Smiley
Sad
page  <- 12345678910111213141516 -> <- 1 .. 14 .. 16 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
I've tried throwing a bottle outside the office but that one guy is who is walking ahead is already in the office by the time I get there. They both go after the bottle but the guy who just entered the office takes too long to get out and get to the sound of the bottle.

It's no good if they're not together and you get the first guy blocking the doorway while he tries to get to the bottle. I'm thinking of throwing the bottle from the hallway before I come in sight of the office doors. Hopefully they'll run up the stairs and into the hallway allowing me to run by them and make some distance.
Was playing today and totally forgot to try throwing the bottle before the stairs.

I found something small but not sure if it's useful. I'm not sure if you did this in your run Magnum. I tend to forget small details like this.

You know the part early in the game where you crawl out of the vent by the offices. This is the hallway where you can use the phone to lure the woman.
I always got to that vent and because she was running past it gave me that 'blocked' icon and couldn't crawl out until she went past.

Today I was mashing the X button early and was able to climb out around the time she passes and she saw and went red, but I was still able to outrun her. Saves only seconds I guess.

I tried that strat for making Light appear early by holding X to zoom before entering the vent. I'm not sure if I did it right. Magnum do you have a video of that? I got Joseph laughing today. I got up to that point without dying or damaged and just dashed right past the save. I was looking but didn't see him at all. Admittedly, if I want to see anything clearly I should be wearing my glasses. HD screens also hurt my eyes after a while so maybe I just didn't see him.

I can't think of anything that could have triggered this. Couldn't be related to alerts. I got seen by Light while escaping the locker room, so it can't be not getting seen either. Maybe not saving at all? Also the Ruvik flash seems to be totally random too.
http://twitch.tv/Exisidis2
Yeah I do that whenever I can. I actually can't remember if I got it in my run, but I'm pretty sure I did. I noticed that the 3rd day or so after playing the DLC and try to get it in my run whenever I can.

It shouldn't be too hard to do, as soon as you are entering vent and Kidman is opening the shutter and pulling it open, tap X a few more times or hold it so camera starts to pan over to the guy. If Light Woman still showed up late then huh, guess that isn't the solution, or doesn't help on PS3. It worked 4/4 times for me, but maybe I just got really lucky. Will keep trying next runs and get back to you.

Nah Joseph isn't tied to not saving at all. Thrill thought the same thing, but the first time I ever got Joesph, or one of the first few times at least, I saved and went upstairs and he was there. He's just gotta be random, I literally cannot think of anything else. Also it's hard to see Joseph before he disappears yeah, plus I have my brightness up to 100 when I run. So turn brightness up to 100 and look at the VERY end of the hallway when it's all dark and you know he is there. You should just see him at the end waiting in front of the double doors you open.
thethrillness.blogspot.com
The Assignment DLC has been added to the leaderboards: http://www.speedrun.com/The_Evil_Within#Any_The_Assignment
Magnum I'm pretty sure I did it wrong. I only tried it once and would probably need to see what it in action.

I'm a little confused about evil Joseph. Kidman defeats him and he seemingly dies. Is that the real Joseph? When does it happen in the main game? She and Joseph meet again in the park right? I can't remember every detail of the main game now.
thethrillness.blogspot.com
Quote from zero shift:
I'm a little confused about evil Joseph. Kidman defeats him and he seemingly dies. Is that the real Joseph? When does it happen in the main game? She and Joseph meet again in the park right? I can't remember every detail of the main game now.

My interpretation is that it's just Kidman's reality with some truth thrown in.

What I thought about last week in the main game is Ruvik putting sort of like a clone Joseph there. This is why Ruvik says "Will you be able to live with yourself after what I'm going to make you do? Little Joseph couldn't". He was referring to earlier when he must have asked Joseph to kill Kidman but refused so Ruvik's subconscious invented a Joseph clone to kill Kidman.
Pretty much what Greg said, I also explained this a bit to a person on my stream. It's like the quote says at the beginning of the DLC from Jimenez. "They existed together, but each saw things in their own way"

So what Kidman experiences is different than what Sebastian does in the main game. What Kidman sees is for the most part not the real Joseph, but in a way Ruvik's version of how he wants Kidman to see him, almost like an illusion while being connected to STEM.
So the meeting at the park must take place around the end of the next DLC right?

At the park, normal Joseph appears and confronts Kidman and seems to know what she's really up to. It makes me wonder if evil Joseph is the same one and she didn't actually kill him. He may have got up and came after her later resulting in the park seen.
Some random stuff.

1. I timed crouch walking normally compared to my standing crouch walking method where you keep momentarily letting go off and repressing the crouch button. I did it in a long straight path and normal crouch walking was 23.40 while the other was about sub 23. So it saves about over half a second just from that small area. So only slightly faster, but hey anything that helps.

