<- 12
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Catchin' them all
I see.

Well, it's looking very promising so far, but yeah, some mistakes shouldn't be there if it was for SDA. Wink
Hey the first segment seems nice! i like the Ys series, including this game, and im looking forward to the full run.

Are little mistakes really that unnacceptible on SDA? (mistakes that give like 1-3 second time losses) on a multi segmented run.
an example: evreything goes well in lets say a 10 minute first segmented run except 3 little mistakes that give 7 second time loss in total, is this accapteble in an RPG speedrun? and if like evrey segment has little mistakes in an intire run with in total roughly 2 minutus pure mistakes(RPG)?
100% runs=great to watch
I'd say it really depends on the verifiers and how severe the mistake is along with how many.  In general, you'd want to iron out as many issues as you can in a multisegment run as it is just more feasible a thing to do versus trying to do the same in a long single segment one.
Edit history:
Bananamatic: 2009-12-23 07:59:54 pm
Well, finally finished the test run with the time somewhere under 3 hours - I'll see once I upload all of the vids.
Did 2 big mistakes - forgot the Gratios Talisman(2 minute loss) and didn't get enough Emel for lv10 so I had to fight Lanaluna with a lv9 Blirante.
The rest could be done better, but a test run is a test run and no other big mistakes were made.
Reached the Ark of Napishtim at 2:36.

Here is the almost complete playlist-only the 2 last segments are still waiting to be uploaded tomorrow.
The quality(both sound and video) improves after the 8th one(since I've changed my encoding method and got a new audio splitter)
From what I've seen (up through the Ruins of Amnesia boss), the test run didn't look too bad.  Two things I want to ask about, though.

First, regarding the +STR accessory you get in the Ruins of Amnesia (Galba Hand?), how much of a difference does it make damage-wise if you were to go without it?  If, say, you're only doing 1 damage to the boss without it, then you'll probably want to get it (unless gaining an extra level solves that issue, provided you can do so fast enough).  On the other hand, if it only increases your damage by a small amount, then you might want to consider skipping it, unless it makes a significant difference later on.

And the other thing is regarding your leveling methods.  On the whole, they don't seem bad (granted, I've not done any tests of my own).  However, one thing I noticed is that you'll gain levels in a specific spot, and then afterwards it seems like you'll ignore most other enemies in your path on the way to the boss.  Now I know that it ultimately probably doesn't make too much of a difference, but assuming those enemies only take a couple of blows, it might help a little to kill the ones right in your path (for instance, when traveling the Canaan Plains, you avoided every enemy, even though several were in your way; also, in the Grana-Vallis Mountain, you passed up a few of those mines even though they could have been killed pretty easily).

You know the game better than I do, I'm sure, but that's what stuck out to me.  One more thing, using the Dash Jump should be the fastest way to travel, but seeing as it's kind of a pain to pull off (for me, at least =p), I certainly wouldn't fault you for not using it.
One level - 3 str and 3 def.
Galba Hand is 3 and a third of a level attack wise, with defense being irrelevant. Definitely worth it, as it allows me to get the easy levels and go straight to the boss.

About the leveling....many enemies do damage on contact or give much less exp. The mines give almost broken exp IMO, compared to the lizards.
One place where you might be correct might be Limewater Cave, as the slimes are everywhere. I've still decided to dash into the big slime room.

As for dash jumping, might try to practice that if I ever try the real run, but one dash jump missed and you're losing time. Not even sure whether it is faster or not.

Most of the game is combat anyways, as the dungeons aren't too long.
watched the run.  i can't really offer too much criticism out side of the normal menu navigation/tighten up the gameplay type stuff which I am sure you are completely aware.  One thing I thought about was charging up other swords when you didn't need to use blirante's special, but I really doubt that would be all that useful as the other swords have no levels compared to blirante.
Quote from messenger:
watched the run.  i can't really offer too much criticism out side of the normal menu navigation/tighten up the gameplay type stuff which I am sure you are completely aware.  One thing I thought about was charging up other swords when you didn't need to use blirante's special, but I really doubt that would be all that useful as the other swords have no levels compared to blirante.

