--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
ZmicK_TricK: 2015-07-08 12:37:36 am
mmmBUBBLE!!!
Zmick formally announces his successful completion of Contra at a new Personal best time of 11:14 http://www.twitch.tv/zmick_trick/c/6937448

*Jnes 1.1; iBuffalo (Famicom clone) controller.*

Yeeeah! I took 2 weeks off from playing the game and came back instantly with a PB. I was going to wait until sub-11 to post something else, but this was my first deathless run and my first sub-11:15 run, so I wanted to share. This bumps me up a few notches on speedrun.com when it's verified. I need to get a foam hand with 19 fingers on it Smiley Deathless OoOOOh YeeAAAh!!!!

I made some incredibly dumb mistakes throughout and only got the L4 boss glitch on one side. Sub-11 doesn't sound so hard as it did just a few weeks ago. I got dis, yo, I got dis!
Great improvement, Zmick! Updated the leaderboard here and verified on speedrun.com.
mmmBUBBLE!!!
Thanks, thanks and thanks!
Edit history:
ZmicK_TricK: 2015-08-02 07:04:52 pm
ZmicK_TricK: 2015-08-02 06:51:03 pm
ZmicK_TricK: 2015-08-02 06:49:40 pm
ZmicK_TricK: 2015-08-02 06:48:19 pm
ZmicK_TricK: 2015-08-02 06:45:38 pm
ZmicK_TricK: 2015-08-02 12:10:42 am
ZmicK_TricK: 2015-08-02 12:08:41 am
ZmicK_TricK: 2015-08-02 12:08:22 am
ZmicK_TricK: 2015-08-01 11:47:24 pm
ZmicK_TricK: 2015-08-01 11:41:58 pm
ZmicK_TricK: 2015-08-01 11:35:59 pm
ZmicK_TricK: 2015-08-01 07:27:51 pm
ZmicK_TricK: 2015-08-01 07:20:46 pm
ZmicK_TricK: 2015-08-01 07:12:29 pm
ZmicK_TricK: 2015-08-01 07:12:02 pm
ZmicK_TricK: 2015-08-01 04:57:37 pm
ZmicK_TricK: 2015-08-01 04:57:24 pm
ZmicK_TricK: 2015-07-31 11:33:14 pm
ZmicK_TricK: 2015-07-31 11:32:46 pm
mmmBUBBLE!!!
I did it! Sub-11!!!!!!!!! Whoo!!!! This is also my fourth deathless run.

10:56 on FCEUX 2.2.2 using an NES controller (with my new Tomee NES-USB adapter which works perfectly!).

I wasn't streaming at the time, so the only recordings I have are the fceux input file and an avi recording I made after the fact. When I have the time, I'm going to make a video where I commentate it and add a split timer.

EDIT: Holy Heck, I just PB'd again. By 2 seconds, lol 10:54. If only I had not stopped for 3-4 seconds after I died, I would have beaten badbrakes and maybe feasel with this run FailFish. Oh, well, that's for another time. I wouldn't have posted this, except that the page hasn't been updated yet so I presume no one has seen this post yet.

EDIT: WOW! I hate to be that guy who posts again and again and again after every little improvement, but this run was too good to keep to myself. 10:43!!!! Oh... my... WOW!

Once again, I didn't get the L4 boss glitch. Other than the glitch and slight mishaps in 4 and 6, this run is about the best I'm capable of at this point. I'm going to work on a few new strats while continuing to aim for a run where I beat L4 boss in 2 cycles. I'm STILL shaking from nerves, shock and elation.

FCEUX 2.2.2, NES Controller

Here's the replayable input log (FM2) from fceux: http://www.filedropper.com/contrausa-15

And here's the vid:

Triple congrats! Smiley
Updated here and verified on speedrun.com. Keep it up and the improvements will keep on coming!
Edit history:
ZmicK_TricK: 2015-08-03 03:49:14 pm
mmmBUBBLE!!!
Thanks, Hurblat!

