Sad
<- 12345678 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
she'll get 1:23 one day she just needs to channel the dpad in utmoste strength
I'm starting to play this game again after a long absense; I hope to beat my time and clear 1:45.  Currently I'm just practising the light world dungeons, which I'll probably continue to do for some time.

Anyway, I have a couple questions, and will probably have more in the future:

1) How does marle dash through locked doors like that!  When I try Link is always collides as if he had hit a solid object, while the door unlocks.  I think I recall maybe once or twice making it though, but not in a way that I understood.

2) Any tips for the landmola fight would be appreciated.  I feel like I suck at that one, and rarely get a battle in that I feel good about.
1) varies by door to door but basically you line up link with some kind of "game automated" X- or Y-coordinate, which will guarantee that you dash through the door without being knocked backward. for example, 3 rooms away from lanmolas' room, you should dash "against" the torch so that link lines up next to it, which will guarantee that you dash through the door. basically look very closely at every doordash and see what she's lining up against (be it an object, where the game automatically places link upon entering the room, etc.)

2) practice practice practice. took me about 10 hours of fighting lanmolas before i can say i became consistent at killing them quickly, regardless of the RNG i was given. here are a few important guidelines for fighting them:

A. whether a lanmola goes down or up can be extremely important. if a spawn point is in the top half of the field, it is much more likely the lanmola will go down, and vice versa. for spawn points in the top half of the field, stand next to it and spam arrows when it's about to come out of the hole. due to the way the game visually simulates a floating movement animation, a lanmola's general X-coordinate will stay relatively still for a short time after coming out of a hole with a downward trajectory. this will often allow you to easily land 2+ arrows into it. now, if one spawns in the bottom half, it is best to stand either on top of it or toward the center and next to it. you'll have to follow alongside it and shoot arrows into it as it's going along its trajectory.

B. always try and position yourself so that you can hit multiple ones per phase. when one lanmola has moved such that there's no chance you can hit it again before it goes back into the ground, move to another one and focus on that one, etc. having good spatial senses and an awareness of the entire field is important after the 1st phase.

C. use the sword sparingly, only when you have the time to land a final sword hit on a lanmola before it burrows again but not enough time (or the positioning) to land an arrow hit. the sword can still be important for finishing in 3 phases rather than 4, etc, but it's not very common.

mostly it comes down to experience, recognizing all the various patterns that they're capable of, and how to exploit every general situation that can arise. and of course a precise timing with the bow is pivotal as well.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
I've been working on this game for the last 6 months approximately. Before last week, I only played  this game on emulator (snes9x 1.52) with the Japanese 1.0 rom. After getting good enough times on this setting that I could beat the SDA time on almost every play through if I don't die, I've decide to start to play on console once in a while. I've plugged my old SNES and played with my US cartridge to realise, to my surprise,  that there is only minors differences in term of controls. After 2-3 full practice runs, I've decided to record today for the fun of it and also to test the record quality.

On my 1 recording day, I've beat the SDA time by 26 sec with a 1:35:19. This was my goal before 2012 to record and having on tape a better run than the one submitted more than 2 years ago. Even though I beat the time, I know I can easily cut 3 minutes of this time with my current skill level. It will only take time and effort to get the run that I need. I need silly mistakes that is very embarrassing and can be easily avoided like falling down at Moldorm in Ganon's Tower.

Also, I will try to find myself my own Japanese 1.0 cartridge since it's at least 60 seconds faster only with texts and some tricks that can only be made on the Japanese version like the hammer dash, removing blocks with the mirror and the hookshot glitch on death mountain. I don't know where I will be able to buy one but this is my plan.

Unfortunately, I don't have the equipment right now to be able to stream my console attempts since I don't have a capture card and the feeling of unplugging my desktop and plug it in the basement every time I will want to stream my attempts doesn't feel like fun to me. I will try to find a solution to be able to do it from one of my laptops.

For the time being, I will continue to stream emulated attempts almost everyday and continue to practice this and improve my game overall.  This thread will serve to keep track of my activities around this game. I don't know to where I will be able to push myself on this game. I will be interesting to see. Getting a sub 1h30 would be damn nice to my eyes.

