Flip: 2013-04-07 02:02:57 pm
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Tobe's Vertical Adventure (Any %) (Single Segment) [Character: Nana]
Tobe's Vertical Adventure (Any %) (Single Segment) [Character: Tobe]
Tobe's Vertical Adventure (Any %) (Single Segment) [Co-Op]

Decision: Accept all 3

Reason: Cool glitches and great play!

Congratulations to Greg 'Setz' Tyndall & Gumboman!
Thread title:  
1-Up!
Run Information

Tobe's Vertical Adventure (Any %) (Single Segment) [Character: Nana]
Tobe's Vertical Adventure (Any %) (Single Segment) [Character: Tobe]
Tobe's Vertical Adventure (Any %) (Single Segment) [Co-Op]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/Tobe's%20Vertical%20Adventure/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting. Verifications are due by April 4, 2013.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.

After 2 weeks I will read all of the verifications and move this thread to the main verification board and post my verdict.
1-Up!
Be advised that this is three runs.

I'm going to have to read through all of these responses so PLEASE for my sake post all 3 verdicts at once!
For people who have never seen this game, it may help you to see my YouTube videos of these runs, because I include annotations to explain tricks and also link to extra videos of them. This game isn't complex -- so you can easily tell what I'm doing most of the time -- and each run is about 15 minutes.

Nana: [ ]

Tobe: [ ]

Co-op: [ ]

Thanks in advance to anyone who volunteers their time to verify these runs!
The artist formerly known as Qxy
I saw all three of these runs, and first off I have to thank Setz for the helpful explanations of the tricks involved here. I've never even seen the game before, so I really appreciate it.

From what I can tell, most of the mistakes in this run were minor. The Co-op, being segmented, is a lot tighter as expected. I'm not sure how easy it is to pull off any of the clips, but most of them get pulled off on the first try with the few exceptions not wasting more than a couple seconds. The other noticeable mistake that kept cropping up is a small number of flubbed walljumps. As is said in the run comments, the mistakes are few and obvious.

The game seems pretty intense at points, with a few crazy leaps keeping me on the edge of my seat. It seems like a lot of work has been poured in here. Careful use of powerups and intended pathways combine with glitches that really cut down on the time. Overall it's a smooth set of runs and the strategy is optimized as far as I can tell. The Co-op run is the most impressive in this regard, as it's basically an enhanced Nana run, using the over under glitch to save time and careful death abuse to keep the screen scrolling at maximum speed. The attention to timing detail really shows here.

Decision: Accept all three. Very nice job.
Willing to teach you the impossible
Easy accepts. This is awesome stuff.
Terraffirmative!
As someone who's never played this game before, I'm going to go ahead and say that these runs all look really impressive and can easily be put as accepts.
Make it so.
Nana: Smooth jumps, all routes look optimal, runner has thought of everything I would have liked to try already as evidenced by the incredibly helpful annotations on youtube. I love how I was expecting some of the tricks before they came: "Oh I wonder if you can use the crushers to... yep, right through the floor".

Tobe: Extremely clever use of hearts in Mystic Cave Zone. Erm, I mean Mystic Caverns. Some lovely damage boosting and rope usage in Ice Cap Zone. A few seconds lost in 2-4 but it's no biggie. Lava Reef looks like a pretty bad level for Tobe overall in terms of limited routes but the runner makes use of every time saving trick possible and gets it looking smooth if nothing else. 3-3 in particular shows evidence of great routing. Sandopolis time: 4-1 has a few problems, again a couple of seconds lost from not ledge-grabbing correctly. Lost a few seconds from Slick Pick not working correctly in 4-3. In 4-4, ropes suck apparently. There are some few mistakes in this run, a perfect time would probably be around 15:30 but this is still very very solid.

Co-op: Excellent use of death abuse and glitches, not much else to say!