Other than getting lucky enough to snatch the L-4 boss glitch on an otherwise good run, the improvements from here will be tremendously difficult and will take a lot of attempts. It certainly helps that I'm now using a better controller and emulator, but now I have to work on my skills big time. I DREAD the day that the next thing on my to-do list is to skip the barrier in level 6!
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
Skipping the barrier in The Energy Zone is wayyyy easier than you think it is
Willing to teach you the impossible
Quote from Deuceler:
Edit history:
ZmicK_TricK: 2015-08-09 12:43:11 pm
ZmicK_TricK: 2015-08-09 12:43:08 pm
ZmicK_TricK: 2015-08-09 12:43:08 pm
ZmicK_TricK: 2015-08-09 12:43:07 pm
mmmBUBBLE!!!
Quote from Deuceler:
After reading this post, I tried my hand at it and actually got it the first time! Thanks for that.

I'm not comfortable enough yet to do the "exo skip" on purpose, but I can very reliably go without the barrier so long as I'm ready to press pause if I have to to stop the fire columns. In fact, I find it to be more consistent than going for the barrier and all the hilarity that ensues as I play parkour if I don't get the shot and drop correct.

That's a nice little time save to add to my belt. I've also already noticed a few little things I can do better. Between spawn luck, base 2 boss, barrier skip and some minor alterations, I already have about 20 possible seconds of time save. I'm focusing on a few specifics at the moment, but will be working on banging out a whopper of a run soon Smiley
Edit history:
ZmicK_TricK: 2015-08-14 12:29:09 pm
ZmicK_TricK: 2015-08-14 12:25:14 pm
mmmBUBBLE!!!
10:33 FCEUX 2.2.2, NES Controller

FM2: http://www.filedropper.com/showdownload.php/contrausa-95_1

This was a few days ago, my second PB since the 10:43. I wanted to hold off until I got sub 10:30 before sharing another run, but my right arm is just dead right now and I definitely need some time off from the game.

There were two big fail moments in the run- I completely messed up L2 boss then waited too long to shoot down for the barrier in L7, followed by me backtracking to grab it instead of just moving on and going to the spike walls of the upper level like I should have done. The flip side is that I got L3 boss in one mouth cycle (which had only happened once in practice and never before in an actual run for me) and two-cycled the L4 boss (which I had not done, even in practice, for over a week). I guess the fails and the successes even out, but it will be a mountain of a task for me to put a better run together.

I'm surprised at how much improvement I've been able to make so quickly once I moved past the 11-minute hurdle. I'm actually starting to lose count of how many sub-11s I've gotten, which I think bodes well for my potential to PB again. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I might have the potential to get a 10:15 or less if I keep at it. I never thought I'd be saying that.

No guarantees, but when I start doing runs again in a couple of weeks or so, I might be doing them on console Wink
The game is not nearly as hard as people think it is if you put in the time and learn it proper, would you agree?
mmmBUBBLE!!!
Quote from Heidrage:
The game is not nearly as hard as people think it is if you put in the time and learn it proper, would you agree?
I find this to be a funny statement considering how much video of you I have watched...

"Are you kidding me? WHY?! Why can't this game be EASY? It's like... UUGGHhH!!!! "

"See my right wrist right now? It really hurts to go palm up..."

I just had another thought: I find it amusing how familiar I am with you due to all the Contra I learned from you while, in turn, you are only barely aware of my existence. Cheesy

Anyway, other than the hateful spawns, the painful mashing, the frame and nearly frame-perfect tricks and a hit and miss global timer, yeah, I agree that this game isn't THAT hard :p I've been surprised over and over again at how quickly I've been able to bring my time down. Watching them back, I can't even always tell what I'm doing better in my latest PB than in my previous PBs. It seems to be a lot of little, little things that add up over the course of a run.
Wow, you are referencing some things from way back when. Nearly every game will drive someone crazy when they are trying to do something that is not realistically possible.

