Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2011-03-26 11:56:55 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/BanjoKazooie.html

100% single-segment run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
A/V is okay but nothing great. Also, there is no cheating.
The first shortcut he does, he doesn’t get it on the first try which would have been an instant reset for me because it’s in the first 30 seconds of the game. I am talking about the  backflip, it would save like 2-3 seconds if he got it first try. Now to the biggest concern of this run in my eyes. The infamous Ticker Tower Skip in Mumbo’s Mountain. For those who don’t know; you normally have to climb this tower as an ant. Though, its relatively easy to do this as Banjo and It saves a nice amount of time(and 5 mumbo tokens). This trick is both possible on NTSC and PAL versions of the game so it definitely can be done.  The rest of the levels all go pretty smooth. He uses nice strats and tricks trough out the course of the game. Some very nice times set for certain levels due to faster routes compared to previous runs. Despite these fast times there are still a number of mistakes in this run.
So even this run Is faster than the previous run it doesn’t do it for me. It could still be faster.

Decision: REJECT

Quote:
Ugh...

A/V is good. Audio is a bit loud though... But not a big deal at all.

The runner talks about all of the noticeable mistakes in the run, and it would be stupid to point out all of the nit picky ones.

Overall the run is impressive, very impressive. But there are some things that just look awful in it. Missing the first jump that is but 10 seconds in the game really sets up viewers thinking this is gunna be a crappy run. The termite issue in Mumbo's Mountain looks good at first glance. Sure, the runner still got a faster stage time for that area... But what about the global time? Because the runner spent them 5 tokes, they have to alter the rout a bit and go out of the way to get them back to be on track by Click Clock Woods. Sure they only cost a few more seconds each, but it hurts the time in the end. But it still impressive how the runner dealt with the issue of not being able to do that climb. I like the innovation.

There was some times in the run, I really felt like the runner should have reset. I still feel as the runner could produce a batter end product. I really hope the runner does. The runner says they have spent a really really long time on this game, I don't see why they can't, at least, speed run the game casually while recording and end up with a better time. The runner has the skills for it, that is a sure thing.

In the end though, as much as I dislike some of the stuffs in the run, it is much faster. I will give this run an accept. The run is a good one, but again... I dislike the ugly...

Quote:
I’ll keep this short, since I’m way late on this one and I’m probably the one holding everyone up.

To start with, the capture has a few points of note. After getting the fourth jiggy in Click Clock Wood (around 2:14:30), there are some capture-related problems. The picture freezes in spots, but the music keeps playing. It freezes for a second or two and keeps going in the middle of it. I’m assuming it’s because he switched discs for recording, but nothing is really “missing”. The audio has weird problems at times too. In certain sections it’s like he’s recording the sound directly off his TV with a camcorder microphone, but without the buzz. That’s seriously the only way I can explain it. Nothing reject worthy, but I still had to note it.

As for gameplay, it’s Banjo-Kazooie. What I mean by that is that no one can seem to make this game look spotless. It’s a single segment speedrun that’s well over two and a half hours long, and there are many spots where things can and will go wrong. Between improved runs, there are parts where one runner gets screwed on the other runner improves, and the improved runner will get screwed on something else, making it tough to weigh the balance. For example, the last run I verified the runner had a good Twinkly game in Freezeezy Peak whereas this runner completely blows it. However, he managed to get the water level trick in front of Rusty Bucket Bay done correctly on the first try while the last runner screwed it up multiple times. The TNT boss in Rusty Bucket Bay doesn’t need to be attempted more than once, but Gruntilda’s fireballs totally destroy the fight’s speed. Mad Monster Mansion has a spot where the old player falls off a pipe and has to go all the way around a wall and back up a ramp. The runner of this one loses his running shoes when he grabs onto a pipe, forcing him to go back and try the church door challenge again. It goes on and on. The big difference in route changes is that he keeps his termite transformation after the first level because he couldn’t master the back-flip up the instant-slip slopes. Mastering that trick results in a faster level run though, so it must be done. This run isn’t as fast as it could be... but... it’s almost three minutes faster than the last run I verified.  I’d personally like to accept it... but... I think it’s already being rejected at this point. It’s a tough game, but I really want to see the best speedrun possible of it after all this time. It hurts to do this, but I’m going to reject it too.