Yeah, the menu stuff will be memorized once I get to the real run as this was more to get some basic times which I will try to improve in the real run(and also paths/learning from mistakes)
True, the swords should have been charged in Kishgal, this way I had to fool around in the first Napishtim battle for a bit.
Sorry if this was already covered, but after Zonplas, do you use Livart anymore (aside from the final boss)?  If not, then maybe you should see about skipping those extra Livart upgrades during the Grana-Vallis Mountain, and see if gaining some extra levels off the mines (provided you can damage them sufficiently) would be faster.
Edit history:
Korzic: 2010-01-26 06:31:14 pm
Well, I decided to do some testing of my own, both to see what really triggers the Rehdan Village/Port Rimorge warp, and to look for a possibly "better" strategy up through Zonplas.

From what I can gather, the warp is only available on the Normal and Hard difficulties. It seems to first become available after entering Rimorge, but only if the game has been completed once beforehand (or probably if you use the cheat that unlocks Time Attack/Nightmare, which is normally available upon completing the game).  Using the warp probably would count as "New Game+", so if you wanted to do a true "New Game", you'd need to play on a memory card that doesn't have Ys VI beaten.  Personally, I'd say don't worry about it, and just use the warp anyway.

Regarding Zonplas, it may be better to battle him with a level 4 Livart (52 total Emel - 0/5/13/34), which would require you to be level 20 to do decent damage.  Perhaps level 19, but I was only doing 6 damage then, whereas level 20 I was doing 11; by comparison, you were doing 12 damage with a level 5 Livart at level 18.

Now, for the tricky part.  In order to avoid doing the first trial to get the needed Emel (you'd still want to do it later, of course) it would probably be best to get your sword to level 3 (18 total Emel) before leaving for the Grana-Vallis Mountain, but that would require a fair bit of luck on your part.  Ideally, you'd want to collect the Emel on your way through the ruins, but in my experience, I've had better luck getting the wolves or whatever to drop it on the Canaan Plains.  Anyway, once your sword is upgraded, you should kill some enemies on the way to the mountain.  Three reasons for this: (1) to get your wind magic charged up, (2) to level up for this next bit (10/11 should be fine with a level 3 Livart), and (3) to possibly gather a little extra Emel.  Once inside the mountain, kill the flying insects (the Wind magic is invaluable for this, but a jumping slash works pretty well too), as they drop 5 Emel somewhat often, whereas most enemies before this point drop only 1.  With luck, you should have the needed Emel just by killing the insects on the lower half of the screen, of which there are 8-9.

After upgrading, I was able to get to level 20 by killing everything in my path (excluding most of the insects, I believe), including the mines that the enemies throw at you, as well as the throwers themselves.  However, it might be possible that you won't quite reach level 20 by the time you reach Zonplas.  In that case, you could kill some extra enemies along the way (perhaps the mines near the Wing of Alma, but the moles give better EXP after a while), or perhaps going through the trial would do the trick (still getting the 500 Emel for Blirante, of course).

Whether or not this is faster than your current method, I am not sure.  While some backtracking is still required, it has the benefit of doing most of the mountain in one go.  Plus, it gets to the needed level without much hassle, and I was almost level 21 afterwards (you were level 20).  In any event, it's certainly worth testing further, if you haven't already.

EDIT: Continued testing up through the second trial, which was done after Ud-Meiyu.  Going through the Ruins of Amnesia, by killing most everything in my path (aside from the later enemies which shoot out those discs or whatever), I was able to almost hit level 23 before Ud-Meiyu (and I probably would have, had I killed those last couple of flying insects).  Anyway, at level 22, I was doing 9/28 damage with Blirante's extension (Blirante was level 6, just like your run); you were doing 5/23 damage at level 21.  At level 23, the damage was 13/32.