I was talking more about just playing the game. The stigma of how it is such a hard game and it is unfair is most ways.

I will agree with the comment that I dont know you very well, but when I do become aware of a new potential runner, I dissect as much information I can from them (I see more in real time that most do in half speed). I have already watched your 10:43 at least 8 times. I have not had the time until today/right now to watch your 10:33. I will give my comments on it once I watch it a bit. Honestly, it is rather flattering the comments you made. On one hand I have a ton of videos about this game and the work I put into it so it is not supprising you would know so much about me. On the other hand OMG you watched all of the stuff I posted about this game and watched my past streams as well?? You are either crazy as me (and all of the top runners), find me way more entertaining that I think I am, or you are really dedicating yourself on pushing yourself really far.
Edit history:
ZmicK_TricK: 2015-08-15 04:20:15 pm
ZmicK_TricK: 2015-08-15 04:18:56 pm
ZmicK_TricK: 2015-08-15 04:13:07 pm
ZmicK_TricK: 2015-08-15 04:11:52 pm
mmmBUBBLE!!!
"Way back when" for you, but new to me.

Of course, I have seen your 10:11 numerous times- it was the long-standing WR. Of course I have seen your "Everything You Want to Know About Contra Speed Running". It's still the most comprehensive tutorial out there. Smiley

I'd have watched it even if you weren't, actually, way more entertaining than you think you are. Wink

Am I crazy? Sure! But maybe not in the way you think Wink Truthfully, I don't have a burning desire for greatness in video games and I can tell you right now that I'm not going to go through months of or years of grinding just to get a WR. I'm just having fun learning the game and enjoy the excitement of continuous improvement. If I get to the point where it's just not enjoyable, I'll put it down and do something else with my time. If it continues being enjoyable, I will continue playing and take it as far as I can. For now, there is still plenty of doable timesaves just sitting on the table, waiting for me to put teh urn together. If I can more reliably do what I did at L3 and L4 bosses in my 10:33, then I don't see 10:15 or thereabouts being out of my reach.

BTW - 8 times, seriously?! I'm flattered Cheesy
Updated. Great stuff!
Edit history:
Heidrage: 2015-08-17 08:10:56 am
Heidrage: 2015-08-17 08:06:38 am
-I can see you are getting much more comfortable with the hit boxes and it really shows in your movement.
-Base stages are tough to get and keep rhythm, cant really say much about that. Try practicing them with pea shooter a few times, you will see just how close you can get to bullets and also how close you have to be to hit the cores/turrets.
-Stage 3 is killing you with the delays you have between your jumps. In Contra you can jump as early as the same frame you land, Super C you can jump 1 or 2 frames before you land. I can see your mashing is holding you back a bit. for the stage 3 boss, you could either start with the right arm then move to the left giving you more time to get into position or you could forgo killing the right arm but that has potential to mess up your rhythm for the mouth. You only need to jump just before the mouth closes, if you mash fast enough, you dont need to jump at all.
-Stage 4 boss is rather hit or miss. Getting the glitched kill is really just under 50% with your mashing ability. If you do not get the kill, stay and kill the right head before moving to the left.
-In energy zone you can use the pause for the first set of flames, but if you pause anywhere else you will shift the global timer to a position where you will have to pause more later costing you time. If you practice that segment a bit you will find it is very consistent and you should have no issues. Out side of that you are doing very well.

Yes I watch just about every run that many times. You never know what small improvement can be found if you just look. I found many strats for other games just surfing youtube lets plays and even some game reviews. I found one small time saver for my Double Dragon run in a ots video.
mmmBUBBLE!!!
Thanks for the feedback!!!!

Quote from Heidrage:
-I can see you are getting much more comfortable with the hit boxes and it really shows in your movement.
Definitely. The part I feel the least comfortable with is fighting "Krang". In savestate practice, I'm much more likely to duck under the... well... whatever those things he throws are and to run up to him and mash him to death. In runs, I get nervous and back off.

