--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Bananamatic: 2009-12-24 07:12:17 am
Been thinking about this one.
The biggest problem would be dealing enough damage to the bosses, or hitting more than 0 atleast.

The goal here would obviously be to increase your damage output to the max in the shortest time you can manage.

Some monsters are also easy to whack down with little time wasted.

Though, there are a few problems I can think of....

1) How "easy" is to access the Emel sword workshop.
Quite a lot of backtracking from the final dungeon, where the upgrades would help the most.

2)Swords I'd upgrade - I could use only Blirante for the entire game, but up to Zonplas I need to use Livart, and the final battle also requires some use of the Ericcil.

Also, for Galba-Roa, I've found Livart the best, but some people say that Blirante also works, meaning I could level only Blirante, potentially catching up with the levels to some extent, then getting the other 2 to level 10 before the final dungeon with the Alma's Trial #4. Not to mention that Blirante is the only decent sword for damaging Orjugan.

I'd definitely do the Alma's Trials for the extra Emel, especially the 50 and 100,000 for the final two.
Thing is, is it worth it to max your sword/s, or just go with the level 10 ones?
All the way from level 1 to 10 it costs 17420 Emel for one, add extra 100,000 for the final level.

Stuff I'd grab from chests:
Galba Glove - 10 STR for 10 DEF.
Eldian Orb - Get or not? It might not be easy to pass Majunun for it....besides, it only increases your MP gauge recovery.
Bandit's Mail, Rehdan Shield - No armor will be used up to the point where I get this. The shield also increases your critical hit chance.
The Bandit's Armor would be my "ultimate" armor, unless I would go out of the way a bit to get the Galba Armor.
Galba Shield gives +5 STR, but Emelas Shield gives more DEF and MP recovery rate. Which one is better ;_;

Also, I'd go for the Capla Water in the Ruins of Amnesia for the Emel Mallet, as 50% extra Emel could prove useful in a speedrun.
Starlight Medal could be also worth it for the extra exp in the final dungeon.

EDIT: Got it under 3 hours, but it's hardly optimal as there were 2 huge mistakes(1-2 minute loss)
Playlist:

Thread title:  
Hello?
This would be cool to see.
I think level 10 swords will be enough, because I finished the game with only one maxed out sword.
I don't think levels will be too much of a problem because you get a fair bit at the end of the game, and you could get some from Alma's Trials if need be.
Emelas Shield is the way to go, as more magic attacks outweighs the extra strength.
That's all I can come up with off the top of my head.
Edit history:
Bananamatic: 2009-03-06 02:58:04 pm
Was trying out some bosses on Time Attack to look for the best strategies and Galba-Roa is even weaker to Blirante than he is to Livart.

I'll certainly have to level up a lot at Grana-Vallis and take a trip back for atleast level 4 Livart.

As long as I could damage the bosses, the only problem I could see is Ernst - he is the only boss I totally suck at besides Majunun, which is just a cheapass ._.

Healing items could become a problem, but on Normal, no item bosses shouldn't be too hard except for some, especially after the horrors on Nightmare.
Money could become a problem, but I only need some Herbs, Wild Fowl Meats and Blue Potions....

Also, I think that this game doesn't record time played, only the day and time of day when you've saved, meaning that I will have to manually time it.
Hello?
Level 4 only costs ~150 Emel, so it could be possible just killing a few enemies here and there.
Blirante Seems to be the sword to focus on, but it does get weaker comparatively at the end of the game I find, but that's not really a problem.
You'll be using the Bandit's armour for most/all of the game, so money shouldn't be an issue for the most part.
I find Blirante the best all the time :x
Found a decent enough strategy for Ernst, approach him and use the jump-special, jump over him and direct the flames right at him.
On Normal in Time Attack, I was able to beat him without healing.
Okay, didn't have much time for the few months and thought about this some more......

Another idea - mass grind on non-attacking stuff and the last enemies in the dungeons. Mines in Grana-Vallis, or the bombs in Kishgal - much faster to kill and the experience is better than the flamethrowers or the laser fish.

The only boss I'm worried about is Zonplas and the level/sword required to hit him.