On its own, that may not mean much of anything, as you probably could've hit level 22 just by killing those first few monsters in the Ruins of Amnesia, but it's doubtful you would've made it to level 23 before Ud-Meiyu without losing time.  However, upon completing the second trial, I hit level 27 by killing most of the enemies there, whereas you were level 25.  Not only that, I was doing 17 damage to the trial's boss (I was level 25 before killing it), whereas you were doing 8 - a significant improvement.
The mountain part sounds interesting.

Anyways, Meiyu isn't all that long at my level, maybe a minute at most, so you would save 30 seconds or so.
If I would restart to get more criticals, the time difference would be even smaller.
Considering that you'll have to do the trials anyways and that all of the laser blasters are pretty much mandatory kills(because it's so hard to time the jumps properly) and the fact that 2 levels are nothing in Limestone Cave at such low levels, it might be some time gain or a considerable loss.

My plan was like this:
Beat the bosses with the bare requirements to hit them
Never grind for too long, take advantage of the trials I have to do anyways
Reach lv10 with all 3 swords

As for the warp...anyone who speedruns has it unlocked anyways I guess, so a NG+ would be used by everyone. It's no run breaker anyways, it just saves time and makes it less tedious for the runner AND the viewer.
Edit history:
Korzic: 2010-01-30 08:30:55 am
Quote from Bananamatic:
Anyways, Meiyu isn't all that long at my level, maybe a minute at most, so you would save 30 seconds or so.
If I would restart to get more criticals, the time difference would be even smaller.

True, but getting criticals at level 22/23 would be even better (if only slightly).  Of course, that all depends on whether or not gaining the extra levels would save time in the first place, both here and with the alternate Zonplas strategy.  Whether or not that actually saves time is something that'll have to be tested, but the extra levels were pretty easy to get.

A couple more things you should look into.  First, do you know if that scene with Baslam and co. in the Mirror can be done without finding Dogi and the pirates after Orjugan?  It seems to me that the scene might be available just by returning all of the Mirror pieces to Olha.  If so, that might make for a possible sequence break.  To be honest, I kind of doubt the game would let you completely skip it (perhaps temporarily), but it can't hurt to try.

Also, a minor glitch you might want to keep in mind (kind of hard to explain).  If you use the Wing of Alma while jumping into the various "trigger points" for events, the game will activate the warp (or attempt to), temporarily bypassing the trigger.  The catch is that, for most of these events, the game will only allow the use of the "Warp" function.  So, upon escaping the trial, the game will usually just activate the event then.  However, there was one event I was able to bypass so far via this method, and that is the run-in with Geis after obtaining Ericcil.  However, the effect is only temporary, as the game will just load it again when you return to the Sanctum later in the story (unless you were to bypass it again).  Again, I doubt anything useful will come via this glitch, but it may be worth keeping in mind.

Quote from Bananamatic:

Actually, I was told that on Hard and Nightmare, the minimum damage is 1.  If that's the case, then a higher difficulty could theoretically be shorter, especially with the presence of the colored enemies that drop multiple Emel.
Edit history:
Korzic: 2010-04-16 08:47:08 pm
Any updates regarding this run?  I know it's probably a pain to test, especially since the EXP system seems to be identical to Ys II's (gave me a lot of headaches).  Anyway, I have a couple minor updates from my previous post, though you may already be aware of them.

Quote from Korzic:
A couple more things you should look into.  First, do you know if that scene with Baslam and co. in the Mirror can be done without finding Dogi and the pirates after Orjugan?  It seems to me that the scene might be available just by returning all of the Mirror pieces to Olha.  If so, that might make for a possible sequence break.  To be honest, I kind of doubt the game would let you completely skip it (perhaps temporarily), but it can't hurt to try.

This doesn't work.  Returning the Mirror pieces to Olha can be done (she's at Windseeker Heights), but nothing else happens until finding Dogi and the pirates.

Quote from Korzic:
Quote from Bananamatic:

Actually, I was told that on Hard and Nightmare, the minimum damage is 1.  If that's the case, then a higher difficulty could theoretically be shorter, especially with the presence of the colored enemies that drop multiple Emel.

