List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Castlevania: Dracula X (Any %) (Single Segment) (ntscus) (snes) [Bad Ending]

Verifier Responses

Quote:
This is a pretty rare Castlevania game and I am lucky to have acquired this.  Music in this game is superb.  Enough of casual talk now to verify

Time of run (gain of character control to loss of charcter control) : 0:09-17:02 (16:53)

Note on movement...backflips are faster than normal forward movement and back walking manipulates spawns.  See author's notes for more details

Stage 1: Pretty solid.  Lots of backflips and that's good to see.  Nice boss fight

Stage 2: Dat damage boost.  Stage went perfect.  Really impressive boss fight

Stgae 3: First screen was damn good.  HOLY SHIT THAT BAT DAMAGE BOOST.

Stage 4': The use of backwards walking really makes this game easier.  Also I can't believe that boss fight is that easy with axe.  I feel like a scrub now.

Stage 5: This stage feels the slowest but there's really not much that can be done.  Also another cool ass damage boost through ceiling

Stage 6: Dayum nice strat using item crash to get on above platform.  Boss fight was really cool (early cross throw to hit him FAR left/right)

Stage 7: This is where Dracula can really destroy a run.  His movement is 100% RNG and to make it worse the battle screen is huge.  This fight could've gone where he would have teleported and forced him to eat a round multiple times.  I had it to where he was out of my reach 6 times in a row or worse.  Luckily in this run he wasn't an ass.  Very solid Dracula fight.

Audio and Video are fine through the run.  Very impressive run.  I would Accept this for the sake of all the backwards swag.

Decision: Accept

Quote:
Ah yes, Dracula X, the actually somewhat decent game that gets way too much flak for not being Chi no Rondo. The only thing I hate in this game are the really clunky controls, really. Otherwise, I think it's alright.

Onto the run. Audio and video are good.

My time is the same as what the other verifier times (16:53).

I gotta say, I love the damage boosts you're doing in this run. The one with the spear armor in Stage 2, the sword guard in Stage 5, and especially the one with the bats in Stage 3 and the bone pillars in the last stage were really cool.

I've also watched the TAS of this game, and a lot of things overlap with your run, but I noticed some things the TAS does different. As a disclaimer, I don't know if there's any version differences between the Japanese version the runner uses and the American version in the TAS.
In Stage 1, the TAS damage boosts off of the zombies in the section with the Behemoth so he doesn't take the lag from landing. But that saves only a few frames at most. The TAS also kills the boss in 2 item crashes and one or two hits with the whip - that might save a few seconds, but I'm not sure if that can be replicated (?).
Since the TAS takes a different route in Stage 3 onwards (it rescues the girls), I can't compare it to this run, but in Stages 6 and 7, it doesn't really do anything different to the runner.

Can the first room in Stage 5 be improved? I assume you don't backflip for a reason (maybe to not jump into bats/fleamen?), but it looks like you could damage boost off of one of the fleamen-carrying bats to get up to the top level leading to the stairs, one of them even was charging at you from the side.

Overall, I think there's very little that can be improved in your run. The rooms with the purple spear guards in Stage 3 and 5 seem to be the ones where you can save the most time, but since their behavior is random, I don't think it's ground enough to reject.

Accept.

Quote:
I can't hate on a man who knows how to backflip his way to victory.

Also, the Castlevania Timeline is officially screwed thanks to Maria and Annette being left to die. GOOD JOB, RUNNER.

Accept as a separate game page from both Castlevania: Rondo of Blood and Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles. This game should be shining their shoes.

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Bruno 'mabru' Rosini!
Thread title:  
Congratulations!
I imagine this game to be a big pain to run, but the runner does really cool tricks very close to the TAS, so it's a blast to watch.
just( •_•)>⌐■-■ ..... (⌐■_■)wing it
I was gonna run this game but I decided to not do it due to slow ass movement and backflipping.  Can't wait to see this on the site
[setz]
I'm really looking forward to seeing this. Congrats!
Is PJ
Quote from zewing:
I was gonna run this game but I decided to not do it due to slow ass movement and backflipping.  Can't wait to see this on the site

Did you even play the game before you decided you were gonna run it?
just( •_•)>⌐■-■ ..... (⌐■_■)wing it
Yes PJ I have.  Slow ass movement and Dracula being an ass.  I tried to do learn it on stream before but I decided to do other shit
Edit history:
PJ: 2013-03-04 10:06:41 pm
Is PJ
Wow I'm amazed you made it to Drac before deciding not to run it.  I am legitimately impressed.  I made my decision after the first level.  Haha.

That being said, I'm really interested to see this run!
Congrats mabru!
Oh god, this game. You need some balls to speedrun it, lol.
Thank you all for your messages ! I am very pleased that this run enjoyed you. I am working on making a better one right now.

For the level 5 improvement : It was possible to control the spawn of bat in level 3 in order to do the bat damage boost because of the position I was on the moving platform(It makes the bat be in it's highest point of it's  sinusoid trajectory when I touch it). But in stage 5: I could not find specific inputs or way to make bats spawn when I want or where I want (I am trying to find a way actually but I beggining to lack new ideas). So I can't really do a bat damage boost here.

In my next run I will also try to improve my run with the spear-knight move techic.

Feel free to MP me or mail me if you have any question (if somebody wants to make a better run, want some advices or if somebody know a way TO CONTROL DRACULA SPAWs DAMMIT).

Edit history:
puwexil: 2013-04-30 01:49:38 pm
Professional Second Banana
Enjoyed watching the run!  As much as people rag on this game for it's flaws, it sure makes for a cool speedrun with the damage boosts and some of the boss kills.  How about a Good Ending run next?
Fucking Weeaboo
There's a Good and Best ending, depending on whether you save Maria only or both Maria and Annette. Saving Annette changes the Stage 6 boss to be Death.

But yeah, would love to see both of those. Carrying the key through Stage 3 boss and Stage 4 is a fright.
Edit history:
puwexil: 2013-04-30 02:40:28 pm
Professional Second Banana
If the same levels are played in Good/Best ending and aside from saving/not saving Annette the only major difference is the Stage 6 boss, I'd say only Best ending would be considered a separate category.  If someone wants to do Good ending though the SDA admins will certainly hear them out.
Fucking Weeaboo
Well, in order to save Annette, you HAVE to go through Stage 5'. With Maria only, you can take Stage 5, though it's probably longer to go that route because you have to battle the Stage 4 boss (which means 1 more boss fight, so Stage 5 & boss would need to be shorter than Stage 5' and boss). So likely both runs would take the same route, but Death is a 2 stage boss fight. It's hard to give an honest comparison on how close the two fights are right now.
[setz]
great run, that watch was worth the wait