<- 123456 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Banjo Kazooie
Quote from RingRush:
I do not agree with this run being rejected because of Ticker's Tower. I think you should have skipped termite, but it isn't the end of the world that you didn't. However, I agree with the final verdict.

The run looks sloppy. Having raced this game a lot, I know how difficult it is to not make any mistakes, but the run is almost characterized by a bunch of small mistakes. Your movement is poor, and when we talked to you about it, you said that it was just for show and said it didn't really matter. TASers say otherwise, and despite what you think, they know more about the game mechanics than you do. In fact, this attitude that you know more about the game than anyone else is probably one of the major factors towards this rejection. You ignored people when they suggested you to redo. You refused to discuss your routes with us. You didn't listen when we said certain things were faster. And guess what? Your run got rejected.

As has been said plenty of times, SDA is not purely about keeping records. We are an archive of speedy videos. We are not obligated to accept a run just because it is faster – we want a run that looks good. You may have not made any major mistakes, and you may have done some hard tricks, but overall the run is not as impressive as it could be. We say to reset at the missed flip at the start because first impressions mean a lot. I personally tried that trick before writing this…with a bit of work, I managed to get it about 80% consistent. With as much practice as you had on it, surely you can get even better. A lot of people are harping on this trick because it is so early on, but don’t think this is the only example of a sloppy point. It is just one of the most obvious and easily correctable ones.

Next, effort actually matters considerably.  However long you played this game beforehand, the fact remains you were only recording for five days. Now, sometimes, if you get really lucky, this is enough to crank out a good run. But as the response obviously shows, that is not the case here. If you truly have been playing the game for so long, why is it so hard to just keep trying? Your goal time was 2:25-2:30, you got over 3 minutes above that and said “okay, I’m done.” If you had no more time left, I’d understand. But you said in the topic afterwards your next project would be some BK ILs. If you have time for another project you surely have time for more attempts to iron out your mistakes. You may be the best BK player ever, you may have years and years of practice, but this run didn’t show the kind of optimization you brag about.

Moving onto routes…in many places your routes were better. You used some new tricks and strategies that I’ve never even seen before. You put back in the RBB window trick and used the more optimal FP/GV route. However, you also ignored a lot of possible improvements. Unique strategies are great, but often times the established route is the best one.

Your MMM was worse than packattack’s. You claim it is because of being turned into a pumpkin and a mishap with the running shoes. But remember, he wasted a full minute from just one mistake, significantly more than your two “major” mistakes combined. The fact that you still lost to him by a noticeable margin points to the fact that either A] your play is much sloppier, or B] your route is much worse. I haven’t done an in-depth comparison between the two runs, but you must have lost a lot of time in this level alone.  Although your run is faster, there is definite room for improvement, as cases like this show.

So, why accept packattack’s run over yours? For one, he spent a longer time recording the run, which alone obviously isn’t enough to warrant acceptance. However, at the time, skipping Brentilda was a big novelty, so that weighed in his favor. The run before his wasted over a minute on the RBB window trick, so people understood why he cut it out. He had some huge blemishes (MMM comes to mind), but overall he was pretty consistent. He collaborated with people, did route research based on previous runs and the TAS, and took input from others on what he could improve. In the end, his run looked like it could be a finished product. Yours, partially because of the run, and partially because of your attitude and circumstances, does not.

To top it all off, there is a quality issue. Your run was not recorded in the way outlined by the knowledge database, and it suffers because of it. As said earlier, this site is about videos, and the video/audio aspect of your run is not up to par. This wouldn’t be fatal, but when combined with the other issues, is a pretty convincing nail in the coffin.

In conclusion, you refused to collaborate (and apparently continue to do so judging by your recent posts), you did not spend as much time as we know you could on the run (and considerably less than the site average), you have some audiovisual problems, and your run looks sloppy, uses unoptimized movement, and ignores better routes. Decision: reject.

I really, really, really hope you do another run. The fact that you beat the old run by almost 3 minutes shows that you are really fucking skilled. Please consider trying more on this, listening to others, and hopefully your next submission will be accepted. Being secretive as you said before may lead to this same controversy all over again.

And as one final note, I’ve done quite a few tests with the in-game timer today. I have determined that time stops for some amount of time during transitions between two areas (such as entering and exiting mumbo’s skull). If your routes utilize more transitions, that also might explain some of the improvements. It is something new for everyone to think about as we start trying to fuse your route improvements with existing ones.