This probably doesn't mean anything.  I was thinking maybe you could power-level for Demi-Galba/Zonplas with the enemies near Windseeker Heights, but they don't give out nearly enough EXP to be killed prematurely, especially given how long it takes to kill them under-leveled.
I don't know if anyone's still working on this, but here's something I posted on another forum that might have speedrun potential.  First things first, this post only relates to the PS2 version of the game, as that is the only one I'm currently able to play.  Perhaps it applies to the PC and PSP versions, perhaps not.

Anyway, I'm sure someone's probably looked into this before, but I'm curious to know if it's possible to gain entry to the Ruined City of Kishgal before you're meant to.  Seeing as how a lot of newer generation games seem to have small bugs in their respective graphics engines, I tried to clip into Kishgal's entry point early.

While I haven't gotten inside, I did discover that Adol will clip through the ground in certain spots (need to be positioned very precisely), and will hover in his jumping animation (when a sword is used in that state, Adol does the downward thrust animation).

The black circle is where the Kishgal entry point is, and the red dots are where I've clipped through the ground (though there's more, I'm sure).  Pretty much any forward/backward movement in those spots will get him unstuck.  I was hoping to use the Blirante/Erricil charged magics to force "stationary" backwards momentum while hovering towards the Kishgal entry point, but it didn't work.

So perhaps there's another place to clip into the ground.  I've tried messing around the edge of the light blue circle, and in certain spots, it seems Adol goes down briefly, but is pushed right back up (could be his feet touching a higher/lower point).  Of course, it could simply be that there's a barrier around the entry point until the Wyvern Medallion or whatever is inserted like normal.  Yet another thought would be to clip out of bounds, kind of like in this video, though I don't know how that works, or if it's even possible in the PS2 version.  However, if Ys I & II Complete are any indication, clipping out of bounds means you can't normally get back in, nor can you no longer use the various entry points.

Well, does anyone know anything more about this?  Any suggestions as to how to make it work?  Since this place can't normally be accessed until very late in the game and thus has only one state we ever see it in, I'm hoping that if we can enter early, the scenes at the end will function like normal, hopefully skipping a large chunk of the game.
Edit history:
Korzic: 2012-10-25 12:55:18 pm
Korzic: 2012-10-23 06:16:32 pm
Korzic: 2012-10-23 06:14:41 pm
Korzic: 2012-10-22 08:28:29 pm
Korzic: 2012-10-22 08:26:40 pm
Posted this in the PC thread for this game, but may as well post it here, as I suspect this is the more popular version of the game in these parts.

Anyway, I found a minor sequence break in the Ruins of Kishgal.  At the part where you normally need to press 4 switches to raise 4 platforms to reach the end of the dungeon, turns out you can get away with only pressing two (well, actually, you can use just one, but I think that may be slower).  The two you want to raise are the 1st and 3rd (from top to bottom).  After hitting the switch for the third one, you go to where it raised (this should be possible without navigating the bottom of the screen, by jumping back up in much the same manner as this video (minor Ys Origin spoilers), though this is likely easier in the PC version than the PS2, due to being able to use the mouse), and then diagonally dash jump onto it.  After that, a precise dash jump + immediate air slash afterwards can give you the distance to clear the gap where the 4th platform would be raised, which of course leads to the switch raising the first platform (actually, I'm not sure if the air slashes are necessary, but they seem to help).  Anyway, this basically requires three precise dash jumps (the other method is raising the 2nd platform, and dash jumping + slashing across, but you have to navigate down, then back up one of those tower rooms), but the second Kishgal save point is nearby, so it shouldn't be too difficult to perform.

Hmm, I wonder if this is useful anywhere else.  Maybe could be used to help skip some platforms in Alma's Trials in the PS2 version  (I know some are possible with a normal dash jump, but not sure which ones offhand - there's also one jump I seem to recall just barely missing, so maybe the air slashes would help with that).  I also wonder if Ericcil's extension (the lightning dash thing) would work in clearing the gaps.