Quote:
Decision: Reject

A/V quality good, no cheating.

The primary reason for this reject is not the execution. I was quite impressed, overall, though it could certainly still use work. Only counting the mistakes where they completely miss something and have to recover, there's already ~15 seconds lost in each world on average. Still, when the runner did make a mistake, they recovered from it in excellent fashion. In fact, there were one or two times where the runner missed a difficult note and actually impressed me with how well they pulled off the recovery. So, clearly a lot of work has gone into this, which does make it painful to reject, but I kind of have to, for this reason:

Quote from runner:
There is a technique to climb ticker's tower without changing into the termite. I have not been able to
master this technique so I just did it the old fashioned way.

My previous comments on this were made without knowing exactly how this compares to the no-termite route. In fact it is substantially slower, due to the mumbo tokens needed earlier than normal and the movement speed of the termite. In my opinion, the improvement over the existing run and the fairly decent execution do not make up for this route decision. If there is a more optimal route and it's not unreasonably difficult, it should be taken.

Decision: Reject

Reason: It's an improvement, but there's some important time-savers left out.

The question is should I now post Pac-attack's run?

As always, the run is available for a month. PM me for the link.
Thread title:  
packattack >_>

It already made it through verification and passed, so I don't see why it shouldn't be posted...
Edit history:
VorpalEdge: 2011-03-27 01:14:45 am
welcome to the machine
wait.  This run is faster than packattack's run.  But this run got rejected.  Meanwhile, a slower run... didn't.

before i write a post disagreeing with this decision, i would like to ask three questions.  one: how much time does the trick the run got rejected for save?  two: did packattack use it?  three: how does the rejected run save three minutes over packattack's run, especially without this trick?
Visit my profile to see my runs!
I'm calling my stock broker and telling him to buy some "Controversy, Ltd." before this thread has a chance to really get going.
If i recall correctly, the runner said that no matter how hard many times he tries, the first trick always fails for some reason for him, though I am unsure whether or not a short delay, or better positioning would fix that. He also posted some arguments about the tickers tower glitch and how it doesn't waste THAT much time due to the lack of a "jiggy get" animation while being a termite. I myself cannot make any judgements about said complaints due to the fact that I have beaten this game twice, and haven't had much experience with the speedrunning strategies for this game.
Edit history:
Heidrage: 2011-03-27 02:49:44 am
Willing to teach you the impossible
NOTE: This is just my opinion

Personally, I say don't post patattacks runs because it have been blown away by 3 min already. Professionally, I say that it has been accepted and should go threw as any other run that have been accepted.

I am sad though. Patattacks run was not verified by everyone on the verifier list it was sent to for one reason or another. This run was. I think because of that, patattacks run was accepted.

Now I rejected the last run. I wanted to reject this run, but I accepted it. I do agree the faster rout can be taken and should be, but still having the ability to reroute and still come out with a faster time is a great achievement. I do agree with this runs verdict though.

Tran - Sure, lets say you break even on the stage or come out a bit faster. But what about the 5 Mumbo Tokens you now need to go out of your way for to catch back up in the token count? That is where the time lost is. It has a global effect on the run.