Ringrush, please correct me if I'm wrong. If I had never mentioned when I started recording or had I lied that I'd been recording for months, that would have improved my chances of my run being accepted. (I would never do that because I'm not a liar). The reason why I never discussed my routes with anyone was because I knew what I was going to do and I actually prefer to do things on my own. I didn't get to the top of the bk xbla version leaderboards with anyone's help and I had the time of my life. I learned not to tell anybody anything back when leaderboards were competitive for resident evil 5. My brother and I could probably compete with the current re5 record for sda. That's beside the point, we had to get so defensive as we were recieving tons of messages over xbox live about how we did it. This is the first run I've ever submitted so I didn't know it's best if I tell everybody all of my tricks and stuff. I wanted to do the run, I didn't want somebody else to beat me to the punch. I also really wanted my run to be enjoyable for everyone, that's why I didn't want to tell anybody, I wanted there to be surprises for everyone watching the run.
Banjo Kazooie
I'm not exactly sure which version I have. People have told me I have the ntsc version, the only thing I know about it is that I got it for christmas in like 1998 or something. Is there a way to check?
Balls jerky
look on the back of the label. there's an imprinted number on the back. There may be letters also. Mine says 07
Banjo Kazooie
mine says

nus-usa/can-1
Edit history:
Jumpman__: 2011-03-27 10:08:35 pm
Banjo Kazooie
on the front it says

nus-006 (usa)
nus-nbke-usa-1
didn't mean to double post XD
welcome to the machine
Imprinted, not printed.  If you look closely at the back label, and shift it around in the light, you can see two numbers and possibly a letter that have been pressed into the back label, like if someone scratched them in.
Edit history:
dballin: 2011-03-27 10:09:10 pm
Balls jerky
there should be a number stamped into the label right to the left of where it says nus-usa/can-1 or what vorpal said
Banjo Kazooie
Oh i didn't know that, it says 20A
I think
Balls jerky
you have version 1.1 which apparently ticker tower doesn't work
Banjo Kazooie
!!! I knew it!!!
Balls jerky
I don't know how you have the newer version if you got it in 1998 though
Banjo Kazooie
I think i got it in 1998, it could have been a year or two later, that was a long time ago XD
Banjo Kazooie
So how does that work, does my version of BK get it's own category over this one known difference? I wonder if there is any other tricks that I may have done that can't be done on the other version.
Edit history:
dballin: 2011-03-27 10:15:04 pm
Balls jerky
If it's anything like Metroid Prime, your version wouldn't be allowed on the site.

not that im saying that will happen...
Banjo Kazooie
I haven't looked into metroid prime speedruns very much, so I don't know how different the versions are. If ticker's tower was the only difference do you think it wouldn't be allowed?
Edit history:
Flip: 2011-03-27 10:20:01 pm
1-Up!
SDA isn't very sympathetic to running the wrong version.  If you run the slow version then thats that.  Anybody running the fast version will have an advantage.

edit: even with the tickers tower issue removed, there are plenty of points in RingRush's post which still stand.  Please don't get your hopes up that this will magically make your run accepted.
welcome to the machine
but of course we separate out different regions...
Edit history:
Jumpman__: 2011-03-27 10:32:46 pm
Banjo Kazooie
I'm not expecting the different version to magically get my run accepted at all. I would like there to be a reverification though as that was the main reason the verifiers had on crucifying my run.

I don't expect to be given special treatment because of the fact that the trick is impossible to do on my version and I just want the new verifiers to keep that fact in mind.

Before I forget, there is one major complaint that I have to get off my chest. How in the world does it take three and a half months to get a run verified? I know there was a miscommunication in the first month, in which my run was never sent to nate. But after he got it, it took forever. XD

Anyways, I know I'm complaining about something out of most people's control but I really wanted to see if my run would be accepted or not close to when I played bk. It was during my christmas break so I had time to kill and I was ready to speedrun. It was my first submission and I was primarily worried that my run was going to be rejected due to quality issues. I wasn't going to rerun the game until I knew if I was recording correctly or not. So I actually came to sda EVERY DAY and checked if it had been verified or not and it kinda got repetetive.

I'm at least glad that the quality was fine enough that I now have my official way to record.

I love this game and there are a few other games that I love that I can't wait to speedrun.
Edit history:
Jumpman__: 2011-03-27 11:19:39 pm
Banjo Kazooie
Quote from RingRush:
I do not agree with this run being rejected because of Ticker's Tower. I think you should have skipped termite, but it isn't the end of the world that you didn't. However, I agree with the final verdict.

