--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/WarioLand4.html

Wario Land 4 (Any %) (Single Segment)

Verifier Responses

Quote from RedArremer:
Overall a good run, with some mistakes. There's a few time savers (cleaner fights against Golden Diva and Aerodent, in particular), but in a 45 minute run, it seems like it's negligible.

Quote:
A/V is good enough. This run is faster than the currently posted run and should therefore be Accepted.

I gotta say, though, it's not the prettiest run. Many levels have obvious movement imperfections, which can be forgiven with how tight this game's execution can get, but it does add up over time. Major scars, though, are the completely botched Aerodent and Diva fights, which by themselves cost over half a minute, and the only half successful Arabian Nights zip. I assume the runner chose to accept these flaws because of the clean execution of the other zips, and he does make those look easy, despite the frame-perfect input requirements and all. It's a shame it couldn't be better.

I haven't seen the new WR, but if it's much cleaner than this run, I hope it'll be submitted eventually.

Quote from jatenk:
Gameplay is decent, though not perfect. Small mistakes in general movement.
Main problem though is you can do more zips which all save a more or less amount of time. They're really inconsistent which is why the runner did as few as possible of those, but there are other single segment runners who do more, even if they have to be done first try in order to save any time at all.
The zips the runner did went unlikely good measured at the inconsistency.
Few days after this run was made, becored reclaimed the world record w/ 47:33. More zips, less good zips, far better gameplay, some bigger mistakes.
This run is imo just barely good enough for SDA, so I accept it, but I'd like to see becored's run submitted in order to replace this ASAP.

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Mike 'mike89' McKenzie!
Thread title:  
Edit history:
kirbymastah: 2014-03-26 10:20:21 am
kirbymastah: 2014-03-26 10:19:44 am
kirbymastah: 2014-03-26 10:19:34 am
<(^_^)>
Congratz mike!

Just a quick comment on a verifier response:

Quote from jatenk:
This run is imo just barely good enough for SDA, so I accept it, but I'd like to see becored's run submitted in order to replace this ASAP.

IIRC becored runs this game on emulator so he wouldn't be able to submit it to SDA anyways (and it's about 20 seconds faster i think? Not ridiculously significant, based off of the time).

Also, this run and my fusion any% run need to be in the same SDA update since fusion is based off of WL4's engine Wink
We just need a god run with all the zips and good bossfights to save like 2 minutes.
SEGA Junkie
Thanks everyone!

Yeah, I'm not happy with the boss fights either, but when I watched it back I realised just how good my zips were in this run. I think there's eight total and all but one of them I hit in the first two attempts. For the uninitiated, activating a zip is double frame-perfect: pressing down the frame before hitting the ceiling, and then pausing the frame after that. On average hitting any one of these tends to take me about 4 tries, and sometimes significantly more. Taking an extra attempt at a zip costs 2-3 seconds each time (most of which is the pause screen). In other words, I expect to lose more time from that than I would get back from good boss fights.

And yeah, becored's run is only 22 seconds faster than mine - and sadly, he does play on emulator. Annoyingly, so does everyone else running the game now! He's now moved on to Hard and I will eventually too, but I'm not really in a position to be gaming much at all right now.
<(^_^)>
Quote from mike89:
Thanks everyone!I'm not really in a position to be gaming much at all right now.

Sad
Make it so.
Quote from kirbymastah:
Quote from mike89:
Thanks everyone!I'm not really in a position to be gaming much at all right now.

Sad