2. Found a new timesaver in chapter 2:

It's so fucking specific the spot you have to face and hold X though that it almost isn't even worth it lol.
That's so weird but really cool. I probably won't be attempting if it's that inconsistent though.

When using the crouch walking trick, do you just keep hitting the crouch button, or is there a specific timing to it? Like, how long before the game registers it as an actual step that makes sound? How much can you get away with before it registers?

I quite like tricks like this. In Fatal Frame, Kuon, and Haunting Ground you can do something similar where you move in the mystical void between walking and running. In Fatal Frame it allows you to move silently. Same in Kuon with the added benefit of not draining stamina, and in HG you can use to move slightly faster than walking while allowing you to regain stamina at the same time.

You might be interested in those games Magnum. They're all horror games and not too long. I run all of them and would be cool to have more people interested.

Back to The Assignnment, I did a full run today but messed up avoiding Light at the start. I still got away but she had her red light on me causing that slowdown. Then I screwed up the Joseph fight so badly it defies belief, but decided to keep going for practice. Somehow missed the bell with the bottle but at that point I'd long stopped caring. Here's a few thoughts.

I tried out your strat on the mutant that busts out of the water tank. It saw me as I was crouching near it so I'll have to check your video again to see the exact timing. Somehow I avoided it and this is what happened. So I'm by the tank it just jumped out of and as it was turning toward me I ran around it to the door and just barely managed to get in before it made the full turn to face the door I was hammering the X button on. Im pretty sure it took a swing at me but I guess you can't be hurt in that animation where you force your way through.

The part in the room went smoothly. Can't express enough how awesome this strat is. Only thing here was I didn't have enough time to turn the wheel before he busted in so I played it safe and hid.

I tried out that office bottle strat I was thinking of earlier. I threw the bottle around the top of the stairs and got the attention of the one that hadn't entered the office yet. Ran past him but, the door had closed and he was after me so I had to kick it open, which alerted the guy already on there. He hit me as I picked up the key card. I threw the bottle a little late at the start so maybe a strat could be developed here but initial impressions are not good.

I just let go of crouch for like half a second and repress it, pretty fast actually. You get a rhythm for it after a few tries. Might even get more of a slight boost if you let go for 1 full second or so. I've heard of Fatal Frame and Haunting Ground yeah, maybe I'll check them out when I have some money.

Yeah that happens to me in runs sometimes, it's so annoying and scary as fuck. Usually I won't lose a run, but the light slowing you down pisses me off. Your running out through the door has to be pretty fast and precise, and you can't collide into the girl haunted. For the mutant Trauma I just run until I'm about to reach the glass tank it breaks out of. Then I'll just crouch walk behind it as it breaks out. I crouch around slowly to the door, and as soon as it takes 2 steps or so away then I just go for the doors. Normal walking, not dashing.

Yeah that office is still a bitch, your idea with the bottle sounds interesting. You'd have to pick up the bottle at the bottom of the stairs after though, so you have one for the bell at the end of the run and don't waste time getting another one that's far out of the way.
Quote:
Yeah that office is still a bitch, your idea with the bottle sounds interesting. You'd have to pick up the bottle at the bottom of the stairs after though, so you have one for the bell at the end of the run and don't waste time getting another one that's far out of the way.

There's a bottle in the area with the exploders, in the small area where you need to push that trolley into the exploder on the other side so you can climb the ladder. The bottle is beside the trolley. It might be too risky to pick one up before entering the office but I'm not sure. If it is at least there's another bottle available right in our path later on.
Quote from zero shift:
Quote:

There's a bottle in the area with the exploders, in the small area where you need to push that trolley into the exploder on the other side so you can climb the ladder. The bottle is beside the trolley. It might be too risky to pick one up before entering the office but I'm not sure. If it is at least there's another bottle available right in our path later on.

By the time we get to that area though we already need a bottle BEFORE that though to distract the exploder. Although you call out to distract it, but I don't. I think it might be about the same. I do get the bottle near the trolley though yeah.

Anyways I got a new PB today: http://www.twitch.tv/exisidis2/c/6383831

Final time was 42:21. Shit run again. I was talking to my mom and fucked up putting one of the panels in during the sewer and just jumped off without opening the gate. So lost 20 seconds there probably, and I messed up the Joseph fight a bit. So close to 41 minutes. I also had a run after this that was INCREDIBLE and was on pace for sub 41 minutes maybe, then Joseph trainwrecked and I lost the run. Sigh.
Quote:
By the time we get to that area though we already need a bottle BEFORE that though to distract the exploder. Although you call out to distract it, but I don't. I think it might be about the same. I do get the bottle near the trolley though yeah.

The call method is super fast though. It's another method I haven't tested against others though. Just feel it. Could be wrong.

Quote:
Final time was 42:21. Shit run again.

Even so, very nice time. I'm still sucking too hard to get anywhere near that.