The run looks sloppy. Having raced this game a lot, I know how difficult it is to not make any mistakes, but the run is almost characterized by a bunch of small mistakes. Your movement is poor, and when we talked to you about it, you said that it was just for show and said it didn't really matter. TASers say otherwise, and despite what you think, they know more about the game mechanics than you do. In fact, this attitude that you know more about the game than anyone else is probably one of the major factors towards this rejection. You ignored people when they suggested you to redo. You refused to discuss your routes with us. You didn't listen when we said certain things were faster. And guess what? Your run got rejected.

As has been said plenty of times, SDA is not purely about keeping records. We are an archive of speedy videos. We are not obligated to accept a run just because it is faster – we want a run that looks good. You may have not made any major mistakes, and you may have done some hard tricks, but overall the run is not as impressive as it could be. We say to reset at the missed flip at the start because first impressions mean a lot. I personally tried that trick before writing this…with a bit of work, I managed to get it about 80% consistent. With as much practice as you had on it, surely you can get even better. A lot of people are harping on this trick because it is so early on, but don’t think this is the only example of a sloppy point. It is just one of the most obvious and easily correctable ones.

Next, effort actually matters considerably.  However long you played this game beforehand, the fact remains you were only recording for five days. Now, sometimes, if you get really lucky, this is enough to crank out a good run. But as the response obviously shows, that is not the case here. If you truly have been playing the game for so long, why is it so hard to just keep trying? Your goal time was 2:25-2:30, you got over 3 minutes above that and said “okay, I’m done.” If you had no more time left, I’d understand. But you said in the topic afterwards your next project would be some BK ILs. If you have time for another project you surely have time for more attempts to iron out your mistakes. You may be the best BK player ever, you may have years and years of practice, but this run didn’t show the kind of optimization you brag about.

Moving onto routes…in many places your routes were better. You used some new tricks and strategies that I’ve never even seen before. You put back in the RBB window trick and used the more optimal FP/GV route. However, you also ignored a lot of possible improvements. Unique strategies are great, but often times the established route is the best one.

Your MMM was worse than packattack’s. You claim it is because of being turned into a pumpkin and a mishap with the running shoes. But remember, he wasted a full minute from just one mistake, significantly more than your two “major” mistakes combined. The fact that you still lost to him by a noticeable margin points to the fact that either A] your play is much sloppier, or B] your route is much worse. I haven’t done an in-depth comparison between the two runs, but you must have lost a lot of time in this level alone.  Although your run is faster, there is definite room for improvement, as cases like this show.

So, why accept packattack’s run over yours? For one, he spent a longer time recording the run, which alone obviously isn’t enough to warrant acceptance. However, at the time, skipping Brentilda was a big novelty, so that weighed in his favor. The run before his wasted over a minute on the RBB window trick, so people understood why he cut it out. He had some huge blemishes (MMM comes to mind), but overall he was pretty consistent. He collaborated with people, did route research based on previous runs and the TAS, and took input from others on what he could improve. In the end, his run looked like it could be a finished product. Yours, partially because of the run, and partially because of your attitude and circumstances, does not.

To top it all off, there is a quality issue. Your run was not recorded in the way outlined by the knowledge database, and it suffers because of it. As said earlier, this site is about videos, and the video/audio aspect of your run is not up to par. This wouldn’t be fatal, but when combined with the other issues, is a pretty convincing nail in the coffin.

In conclusion, you refused to collaborate (and apparently continue to do so judging by your recent posts), you did not spend as much time as we know you could on the run (and considerably less than the site average), you have some audiovisual problems, and your run looks sloppy, uses unoptimized movement, and ignores better routes. Decision: reject.

I really, really, really hope you do another run. The fact that you beat the old run by almost 3 minutes shows that you are really fucking skilled. Please consider trying more on this, listening to others, and hopefully your next submission will be accepted. Being secretive as you said before may lead to this same controversy all over again.

And as one final note, I’ve done quite a few tests with the in-game timer today. I have determined that time stops for some amount of time during transitions between two areas (such as entering and exiting mumbo’s skull). If your routes utilize more transitions, that also might explain some of the improvements. It is something new for everyone to think about as we start trying to fuse your route improvements with existing ones.

