page  <- 123456789101112131415 -> <- 1 .. 8 .. 15 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
difficult and stupidly random
Quote from inzult:
That said, I don't see why you couldn't run around with scroll glitch active to get all the key items, then use up&a and run around to collect all the spells, then go to Darunia and use fairy.

For that you'd have to get the Raft, right?  Once you've deactivated scroll-lock to grab spells, the Raft is the only way to East Hyrule (aside from healer glitching again).  You'd want to get the Raft while scroll-lock is still active, or else it would take forever.  Is there some way to reach Palace 3 with scroll-lock activate and without Fairy?
Damn, I'm just not thinking fourth dimensionally! You'd need fairy for that, yeah.
Shoot i was really hoping there was some way to use the scroll glitch to exit rightward in the passage from graveyard to island.  Or maybe some direct way to warp into Palace 3.
Couldn't you just do the normal route through Death Mountain to get the hammer, Up+A,  and then do the Healer Glitch after you get Fairy? Granted, that's putting it late into the run and not the beginning, but you'd only need to do it once.
True, but playing through death mountain and the preceeding town, goriya cave, visiting bagu, etc, takes a long time.  You could probably get in 30-40 attempts at the healer glitch in that amount of time.  So that makes the just-1-healer-glitch idea not worthwhile.  If I could find some alternative that's equivalent to, say, 5-10 attempts then it starts to become viable.

How do you find out what connects up to what, other than trial and error?  Has anyone tried to map this out or document it?  Or could knowing how the map data is organized give some clue what kinds of wrong-warps are available?  (Sort of like exploration glitch in ALTTP)
When you use the partially-scrolled left exit, you're typically sent to whatever's mapped to the usual down exit. So it's somewhat predictable. But, IIRC, all exits in the Magic container room where you warp to east hyrule point to the same place. So there's something else going on with regards to how the game decides to put you back on the overworld. I'm not sure exactly what. I did a lot of testing of what connects to what in 2007 or something, but never mapped it out.
HELLO!
Non glitch question! Smiley

At the veeery start of the non-glitched routing, after you get Jump and go down to the cave and fight the two screens of Goriyas, what exactly are you pressing to attack them?  When I try to attack them, what I find is that when I hit them, that causes some distance to open up between me and the Goriya. That lets him throw more boomerangs, and it all goes south.  Especially my first attack, it seems like a big gap opens up after I hit him, so that I have to land and move forward before I can hit him again.  That puts me totally at the mercy of his boomerangs.

But at 3:04 and 3:22 of Arctic_Eagle's 1:07:43 run (the one published on SDA was the easiest for me to pull out and reference this second), he stays close enough that he can attack continuously.  What is being done there, button-wise?  This seems like it's a pretty important attack technique, being able to control distance, staying close enough to stun lock or at least get in so many hits between attacks that they can't do much to you.
There's two things happening:  He's doing a jumping-crouch-slash, so Link has a bit of forward momentum during the strike (much more momentum than the alternative method, which is to run up and do a crouch-slash (without jumping)).  And he's also getting extremely close to the goriya before swinging the sword; maybe just a pixel or two short of running into the goriya.

I believe the input is exactly what it looks like:  run in there, jump, hold down+right, press B before Link hits the ground.

One thing to consider is that you may be hitting B too early, while Link is still on the upward part of his jump arc.  So try waiting until Link hits his head on the ceiling to slash, or maybe shortly thereafter when he starts to come back down.
That's correct feasel. Btw my live streaming attempt without the life spell that got "cut off" just before the 6th palace by my internet connection last night (DNS server not responding for hours) ended with one death in the Great Palace and a 1:06.29.
Willing to teach you the impossible
Quote from Arctic_Eagle:
That's correct feasel. Btw my live streaming attempt without the life spell that got "cut off" just before the 6th palace by my internet connection last night (DNS server not responding for hours) ended with one death in the Great Palace and a 1:06.29.

Oh ya? I got a 100% done last night in 2:11:xx with 3 game overs!!! OWNED!!! No really though, my last completed run was +3 hours with 6 game overs.

