Sad
1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Magical. Flying. Bathtub
A couple of people have asked this and as it looks like there's going to be far more people coming from the UK this time around and many of you won't have traveled to a marathon before.  With this in mind, I thought I'd copy/paste some general info on getting there that Ozzy posted last year and also start a thread so those going from the UK at the same time have the opportunity to coordinate flights and stuff so you don't have to go it alone Smiley

So post here if you're flying from the UK and you either have a flight or if you want to join the same flight as other marathon runners - that way people who are getting the same flights will be able to meet up beforehand.

I haven't booked flights yet but I'll be flying out from London (probably Heathrow) and aiming to stay there the entire time, so happy to meet up with anybody who's looking to do that.

Quote:
Travel information:

Flying to Sweden:

If you are planning to fly to Sweden, there are 4 major cities and 6 airports in close proximity to these cities. The cities are Stockholm (Arlanda / Bromma airport), Gothenburg (Landvetter / City Airport), Malmoe (Sturup) and Copenhagen (Kastrup). From selected destinations you might also be able to fly to Växjö (Småland Airport), Jönköping (Axamo Airport) and Linköping (Linköping Airport). And when I say selected destinations I mean like 1-2 (Amsterdam + Copenhagen to Linköping for example).

You might search for cheap tickets at this website. http://www.skyscanner.com

If you can find a flight with Norwegian, Fly Småland, Skyways, City Airlines, Malmö Aviation. That’s good! They are all great airliners with good services (and hopefully good prices…) You should beware of Ryanair, their prices might be lucrative and they are what they are because their flights sometimes land in the middle of nowhere with really bad further connections.

The airports you want to aim for are Arlanda and Kastrup. (City Airport maybe?) Why is that?
It’s because you can board a train without riding the bus to the train station! This is the easiest way to get to the marathon. The train station in Skövde is like 500 meters from the marathon streaming location and less then 100 meters away from the sleeping/casual area.

Landvetter, Sturup and Bromma are all located a few miles outside the city and the connections to the train stations are not as simple. There are “Flightbusses” which will take you to the closes train station, but these tickets have to be bought separate. Not expensive at all, just something to think about if you are really lazy.

When in Sweden. How do I get to Skövde!?

There are two alternatives.

(1) You go by train

Tickets are bought online at this website. http://www.sj.se You can pre-order your ticket today but it's recommended that you hold on until 90 days before the marathon. The tickets are cheaper at this point. It's not the best idea to buy a train ticket at the station. First of all it's unreliable and will also cost more then if you pre-order it.

(2) You go by bus.

There are two ways to check for tickets.
Though [url]www.swebuss.se[/url] or through the region/municipality where you will depart from.
Skånetrafiken (Malmoe region) http://www.skanetrafiken.se
Stockholms länstrafik (Stockholm region) http://www.sl.se
Västtrafik (Gothenburg region) http://www.vasttrafik.se
Thread title:  
Hockey enthusiast
Love it that parts I wrote for ESA2012 still lives on through these travel threads Smiley
Thanks for the info on the trains, I did check prices and thought they were quite steep but it's good to know  you can get them cheaper. Any idea on how much they come down by if you book them at the opportune time?
Edit history:
RoboSparkle: 2014-04-19 07:13:51 am
Magical. Flying. Bathtub
Quote from Edenal:
Love it that parts I wrote for ESA2012 still lives on through these travel threads Smiley

Don't fix what ain't broke Tongue

Quote from MEvRNG:
Thanks for the info on the trains, I did check prices and thought they were quite steep but it's good to know  you can get them cheaper. Any idea on how much they come down by if you book them at the opportune time?

I think if you book trains too far in advance they are more expensive than if you book them 90-30 days in advance, but I'd have to defer to a Swede to answer the question on exactly what the difference is.
Caution: This user contains Kana ^_^
Quote from MEvRNG:

If you chose to travel with regional trains, then the price should not change from early to later booking, if I am informed correctly. You might be able to get cheaper travel deals with long-distance trains, though. I'm unsure if the Swedish booking system will actually let you book tickets more than 90 days in advance. You shouldn't however, because any discounts will not count until 90 days ahead of travel. (Remember the return trip and the 90 days for that one, too).

