Smiley
Sad
1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
The Japanese version of WarioWare: Mega Microgames, simply named Made in Wario, should be a separate category from the other versions (USA and Europe). Japanese has a handful of target scores that are different to the other versions, not to mention the fact that it's in Japanese. Plus, there's a price difference in cartridges. English cartridges are significantly more expensive than Japanese ones due to the game's success in Japan compared to everywhere else. And European cartridges are extreme. Japanese is a different enough language to make the challenge level higher due to being more complicated and the fact that fewer people know it. If Japanese turns out to be slower, it won't put poorer or less English fluent players at a disadvantage.
Thread title:  
For those not fluent in Japanese, there are mainly two microgames/minigames that are a trouble: Praise or Haze and Dungeon Dilemma. I will provide guides for these whenever I can, but I can tell you how you can memorize them: use the camera or notes on your phone to memorize which answers are correct and which words are compliments or insults. Just about all other microgames are doable no matter what language you know.
Language versions are always separated anyway, on SDA at least, it's just that there's a gravity pulling most towards the fastest version regardless.

Well, perhaps cross-obsoletions can be considered in some cases but not as much if, as you say, there are clear gameplay differences.

Good luck with planning the run!
Here are guides on Praise or Haze and Dungeon Dilemma that might help. The Dungeon Dilemma one isn't as extensive, but the Praise or Haze one is, as even when you are wrong, it will highlight the correct answer. As long as you memorize which word starts with which letter and how long it is and wether or not it's the correct answer between the two, process of elimination should take care of the rest. Dungeon Dilemma doesn't have as many answers and doesn't require as many points, but memorization will help regardless. And they are also translatable between this game and Mega Party Games (aka Atsumare Made in Wario).

It's good that someone's eager to see the run. It will be a fun run that I will actually have a purpose to do (unlike English 100% anymore) so I would like to do it as soon as I can. Realistically, it won't be for quite a while. I do not have as much free time as most speedrunners. Plus I would have to own a Game Boy Player to do it, which is expensive.
These two strategies I have discovered are transferrable between any version of the game. US, PAL, and Japanese.

First off, the Wario 1 skip strategy where you unlock the remaining 3 microgames in Wario 1 through other characters (Dribble, Kat, and Wario 2)

Second, the luck manipulation strategy where doing one microgame (or more) before doing high score attempts tends to unlock microgames faster.

The thing that makes Japanese slower for 100% is the point differences in some of the microgames. Some microgames require less points, others require more, and some of the ones that require more are in Orbulon, which has the longest microgames. The actual number is very small, but it does make a difference. In speedrunning, every second counts.
Just finished a run of 100% Japanese. Now, the English WR is still the English WR... but wow, I'm surprised that this run of a suboptimal version beats it. This run nearly misses sub 9:15 by a couple minutes and just plows through the microgames like a machine. Mistakes are few and far between. This is confirmation that the NTSC-U version can go sub 9. I would like to try out the PAL version (and I hear there's a Chinese one as well, but we'll have to see about that). PAL is also suboptimal, but at least it can be played in English (and I doubt language differences affect the game that much).