I am not trying to take anything away from either runner, but if either of them were able to produce a cleaner run, I am sure either of them would have been accepted. Yes, I know this is a long game and there are bound to be many mistakes. But a few small mistakes are different than a few large mistakes which both runs had there fair share of large mistakes.
welcome to the machine
[04:39]  <RingRush> as for your question vorpal int he topic
[04:39]  <RingRush> the trick really doesn't save that much time...less than 30 seconds for sure, maybe less than 20
[04:39]  <vopeju> that's cute
[04:39]  <RingRush> and it is a tricky trick, I know from personally racing the game a lot
[04:52]  <vopeju> [04:39]  <RingRush> the trick really doesn't save that much time...less than 30 seconds for sure, maybe less than 20 <-- does this include the time taken out for extra mumbo tokens?
[04:53]  <vopeju> or fewer, i guess
[04:53]  <RingRush> well
[04:53]  <RingRush> havign termite skips 30 seconds of jiggy jigs
[04:53]  <RingRush> so it actually is barely slower at all in mumbos to use it
[04:54]  <RingRush> I think 30 seconds w/ mumbos tokens sounds about right, but you might want a second opinion
[04:54]  <RingRush> no way is it anything ludicrous like 2 minutes
[04:54]  <RingRush> less than 20, as I think about it, is unlikely
Edit history:
dballin: 2011-03-27 09:15:20 am
Balls jerky
I didn't verify this because it's been way too long since I played the game and I didn't own the cart at the time, but I did watch the youtube version. If I was forced to give an opinion on it, I'd probably accept it simply because it's faster than the posted run, but it would be the weakest accept I could give. Probably equivalent to TAS's meh vote. Yes it's fast, but it's also got some ugly execution mistakes, doesn't use all known time savers(which is an instant reject over there), and the capture was pretty bad. WMV with audio issues bad. I don't know how people said A/V was good unless nate worked some serious magic to fix it.
Edit history:
gia: 2011-03-27 11:46:06 am
gia: 2011-03-27 11:44:00 am
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Dont compare tases to speedruns, not using all known timesavers being instant rejection on a tas is a duh, but it doesn't have the same weight on a speedrun. As these timesavers have an associated difficulty, many of these tricks are dropped on speedruns, especially single segment runs, that's why there's some talk about how much time was lost due to it. I havelost similar time by dropping a trick on much shorter runs, but I dont know how the difficulty of the tricks compare so...
Edit history:
dballin: 2011-03-27 01:31:42 pm
dballin: 2011-03-27 01:30:18 pm
dballin: 2011-03-27 01:29:06 pm
Balls jerky
It's not all that hard and comes in the first 10 minutes of the run. He just chose not to do it. jumpman seems to have spent one weekend 5 days recording the run and kept all route planning a secret until the run was finished. Go read the BK planning thread. It's all there.

I could make a case for both accepting and rejecting the run. It's incredibly borderline as evident by the one verifier being swayed towards a reject vote by comments from the others. If SDA focuses mainly on speed records, this run, without a doubt, should go up. If SDA's focus is on the videos themselves (we're not a records site!) it becomes much more difficult to determine whether it should be posted with the obvious errors and incorrect capture method vs. the faster overall time.
Edit history:
Jumpman__: 2011-03-27 05:21:42 pm
Jumpman__: 2011-03-27 05:20:34 pm
Banjo Kazooie
Ok, I would have posted much sooner but I've been very busy. The first thing I want to point out is the complaint by the first verifier about my first mistake. I messed up on the backflip up to the first honeycomb piece on spiral mountain. I'm pretty sure I've already talked about this mistake but I'll say it again I guess. I have a little problem doing this trick consistently on the first try because it seems to just not make it up there 50% of the time. I restarted my run several times because of that mistake and I got tired of resetting my recording device and starting over the game. This generally takes somewhere between 2 and 5 minutes and I decided to keep going if I make it on the first or second try because the resetting process was destroying my gameplay rhythm. The verifier fails to realize that if you compare my spiral mountain final time with packattack's, mine is still the exact same due to the trick I did to get the honeycomb pieces on the tree and the tree stump. I know it may look "ugly" (which is a harsh word in my opinion) but I think I made up for it with those tricks.

And now my opinion on the main controversy over my run. Ticker's Tower is impossible for me to do. I have no idea what it is but no matter how many times I try it, I cannot seem to jump off of the first slanted platform. If I press "A" as fast as humanly possible I still can't even get a little hop to come out. The final verifier clearly states " If there is a more optimal route and it's not unreasonably difficult, it should be taken." The more optimal route in this case is climbing ticker's tower without turning into the termite. This saves him exactly 7 seconds on mumbo's mountain not including the mumbo tokens which i'll get to in a minute. This trick is unbelievably difficult and I do no understand why my run would be rejected because I change my route to a route that wastes less than 10 seconds!!! This is the funny part about the verifiers responses though. Two out of the three that rejected my run complain primarily about the Ticker's Tower fiasco. The third seems to have succumb to peer pressure and he states "I’d personally like to accept it... but... I think it’s already being rejected at this point. It’s a tough game, but I really want to see the best speedrun possible of it after all this time. It hurts to do this, but I’m going to reject it too." I do not know very much about the verifiers responsibilities and stuff but I truly was unaware of the fact that verifiers had access to other verifiers responses. Unless he knew somehow through his psychic abilities that my run was being rejected, I think that they pretty much decided together or something that they were all three going to reject it. This is just my personal thoughts about the verifiers though so it's not really relevant.

Alrighty then, here is my response to those three verifiers, clearly outrageous reasonings for rejecting my run. I'm fairly certain that 99.9999999% of all human beings in the world will not be able to climb ticker's tower without transforming into the termite so if they were to come to this site looking for a banjo kazooie speedrun that they could race against and use as a guide for speedrunning the game, mine would be the obvious choice. Every trick, and I mean EVERY trick that I do in my run is fairly simple. Putting them all together without error is the hard part though and the fun part in my opinion. The second reason that their argument isn't fair is that they all seem to make the first like 8 minutes out of the game their primary reason for rejecting the run. The game is roughly 2 and a half hours long, please look at all parts of the game when verifying runs. NONE OF THEM SEEM TO REALIZE THAT I DID THE GLITCH ON RUSTY BUCKET BAY TO GO THROUGH THE WINDOW WHICH SAVES 1 MINUTE AND 16 SECONDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS MORE THAN ENOUGH TO MAKE UP FOR THE FEW OTHER MUMBO TOKENS THAT I HAD TO ACQUIRE. I made this caps so everyone could see it. Also if you want to make the case that I didn't take the best possible route and my run should be rejected, then his run should be rejected because he didn't use the wall glitch. It's only fair right? I don't do a glitch that saves minimal time and my run gets rejected, he doesn't do a glitch that saves a lot of time and his run is actually praised for taking the "safe" way. THIS IS BS AND THERE IS NO OTHER WAY TO STATE IT.

Here is a full on comparison of all of our stages:

My overall game time: 2:33:22
Packattack's overall game time 2:36:01

My time is faster by 2 minutes and 39 seconds

My Spiral Mountain time: 2:14
Packattack's spiral mountain time: 2:14

Both are the exact SAME.

My Mumbo's Mountain time: 5:54
Packattack's Mumbo's Mountain time: 5:47

This is me doing it without climbing ticker's tower and talking to mumbo/transforming. Also note that a glitch happens later on in the game when I get on the sled at frezeezy peak, for some reason I go through the mumbo's token without getting it. I think I know the reason for the glitch now. In my opinion having to acquire more mumbo's tokens at all does not waste very much time because I added an extra mumbo's token into the run I submitted on the spot without a second thought and none of the verifiers seem to have noticed. I also get the jiggy without the dance animation outside of mumbo's mountain saving five seconds on my gruntilda's lair time, but I have to transform back so it probably doesn't save much time.

My Treasure Trove Cove time: 9:19
Packattack's TTC time: 9:21

I make one of my biggest mistakes here and I still beat his time by two seconds.

My Clanker's Cavern Time: 10:27
Packattack's CCT: 11:10

This stage is another prime example for the case that I'm trying to make. My routes are better, he did not take my routes why is my run rejected over a seven second route change when his isn't rejected over not doing a much less difficult route (in comparison to the ticker's tower route) that saves 43 seconds? I think I worded that incorrectly but you get what I'm trying to say.

My bubblegloop Swamp time:14:46
Packattack's bubblegloop swamp time: 14:28

My time is slower because of a couple minor mistakes. I try not to pause the game for memorization puzzles because I think that takes away from the run. This bites me in the but during the tiptup choir fiasco which only wastes roughly 10 seconds.

My frezeezy Peak time:15:09
Packattack's frezeezy peak time: 14:48

This stage is not really comparable by times due to the fact that I left frezeezy after I got the beak bomb. The time is made up in grundilda's lair.

My Gobi's Valley time: 12:54
Packattack's time: 13:19

My route and a few nifty new tricks like jumping on trunker with the talon trot shoes gives me the edge on this stage.

My Mad monster mansion time: 13:06
Packattack's MMM time: 12:59

If the verifiers were to have used this stage as a reason for rejecting my run I would have understood it more than the reasons they gave. That would be complete bs though becuase the two reasons my time is slower than packattack's on this stage are the glitch like accident that happened when I was running into the church that made my running shoes disappear and the fact that I was turned into a WASHING MACHINE!!!

My Rusty Bucket Bay Time:12:59
Packattack's RBB Times: 14:15

This stage and our routes seem to have slipped all of the verifiers minds when they were making there verdicts I suppose. I've already gone over this stage in a paragraph somewhere above so I'll leave it at that.

My Click Clock Wood Time: 24:02
Packattack's CCW Time: 23:21

This was one of my worst stages. Winter was to be precise. I did fine throughout but minor mistakes like getting on that darn house wasted quite a bit of time. I guess you could say that in the 41 seconds that I took longer than packattack I was getting those last few mumbo tokens and failing at winter.

My Gruntilda's lair time: 32:34
Packattack's GL time: 34:21

This one minute and 47 second advantage can be attributed to my battle with gruntilda being roughly 39 seconds faster than his (note I was being very careful during the second part because if a fireball hits you from the front you seem to fall forward and die ending the speedrun, this is extremely nerve racking). My going into stages like frezeezy in a different order than him saves time in gruntilda's lair.

After writing this whole thing I've convinced myself that my run should at least be given a second shot because I do not believe that the verifiers took enough time or put forth enough effort into their reasoning. I hope some other people agree with me and please note that I am not attacking the verifiers that rejected my run, I just do not agree with their decisions and opinions and I find them to be flawed. I am also extremely frustrated with people who keep posting stuff like "It's not all that hard and comes in the first 10 minutes of the run. He just chose not to do it. jumpman seems to have spent one weekend 5 days recording the run and kept all route planning a secret until the run was finished. Go read the BK planning thread. It's all there." Sorry dballin I'm not calling you out or anything but this is the reason that I will not be posting a thread about my future runs before I do them. And If I do it will be very businesslike with little to no behind the scenes detail. I'm sick and tired of people using what I said and turning it around on me as a reason that my run should be rejected it's bs. I SPENT MORE TIME ON THIS GAME THAN ANYBODY ON THIS ENTIRE PLANET, PLEASE STOP SAYING THAT I ONLY PUT LESS THAN A WEEK'S WORTH OF EFFORT INTO IT.

I don't know if there can be a revarify on my run or not but I believe that there should be. Sorry for the essay, its just that I took a lot of time to do this speedrun and I don't want it to go down in flames over the reasons that the verifiers posted.
Balls jerky
I didn't say you spent less than a week on the run. I said you seemed to have spent 5 days recording it. Do what you want though. I can't stop you from not posting what you're working on, but don't get angry if this happens again. GTA4 almost failed verification because the runner never posted anything on the forums and missed a whole bunch of timesavers that other people would have been glad to help with. He did the same thing you're doing and got very defensive when the whole thing could have been entirely avoided by posting WIPs and asking for help. I don't know exactly how many runs on the site were made better through collaboration in the forums, but it's got to be a majority of them.