Oh yeah, there was also something else from the PC thread that may be useful (maybe not, I don't know for sure).  For Lanaluna (Admiral Agares' pet), you can fire a charged Ericcil magic at a certain angle (for the PS2 version, I think it's done at a somewhat NE angle) before opening the door to the fight, which could help deal a little bit of extra damage before the fight's even begun (preferably done at the same time you open the door).  Actually, you can probably kill him via this method, but it's far too time-consuming from what I've tried (admittedly, the damage does seem kind of small, but maybe it'd still be useful?).

Well, that's all the recent stuff I can think of off the top of my head, if anyone's still interested in running this (I'm considering it, but I really ought to finish Ys II Complete first).  Unfortunately, nothing's come of my attempts to enter Kishgal early, though maybe someone else will find something.

EDIT: For the 1st trial, dash jumps can be used to create a small detour along the top left part of the screen (on those little platforms, instead of near the second chest), but it's kind of tricky.  2nd trial, take the platform to the first Herb chest, and on the right edge of the chest platform, you can dash jump + air slash upwards to the exit (don't know if the air slash is strictly needed, though).  Maybe a very precise NE dash jump can be made from the second Herb chest in this trial, but it seems like it may be too far (would be very difficult, if possible).  For the normal way around that room, you can actually do a dash jump to skip one of the platforms (instead of taking one of them up, you dash jump to the one to your right).  4th trial, you can take the lower platform on the right-hand side of the screen close to the western exit, and then at the very top, make a dash jump (I don't think an air slash is required here) to that exit to make it a pretty quick trial.  A couple other places I recall are in the Ruins of Amnesia.  You can use dash jumps in the big pit room with the Capla Water/accessory slot to use the top part of the screen as a shortcut, though it's quite difficult to do.  Also, with regards to the accessory slot chest (would the route even get this, or skip it?), you can actually do a dash jump upwards, instead of circling around for it.  This, too, is quite difficult to do, but perhaps adding air slashes will help (if only slightly).

That's all I can think of at the moment, except to say with regards to the glitchy jumps to higher ground, I remember people mentioning it's possible at some points in the Grana-Vallis Mountain, as well as Limewater Cave, but I can't recall the exact points offhand.
Edit history:
Korzic: 2014-03-26 01:46:49 pm
Korzic: 2014-03-26 12:53:49 pm
Korzic: 2014-03-26 12:47:33 pm
Korzic: 2014-03-26 12:42:24 pm
Got a hold of a PC copy of the game recently (version 1.3.1.0, if it matters glitch-wise), and decided to try my hand at a single segment run, just to see how it'd match up time-wise to what others have shown:

As you can see, this beats Bananamatic's testrun pretty handily, as well as the progress level70steve had made with the PC version (I estimate the PC version can at least get below 1:50:00, maybe even 1:45:00 with extreme optimization and a more refined route).  True, some of the time shaved likely comes from dash jumping at times (much easier to perform with a mouse than with a controller, IMO), and virtually no load times, but I believe it's more route-related than anything, which is why I felt the need to post this, even though it contains about 4 minutes worth of "major" errors, as well as numerous smaller ones.  However, I want to make clear that I probably will not do any super serious running of this game at the moment, as getting the above video has proven fairly taxing, and segmentation is just plain out of the question for a perfectionist like myself (besides, my speedrunning focus really needs to be on Ys II Complete before anything else).

Anyway, the first thing to note is the out of bounds clip on the beach, which I can use to reach a Capla Water very early on, which is traded to Agu for the Emel Mallet as soon as I enter Port Rimorge.  I don't know if the clip is possible on the PS2 version or not, but even if it isn't, you don't see much of an increase in Emel until the Limewater Cave.  Worst case scenario, a Capla Water from the Ruins of Amnesia can be obtained and traded afterwards, but I think the Emel Mallet is probably something that should be obtained at some point.  As for the glitch itself, I'm not sure how it works, but I think maybe it has to do with areas where the Gratios Talisman can be used, as the only other out of bounds clip I've found where this kind of movement is allowed is where you find Geis in the Limewater Cave (unfortunately, the clips I've encountered there are ultimately useless, but maybe there's still a way to activate the screen transition leading underwater without the Gratios Talisman).

