--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Flip: 2013-07-10 08:26:21 am
1-Up!
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/BatmanAndRobin.html

The Adventures of Batman and Robin (Any %) (Single Segment)

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Colin 'Musashi1054' Darczuk!
Thread title:  
1-Up!
Run Information

The Adventures of Batman and Robin (Any %) (Single Segment)

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/batmanandrobin-v_HQ.mp4

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting. Verifications are due by July 11, 2013.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.

After 2 weeks I will read all of the verifications and move this thread to the main verification board and post my verdict.
Edit history:
MAS8705: 2013-06-27 06:14:23 pm
MAS8705: 2013-06-27 05:24:07 pm
MAS8705: 2013-06-27 04:31:54 pm
SDA Apprentice -- (3-1)
I almost panicked until I remembered that there was no video games made off of the movie of the same name.

Hell will freeze over if anyone decides to speed run that game.  I also noticed that I accidently made a pun there.  God help us.

Anyway, let's take about the animated show video game!

It should be noted that this game is already on SDA.  Thus this will be more of a "comparison" than it will be a new run.  This should be fun to compare.

http://speeddemosarchive.com/BatmanAndRobin.html

One other thing to note here is that the runner is using batman while the existing run uses Robin, so it will need to be figured out if there are any differences between the two characters or if they play the same.

The start of the run was slightly concerning since the existing run was actually faster than the submitted one.  Also during the 2nd boss fight, while the existing runner wisely stood off to the side to avoid the falling debris, the runner stands out in the open to get hit.  There was no time lost, but it was rather ironic to see batman getting slammed while robin stood off to the side taking no pain.

While the runner was slower than the actual run at the start, even after the second stage, the runner somehow caught up and passed the existing run during the flying stage.  While I had no idea why that was, the runner was kind enough to point out the following:

"The previous run used the Bolo (Green) weapon during the second Two-Face stage which plays like a horizontal scrolling shooter. Towards the end of the stage, before the zeppelin segment, it is faster to use the Batarang (Red) weapon because its charged shots destroy the stealth bombers fastest and it defeats the three satellite cannons (the things that shoot Spaghetti O's) as well as the final boss helicopter."

Turns out that because of this small change, the runner was able to save time and pass the existing run.  Granted the existing run is five years old already, and I don't think the runner  didn't think that the run would be improved on.  From there, while there are small improvements scattered, there was only one other area that showed great improvement:

"Time was also gained during the second Mr. Freeze stage by jumping over the ice machines (the ones that are after the tanks)"

Funny how throughout most of the run, we see how these guys completely obliterate everything in their path, and it is only now towards the end of the run that it turns out that by "jumping over the enemies," time is saved.

Overall, I had my doubts at the start of the run, but after the flying stage, there were great improvements to the existing run, thus I accept.

Now... I don't normally do this, but I feel a bit lucky about this.  I wanted to see if I could try and pinpoint a "Time" for this run.  I'm taking a guess and saying it is either 49:53-49:55.  Of course, I know I could be wrong, but never hurts to give it a try.
Not a walrus
Comments should be up now.
Edit history:
AlecK47: 2013-06-28 11:28:29 pm
A/V good, no cheating detected.

I'm far from ignorant about the reputation of Batman video games, which may explain why I not only was unaware of this game's existence in general, but that I also didn't know it was on SDA (and yes, I'm aware of the order I used there).  Let me just say this: I thought I was done drinking for the night, but the first five minutes of this game convinced me that three glasses of wine was not enough.  This game is monotonous as fuck, and yet it lacks the hypnotic quality of, say, the Superman 64 run on this site, even despite the constant trance-electronica music (the bass is stronk).  And the ending... but enough of that.

As for the run, it looks perfectly acceptable as is.  A great deal of what is suboptimal seems or is unavoidable without impeccable 2P cooperation.  Add in the fact that this is a significant improvement (1.5 minutes+) to an existing run where no obvious improvements to the route exist, and that makes this an easy accept in spite of this game's myriad failings.
All the things
I have not yet watched the whole run, but I believe the final timing is just a touch under 49:50.

My initial impression is that the run feels kind of sloppy in parts, but I'm not sure whether that's an artifact of the game's own chaos or unpreparedness by the runner. I'll need to double-check for some specific examples, but it just seemed like the approach for taking out some of the enemies was lacking. I'll watch the rest of the run and do some comparisons with the standing run soon.
Edit history:
Worn_Traveler: 2013-07-10 09:47:41 am
Worn_Traveler: 2013-07-07 09:07:41 pm
Formerly known as Skullboy
A/V is fine. No cheating is detected. I assume this is on a model 2 since the music is in stereo.

I bought this game soon after it was released (though I didn't beat it until 2008) and I was happy and surprised to see it pop up in the needs verifiers thread. I had watched the currently published run before and I thought it was pretty good. I'd like to say that this run, while an improvement, blew me out of the water, but I can't. It's not a bad run by any means but until the end of the first part of the flying section (I'll explain soon) this run was behind the currently published run. After that it pulled ahead. I am a bit wary about accepting a run just  because the shmup section is done with a better weapon though. The runner mentioned the switch to the Batarang for the blimp, which while typically a weaker weapon, is stronger here than the Bolo on the satellites. I watched both the published run and this one and made splits while doing so, as I wanted to better gauge the run. The runner doesn't lose much time after the flying section of stage 2. The platforming sections are a bit cleaner (though the Cheshire Cat fight doesn't look as good, but that boss has high defense) and jumping over the ice machines in 4-2 definitely saved time. The last round with Mr. Freeze looked faster too.

Overall, this is an improvement over the published run. I am not sure if 2 players would actually be faster due to weapon upgrades being split (or one player goes for all melee attack). I accept this run.

Note on splits: I divided the splits up in the same spots that the game does via the level skip code. While this is normally easy to tell due to fade outs, it is not so easy to tell during the flying part of stage 2. The game divides that section into 4 areas: The city, the clouds (starts after the midboss), the zeppelin, and the helicopter. I began time when the playing field appears in stage 1 and I stopped when the player rears back before flying off after stopping Mr. Freeze (control is lost there). Please note that these may be a second or two off but are generally right. These are for reference purposes. Don't let them sway your decision. Make your own to be safe.

Attachments:
Not a walrus
So I started watching this and my first thought was how much it sounded like Sub-Terrania. Lo and Behold it's the same composer.

AV's quite good, I'm pretty impressed by this game's visual effects. Art design a bit less so, but it's still pretty good. However, there's a video stutter at 44:14, a bunch of repeated interlaced frames result in the same two frames repeating for a split second. The audio continues on as normal with no skips or desync so I think it can be safely ignored.

Game sure has a lot of autoscrollers in it. Gameplay seems fine, comparisons have been done in more detail already so I won't really say much other than it seems fine, and it's an improvement, so I'll go ahead and say accept.
1-Up!
Decision posted.

I know I'm doing this a day early, but tomorrow is going to be crazy and I'm headed out of town so I figured I'd go ahead and pass this one through.