--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/DeadSpace2.html

Dead Space 2 (pc) (pc) [Any %] [Single Segment] [New Game+]

Decision: Reject

Reason: Close call, but the run lacks a bit of polish in both routing and execution. Good luck to the runner when working on the improvement and hope we'll see it submitted here when it's ready!

https://queue.speeddemosarchive.com/verificationfiles/1944/

This run will be available for a month. After that these link(s) will no longer work.
Thread title:  
Run Information

Dead Space 2 (pc) (pc) [Any %] [Single Segment] [New Game+]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/DeadSpace2-20160903/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.
I noticed that in Chapter 4 in the basilica (video @ 28:00) the gate before the panel needs an extra ~23 seconds to lower, compared to Sahail's run for example. Can the runner or someone else shed some light on what causes this?
Quote from ymh:
I noticed that in Chapter 4 in the basilica (video @ 28:00) the gate before the panel needs an extra ~23 seconds to lower, compared to Sahail's run for example. Can the runner or someone else shed some light on what causes this?

Yes. After investigating this, it has just occurred to me that this fault is actually mine. For some reason, this room requires that you enter the center before the timer starts for the gates to drop. That's a massive oversight on my part, good find.
A/V Quality:
Quality is good. The only error I noticed is at 1:28:38 when the sound drops out for half a second or so, but it's really nothing to complain about.
The video starts in the middle of the opening cutscene, which is also nothing I object. You can see the selected difficulty at the end of the video.

Gameplay:
I really wrestled with judging the gameplay. happy

First off, this is done on the hardest difficulty setting when it comes to combat. So that's something to take into account.
I couldn't find any runs in the same category, but this run is faster than many other runs in similar categories, including runs with a lower difficulty. For instance, it's about 5 minutes faster than the PS3 run here on SDA, which was done using the same NG+ suit & weapon, but on a lower difficulty setting.

That being said, I also have to say that the mishaps are really noticeable, even for a >2 hours run. And the runner openly admits a lot of the mistakes, too.
- There are the obvious mistakes that the runner probably punched himself in the face for, like not fixing the Hand Cannon glitch, the Basilica gate thing, or activating the gravity tethers in Chapter 10, to name a few
- Then there are rooms where enemies could probably be ignored rather than dealing with them
- There are also parts that are not affected by the difficulty setting, but where the runner uses safer strats. Like in Chapter 8 flying past the drill crushers, or the laser room in Chapter 13. Now I can understand that and know that having your single-segment run killed by such annoying things just sucks, but then again, maybe some more confidence could be gained for those parts :). As for the parts where enemies are involved, I can totally understand going for safer strats there.

No cheating

Verdict:
I'm really torn between accepting and rejecting, but at the end of the day I feel like rejecting this. Acknowledging the difficulty, I know that the runner knows that this is rather easily improvable, even if this run is better than all his previous attempts.
And I really hope he doesn't get discouraged by this and gets back to this when he has the time and the desire to do so.

Reject.
Very Well. Thank you for your response. I really appreciate it. I'll have to take some time in the next few months to hash out some of these major mistakes.
I'll get on this one and try to finish within a week.
Decision posted.