Smiley
Sad
page  <- 12345678910111213 <- 1 ... 13
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
note to those browsing this thread with adblock enabled: adblock plus is currently blocking the forum from working if you load this thread using the previous post. there's nothing i can do about it. if it's causing you problems i would suggest that you disable adblock on forum.speeddemosarchive.com since there are no ads on the forum and never will be.
Edit history:
dunnius: 2016-02-07 12:51:39 am
Intruding N313 and F014
Or use ublock origin which is a better choice since adblock appears to have been purchased: http://thenextweb.com/apps/2015/10/02/trust-us-we-block-ads/
I am currently using ublock origin, and it appears to be working fine here.
Edit history:
HDL: 2016-03-13 08:10:42 am
Hey guys, this is most likely a shot in the dark but here goes.  I've been putting off my runs of Sonic 3 & Knuckles waiting for the http://www.hdretrovision.com component cables to be released, which seem to be almost here.  It's a Genesis game that outputs at 240p, which is not a well-supported resolution anymore.  A while back I did some research and supposedly only the Elgato Game Capture HD supports 240p on OS X, everything else was 480p minimum.

However I just recently spoke to the guys from HD Retrovision and they told me:

"Elgato said that they couldn't allocate resources to create an update that will allow their device to not choke on 240p over component."

So as far as I'm aware this means proper progressive capture of old consoles is impossible on OS X.  Unless someone knows of another device that supports it (perhaps not advertised)?

P.S. - I tested Loopback and want to confirm that it's a very wise investment.  A routing alternative from audio experts that are likely to support it for years to come, which has the ability to create multiple pass-thrus and, when combined with Audio Hijack's low latency mode, has next to no delay from input to output sources?  Yes please.
Edit history:
crismas: 2016-03-13 10:14:25 pm
So I'm at a bit of a loss.

I've been trying forever to get my SNES to work with my BMIS. Obviously I know BMIS doesn't capture 240, but I obtained an SCART and an HDMI converter which I thought would solve my issue. I honestly had no knowledge of how it worked as it was given to me a while back and now just messed around with it.

I plugged in my SCART and HDMI going out into the BMIS at 720p@60 but I cannot nor my friend who is stream/mac savvy to get the picture to show up. Though he helped me remotely so I may have had some plugs in wrong but for what he tried to help me given what I had done, it wouldn't show up.

So I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with SCART or even just hooking up SNES to BMIS in any shape way or form? I really want to switch to console instead of playing on VC forever Sad

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Follow up: if no one knows, can anyone just help me know the best way to stream 240p on mac? Apparently there are no capture cards, so does anyone with a mac actually stream 240? Or should I just bootcamp my mac and invest in a PC method? Thanks.
HELLO!
Get a BM Intensity or something that takes component.

Get an upscaling DVD recorder that has component out.

Plug your composite console into the DVD recorder.

That's how I did it for a long time.

I use a video processor now, that does HDMI out, but that's more expensive.
Edit history:
HDL: 2016-04-19 10:36:54 am
HDL: 2016-04-19 10:36:52 am
HDL: 2016-04-19 10:36:52 am
I was just told yesterday that the solution to the 240p thing is to simply use a Framemeister.  I had suspected that for a while but haven't yet tried one.  I'll post again on that if I learn more.
Edit history:
presjpolk: 2016-04-19 05:18:20 pm
presjpolk: 2016-04-19 05:16:43 pm
HELLO!
Framemeisters are probably the most popular video processor since they take anything as input and give you convenient output.  More expensive than an upscaling DVD recorder, cheaper than a good video processor.

However they have sync lag, that is, it takes them time to sync and give you your picture. So if you're resetting/powering off, that's a problem.

I use a DVDO iScan VP30.  It's wonderful.  My setup recently moved back to my iMac since my stream rig abruptly stopped working after 2years...
I just learned of another application that can be used for video capture/output and used for streaming: VDMX.  I'd known about it for a while but never really looked into it.  Turns out you can use it sort of like CamTwist, except it's really meant for high end VJ work and as such is incredibly expensive.  However it can still be used for free, you just can't save any presets.  You can set it up to capture windows and output to Syphon.

Attachment:
I recently got the CamTwist dev to fix the color issue with Desktop+ (it was darkening the image).  The RGB values are now 1:1 with the source and CamTwist output in this build here: http://camtwiststudio.com/beta/CamTwist_3.2.dmg
I learned how to use multiple Syphon servers with CamTwist so that you can record pure game feed with one and use graphical elements for streaming with another.  Normally CT only outputs one Syphon server but using this method you have far more control: http://camtwiststudio.com/ctforums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1348&p=5805#p5805
I made a video explaining Mac audio routing:

Hey guys, after much research I may have found the best setup for capturing "perfect" video on OS X from external sources.  We can take a SCART cable from an RGB-compatible console and feed it to this: https://blz.la/rgb/ossc.html

That device supports a 4:4:4 color space, which basically means that it doesn't tamper with the colors whatsoever resulting in the purest possible color accuracy.  It allows you to Laglessly™ process video signal and output that through, for example, HDMI.

As far as capture devices, I think this is the solution to our issues: http://www.magewell.com/usb-capture-hdmi

The device supports RGB, and I'm told it handles various resolutions with finesse.  Both the OSSC and Magewell support 240p correctly.  The Magewell also supports various applications like VLC, OBS, and MadMapper.

