Edit history:
ktwo: 2021-02-14 09:50:56 am
Flip: 2011-06-01 10:26:48 pm
1-Up!
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/AddamsFamilyNES.html

Any% run with deaths

Verifier Responses

Quote:
I timed this run at 13:54, a 77 second improvement over the last run. Timing starts when you can move after the first prompt the game gives you, and ends when the game blacks out after rescuing Morticia.

I want to start by saying I only played this game to verify it years ago. Watching this run has forced me to recall old memories of how intolerable this game was - the attic bricks that forced you all the way down to the front of the mansion if you were hit, the horrible swimming controls, the slow, plodding gameplay, and the horrifically programmed damage system that made it obvious the designers didn't care.

Anyway, this run is like the inverse of the game itself, quite excellent, which is especially impressive considering how good the first run is. Everything is tightly optimized, from the planning and death management to every single bit of movement. The biggest improvement is in the route. Skipping the money bags in the blue room saves the time waiting for the platform, climbing up, then dying at the top, and the hidden warp room not only saves the backtracking through the pond area, it also makes the bone easy to collect on the way back.

Everything ktwo (come on, we all know he's the only guy willing to run this game) nitpicks about his run is hardly even noticeable. I frequently had to watch a section twice just to notice a mistake pointed out in the comments. In fact, I thought skipping that money bag in the freezer was an improvement (you don't have to turn around and build up speed) until ktwo pointed out that it's slightly slower than what he did in his last run.

Ktwo even managed to make watching this game minimally entertaining with the flying glitch, it's at least good for a laugh.

Accept. Now stop playing this game and play something more deserving of a run!

P.S. Did you ever lose runs because you were 100 dollars or so short for the scale? I feel like it had to have happened at least once.

Quote:
First, I would like to say how much this game tortured my soul. Many nights, I would lay in wake knowing that game existed, just haunting me. Seeing you literally destroy the game in record time, I enjoyed every minute of it because I felt a bit of relief seeing the game done in like it was.

Going back and looking at the old run and comparing this run to it, I see a lot of places where the runner improved with the warp glitch, hover glitch (which didn't only save time, but was really hilarious), and better paths.

After watching the run then reading all of the comments, I had to go back and watch the run again because the runner explained a lot of places he supposedly messed up at, and I had to watch those parts multiple times because I could barely notice any loss of time (literally half a second at most).

I doubt there could be anymore improvement on this run,  but at the most, a couple seconds could be saved if a squeaky clean run was achieved, or if more glitches were discovered (not like a well-polished game like this would have any glitches though). