1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/Zelda2.html

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (Any %) (Single Segment)

Verifier Responses

Quote:
A/V: Seems like your typical composite quality, but what are you going to do?  It's an NES.  Maybe some dropped frames here and there but nothing big.

Timing: I have the time on the StatID as correct.

Routing: Misses low% for deathless by the Palace 6 heart (which also seems to serve as an encounter skip, so forgivable) by getting Life, but since nobody's yet to do a deathless, Life-less, Spell-less run, that's not a knock either.

Fights very well, levels correctly, minimizes encounters well. Doesn't die or up-A, as the category requires.

Heh, watching this, the two fairies on the way to and early in Valley of Death remind me I was watching the live stream of this run.

This is a legitimate 6 minute improvement on Arctic's great, Life-less SDA run.  This is a category that since then has changed hands a bunch of times between 3 runners since that SDA run.  The runner has the current record with this run, and has earned it. This is the Zelda 2 category with the highest skill cap, run at the highest level.  Accept

Quote:
A/V good for an NES game, no cheating detected. A very, very well executed run, with some very clutch moments, and no deaths. The time in the StatID is correct, and a big improvement to the current SDA run. Accept!

Quote:
A/V: Quality is good for a NES game.

Timing: Yeah, it is right.

This run is one of the best I have ever seen. Playing a game like Zelda 2 without candle and dying is pretty bad-ass but doing it with this amount of skill and speed is insane! SDA only accept a no death run on this category, it has been the tradition from back in the day when BreakDown had the SDA run.

This is a 6 minute improvement over the current SDA run but this run has better execution, in everything! I remember when some people thought going lifeless would actually be faster, boy did you prove them wrong. This is teh urn.

Accept!

Quote:
I don't notice any problems with the A/V.

I appreciate that even very small time savers are paid attention to in this run, such as using doors on tiles where Link will respawn further in the next direction he needs to go, tending to strike enemies where possible on the way up in stead of the way down to help retain speed, striking the walls on elevators to move forward, not visiting the magic subscreen too many times &c.

Extra steps are taken on the overworld to avoid some step-based encounter spawns. Plus a bit of good luck here and there in that regard just for good measure. (And a little bit of bad luck to balance it all out of course). Overall overworld play is clearly solid.

EXP and MP management are at a very high level throughout the run. The plan for level 4 in particular stands out as very creative and likely to ruin attempts. I don't think I'd have the gumption to do that if I were the runner.

A couple of small mistakes kind of stick out here and there mostly because of how great the run is overall-- but you can't really fault the runner over the course of such a long and difficult run. Actually a lot of risky strategies are used in the name of speed here, making this even more impressive.

The VoD and Great Palace are, I think the scientific term is "Balling". Going for that red jar right at the end has to be the scariest thing. It sure doesn't feel like a 1/2 chance to drop when you really need it.

Attention to detail is very high, Accept! :0

Quote:
A/V: Few instances of video issues like the ones here. Nothing to be reject worthy as they are hardly noticable and few and far between each. They do occur over the course of the video though.

Aside from that, formalities.

Quote:
Flipious,
  Zelda II is technically sound.  The runner only cheats death.  <- Bad joke.

There are some close calls, very tight execution.  I've been off the Zelda II wagon for a bit.  So this run was a great watch.  The attention to detail and route are impressive.  ACCEPT is a formality as it has been stated above.

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to John 'Pro_JN' Nurminen!
HELLO!
Woohoo.

Now to get the rest of that Zelda 2 page updated. Smiley
Is PJ
Quote from presjpolk:
Woohoo.

Now to get the rest of that Zelda 2 page updated. Smiley

He still has to improve all those categories.  Give him 6 hours.  Tongue
HELLO!
It's going to be hilarious if and when he decides to take a day and "update" the PAL records.  Oh the time to be saved.
Smörgåsbord
Congrats dude!
Personal text
Good job!
Smörgåsbord
HAHAHA, Pro_JN beat this WR with one minute and eleven seconds. His time is now 1:00:10, if I know him right, next goal is sub one hour.
HELLO!
Carrock robbed him of that sub-hour if that's the run I'm thinking of.
I saw the 1:00:10 live yesterday, really remarkable. I was also shocked by the quality of players in the twitch chat at the time. I asked for some pointers, and had the owners of half the top ten fastest times on record chime in to help me out, including JN while he casually shattered his own WR.

The close knit community around this game has me considering streaming my attempts to start speedrunning it myself.

Congrats again to JN.
Smörgåsbord
Quote from tapionminoshi:
I saw the 1:00:10 live yesterday, really remarkable. I was also shocked by the quality of players in the twitch chat at the time. I asked for some pointers, and had the owners of half the top ten fastest times on record chime in to help me out, including JN while he casually shattered his own WR.

The close knit community around this game has me considering streaming my attempts to start speedrunning it myself.

Congrats again to JN.

Thank you very much, we have a great bunch of guys and if you are interested in speedrunning Zelda 2 you can just go to anyone of our streams and ask questions or join #zelda2 on sda irc. We are all helpful and humble. We take pride in that.

Also, JN got a new wr: 1:00:02, soon he will get that sub hour!!