Quote:
-Base stages are tough to get and keep rhythm, cant really say much about that. Try practicing them with pea shooter a few times, you will see just how close you can get to bullets and also how close you have to be to hit the cores/turrets.
I'll take your pea shooter practice suggestion. When my arm heals, I mean. Before I took a rest from the game, I was having trouble mashing and getting spread rhythm for several days because my arm just feels dead. It felt particularly bad in that run, although I'm not a great masher to begin with.

Quote:
-Stage 3 is killing you with the delays you have between your jumps. In Contra you can jump as early as the same frame you land, Super C you can jump 1 or 2 frames before you land. I can see your mashing is holding you back a bit. for the stage 3 boss, you could either start with the right arm then move to the left giving you more time to get into position or you could forgo killing the right arm but that has potential to mess up your rhythm for the mouth. You only need to jump just before the mouth closes, if you mash fast enough, you dont need to jump at all.
I didn't even notice about the jumping. Since it doesn't involve mashing, I can practice that right away, even while I'm taking a break from full runs. For some reason, I've always felt comfortable going left to right, but I see your point and will start making that adjustment. I'll also take another look at some of the best runs to get an idea of when I should be jumping on that mouth. I'm probably not fast enough to go without jumping.

Quote:
-Stage 4 boss is rather hit or miss. Getting the glitched kill is really just under 50% with your mashing ability. If you do not get the kill, stay and kill the right head before moving to the left.
I find it much easier to kill the boss without the glitch (via the kind of timing DK uses to one-cycle each side). My timing on the right side absolutely sucks and I rarely get it in one-cycle unless I'm lucky enough to get the glitch anyway, whereas the left I get it most of the time. The reason why I run over to the left if I miss the right is that if I can't one-cycle the left side either, I can usually stand in between them, jump and fire and get them both on the third cycle as opposed to waiting for two cycles on each side for a total of four cycles. It makes for a mess of movement, but I can actually do it pretty consistently.

Quote:
-In energy zone you can use the pause for the first set of flames, but if you pause anywhere else you will shift the global timer to a position where you will have to pause more later costing you time. If you practice that segment a bit you will find it is very consistent and you should have no issues. Out side of that you are doing very well.
This is more stuff I didn't know. Thanks again. I'm very new to skipping the barrier, so I definitely need to spend more time getting comfortable with stage 6.

Now that you have given me some direction, I have some practicing to do. I'm looking forward to seeing how tight my next PB is going to be Grin
mmmBUBBLE!!!
Here it is! In what will likely be my last emulator run submitted, I finally got 10:29 (just a few frames short of 10:30) after a month of PB droughts.

Two cycles on L3 boss, 3 cycles on L4 boss, bad L6 boss and some mishaps throughout the run give me a TON of time I can still save when I start doing runs on console Smiley

FM2: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=48517779437344633266

Hello! I havent posted here before but TMR brought it to my attention and would like to submit my time. 

heres a 10:21 I got last week which I fully plan to improve

http://www.twitch.tv/toad22484/v/19652592

Also Hello everyone its nice to meet all of you!
Hey there! Added your time. Great job and welcome to the leaderboard Smiley
Fighting like a Warrior
New PB in Contra 10:01 http://www.twitch.tv/themexicanrunner/v/21934855
The Goal is sub 10 - Special thanks to @zallard1sda for finding new strats.
Howdy folks

Looks like Canada is in the top 10

Any% 10:29 http://www.speedrun.com/run/7ylq1rnz

Low% 12:30 http://www.speedrun.com/run/pm3n4w4y
Congrats TMR and RottDawg!
SPEEDruns not SAFEruns
I really love how casual sub 10:30 is now. Great work everyone. Routing for that Sub 10 TMR! Glad to see you speed running again thumbsup