Also, shout outs to feasel, solarflair, and MrDCook for helping me learn and get better. Once I start getting 1cc runs, I will start using the fairy to pass threw doors.
Smörgåsbord
Hehe, you should be on the 100% Extreme Rules races then, where we don't use fairy through doors! Wink Seems like smoething you could do now, and any%! Cheesy
Quote from Heidrage:
Quote from Arctic_Eagle:

Oh ya? I got a 100% done last night in 2:11:xx with 3 game overs!!! OWNED!!! No really though, my last completed run was +3 hours with 6 game overs.

Also, shout outs to feasel, solarflair, and MrDCook for helping me learn and get better. Once I start getting 1cc runs, I will start using the fairy to pass threw doors.

The mind games are on man, they're on!!! Wink
HELLO!
Jump THEN crouch THEN stab. Yes. Thanks so much.  I'm finding it hard to get that rhythm going, since it's so many moving parts.  It's easy to do it but not move forward, or do it but not crouch, or crouch too soon, but in stream just now I got it going a few times.  I haven't felt this excited since I got the screen scroll working in LoZ.

Much respect to the guys who make this look easy.
Quote from Arctic_Eagle:

What is your stream page?
Smörgåsbord
There is still time if you want to join the races.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Av9cBVhuvxNLdG9JVGtPc1c4UTJrcmh6NFdhcUZqbGc#gid=0
Quote from Heidrage:
What is your stream page?

It's arctic7, (they wouldn't give me arctic eagle, arctic, arctic1, arctic2 etc. or even artic), at twitch tv. I've just recently started streaming, and my stream for the Ninja Gaiden races yesterday was really choppy. Hope to tweak some settings and get it better in the future. My Zelda II stream on the 3rd of October wasn't that laggy though.
Sorry about double post, but this needs an additional post. I know that the no deaths, no warps sda Zelda II record time of 1:07.43 might seem an easy prey for pro players, and I concur. And finally, last night, after a long and intense session of Zelda II and after turning off the live stream I experienced the rare sensation of... SUCCESS!!! Yeah, 1:05.14, chew on that one. Some minor issues in the 2nd and 3rd palace, but overall quite good, (I thought it was pretty awesome from 5th palace and on, that magic potion drop on 1st attempt in the 6th palace is soooo important). I'm sorry about not streaming it, but I'm pretty sure I would have botched somewhere in the great palace if streaming (like that final attack attempt from Dark Link).

And don't worry tmont, I put in a little something for you at 1:03.18 in the video Wink (I was desperate for a blue magic potion drop after that giant skull depleted my magic). I even did a wrong turn in the 4th palace this time.

Speedrunner
YES! Very nice Arctic!!!
HELLO!
Life skip so pro.
YT wont play after the 29 minute mark, any chance you can give us a DL link?
Plays fine for me Heidrage. Perhaps you should change web browser. I'm using internet explorer and google chrome, but strangely, sometimes I can't read your posts (and a few others posts) at sda when in google chrome (preferred for general web browsing), so I have to log out, leave google chrome, start internet explorer and go to sda and log in from there.

Sorry, but I'm not in the mood for signing up for some direct link file transfer uploading atm (I have dropbox, but that's it, don't know how to use it for direct link though). Youtube video should work fine sooner or later.
Smörgåsbord
JESUS! Cheesy This is so freaking awesome!
F*ckin' sanity effects...
Holyyyyy daaaaaaang!  The incredible cave stuff all at the beginning, several near death experiences.  A last-second attempt by Dark Link to end it.  I think this really might be my favorite run ever.  Thank you and congratulations!
Wow, thanks! That last-second attempt by Dark Link was pretty sneaky, yeah. The final attack on Thunderbird could also easily have ended in failure, and to and from the 4th palace to Darunia was pretty nerve wrecking too. I got this run rather "cheaply" though, since it was actually the first time I survived through this category without the life spell and without deaths.
Oh My God that is so awesome U are the best Zelda 2 player ever
Great Work this game deserves it
Mega Kewl