I vote to accept all three runs for these reasons:
1. They are really smooth and well executed.
2. The glitches have entertaining names.
3. The music sounds really groovy.
4. The hilarious noise the little animals make when you collect them.
Not a walrus
Just finished watching the last of the runs. Some visible mistakes but overall the runs are executed very smoothly. I'm a little confused about the status of the co-op run since the Youtube description says segmented but the only indication that it actually was segmented is the annotation saying you had to re-record 4-3. Can you shed a bit of light on what happened there? Otherwise, accept all around.
Edit history:
Setz: 2013-03-25 06:17:39 pm
I'm glad you mentioned this because I really should've talked about it in more depth. Each level is its own recording, but I just smashed the clips together right at the "World 1 Act 1" messages so I preserve the time where the screen is black at the end of a level. The reason we had to re-record is that the game saves automatically -- and if you touch an escape rope, you can't go back to a level with anything other than level select.

With 4-3, it was a stupid mistake where I had been using FRAPS' 30-second preview/buffer thing in our final session instead of doing a normal recording. I did this a few times because I can switch it to normal once we reach the goal treasure usually, and some of the recordings took a while. Of course, 4-3 is one of the few levels that takes more than 30 seconds to get to the bottom of, so it cut it off the front 3 seconds. Blargh.

Level select can be an issue sometimes because you keep all of your animals and gems. That's how you can tell if someone gave themselves an unfair advantage: if they have increased health, more lives, more ropes, or more balloons between segments.

Animals give you either extra health or extra life, and gems give you extra ropes or extra balloons. Every ten animals, you get an upgrade, which will switch between health and lives as it goes up. For example: at ten, you get an extra heart; at twenty, you get an extra life; and at thirty, you get another heart. The same goes for gems -- every 300 gems, you get an upgrade that switches between ropes and balloons. So if someone cheated to improve the time, you would likely see these stats increase in some way between segments.

Here's a complete breakdown of our collection over the course of the run, which people can verify using the "Rescue" bar in the bottom left for animals on each stage, and the money display or the results screen for gem collection.

Animals
1-1: 3
1-2: 2
1-3: 2
1-4: 1
World 1 - collected 8

2-1: 2 - Over ten, one extra hit for next level
2-2: 2
2-3: 0
2-4: 1
World 2 - 13

3-1: 2
3-2: 2
3-3: 2
3-4: 3 - over 20, extra life for next level
World 3 - 22

4-1: 1
4-2: 2
4-3: 1
4-4: 2
World 4 - 28

Gems
1-1: 35
1-2: 35
1-3: 50
1-4: 43
World 1 - 163

2-1: 16
2-2: 33
2-3: 45
2-4: 63 - 300+ gems, one more rope for next level
World 2 - 320

3-1: 36
3-2: 72
3-3: 37
3-4: 56
World 3 gems - 521

4-1: 51
4-2: 53 - 600+ gems, one more balloon for next level
4-3: 47
4-4: 65
World 4 gems - 737

Since we completed the game with 28 animals and 737 gems, we didn't receive any upgrades in between beating 4-4 and going back to 4-3 to re-record. So underneath the gameplay, the numbers don't match, but they don't have any value and don't affect the gameplay.

If anyone would like to see these clips in proper segmented form, I still have the raw FRAPS recordings and can encode them and everything.
Edit history:
UraniumAnchor: 2013-03-25 06:23:26 pm
UraniumAnchor: 2013-03-25 06:21:53 pm
Not a walrus
So are all these runs segmented, then, or just the co-op? Because right now they're all marked as single segment. It doesn't sound like the segment inconsistency itself is a problem.
Oh, I didn't even notice that. The Nana and the Tobe run are single-segment, and the co-op run is supposed to be segmented. I don't know if I messed up while submitting it, but you can see the run description says it's 17 segments, whereas the others say single-segment.
Not a walrus
Alright, easy enough to fix, was just a bit confusing, thanks. Smiley
1-Up!
Decision posted.