KingHippo423
Just want to say that I was really impressed by Marlie Tang's recent run. I've hardly looked at any alttp runs until now, though I've played the game several times (been playing it recently as well). I don't often get impressed by speedruns these days.
Built my own route, tried not to look at too many tips from the internet cause that would kill the satisfaction for me, although I did learn things like bombing across gaps. Finally got the whole route memorized today, and ran through it in 2:15 (100%, SS). Yay! The game actually glitched on me in Ganon's Tower, I think some of the timers bumped into each other, when I hit the 4 lamps around the spinny fireball thing and then through the door and up the stairs, when I got to the next floor there weren't any fireballs like there should have been, and the floor didn't disappear. There were no enemies or blue/orange switches for the rest of the tower, and it gave me all the keys, so I just ran through the rooms until the snake boss, and it made the rattlesnake sound but he wasn't there, so I got stuck without a chest to hookshot to, and had to magic mirror back to the beginning and run through it again. Really weird.
Oh and that's with 5 digging games, 13 chest games, and terrible luck with Agahnim giving me the wrong attacks and Ganon teleporting way too much.
*English cartridge on console, SDA timing
I've been messing around with this game trying to get a decent time (though almost certainly not one that could compete with you guys), but some of the bosses frequently mess things up for me and I've yet to have a time worth talking about... Anyone have any tips?

Moldorm: I can get the first five hits pretty fast and consistently, but the sixth hit is basically luck for me at this point with a massive time cost if I fail. What's the trick to hitting him when he's moving so fast other than swing and pray?

Helmasaur King: I win this fight about 80% of the time, but I lose when I get bad patterns on him. I'm really not sure what strategy I should be using here that can account for worst possible luck (shoots fireballs a lot, runs right at you to the bottom of the screen once mask is off), but dying is basically attempt over before I get to do the fun part of the game so that sucks. Also, is it faster in the second stage of this fight to use arrows or the sword? I've tried both, and it feels pattern dependent with whichever pattern he gives me always sucking for what I'm trying to do.

Blind: If I make it here with full health, I easily defeat him with sword shots (even if I get hit later in the fight, I have enough health at that point to just rush him and win even if we trade hits). If I take a bad hit in the dungeon which is pretty easy to do in the long room with the conveyor belt, I basically just "fight really hard" which sometimes doesn't end with me alive. Is there a trick here, or is it just "fight really hard better"?
There is a constant strat that will always work on blind. I would recommend watching Cyghfer's AGDQ 2013 run his Blind fight was "Frame Prefect" minus the saved frame of lag.
Zook: Good work on your 100% run, 2:15 isn't so bad for planning your own route and not too much practice, especially with the bad luck you said you had. You should get involved with racing on SRL. The 'glitch' you're talking about has happened to others before - I can't remember why it happened from the top of my head though. If you want more information visit www.notesmash.org/krystal/alttp which is essentially the 'wiki' for this game. You can find her 100% SS WR on there too, or you can catch any of the frequent ALTTP streamers on Twitch/SRL including myself too.

AA: Again check out www.notesmash.org/krystal/alttp which as I said above is basically the 'wiki' for this game. You will find links to Kryssstal's WR runs which show great boss strategies, and the LTTP4HTTP YouTube channel also has some on there too. I'd definitely recommend watching the frequent streamers on Twitch/SRL and pickup tips there.

As always, feel free to join #alttp on the irc.speedrunslive.com IRC server to get involved with the community and you can also pick up some tips there.

As a final aside, I'm going to be making some speedrunning tutorials (including optimal/alternative boss strats) over the next few weeks (months?) which I'll upload to my YouTube channel, inspired by SRL Seasons. So keep an eye out there too for updates.
HELLO!
Blast.  Went to my one local used game store in the hunt for an SNES and LttP SFC v 1.0... didn't have it.  My hunt continues. Smiley
For a 1.0 cart try asking Yggdrizzle either on the Trading Post thread here on SDA, or catch him on IRC - you could try #speedrunslive, #alttp and #sda amongst some others. He has his own Amazon shop so you could try there too - he may note if his carts are 1.0 or not. I found my NTSC SNES on eBay for a decent price. Good luck with your search!

Here's a direct link to Yggdrizzle's thread - https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/yggdrizzles_thread__japanese_games_1.0s_consoles_controllers_and_more.html

Looks like he may have some available if that list is current.
www.youtube.com/user/HumanMYTH
Hey guys,
my friend Lemon was learning some alttp, when he reached trolldorm this happened!

Is this already known?