Possible plan, didn't test yet:
In the beginning, hit a few monsters for level 2/3(saves time at boss I suppose), save at the Fountain. Kill Demi-Galba.
Lose to Geis on purpose, as my level is still low.
With no armor, get up to the first Grana-Vallis savepoint, grab the Bandit's Mail, then go farm the mines until about level 18(If I can damage them). And get the Wing of Alma of course. The latest enemies should give more Emel, so I'll get....well, if Zonplas can be damaged with a lv3 Livart(which I doubt), then 18 Emel, otherwise 52.(at 21 with a lv4 sword, I was doing 14 damage)

Then I'd do the first trial, which gets me 500 Emel, which gets me level 6 Blirante. 26+Galba Hand+lv6 sword killed Ud-Meiyu fast on Nightmare, and he has only 800 HP compared to 1930 on Nightmare.

Ruins of Amnesia gets me the Galba Hand, which is a free attack boost.
170 Emel leftover from before, second trial gives 2000. Level 8 Blirante costs 2140 total from lv6.

Third trial is halfway through the cave - I'd grab the Galba Shield there for more attack. Possibly even the armor, depending on the defence I would need. Complete the trial, 10,000 Emel. Enough to level up to 9, 6020 Emel left.

I'd kill a few flowers before Orjugan, as these are the best exp. Hopefully it will be enough for both Orjugan and Lanaluna.
I would grab the Admiral's Medal or w/e is it called for the exp boost.

Orjugan took 300 damage per sword spell with a lv8 Blirante at lv40, so a bit less with a better sword should be enough.
Lanaluna was done at the same level with a lv9 Blirante, took 5 minutes on Nightmare where she has 50% extra HP.

I'll need all 3 swords at Napishtim, preferably at level 10 - fourth trial gives 50,000.
50,620 Emel, level 10 Blirante, 39,720 Emel left.
One sword costs 17420 to level 10. That means, 34,840 Emel required and the 4th trial would be enough.

At Kishgal, rush over to the bomb area and grind your ass off to 45 or so. Shouldn't take long.

The final bosses shouldn't be that hard through lots of restarting.
I could use a few Capla Waters to rush Napishtim though. Lasted 1 minute in his second form on Nightmare that way.
Thing is, how much time could I save/lose? I would probably break even or lose a few minutes.
Catchin' them all
Not sure. It feels like you need a lot of grinding for exp and Emel. I'm not sure if it's worth the time it takes to get all that, but I guess planning would the best way since I have no idea how much damage the swords do versus the bosses. ;(

Really looking forward for this run though. =D
I've been trying some things ATM, and found out a few things:
Demi-Galba is easily beaten at level 2, and lifts me to level 5. However, at that level, the only hittable things are the ninja flowers which come in hordes and 2 hit you without any armor easily.
The mines are hard to hit even at level 10 or so with a lv1 sword, so yeah, I'll need to grind.

To hit the things easier, I'd get 5 Emel for the lv2 sword on the plain, but I need level 6 or so to damage the lizards.
At the same time, I would pick up the meat which sells for 780 gold or so, which allows me to buy the Ring Mail at the same time.
Edit history:
Bananamatic: 2009-05-27 10:57:07 am
Restarted the test run and got level 3 before Demi-Galba, which almost got me to 6, that I've managed to get on the way to the Mythos Path.

Could hurt the lizards, got 5 Emel and level 2 Livart. Also got the meat and bought the armor, which could prove useful since going around naked isn't the safest thing around.

Entered Grana-Vallis at level 6, with 3 ninja flower kills to lvl 7. At lvl 8(6 more plants or so), I can kill the mines for extreme exp, but only if I swordplant from an elevated area.

Fortunately, at the end of the first "side-scroll" area, there is a mine near the entrance which you can make boom and another one under the ledge below. Re-ented several times, level 14 in a minute or so, which means that you can hit the mines on the way with a swordplant from an even area and kill them before the explosion.

Got the Wing of Alma at level 17. Anyways, I've warped out and did the trial. The jumping is a bit tricky, so I'll allow a few mistakes there on the real run.
500 Emel and a few leftovers, so I've went over my expectations and got a level 5 Livart instead of 4.

Second boss time: Zonplas. 15 damage a hit at the current setup, and he isn't really hard.
The tricky thing is that when he rises to use the spray or throw out eggs, he is only damageable in the bottom half of the circle platform. In the top one, you can't reach him for some reason. Also if too many eggs are out, it might begin to lag. A few restarts should make it under 2 mins.
Got Blirante and Zonplas lifted me to level 20.

I'll probably do a bit more or play Persona 3....damn, I need to stop testing and finish that on Hard >.>

EDIT: Okay, did Ruins of Amnesia first.
Goal: Get the Galba Hand, Capla Water(skipped here), Accessory slot and possibly the Eldian Orb. Not sure if it is worth it, probably not.
Loads of restarting would be required since laser hit=knocked down=lost time=reset obviously.

