to be clear.
The key drop is not something that's supposed to happen. Normally, if you're holding an item and you click in the wrong spot, the item stays on your cursor. It doesn't automatically go back to your inventory. With this, and every other inventory item puzzle, I clicked continually when I moved the item across the screen, to give myself a better chance of hitting the "item can be used" hotbox as soon as possible.

I went back to the game and tried to duplicate the key drop. It turns out that it's a glitch which sometimes occurs, if you double-click while getting the item out of your inventory. That is, if you double-click out of the crime computer, instead of single-clicking, there's a 30-40% chance of the item returning to your inventory on your next click.

I obviously wasn't aware of this glitch while recording the run, or I would have single-clicked there to avoid it. Still, I got relatively good luck with the front desk puzzle. The pattern you have to make (and the starting position of the boxes) is randomized. Four boxes isn't bad, compared to the eight-box cross pattern.

The races are the exact same time, regardless of how you handle them. The way it's programmed is that the race goes on for exactly two minutes. The game considers it a victory, if Barbie is close enough to her opponent at that point. The rest of the race doesn't matter; all that matters is where you are, when time is called. It's 100% possible to spend the entire race at the starting line, catch up in the last 15 seconds and win. Similarly, you can spend the entire race right next to your opponent, fall behind at the last second and lose.

Oddly enough, there is a maximum distance, for how far ahead your opponent can be. If you stay in place, and the opponent reaches that distance, they immediately stop. With the speedboat race, not featured in this run, the best strategy is to reach the area with speed ramps, then stop. Wait for the timer to run out, and when there are 15 seconds left, start racing again. She hits all the ramps in quick succession, giving her a large enough speed boast to catch up to her opponent.
Edit history:
LotBlind: 2017-08-14 12:51:02 pm
That Nancy Drew avatar tho. I think it wins the annual "best avatar" competition several months before they're actually judged.

Okay, well, 7 seconds is kinda bad in such a short segment and I honestly would like to know what the chances of everything going right RNG-wise really are but I'll give you some benefit of the doubt. Glad you had time for this! I actually think The Pagemaster is way cringier than this.

weak accept
Decision posted.
Hang on, when does the game seed its RNG? I'm listening to your voice commentary now and you're making it sound like it's all seeded at the beginning? Why couldn't you have used a segment to get the RNG separately then?