The Land Before Time () (gba) [Any %] [Single Segment]

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to 'CardsOfTheHeart'!
Thread title:  
Run Information

The Land Before Time () (gba) [Any %] [Single Segment]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/landbeforetime-v_HQ.mp4

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.
Edit history:
Eternalspirit: 2015-07-24 11:12:38 pm
Note to other verifiers: Read the comments for the Megadactyl fight to understand what's going on, otherwise it looks completely messed up. The fight is 5 minutes into the video. For convenience, here is the relevant snippet:

Quote:
It's hilarious how busted this megadactyl fight is. There are several things going on here.

But first, let's talk about the characters. There's not much difference between them as far as movement goes. Some have unique special attacks, but attacks are useless in this game. The primary difference between them is their health. Littlefoot can survive three hits, Cera can take four, Spike takes a whopping seven hits, and poor Ducky can only take two hits.

Littlefoot's health makes him more useful for this fight than Cera as you are constantly looking to take damage. Megadactyl carries things from his nest and drops them on you. Every once in a while, he swoops down to attack you and you can jump on him. (As an aside, the lives you carry into this fight can affect some of the things he drops.) If you die as the boss moves left, the boss warps to the left side of the stage and moves to the next step in its sequence. You can save up to five seconds with each warp.

Also, when the boss swoops down to attack, you can normally hit it once per cycle. Normally. If you go to the left edge of the stage and bounce off the boss with a second jump high enough, you can get a second hit on the boss as he re-enters the stage. Why only a double-jump works is beyond my understanding.

Unfortunately, I missed one of the double-hits which means I forfeited about 18 frames from getting all of the double-hits and running to the end of the level--the scrolling is broken from the sharptooth boss, remember. That comes with a risk, however: because each hit forces you to the left, if you don't hold right IMMEDIATELY after getting the final hit, you fall off the side of the level and out of bounds. You can move left and right, but there is no hope of getting back onto the screen, leaving you softlocked. Hope you have enough treestars to revive a character (to get back to the start of the boss), else you'll have to quit the game right there. Considering the risk of softlock, I'm not TOO worried about missing one of them.

My comments are that this run is very solid and I give it an accept. I felt the runner made particularly strong use of the health bar as a resource to save time by going through enemies instead of trying to jump over them.

Also, I don't remember a giant scorpion in The Land Before Time, but.. whatever.
I think the Megadactyl fight damage taking looks pretty obviously intentional comments or not, but the comments are very detailed in general.

This is every bit as solid as a ten minute platformer run could be! I'm impressed.

accept
Quote from LotBlind:
I think the Megadactyl fight damage taking looks pretty obviously intentional comments or not, but the comments are very detailed in general.

This is every bit as solid as a ten minute platformer run could be! I'm impressed.

accept

It sure looks hilarious if you don't know why though!
Yeah. True.
Edit history:
Crow!: 2015-08-03 10:08:17 am
What's that gemma?
A/V seems good - though all my video players see the low resolution image I'm trying to stretch to a larger size and say "hey, I should make this blurry instead of just doubling the pixel size!", which is less than ideal.

Anyway, the gameplay looks solid.  I'm hard pressed to find any opportunities to go faster during the levels, and there was clearly a lot of thought put into the boss battles.  If there is some way to score just 2 more hits on the Spider boss, that would be a big gain over having to wait for another cycle like this run does.

I'd accept this.
To be fair I noticed it was a bit blurry too. I assumed it was the game, but I'm not sure.
Decision posted.