Speaking of Emel, that was the reason for all those extra enemy kills before Zonplas, to obtain 370 to upgrade Blirante for Ud-Meiyu (being the PC version, I do not have access to Alma's Trials, but even so, I believe those take too long to be of any use - *maybe* one or two would be helpful in the PS2 version, but I don't know).  Yes, I was fairly close to level 21, but I'm not sure it's worthwhile to bother hitting that before Zonplas, as I think it's only 15 damage as opposed to 10 or 11.  However, I will say that the beginning of the Grana-Vallis Mountain can be done quicker, but it's way too easy to get killed by stuff (especially the bugs), so I decided to grind a bit on the mines prematurely to lessen the chances of that happening.  As mentioned in the PC topic, level70steve managed to get out of bounds in this fight, but I've been unable to reproduce it (I think maybe it was patched in newer releases).  I theorize that doing so may allow one to escape the battle without actually killing him, which should load the post-battle cutscene; if so, this would mean the Emel grinding for Livart could be put on hold, although normal leveling should still of course be done.

One of the few things I've yet to look into is whether or not the plants that appear near the bridge before heading to the Ruins of Amnesia need to be killed for the bridge to get repaired, but I do so anyway both because it's a guaranteed Emel drop (just worth 5, 7 with the Emel Mallet equipped), and also there's a chance they'll drop an Herb.  I think there is a quicker way of traversing the big room in the Ruins, which involves a few dash jumps along the top near where the Capla Water is, but it's extremely risky, so I avoid trying it during the second trip (first trip you wouldn't do so because of the path to the Galba Hand).  About Ud-Meiyu, that pre-fight kill is not doable in the PS2 version (at least, not without maxed out Fire magic), but it doesn't really matter, as the actual battle is still pretty easy.  To be honest, I don't know if it's faster to just kill him the normal way or not (he's stationary at the very least, but I dunno if the damage he takes is reduced or not).

The bee boss is unnecessary, but I chose to kill it to obtain the Bell of Silence, which is equipped later on to repeatedly grind on a cluster of the hard-shelled enemies, but I do so after the necessary Blirante upgrades (not 100% sure it's beneficial to get the Galba Shield and Galba Armor when I did, but I'll want them both anyway, so may as well use them to make the bee boss a little easier).  If there's one area where Alma's Trials would be useful, it'd be to cut out this Emel grinding, but again, I'm not convinced they're worth it (at the very least, I'd guess two trials would need to be completed to cover the amount, perhaps 3).  Anyway, I'm not sure the hard-shelled beasts are the fastest grinding method for Orjugan, but it's by far the easiest (I got to level 37, though 35 or 36 is doable for Orjugan, just harder).  Plus, they have a fair chance to drop Herbs (useful for Orjugan - don't really need the Wild Fowl Meats just yet), and their Emel drops are just as good as the more dangerous enemies, so may as well collect those as well.

As mentioned previously in the topic, I skipped one of the platforms at the end of Kishgal, but it could've been two, by doing an "extended" dash jump.  This would be done by doing an upward slash in the middle of it - basically, a normal dash jump, than a directional button followed by the attack button in midair.  It's a bit tricky to pull off, and I already fell off once, so I opted not to try for it this time around.

Before fighting Ernst, there is ordinarily a small cutscene with Geis, but using a glitchy jump (jumping against a wall at a certain angle to gain more height than usual - works best with mouse movement, IMO) from the sides of the stairs, this can be skipped.  Also, before fighting Napishtim, you can jump onto the ring prematurely, and in a certain spot, the fight will not immediately activate.  Unfortunately, it seems useless, since even if you use magic to destroy an orb (the only one I could hit was the yellow one via Thunder magic), it doesn't seem to knock off the appropriate HP as it does for other scenarios where you can prematurely attack a boss (Ud-Meiyu and Lanaluna).  However, I theorize that maybe if all 3 can be destroyed before initiating the fight, it may be useful; I'm thinking it may need an earlier PC version to do so, though (Falcom mentioned something about the Ark in one of their patch notes, but I don't know if it was related to this, or something else).