Quote:
Sorry dballin I'm not calling you out or anything

Yes you are, but I forgive you.
Edit history:
Jumpman__: 2011-03-27 05:35:29 pm
Banjo Kazooie
I clearly asked for help with the ticker's tower trick and the help that I received did not help enough because I was still unable to do it. I didn't miss a whole bunch of timesaver's I actually added several that packattack did not do. And I didn't mean to point you out as the primary person behind the fact that several people have been saying stuff like "oh you didn't run the game very long sonny, go ahead and rerun it cause you have infinite time". I just made that one up but people have been posting stuff like that for a while. Sorry dballin. Cheesy
Edit history:
Axel Ryman: 2011-03-27 05:54:55 pm
We all scream for Eyes Cream
Seems like this one is going to start another debate. I get the feeling we'll have another GTA IV situation that goes reverification of the run.

Quote:
Reason: It's an improvement, but there's some important time-savers left out.

The question is should I now post Pac-attack's run?

If this run stays rejected, yes. If this run goes into reverification, wait till after the results of it. If rejected again, then yes, if accepted then...I want to say no but at the same time it can be posted just for something the viewers can watch.
The rules need to be changed a bit. For games which already have runs published, the job of the verifiers should only be to make sure the runner didn't cheat and video/audio quality is good. Final time should be the ONLY determining factor in how good the run actually is.
Quote from Nihilus:
The rules need to be changed a bit. For games which already have runs published, the job of the verifiers should only be to make sure the runner didn't cheat and video/audio quality is good. Final time should be the ONLY determining factor in how good the run actually is.

No it shouldn't. If there was a 20 minute time saver discovered, and someone submitted a 5 minute faster run, should that be accepted? Of course not.

(not saying that's what happened here)
Quote from Miles:
Quote from Nihilus:

No it shouldn't. If there was a 20 minute time saver discovered, and someone submitted a 5 minute faster run, should that be accepted? Of course not.

(not saying that's what happened here)

Yes, it should, on principal that it's faster. If it's sloppier play, and just 1 good trick, then whoever held the existing record is free to make a new run using that trick and win by 15 mins.
Edit history:
Paraxade: 2011-03-27 06:07:49 pm
Verifiers should verify a run based on gameplay/planning quality. Time alone isn't enough. If a trick is found that saves an hour and someone submits a run that uses this trick but only beats the existing time by one minute, then there's 59 minutes of mistakes - eg, the run is god awful and should not under any circumstances be accepted. We host speedruns, not records. :/
Quote from Paraxade:
Verifiers should verify a run based on gameplay/planning quality. Time alone isn't enough. If a trick is found that saves an hour and someone submits a run that uses this trick but only beats the existing time by one minute, then there's 59 minutes of mistakes - eg, the run is god awful and should not under any circumstances be accepted. We host speedruns, not records. :/

Verifying based on gameplay quality and not raw time has its advantages, but then it also has this situation, right now :/

Again, if that happened, anyone could immediately beat that run effortlessly. Since the goal is speed, then a low time and high quality gameplay are one in the same. Instances where this is not true are niche cases and not the standard, and can be dealt with case-by-case. This is not one of those instances.
Edit history:
dballin: 2011-03-27 06:15:01 pm
Balls jerky
OH FOR FUCKS SAKE dont get into this bullshit where everyone says outrageous things with increasingly large numbers as examples

Also, precedents and the SDA Constitution
I don't think the verification thread for BK is the best place to be discussing blanket verification logic. We're not a world record site, we're a site that hosts speedrun videos. Entertainment will always be a factor, nobody wants to see a sloppy run go on the site.
Banjo Kazooie
Quote from ShadowWraith:
I don't think the verification thread for BK is the best place to be discussing blanket verification logic. We're not a world record site, we're a site that hosts speedrun videos. Entertainment will always be a factor, nobody wants to see a sloppy run go on the site.

I don't understand how my run is "sloppier" than packattack's at all.
Balls jerky
If anybody has packattack's run they should send it to me. I want to compare.
Willing to teach you the impossible
Both runs are on YT.
Balls jerky
I know but thats a pain in the ass