1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game page: Doesn't exist yet.

Marc J. 'Emptyeye' Dziezynski's SNES run (read below for version differences)

Verifier Responses:

Quote:
The audio and video are fine and it's clear that there is no cheating

- Genesis and SNES have very strong differences so they should remain seperate categories
- Gravity on the SNES version is stronger
  -  Chuck Jumps further on the Genesis and can make difficult jumps on the SNES with ease and can even make a few jumps which aren't possible
  -  Boss fights can be done faster on the SNES
                -  Chuck can't throw rocks as far
- Chuck can be knocked side ways which never happens on the Genesis version, this could potentially lead to shortcuts and time savers.
- Chuck jumps higher out of the water, which is highly advantagous
- The level transition are 4-5 seconds faster in the Genesis, the same applies for the boss fights
- The music and graphics are slightly different, but this is only cosmetic

While there is advantages and disadvantages, I think overall the Genesis version has the advantage when it come to completing the game quickly

The run is solid throughout and contains no deaths. The routes are also good, but some of the general strategies could have been better. It isn't exactly Mario or Sonic when it comes to optimization, and it's clear from watching the run that the runner barely played the game before attempting a speedrun. In all honesty the run is really the only attention this game deserves. On many occasions the belly move is used which grinds Chuck to a halt when a jump kick is faster, I think the runner should have made more attempts and perhaps could have shaved another minute had they perservered more, but I fully understand why the runner is happy with submitting this run and I personally think it should be accepted.

Quote:
Both video and audio quallity are just fine.

Considering how hard it is to avoid taking unintentional damage while speeding through this game I must say that he does an awesome job in managing his health so that he almost always could take intentional damage in the places where it was beneficial. Especially since hp is only refilled between stages and not between sub-stages.

Only once did he slow down after taking too much dmg. This was from taking too many hits at the firepit in stage 2-2 and he only played it safe for the next enemy. Immediately after that enemy he took up the pace again so this cost him only 3 seconds or so.
He also missed the mammoth catapult several times in 4-2 but that thing is annoying requiring you to be at the absolute tip of his tusks to be able to make the jump. This only cost him 5 seconds.

Rest of the run goes very well. All the bosses goes down pretty much as fast as possible and only improvements that could be made for the run as a whole are within a span of a few seconds. Definitely a run worth posting.

Quote:
Been bogged down for a bit.

Don't really know how to take this run. At times the play is flawless, but at others the runner takes damage time after time after time, much more than the idea of "take damage to save time" covers. Chuck itself is a bullish game and the amount of hits taken reflects that, but this run goes past bullish and into sloppy much of the time. There's a time or two where going more slowly and avoiding damage would probably be quicker than backtracking for life afterwards. While the minor mistakes pile up, there are no major mistakes and only a couple of medium ones that cost maybe 5 seconds each.

The runner knows what they're doing through pretty much the whole run, and the bosses are taken care of quickly with the aforementioned kamikaze tactics.

Video quality's good, audio quality's good. I had some trouble with my player dysyncing the audio and video over time to maybe 4-5 seconds, but I think that's my problem and not the video.

In the end I can't really say yes or no. It's easy to make those medium mistakes time and again, which makes the fact the runner only made a couple of them impressive, but the mix of game and run quality when it comes to the minor mistakes just looks so sloppy. If you pressed me for an answer, I'd say accept, but only just. If the other verifiers think it's reject material, then I concur.

Decision: Accept

Reason: All of the verifiers accepted the run, though their responses were varied. They all seemed to agree the run had pretty solid gameplay throughout, which works for me.
Thread title:  
Edit history:
Emptyeye: 2008-11-06 08:54:51 pm
Talk to the Hand
I have to say, the glowing review from verifier #2 in this case makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, but verifier #1's (Paraphrased) "There's actually a lot of room for improvement, but accept it anyway, because the runner's assertion that he's given the game more attention than it deserves is absolutely correct" is maybe the most amusing verification comment I've heard yet.

Anyway, to reply to some of the comments. I get the feeling I'm going to come across as "4GET U GUYZ MY RUN IS THE BEST EVAR!!!", which isn't my intent at all, though I think it's fair I say my piece as well.

To the comment about "This is clearly not optimized like a Mario or Sonic run", well, no it's not, and I hope that's not the minimum standard for a run to be accepted here (It apparently isn't, since the verifier accepted the run anyway). At least the Mario series, and probably the Sonic series as well, have years of intense competition behind them that predates even SDA's non-Quake section, and Sonic has at least one site dedicated to speedrunning it. Chuck Rock has none of this (And let's be fair, it doesn't exactly carry the name recognition of a Mario or Sonic either...people aren't exactly lining up to try and take a Chuck Rock record. Wink ).

[EDIT: I'm not saying that it wouldn't be awesome if every run on SDA were up to the level of the Mario/Sonic runs. Just that I'm saying that those are the best of the best runs on SDA for a good reason--they're the end product of many, many runs amongst many different people. Most runs won't have that illustrious history/years and years of refinement to them is all I mean, so it's a bit unrealistic to expect every run to meet those standards. END EDIT]

As to the alleged sloppiness, I think the problem is less that the entire run was sloppy than that when there were badly executed parts, they were, admittedly, cringe-worthy. The firepit segment was comical, and the elephant catapult was the first time I needed four attempts to hit the stupid thing (Though it did usually take me more than one). Contrary to what verifier #3 said, I'm pretty sure I only actually "backtrack" per se once for a heart (in 5-1), though I do make quick detours in places if an easily-obtainable heart is just above or below me.

I belly-butted maybe more than I should have because I could at least get the timing on it fairly consistent, whereas the jumpkick essentially has less-than-zero range and is thus difficult to time properly. I don't know how often I do it, but each one is maybe a half-second lost at most.

Regardless, though, thanks to all three verifiers for their comments, good or bad, and I pledge to make the next game I tackle actually good. Tongue
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Yeah, I should have mentioned in my reasoning that posting the run wouldn't hurt since it's not exactly going to be the most hard-fought run ever.