Reached Ud-Meiyu at level 22. Easy to wipe him out, possibly under a minute.

I've read the posting guidelines and there was nothing about double posting, so I guess that I might double/triple/quadruple post in my own progress topic. If not, just merge the posts;o

Level 23 and close to 24 after Ud-Meiyu.
Anyways, did the second trial after getting Ericcil. This one is moving platforms, so it is easier movement-wise than the first one.
However, this one has a boss, Gaposdhala.
Thanks to an AI glitch you can trap this guy behind a pillar near the walls then cheap him with charged Blirante attacks from a distance. 2000 Emel, leveled up to 25, leveled Blirante to 8.

The quest through the rest of the beginning forest is completely optional I guess, as I've got the Gratios Talisman without doing it and reached the boss as well.

Problems? Yes. The Cave Lake boss which is coming up in a bit over 10 minutes has a recommended level of 40.
I guess that 35 might cut it, seeing how 40 is enough for the boss which comes after this one without any normal enemies between.

Anyways, in the Limewater Cave, I've picked up the Galba Shield(+5 ATK) and went for the second part.
I think that the Rainbow Fragment is worth the 20 seconds or so, as it changes the Shadow Adols(annoying and kills in 3 hits) into laser blasters which are much, much easier to dodge.

Here are 2 problem rooms, one filled with bats and 2 laser blasters, I've had to go through the bottom part of the room in order to dodge the bats, since they are as fast as you.
The room up ahead is even worse: the giant beetles which charge you with their giant antenna or w/e it is.
To dodge it, either a lucky jump or a Dash Jump dodges it.

I've landed the dash jump, but the one after it charged me and I barely got away with 9 HP. The Cave Lake part was easy, so no damage and reached the savepoint.....with 10 levels to grind.

The flowers seem as the best option, but the bombs they throw hit over 50% of your HP and the fact that you fight underwater doesn't help either.
I'll have to get used to their pattern again for the first few levels, then it gets smoother since my Blirante is a bit overleveled+I have the Galba Hand.

Tried the boss for the lulz, and the critters it throws do 50% of my HP. In the Time Trial, they hit for 4 HP max.
Couldn't touch the boss either.....forced grinding is forced. No other way.
Another update:
Flowers suck for exp. Dunno how did I find them good. Until level 33, there is a room before the one with the Galba Shield, and it's full of slimes....like 15+.
Easy experience until 33.
At 33, they give barely any or none.
Time to move on the second part of the dungeon.
Found a shortcut in one of the longer go-around rooms, by standing on a stalagmite and jumping across with a Dash Jump.
The next room has the beetles, but with the Blirante special they aren't that hard to kill and actually not bad exp. There are a few higher-exp slimes too, and after 2-3 screens cleared, I should be 34.

Trying Orjugan, I can damage him pretty well - however, he kills me within 2 hits.
I could grab a few Wild Fowl Meats along the way, which could give me more room for error. Also, since this fight is 90% magical, the Eldian Orb might help, but it is possible without.

The beetles also drop the Meats, so I could reset levels 33-34 until I would get a few. One is 10 seconds in the opposite direction after taking the shortcut as well.

All in all, after the boss, there is just some story and 4 bosses left, 3 of them being final in a sequence(able to save inbetween)
It's a pretty short, but a damn fun game.
Leveled to 35 which boosted my dmg output by a lot.
Won on like 10th attempt, got hit only 2 times and didn't need to heal.
Level 36 after.

Finished the third trials, the boss is rather hard hitting but not that hard to beat.

I was able to get a lv10 Blirante here, but had 40 Emel missing which I got on the Ruins of Amnesia backtrack.
Also bought 2 Blue Potions and a few Wild Fowl Meats for the escape.

Leveled to 37 on the forced Romun soldier.

Lanaluna took 3 attempt, just because she kills you within 2 hits and since the fight is rather short, it isn't worth it to waste healing items. Level 38 and a half after the battle.

Grabbed the Starlight Medal and equipped it right away. The soldiers kill you faster than the girls, so jump over them and let the girls just run past. Once you reach the deck, you get surrounded, which is what I've been saving a sword spell for - wiped 5 of them in one shot, leveled to 39 and went for the escape.

Fourth trial......final dungeon is next and I need all 3 swords lv10 here.

The corridors have the annoying beetles which still hit hard, so clean up from a distance.
Shadow Adol room can hurt, but luring them in one spot and using a sword spell kills like 90% of them.