The Lucky Silver Coin and Emelas Crown I obtained primarily to help my chances in surviving Ernst (a very difficult battle with this setup - surprised I didn't die there), but a segmented run could theoretically do without them.  Here, I fought Ernst at level 49, and so I made sure to be level 47 with at least 9,703 EXP remaining when entering the Ark to ensure that I reach that (using the Romun EXP badge accessory).  While he can probably be defeated at even lower levels, I don't feel comfortable doing so in a single segment run (not to mention, Galba Roa is a bit slower at level 46, I think).  As mentioned above, I failed to skip the post-Ernst cutscene (the skip can be seen here), which is done by dash jumping back out of the room before the cutscene activates (you have a small window to do this where the arena borders are temporarily lifted, but you have to be quick about it - requires killing him on the lower part of the screen, I think).  To be honest, I'm not 100% sure this is doable on the PS2 version (I suck at dash jumping using a controller), but I believe it should be, as the arena borders are still momentarily lifted.  Either way, it saves about 2 minutes if you can pull it off, so it should at least be attempted.

As for Napishtim, the blue orb gave me trouble, and so I had to use my Capla Waters earlier than I would've liked, but thankfully, I didn't die this time around (fairly easy to do with this setup).  I'm not sure, but having Livart 1 level higher may be beneficial.  Of course, the real problem is the blue orb's starting position is right next to a couple lasers, so you can't do a whole lot before it wanders away (it's position will be different if you die and restart, but obviously, you don't want to resort to that).

Anyway, that's all I can think of at the moment.  As I said, I do not intend on doing any serious running of the game at the time being (I'll possibly continue single segment PC runs on and off, but I dunno how much more of that I can handle), but here's hoping it provides others with some motivation.
Wish u good luck! Really excited about a YS Run ^^
Edit history:
Korzic: 2015-05-09 05:13:14 pm
Korzic: 2015-05-09 05:10:29 pm
Korzic: 2015-05-09 04:36:24 pm
Korzic: 2015-05-09 04:33:18 pm
So I mentioned before in this thread that I've been trying to break into Kishgal early.  Well, after a lot of playing around on that screen, I've finally figured out a way inside!  This was done on the Japanese PC version, so I don't know whether or not it'll work for the PS2/PSP versions.  As for the recently released Steam version, that has warping available on most screens, so it likely isn't doable, at least not via this method.  Anyway, here's the video:

More details are in the video description, but basically, the transition point doesn't even seem to exist until after the Romuns arrive (my guess is there's actually 3 different screens of Windseeker Heights, one for each time the background scenery changes, but the transition point only exists for the last two sets).  At least you can skip the whole thing with infiltrating the fleet to save the Rehda (aren't speedrunners heartless? =p), though I think there will be some time loss from not picking up the Starlight Medal for extra EXP.  Also, I'm not sure the Emelas Crown (extra HP) can be obtained until after the stuff with the fleet, but that's something that needs to be removed from the route at some point anyway.  I'd suggest getting the Emelas Shield inside Kishgal if surviving the final bosses is too much of an issue, but there's the loss of STR from the Galba Shield to consider.  That stuff aside, the remainder of the game appears to function as normal (haven't finished the playthrough with the clip, but I did at least confirm things were working up to getting inside the Ark).

I'd also like to mention that my speedrun above has been quite handily beaten pretty recently.  Here's a link to that (it's also on Nicovideo):

Our timing methods differ (plus they had movie playback disabled somehow), but it's still a solid ~15 minutes off my time.  Probably even more once the Kishgal clip makes its way into a run (I have no true estimate, but at first glance, I'd say it saves ~13 - 15 minutes, without taking the loss of the Starlight Medal/slightly reduced levels into account).  Not that I was expecting my run to last or anything. =p  (And, no, I probably won't try to beat this.  I simply don't feel skilled enough to hold the record for very long.)