Quote:
I also had a run after this that was INCREDIBLE and was on pace for sub 41 minutes maybe, then Joseph trainwrecked and I lost the run. Sigh.

What happened in that fight? I like to know all the possible behavior of Joseph in this fight.
Do you have a video of exactly how you do it? The call method, sometimes just seeing it can be amazing rather than reading about it.

The joseph fight after the 1st axe hit, I wait behind that machine. He can either turn and face the back of the room and slowly walk towards there, which is what he did. This is the absolute WORST outcome. You have to wait the longest before you can crouch walk out without being spotted, and then crouch super far across the room to get to him. This happened on that run and I came out too early and he still saw me and everything went MAJOR bad after that. So bad you have no idea. On my twitch broadcasts if you wanna see, it was the run after the 42:21 run. The other thing he does is faces to the right of the room, and walks over behind one of the beds/machines. You just follow behind him and axe him. It's a bit slower than the last option I'm about to list, and not bad. The last thing he does, which happened in my 42:21, is face over towards you, and you just wait there for him to come around, and immediately axe him from behind when he walks in front of you.
I'll make a video of it soon.

If he goes the wrong way, can you just call him back?

Your twitch isn't working. I'm getting an error message about violations.
Quote from zero shift:
I'll make a video of it soon.

If he goes the wrong way, can you just call him back?

Your twitch isn't working. I'm getting an error message about violations.

They asked everyone to reset their passwords recently, so you might have to do that. My twitch is working fine for me and comes up.
I'm streaming more runs if anybody wants to come by and watch:

http://twitch.tv/exisidis2
The video of calling the exploding enemy.

hmmm off the top of my head it seems about the same. By time you are pressing up I would be throwing the bottle right. You call out as I'm walking near it, it turns and starts towards you. You are going near crawlspace as I'm already next to it and about to go under. I think you would be getting there and about to go through just as I'm already going through. I'll compare and let you know later.
Edit history:
Magnum66: 2015-03-24 12:32:19 am
Magnum66: 2015-03-24 12:25:20 am
Magnum66: 2015-03-24 12:23:51 am
Magnum66: 2015-03-24 12:20:07 am
Magnum66: 2015-03-23 11:38:15 pm
Comparison #1, I finally tested your strat vs my strat for the first enemy you encounter in the DLC. I only did a rough test for both, 1-2 times each. And....

Your way: 14.33

My way: 14.39

So they're actually extremely close and close to the same. I think yours is way more consistent/safe though, so definitely sticking with yours.

Edit: Tried again with yours and got a 12.66 entering the double doors, timing from near the vent. I think I could get a 13 or so with my way, so yours is 1 seocond faster. Smiley

Comparison #2, I tested the exploder part with my strat vs your strat and...

Your way: 24.64

My way: 24.21

So my way is just about half a second faster. I did about 3-4 attempts for each method.

Edit: I tested kind of a combination of both, because pushing off of cover gives you a little boost. So I throw the bottle, then cover and push off of the corner and I got a 23.30

So that strat saves 1 second even over my old way. Combination strat hype.
Very interesting. Thanks for putting in the effort to test and get these times.

I think I slightly messed up my one because I didn't cover boost, but as the testing shows it ends up slower. It's weird because when I watch both the bottle looks slightly slower, and the enemy looks like it takes longer to react and head towards the sound but seems that was just my imagination.

Nice combination strat. It's really cool seeing more and more small time savers emerge especially with a game as linear as this.

Any news on the office?
I tried it again today. Threw the bottle around the top of the stairs and got the closest guy's attention, and this time the guy who would have usually just entered the office was coming back towards the stairs, but in no rush. He was just walking back out.

Ideally I'd want both to rush to the top of the stairs so I can dash past.
I was checking a bit with the office last night. My strat I'm actually currently using in my runs is a bit slow, but it's been working SO consistently and been so safe so I might wanna stick with it. I also REALLY want to try and find a strat though, so it's frustrating. COuld maybe save 5-10 seconds if a really fast and safe strat is found. I'll work on it today.
New world record!

http://www.twitch.tv/exisidis2/c/6400155

Wow, congratulations.
I've learned some cool stuff from your runs yet again.

Comments and observations.

At the start running through the tunnel you jumped off the sandbag barrier.
Didn't know if you wait under the vent it will fall. I thought that only happened when moving past it.
Your cut-scene skipping seems faster than mine.
That was some pro office skills.
Ohh, you throw the bottle like that. That last time I saw you do that is was in a different direction.
Nice exploders route.
You can climb the TVs? What? haha
Pro invisible avoidance and that railing boost is awesome. I need to practice that.
The whole sewer area was perfect.
Damn, too bad on the Joseph fight, but it was still pretty good. If he sees you there at least the projector is quick back up.
Oh ok , that's what the kick does. Nice one.

Looks like 41:00 could just barely be possible if Joseph cooperates but I think your time will be very tough to beat.