Another corridor has undodgeable bats - I've equipped the Galba Hand and tried to dodge while spamming items.

The next room has Shadow Adols and beetles. Same as on the first one.
The final corridor has loads of beetles which dropped 3 meats for me. However, since the boss Gaposasura doesn't jump and there are some handy ledges, just jump on one and snipe him with a charged Blirante attack.

Leveled to 42 after the fight and got all 3 swords lvl 10.

Final dungeon next - should I kill the story Gaposasura on the way there? The Emelas crown gives +50% HP and the boss itself could be more easy exp. Then again, he could 1 hit since my def is crappy and there are no safespots. The final bosses aren't that hard.

For the final dungeon, kill the Kishcarins easily by jumping from side to side and swordplanting, then rushing over to the bombs, which die quickly and give lots of experience. I'll head for the final 3 battles at level 47 or so.

Also - pick the Emelas Shield or not? Level 50 on Nightmare was overkill, 47 on Normal would be probably a lot, so 5 attack loss in exchange for 32 defence seems fair.

I'll probably do a fun speedrun which I'll post on Youtube, then if I can be bothered to encode it all, try to improve further and possibly submit it to SDA....and hope some people would bother to verify it.

I don't see a problem with my strategy, as the grinding spots I've picked are probably some of the most time efficient there are and the stops before going on aren't more than 15 minutes.

As for the time, I have no idea, since the game doesn't seem to have a timer.
The test run took me 2 days up to the final dungeon, and a majority of that was failures(since being low leveled is brutal here)

Btw, does anyone here care about this rather....unknown game around here? Just post if you do or something, or share your ideas....or tell if you are willing to verify once I'll bother to make the real run.
Talk to the Hand
I'll take a crack at verifying this. It's a great game, and one I actually considered doing myself a few years back. The consideration was brief, let me assure you. I basically decided that the forced-leveling aspects made it, to be charitable, speedrun-unfriendly. I'd love to see a complete run of the game, even if it isn't necessarily super-quick.
What do you think that the estimated time could be? My rough guess is 3-6 hours.....

And one question....
Talking to the old man about Ur and getting the Map of Canaan - I guess that this is optional?

I would need 3 Capla Waters for the final boss third form to save 3 minutes or so - One is in the Ruins of Amnesia, another in Kishgal along the path I believe and another one in the Ark, meaning I would win some time with this.

Watching my Nightmare video, where he has 50% extra HP, I needed only 2 with pre-charging my swords in the first phase, which takes some time though(and I was on a higher level). I'll try the 2 water way on this one, then on the test speedrun the 3 water one.
Mapped Kishgal since you could get lost a bit.
First Kishcarin leveled me to 43 and a half, 43->47 at the bombs took 5 minutes. Picked the Emelas Shield.
Galba Roa is easy to take down fast, but Ernst....50 attempts or so and got to 1/2 HP at most.
4 vs 1 and they attack fast for 1/3 to 1/2 of your HP....and there are no openings.
Only thing that could possibly work is luring him into using his sword thrust into a corner, then abusing him there since he blocks constantly, but the flames still hit.
Trying to dodge and drag the fight isn't effective at all and not too speedrun-friendly....I'll keep on trying with the AI abuse way, it should work.
It worked, but it needs a bit of luck so he won't break off. Leveled once after killing 2 of the sprites, which healed me once too.
Failed like 40 times with getting him to 1000/2700 HP at most, then won with using only 2 out of my 5 Blue Potions.
For the real run, I'll probably grind the bombs until 48.

The Emelas Shield might be a bit of a waste, since I've used Galba Shield AND the Armor which I've looted just in case. I'll loot the armor too then.
Galba Roa kills in 2 hits regardless, so I'll try without. It's just a few seconds anyways.
Only the very final boss left.
.....which was easy.
The orbs went down fast, saved spells for the second phase. Got hit once, but it was for under 50% HP. Had the Emelas Shield on btw.
Second phase - 2 Capla Waters are just fine, magic rushed and killed him before he managed to retreat for the second time.

I'll try to go for the real thing now.
Changes I'll make:
I'll try to get to level 7 on the plains. I'll get the meat for the armor, though.
Don't get the Eldian Orb. Magic isn't THAT important, and when it is, the recovery rate is useless.
Level 48 on the Kishgal bombs before leaving.
Catchin' them all
It seems you are making steady progress. It really is too bad you have to grind so much. Sad

Anyway, can't wait for the real run! Cheesy
Yeah, it went smoother than expected.
The worst part about the real run will probably be the fact that I can't just select Continue, I'll have to reload it and record it with the loading screen. Watching the scenes before every boss might get annoying....especially at Ernst. I'll make sure to spend less cash on meats and more on Blue Potions then.

