List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet.

Xenoblade Chronicles (Any %) (Single Segment) [New Game+]

Verifier Responses

Quote:
umm... I have a concern regarding the video. Hopefully it's not just me but about 2 hours into the video nothing will load past the part where Fiora re-joins the party and gets equipped with a gem. I even tried refreshing and getting back to where I was in the video, and it stopped at the exact same part.

Edit: Nevermind, re-downloaded and it's fine now Wink

Comments:

Audio and video quality are great all the way through. Everything carried over to the new game+ was well organized, the equipment carried over allows for the fastest possible run-through of the game. I loved the fact that whenever the runner was on a ramp they would jump to get a slight speed boost and jump at the very end to conserve momentum. Good going! No major mistakes. A few minor mistakes were made getting stuck behind a few obstacles and missing the back stabs on a couple fights. Also, the runner accidentally picked up a side quest collectable (wasted a whole 5 seconds). Still, the mistakes are pretty negligible with the length of the run. Overall, fantastic fights and the runner clearly knew where to go at every point in the run. In other words, the runner wasn't always following where the arrow at the top of the screen points, but took the quickest route instead to every destination. It's sad to see all these great cut-scenes skipped :(, but a run is a run.

However, there is one thing that confused me a bit. 00:06:05 in the run, the runner gets Fiora who is only level 57? The fact that the max level is 99 and Fiora is level 57 is NOT the problem. Fiora wasn't used in any fights at this level and to be honest I'm still not sure why this Fiora was ever level 57 in the first place. What is the problem is that this Fiora has 676681exp. After Fiora leaves the party and than later re-joins at 02:15:20 I noticed something very odd. Suddenly Fiora is now level 99 with 45081251 exp??? This was the only thing in the run I noticed to be inconsistent, nothing else even for a second made me think the runner cheated. I remember when I played through the game Fiora leveled up with around the same amount of exp as my other party members after she re-joined. Perhaps that explains it and since I have nothing to verify that Fiora wasn't supposed to be a higher level when she re-joins the party, I have to assume the runner didn't cheat unless somebody else can verify this isn't supposed to happen. Still, I'm confused why there was a huge gap in exp with Fiora compared to the rest of the party. I mean each party member recieves exp regardless of being in battle or not.

The verdict: I definitely Accept this run (unless the thing with Fiora is verified with somebody else as cheating).

In game time is 3:40:00, only measures to the nearest minute, but considering how a run like this doesn't have much room for improvement unless a crazy skip is found I think in game time is acceptable to use.

Quote:
^^^ you should try redownloading it. My download was interrupted twice before I got the full file.

my comments:

Doesn't get fiora to level 99. auto-reject.

But seriously, A/V is great.  The route is solid. As for the execution, there's no major mistakes. There's a bunch of small things, like taking corners wide and some sloppy menu navigation, but nothing that wastes any significant amount of time. This category is very simple, and the runner executes the route competently. No real room for improvement. Accept.

As for the timing, the run is NG+, so there's a time for the file that was loaded, as well as a time for the completed file. To get the actual time of the run, you'd have to subtract the two. Since the timer doesn't have seconds, any final time calculated like this has a two minute error, instead of just one minute. Would this be acceptable? If real time is used instead, it would be around 3:39:59 (gaining control at 1:24 to losing control at 3:41:23). Game time is 3:40.

Quote:
Audio/Video is great throughout the run. Route is also very solid, runner's very good at knowing where enemies spawn during battles. Menus were a bit slow at times, but not everything can be perfect in a long run. It's always entertaining to see someone blow through an NG+ file all overpowered.

In game time would be 3:40 when timing from the starting file's save time to the ending save's time.

Accept.

Quote:
Right, sorry this took me a while.

A/V is excellent, this game has beautiful visuals and soundtrack and even the verification copy gets that across, this is an HD download for sure.

This is an incredibly well planned run, the route and techniques are optimised to a high level. The only thing I would mention is that the minutai of the running route could possibly be improved, with regards to higher falls and the odd fact that the runner seems to be actively avoiding collectables. I would guess that the reason for this is so that it has a lesser chance of triggering an item vision cue but iirc they only become available after a point (Bionis leg?) and the runner still avoids collectables before this. Although NG+ might have that from the start in which case it's justified. This is hardly a complaint though as it probably adds up to well under a minute over the course of the run.

Basically this is well planned, well executed and an interesting run on a technical level, particularly for a JRPG. It's not necessarily as 'active' as many RPG speedruns on first glance but the details actually make it quite intricate. Also the sheer amount of work put in creating the file beforehand has to be commended.

A solid Accept from what I believe is the best JRPG in modern years, possibly ever. Great work.

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Nicholas 'Sir VG' Hoppe!
Thread title:  
Edit history:
Sir VG: 2013-01-26 05:23:49 pm
Sir VG: 2013-01-26 05:22:28 pm
Fucking Weeaboo
Another victory for America.

Quote:
However, there is one thing that confused me a bit. 00:06:05 in the run, the runner gets Fiora who is only level 57? The fact that the max level is 99 and Fiora is level 57 is NOT the problem. Fiora wasn't used in any fights at this level and to be honest I'm still not sure why this Fiora was ever level 57 in the first place. What is the problem is that this Fiora has 676681exp. After Fiora leaves the party and than later re-joins at 02:15:20 I noticed something very odd. Suddenly Fiora is now level 99 with 45081251 exp??? This was the only thing in the run I noticed to be inconsistent, nothing else even for a second made me think the runner cheated. I remember when I played through the game Fiora leveled up with around the same amount of exp as my other party members after she re-joined. Perhaps that explains it and since I have nothing to verify that Fiora wasn't supposed to be a higher level when she re-joins the party, I have to assume the runner didn't cheat unless somebody else can verify this isn't supposed to happen. Still, I'm confused why there was a huge gap in exp with Fiora compared to the rest of the party. I mean each party member recieves exp regardless of being in battle or not..

Human Fiora and Mechon Fiora are considered 2 different characters, much like Dark Knight and Paladin Cecil in FF4. That's why the different levels. As for why Human Fiora is only 57 is because well, there's no point in jacking her up to 99. 1. It would take forever. 2. She's only involved in 1 fight. 3. That fight lasts for 2 seconds until Shulk stream edges their asses. So there's no point. As for why she doesn't get EXP from other fights is well...SHE'S DEAD. Dead people don't level up. Tongue

Hockey enthusiast
Really looking forward to watching a gun of GOTY 2010/11/12!

Congratz!
Gimme some sugar Shaggy!
I know this is 3 months late but a suggestion to improve the run. Riki actually runs slightly faster than the rest of the characters and could save time if he was the party leader as soon as you get him.