This bugs me a lot. I've already stated that I played Banjo Kazooie longer than just about anybody in the world. (I don't mean for that to make me sound cocky) I can run this game pretty well. I actually started recording because I finally had access to the means to record. I went out and spent a hundred bucks on a capture card and I started to record because I knew for a fact that I was consistent enough at the game to go record a quality run. In the post I made before this one I explain that I was waiting to see if the quality of the run was good enough. I did plan on doing bk ils and I still do plan to do them for the xbla version but I couldn't until I knew I was recording correctly. Now that I know I plan on doing it in a few months when I get out of school probably. My target time that I said of 2:25 to 2:30 is my estimation of a perfect speedrun. The run I submitted is actually the best overall time I've ever gotten. I've done stages faster, but I've never been able to get them all down as good as I did in the run.

I did not collaborate with people due to the reasons I said in my previous post, I did TONS of route research based on the TAS and previous runs and my own runs from the xbla version. You point out MMM as a primary focal point in your argument. You could also point out that my CCW was bad. I could point out that my TTC could have been substantially better than his, had I not made the mistakes I made. I could point out that my RBB and Clanker's Cavern are substantially better as well. MMM is not the only stage in the game, some of his stages are better than mine and some of mine are better than his.

Ringrush, I do not appreciate being bashed by a guy I've never met over the internet. You say that I have an attitude. I don't remember ever saying anything bad about the way you talk to people, I never meant to have an attitude and I have no idea how you can tell that I have an attitude over what I've written. You seem to be hell bent on pointing out everything negative you can think of about my run for whatever reason. I don't see a single positive thing about my run in your entire post. This leads me to believe that your opinion is biased. Not trying to be confrontational or anything but for your opinion to have any substance you should look at both sides instead of just one.
1-Up!
Here's something you need to understand.  Focusing on the negative doesn't make anyone biased. The purpose of verification is to find the problems and see if they outweigh the benefits.  It's a negatively-oriented system.  Get over it and quit calling everyone biased (referencing your pm where you told me that all of your verifiers were biased).  RingRush's post sums up basically what everybody thinks of your run.  He's not attacking you, he's just telling you how it is.  Yes, you post with an attitude.  The general consensus is that your run looks sloppy and everybody thinks you can do better if you take a little longer to make recorded attempts.  You have the skill to beat the other run on every level.  Not just a few. That's what people want to see, not a run you settled on.
Banjo Kazooie
Quote from Flip:
Here's something you need to understand.  Focusing on the negative doesn't make anyone biased. The purpose of verification is to find the problems and see if they outweigh the benefits.  It's a negatively-oriented system.  Get over it and quit calling everyone biased (referencing your pm where you told me that all of your verifiers were biased).  RingRush's post sums up basically what everybody thinks of your run.  He's not attacking you, he's just telling you how it is.  Yes, you post with an attitude.  The general consensus is that your run looks sloppy and everybody thinks you can do better if you take a little longer to make recorded attempts.  You have the skill to beat the other run on every level.  Not just a few. That's what people want to see, not a run you settled on.

I said in the pm that I sent to you that the three verifiers that rejected the run were biased because they focused on my alternate route at the beginning of the game that wastes under a minute including mumbo tokens, and none of them said anything about the alternate route I took in RBB that saves over a minute. They did find problems, but they did not see if they outweighed the benefits at all. That is why I accused them of being biased. The same can be said for ringrush. If I'm using the word biased incorrectly please let me know. I do not think that ringrush's post sums up what everybody thinks of my run. If I type with an attitude please forgive me, I do not mean to sound bad at all and I'm actually in a great mood. I've been waiting for this to happen forever! XD

If anybody has ever taken offense from what I've ever said I'm sorry.
Planning a Cave Story
All I can say now is...................I really should play this game, been meaning to for a long time :/
Wiiaboo
It's not a matter of some route decisions "outweighing" others in terms of speed. You should be taking the fastest possible route. If you couldn't do the tower skip I guess that isn't your fault, but if you're that dedicated to this run, getting a different cart version should be the easiest commitment to make. We all look forward to seeing a great run from you with the best time you can get, not the better-than-pacattack time that you can get.
Edit history:
VorpalEdge: 2011-03-28 02:51:32 am
welcome to the machine
it's funny how people are telling jumpman to USE THE PERFECT ROUTE AT ALL COSTS when packattack got a pass for not using the window clip
Wiiaboo
Quote from VorpalEdge:
it's funny how people are telling jumpman to USE THE PERFECT ROUTE when packattack got a pass for not using the window clip

Maybe he shouldn't have. Also, that's much later in the run.