Still wondering whether the meat (and the armor) would be worth it, since I could just try and get uber skill against the flowers, in which case I wouldn't need the armor.
Getting it would just show the viewers that the runner has to waste time in order to stand a chance in a segment that requires only skill. I've died in that one in 3 hits anyways, saved me only 1 hit.

Another idea would be the Canaan Plain lizards up to lv8 - you can group them together and aren't that hard, as you can button mash through the hordes.
However, they drop less Emel than flowers, which drop 2 100% of the time while the lizards rarely drop 1 and a lv5 Livart really helps at Zonplas. The trial gives 500 though and makes everything at the mountain easy kills - moles take maybe 2 seconds and make up for the lost Emel in no time.

I guess that the lizard way should be faster and easier.

And there is a warp from the village to Port Rimorge, but I really don't know how to trigger it - saving at both stones maybe? It saves a lot of time, that's for sure....
Guess I'll test some more up to the lizards.

I'd also need 1 more accessory slot for the medal. The Wooden Bracelet could help too....which one to grab? Grana-Vallis(30 seconds out of the way) or the Amnesia Ruins one?(dash jump required, could be a segment killer if missed/knocked down by the fire blaster)
I don't really know enough about this game to help out much with the planning, but I just wanted to say good luck with this run!

Regarding the warp between the Rehdan Village and Port Rimorge, I was under the impression that was just a bonus for playing on the Normal difficulty (pretty sure it didn't appear in my later playthroughs, which were on Hard and Nightmare).  Of course, I may be mistaken, as I've only played the Normal difficulty once.
Edit history:
Bananamatic: 2009-05-29 05:16:16 pm
What can I say? F**k yes.
The lizard way is SO much better. Started at 0:09 AM, got to the second Grana-Vallis savepoint at level 16 at 0:42, real time.
Only one gameover compared to the 30 or so with the flower way.

EDIT: 1:14 AM, Ud-Meiyu down. The ruins part took only one restart. Easy so far.
2:03 AM - Orjugan down.
Keep in mind, this is real time, with errors and game overs.
Done in one sitting, from 0:09 AM to 3:50 AM, including the restarts. It could be pushed below 3 hours probably....
Okay, I still didn't give up on this, instead I did one last test run and took down notes:

Woods Of Quatera - level to 3, kill the boss, level goes up to 5, almost to 6.
Mythos Path - Kill the last enemy to get me to lv6, let Geis beat you, run through.
Canaan Plain - Level to lv8, get 5 Emel to get a lv2 Livart.
Grana-Vallis mountain - kill mines until lv15, grab the accessory holder, grab the Bandit Armor and Wing of Alma and teleport out. Save, finish trial, get a lv5 Livart, return back, get lv18 on the way there, beat the boss, which lifts me to lv20, go back and upgrade Blirante to lv6.

Ruins of Amnesia - run through, kill the laser blasters, get the Galba Hand, take on the boss at lv21, gets me to lv23, finish the dungeon, get the item which turns Shadow Adols into the laser throwers, do the trial after which gets me a lv8 Blirante.....or does it? I had to kill a few slimes and return as I was 50 Emel short.

Limewater Cave - run through, grab both the Galba Shield and armor, level to 31 on slimes(I'll do 30 as the final level is a bit too slow), then go on, level to 35 on the beetles, run through, beat the boss, do the trial(lv36 after everything)
Also buy 3 Blue Potions.

Romun Fleet - run through, kill boss(lv 36->38), get Starlight Medal,(grants more exp) you'll get lv39 after getting out.
Do trial 4, get all swords lv10, lv 42 after that all. 2 more Blue Potions from the trial.

Ruined City Kishgal - run to the bombs, level to 48 on them, grab the Capla Water and 2 Blue Potions.
Ark of Napishtim - Galba Roa goes down in under a minute, grab the second Capla Water, Ernst took me 2 tries with 9 Blue Potions, so with 7 it should be doable well enough.
Equip the Capla Waters, beat down the crystals, then waste the final boss through magic spam.

That's all Cheesy
If anyone cares about this run, here is the first segment(uploading 3rd atm):
Not going for SDA for now, but I'm trying to do it as if I would.