Greetings
SDA Speedruns: 1
does not seem to be any useful though. At least not in this dungeon,  bouncing off enemies though probably only tas possible to actually be useful if its found to help anywhere, there is another moldorm in  ganon's castle, but not sure if you can use the same trick to skip that room?
Smörgåsbord
AsFarAsIGet: First time I ahve seen anyone get stuck there, I have been sent up the ledge but never gotten stuck.

I am practicing this, but need to get sub 31 light world before I continue forward Smiley
So I started learning lttp over the last week and I hope this thread can help me with some of my questions Smiley

Right now I'm learning the first dungeon from Krystals godtas. Everything is ok so far exept for this trick

http://www.twitch.tv/kryssstal/b/327781609?t=11m14s

In the TTas she managed to get hit only once. I can do the trick with getting hit twice but I was never able to only get hit once.  I dont know what I do wrong because it doesnt look that complicated in the TAS at all.

So... do you guys have any knowledge on how that trick works that I might be doing wrong?

Greetings

Lemon
Hi,

She gets hit twice: once by the Popo and once by the antifaerie, so she loses a total of 1.5 hearts.

Two ways to do this trick:

1. What you saw in the video, take damage from the Popo and then use the invincibility frames to pickup the pot, then stand still on the switch until your invicibility runs out, and the antifaerie will automatically knock you off and make the chest spawn.

2. If you find the timing too hard with the Popo or randomly mess it up, you can stand directly above the pot and walk into the antifaerie to activate the initial damage invicibility frames. This will take 2 hearts of damage opposed to 1.5 and is slightly slower.

Hope this helps Smiley
Hi I'm Kryssstal
Quote from Lemon:
So... do you guys have any knowledge on how that trick works that I might be doing wrong?

I've never done it in a run before. I'm about 1/300 on that trick while reloading the room indefinitely, so I wouldn't worry about it. It saves about 15 frames and will never find its way into a good run, ever.

Also if anyone cares I'm going to do a 24+ hour stream of this game on May 31st starting at like 7 PM Central.
If you do, I'll eat my hat. If there's a chipin on your page I will donate (my hat). And by that I mean I'll donate money. Maybe $10 for every run attempt I manage to watch or something!
thethrillness.blogspot.com
I am just curious, is this possible on the JP Wii VC using a gamecube controller?

http://www.zeldaspeedruns.com/speedruns/3214

It seems like nobody runs the VC version so I guess not? (Only emulator possible?) I don't even know the inputs.
That EG Record doesn't use any buffers and is played on keyboard (i suppose?).
And using GC controller is possible in theory but is very hard, even on SNES controller. I only know Yuzuhara who have done it on a SNES so far.
The only official japanese VC version is 1.2, so you can't do that EG route since there's no fake-flippers in 1.2, however you can use 1.0 inject but i don't think that would be legit for SDA, that's what i used to do before i got my console.
We both like money! Friends?
I've been seeing a new trick lately but I'm not understanding it. (Maybe it's not that new).

I knew the if you item dash on a ladder you gain "super speed", but now I see runners do a sword spin on a ladder to gain the same effect earlier before you get items to dash with. Please explain.
Hello everyone!

I am just getting into speedrunning and thought I would start with my favorite game to play!  I have done 'speedruns' of LttP before, but more like me and my buddy racing and not using glitches and tricks.  Is there a group of people who run no glitch runs that I can get started with?

Sorry for all the questions and I hope to learn how to do this!
Quote from nayt:
Hello everyone!

I am just getting into speedrunning and thought I would start with my favorite game to play!  I have done 'speedruns' of LttP before, but more like me and my buddy racing and not using glitches and tricks.  Is there a group of people who run no glitch runs that I can get started with?

Sorry for all the questions and I hope to learn how to do this!

Hi
The Any% No S+Q/No OoB runs doesn't use any big glitches, just super speed, itemdashing and block erasing.

Quote from KanBan85:
I've been seeing a new trick lately but I'm not understanding it. (Maybe it's not that new).

I knew the if you item dash on a ladder you gain "super speed", but now I see runners do a sword spin on a ladder to gain the same effect earlier before you get items to dash with. Please explain.

It's indeed a new trick, this works by pressing the A button 1 frame after releasing the spin (works only after getting pegasus boots). This activates a state in which you can't sword slash, if you touch a stair like the ones in Death Mountain, you will activate superspeed.