Sad
1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

The Addams Family: Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt (Any %) (Single Segment)

Decision: Reject

Reason: Video was not captured properly, it appears. If the runner can fix it, this run is an accept, but until then it's unfortunately rejected.

https://queue.speeddemosarchive.com/queue/verificationfiles/754/

This run will be available for a month. After that these link(s) will no longer work.
Thread title:  
Run Information

The Addams Family: Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt (Any %) (Single Segment)

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/pugsley/Pugsley%2019-55.mp4

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting. Verifications are due by Jan. 30, 2014.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.

After 2 weeks I will read all of the verifications and move this thread to the main verification board and post my verdict.
Edit history:
Eternalspirit: 2014-01-16 09:38:05 pm
Who in the god forsaken depths of hell approved of that eyesore of a background? This video is really hard to watch. At least it's only on the first level..

Anyways, other than that, the execution of this run looks very good. I noticed few mistakes, some hesitation here and there but overall just a very solid run. Accept.
Edit history:
ktwo: 2014-01-17 07:16:15 am
ktwo: 2014-01-17 07:07:40 am
I have very little experience with this game. Most of what I remember was that its difficulty was through the roof from the very beginning. Absolutely no slack whatsoever for a casual player. Possibly the "hardest" game on the snes? (even though that's kind of tricky to measure objectively...)

A/V: The audio seemed good to me, but the video is unfortunately not up to par. There is ghosting going on (see attached screenshot). The video is also in 29.97 fps (I don't know if it's related or not), so half the frames are not there. I really, really hope this can be fixed.
Gameplay: This is a pretty non-linear game, absolutely littered with secrets and out-of-the-way triggers needed to advance. Without having played through it and since I couldn't find much speedrun related information, it's difficult to comment on the routing, damage boosts, boss luck (or maybe they have fixed patterns?) and such. The run comments didn't exactly help out either. At least nothing struck me as unnecessary, so I'll just assume that it was done with optimal strats for a human speedrun with today's knowledge. I could spot a bunch of minor/medium execution mistakes (up to maybe 3s at most), but nothing major that I could see. For this kind of game (high degree of user input, many precise manoeuvers/tricks and little health to work with), it was still a very good effort. I have to say that it was a delight seeing someone simply beating this without deaths, let alone doing it in a speedrun setting. I'm impressed!

If the video issues can be solved: VERY SOLID ACCEPT (with a pat on the back to the runner)
If the video issues can't be solved: I'm considering sacrificing 5 kittens, 2 dog families, a dozen new-born babies and a virgin (that's all I can spare for now) to the speedrun gods in hope of them being merciful throughout 2014 instead of all the mockery. I will also cry myself to sleep the next couple of days o(╥﹏╥)o

Timing: First movement at 9.759 and loss of control at 20:00.864. Total time 0:19:51. A little bit uncertain about the loss of control though.

Attachment:
A/V:  Audio was fine except for the bathtub level - oh wait that's just the game (WHY CAT NOISES WHY!).  Video is fine.

Gameplay:  I remember the run of this at SGDQ - which made this even more incredible.  Only obvious mistakes to a layperson are a few missed wall-jumps, and you still did far better on those than in the marathon and I understand how finicky those are.  Just excellent all around.

Overall Accept, easily.
Viking it up
Unfortunately, this is what my capture card (Elgato) spits out.  There is no "closer to source" video file, this is exactly what the local capture gives me.  I guess I need to get a new card, the settings in this one don't seem to affect recording quality.  It's not the cables, I have gone through a few setups with various cables.  I didn't notice the ghosting during video playback, just noticed it was sort of "softer" than it would be on emulator.  I'm afraid I can't solve the video issues, I'd have to get a whole new setup and get another run this good (getting this run took me nearly a year).

About the timing: loss of control occurs on last input after the final boss dies - the scavenger hunt checklist disappears to a button press, so rougly 20:01.5.  I personally timed it at "game start" select on title screen but I know that's not SDA standard.

I can provide much more detailed comments, even play-by-play, if you like.  I was under the impression that brevity was preferred... this is my first SDA submission.  Smiley

Before I submit anything in the future I'll definitely make sure my setup can locally record better than this.  I knew when submitting the quality was bare minimum for SDA, just sort of crossed my fingers since the run was done, I hadn't thought about submitting before I got the run, then afterward it occurred to me "maybe SDA would like to have this."

Thanks for all your kind words!  A lot of hard practice went into this run and it means a lot to me.  You can definitely expect the same dedication from me in the future.
Professional Shaq Fu Speedrunner
A/V: I've seen and heard worse on SDA. While it could be better, this is acceptable.

Gameplay: Not gonna repeat what other people have nitpicked on about the very minor mistakes. It is a pretty polished run and certainly deserves a spot on SDA.

Easy Accept.
Viking it up
How detailed should the run comments be?  I can write a paragraph per room if desired.  Wasn't really sure what was being asked for when I submitted, so it ended up being a short technical note for verifiers' sake.
You can be as detailed or as brief as you want.

Some runners, like Tiki, often leave behind some weird IRC message for their run comments that have little, if anything, to do with the run (but are hilarious 100% of the time :D).
Other runners, like Tide, leave behind.. extremely detailed 50 page comments for their runs. >_>

It's up to your judgment. If you want to give people who have never played the game an idea of what went into the run, then you should be as detailed as possible. Otherwise, it's up to you. Cheesy
Vanilla H is mai waifu
A/V : some interlacing

Run : this run is pretty amazing.
even if the video quality has some problems, I should say an easy accept for this one.

the video quality should be improved for the next submission, but I think for a first one, we can say ok.
Not a walrus
Unfortunately I don't think that interlacing problem is something we can accept, but nate has the final word.
How do you people notice these things???
Edit history:
Warepire: 2014-01-20 02:34:42 pm
Heavy Metal Powered
Quote from Eternalspirit:

I check it in VirtualDub going frame by frame. Might be other methods as well.
Oh, I suppose that makes sense. I honestly can't pick up any of these subtle video issues at all with just a watch of the video.
Vanilla H is mai waifu
Quote:

I have good eyes.
This run is definitely acceptable in terms of gameplay, but unfortunately I have to agree that the video isn't.  I don't think the ghosting is really a problem outside of the very beginning, but the framerate issue means the video seems to stutter throughout.
Decision posted.