On another note, I need some help from someone else testing recording with ffmpeg.  I'm trying to isolate a possible bottleneck and can't do it myself because I don't have another Mac to compare against.  If you have an SSD or better let me know if you'd like to help, thanks.
So at this point, does anybody know any way to capture EasyCap footage on El Capitan? I'm a bit tired of using a random old computer to do it. I'm now running Sierra and I assume it still has the same problems (although I will check) --- for what it's worth the relevant stick to me is the STK 1160
OK, post Sierra update: I have some great news: EasyCapViewer seems to work again, as does Norichan!
Quote from nate:
WTF

Running the beta of MacOS Sierra, so it looks like it was a legit bug in El Cap that's now been fixed.

Anyway, here's my assessment:

EasyCapViewer: displays the output just fine, although attempting to use the audio function in-program results in a program crash.
Norichan: Just works perfectly.

Neither worked under El Cap on the same computer.

A screenshot from Animal Crossing taken with an EasyCap (Syntek STK1160) and Norican on MacOS 10.12
right now i'm looking at both easycapviewer (the last released binary) and noriko (my last released version) apparently working on el cap (10.11.6). i'm on a 27" imac (late 2014). can anyone else confirm they are working under el cap now?

Quote from nate:
right now i'm looking at both easycapviewer (the last released binary) and noriko (my last released version) apparently working on el cap (10.11.6). i'm on a 27" imac (late 2014). can anyone else confirm they are working under el cap now?

I can confirm that both the latest releases of El Cap and the current beta of Sierra work with EasyCapViewer and Norichan.

Since you're apparently not running El Cap as your main -- mind checking if the audio works in EasyCapViewer? It doesn't in Sierra for me. Not a big deal, in the big picture. The Audio does work in Norichan.

In Norichan, I had difficulty getting it to actually capture an avi. this was kinda gotten around by screen recording a norichan window with the appropriate audio in quicktime. Then I'd handbrake the videos since the files are generally huge from that kind of stuff

Also, Nate, I'm definitely interested in a new release / open sourcing of Norichan if you're at all amenable to it. I don't necessarily need support for newer/different cards but the ability to use it and possibly update it (even if you weren't willing to maintain it right now) would be much appreciated
Super Mario Land 2 footage

from norichan, cropped and deinterlaced in handbrake. would be eligible (I believe) to be on SDA if it weren't just me shittily playing
https://github.com/nathanjahnke/norichan
So I finally figured out a solution for recording the "perfect" video on OS X (I guess it's macOS now durr).

Previously I was using ffmpeg to get perfect RGB color space and full pixel clarity, something that you normally don't get when simply choosing "lossless" in most video recorders.  But it has this incredibly annoying issue where the frame rate would stutter occasionally, so the video wasn't completely smooth.

Well it turns out you can workaround this by using Syphon Recorder and selecting "As Fast As Possible" under the frame rate preferences.  What's awesome about this is that anything that doesn't run past 60 FPS will NOT produce a video over 60 FPS, meaning you won't get unnecessarily large lossless files.

Attached at the bottom is an example of this featuring a sprite that flickers every frame (note that you need a player such as the VLC 3.0 beta to view RGB videos).

This video is encoded because I'll be damned if I upload the lossless one, but take it from me the result is a video that looks identical to the source and has little to no frame stutter (there is a teeny tiny amount in the above video due to the Genesis frame rate and emulator vsync).  And in case you didn't know, you can use the built-in utility "Digital Color Meter" to verify color and pixel accuracy by comparing with the source.

I'm so picky about my videos so I'm ecstatic about this, but there are some caveats:

- Games that run above 60 FPS will record higher than that and the video produced will be absolutely huge.  Loads of disk space needed for this.
- Most games don't natively output Syphon, and some don't play nice with Syphon Inject.  Usually not a problem as long as they aren't weird about OpenGL.
- The resolution Syphon outputs will be whatever window size your source is at when you use Syphon Inject (except OpenEmu which outputs Syphon at native resolution based on console).  This means your videos will be scaled if you use a window size and/or aspect ratio other than the game's native resolution.
- Recording large resolutions not only eats disk space like Kirby, but it is liable to cause memory leaks resulting in reduced performance (maybe instability even?).  Use iStat Menus to monitor this easily.
- Encoding videos after the fact may require you to specify the frame rate directly but not usually (still not sure what the conditions are for having to do this).  I think this only happens for higher resolutions.

Other than these things I can say with full 100% confidence that this is the best way to record locally on OS X right now.  I've notified the developers of Syphon, ffmpeg, and OBS to let them know of bugs to fix that would improve things so hopefully they get on that, but for now we at least have a way to get perfect videos that respect color, aspect, and frame rate. thumbsup
Attachment:
Edit history:
DJS: 2016-12-24 02:35:25 pm
DJS: 2016-12-24 02:35:05 pm
torch slug since 2006
I wrote a little guide on how to stream with the Elgato HD60 S capture card in OBS, without using window capturing: http://lambdan.se/?entry=141-elgato-macos
(Basically use the Elgato software's built in streaming module to stream out to a localhost RTMP server, and use that as a video source in OBS - much better performance than window capturing)

If someone has the Elgato HD60 S capture card and a real & recent Mac, like maybe a 5K iMac, and you can get a solid 1080p60 game feed in the Elgato software, I would love to know. Because I'm on a Hackintosh, the Elgato software thinks my i7-4770K doesn't meet the minimum requirements of a i5-4XXX and as such I can only do 720p30. I'm curious if you can get solid 1080p60 on a real Mac.

EDIT: I've gotten myself a 15" rMBP now with an i7 and yada yada and 1080p60 capturing in the Elgato software is definitively OK. Streaming out 1080p60 from there using my localhost RTMP method is not good though, just results in a grey screen when you view the RTMP stream, not sure why...
But for just capturing, Elgato can handle 1080p60 just fine (I've uploaded a sample clip here: YouTube -- it's Mega Man 2 played on a RGB modded AV Famicom running through a XRGBmini)