With that in mind, I remember wanting to open a travel thread yesterday™ ^^'
Anyone coming from Scotland who doesn't wanna go down to London and needs travel advice can PM me or catch me on the srl irc, i'd be happy to help.
Thanks for making this thread! I will most likely be departing from gatwick, and it would be great to meet people there.
Quote from Alko:
Quote from MEvRNG:

If you chose to travel with regional trains, then the price should not change from early to later booking, if I am informed correctly. You might be able to get cheaper travel deals with long-distance trains, though. I'm unsure if the Swedish booking system will actually let you book tickets more than 90 days in advance. You shouldn't however, because any discounts will not count until 90 days ahead of travel. (Remember the return trip and the 90 days for that one, too).

With that in mind, I remember wanting to open a travel thread yesterday™ ^^'

Yes there usually is a difference, once I was going to book a train and the price shifted just from the stupid 2-3 days that I waited.
Usually the closer into when it is it might be a price shift so at least maybe a week before going or something like that.
Remember it's not always the case but it can happen. And especially on the summer when people have their vacation.
twitch.tv/OC1_
If booking traintickets on sj.se, type in the discount code "LSU2014" that will give you up to half the price on a lot of departures. Just a pro tip.
Edit history:
DizzyPrime: 2014-04-21 02:09:08 pm
So me and Cereth booked our flights over from Stansted Sat 26 Jul 2014 6:55AM. Landing 09:50hrs at Gothenburg (City) So anyone else looking to book a similar time to some others can book something similar if they wish
Edit history:
YuKitty: 2014-04-21 03:26:53 pm
Joshimuz and I will be travelling with Zoton and Tirean. Current plan is to travel from Gatwick to Arlanda. Most likely on Friday 25th if I can get this day booked off at work, if I can't then it'll be Saturday 26th. Coming back probably on Wednesday 6th since they all want to stay for the full event. It looks like they might both be coming down to us the day before we leave for Sweden so that we can travel together. The reason for this is because they would both be travelling for 4-6 hours (longer if there are any issues with trains or traffic) from where they live to Gatwick, so I think they both prefer the idea of coming down to us, relaxing the night, then leaving together instead of travelling for hours in one day and the added stress of finding each other at the airport etc.
Anyone else who would like to join us are welcome to meet us at the airport or come to our flat to stay the night also.
You can never run enough games
I'm looking at flying out of Gatwick to Arlanda on Friday 25th, specifically looking at the 13:10->16:30 Norwegian flight. Anyone else looking at the same kind of time, or even the same flight?
MLSTRM - That's pretty much what we're looking at I think. We plan to go from Gatwick to Arlanda at least. Either Friday 25th or Saturday 26th depending on if I can get Friday off at work or not.
Edit history:
JustShanz: 2014-04-23 04:41:24 am
JustShanz: 2014-04-23 04:39:01 am
JustShanz: 2014-04-23 04:38:47 am
JustShanz: 2014-04-23 04:38:28 am
FrankerZ
Tdawg91 and I are traveling from Dublin on the 25th and we are leaving on the 6th. We are also flying to Arlanda. Our flights land a little earlier than yours though (we already booked them)

Dublin  (DUB) 07:20
Stockholm/Arlanda (ARN) 11:05

Since we can't see train times/prices yet it might be worth meeting up if it works out cheaper or whatever

As for going back our flight on the 6th is

Stockholm/Arlanda (ARN) 11:45
Dublin (DUB) 13:30

Same again with train times + dunno what time of your flights and blah blah blah Smiley

Also if anyone is coming from Dublin that I don't know about you are welcome to contact me and we can travel together if you want (No point in making a new thread)
Murder on the Pawrient Express
Sparkle I'm flying out from Heathrow on the Friday (25th) and getting to Goethenburg for around 10:35 AM, and then Shrimp, I and whoever else are all just going to go there together, so if you want to come along, that'd be pretty cool.

It's flight 790 if that helps.
You can never run enough games
OK I booked all of my flights, and I'll be touching down in Arlanda at 16:30 on the 25th, so if anyone else is arriving in the same kind of time or so, and is looking to get a train to Skovde in the late afternoon/evening, then I'd love to travel with someone to Skovde since I have no idea where I'm going lol Roll Eyes
Edit history:
Chrisk: 2014-05-31 06:22:23 pm
Hello! I'll be flying from Gatwick to Arlanda, not sure exactly when - Saturday 26th or Sunday 27th. Is anyone else flying on one of those days? Would be good to meet up beforehand to try and navigate our way through a Swedish airport together!

YuKitty - did you decide when you're flying?

(And equally I'll be flying back on the 2nd or 3rd, not sure when others are?)