Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (ntscus) (n64/dreamcast/psx) [Any %] [Single Segment]

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to 'Nami'!
Thread title:  
Run Information

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (ntscus) (n64/dreamcast/psx) [Any %] [Single Segment]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/TonyHawk-20210117/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). If you wish to remain anonymous, you can also send a pm with your reply to 'sdaverification' (please state clearly in that case which run you have verified). This is not a contest where the majority wins - Each verification will be judged on its content.
Edit history:
LotBlind: 2021-01-23 10:55:04 am
LotBlind: 2021-01-23 10:54:27 am
A/V: is the skateboard rumble supposed to only be heard on the left channel? How weird.

WR by 9 seconds real time, 6 IGT.

Can't believe we didn't have a run for this game yet! Only three Pro Skater games had runs. Hmm... a bug? Wasn't showing before, I'm fairly sure.

Looks like there's meta strats to clear the menus and menu-like stuff faster as well as the ones for each competition, which can also be played in different orders. Does the tape display etc. skipping also affect IGT or just real time? I.e. did you strictly have to do it at all for an SDA-timed run? And is the in-game time actually valid here since resets are used? Is it accurate? Apparently it is since it's listed in the leaderboard.

That question was partially cause I thought this was the first submission. It is the first in quite a while at least.
Edit history:
ktwo: 2021-01-25 04:02:48 pm
Awesome run and nice to document the route as well. It would also have been interesting to see some comments on what could still be improved. Without detailed game knowledge, it was difficult to detect anything that didn't seem intended. So yeah, I don't have much constructive to say. Just congrats and that it's a very sick-looking speedrun!

Accept!
SDA stated they used IGT for this game to keep every console competitive. The menu stuff was strictly to optimize RTA. This is WR by both methods. Technically you could maybe save a few frames IGT by Ending Run normally on each level, but this will usually not equal enough to squeeze out an extra IGT second, and it would come at the cost of dozens of seconds RTA.

I could write a book about potential improvements, but they are mostly very precise optimizations. Below is a TAS I made that is much faster IGT if you want to see what’s possible. The major route changes that could probably be done by a human are 3-tape school/5-tape Downtown, a very difficult Hidden Tape jump  in DHJ (hard and inconsistent, but the IL record by BSGrind utilizes it), Burnside (I’ve done 3-sec heats for Bronze multiple times), and hitting the ramp in Streets closer to how the TAS does (I’ve done a couple times in practice). Making the most of each frame, TAS saves 42 seconds IGT, but I think realistically the improvements I listed would only add up to about 13 seconds saved for a human. The rest requires too many perfect angles and minuscule adjustments for a human to perform currently.

Thanks for answering the timer question. Won't hold it against you then seeing as it's not actually any IGT time lost... and yeah, our more casual audience wouldn't want to see a bunch of very similar runs that just have different loading times so IGT makes a lot of sense.

Very nice submission! Don't see any reason this wouldn't be an easy

accept
Formerly known as Skullboy
A/V is fine. No cheating detected.

I watched the current SDA run and this one back to back. Every level was faster in the new run except for the school. There's about an 18 second IGT difference between the current run and this run. I'm not sure why that's the case when everything else is faster in this submission. Does playing with no in level music cause the game to run faster? Just wondering.

Accept

Old run gets 3 tapes on School, I get 5. I more than make up for this by only grabbing 3 tapes in Downtown in 6 seconds, which is 48 seconds faster than the old run’s 5 tape Downtown. Afaik music doesn’t affect time.
Decision posted.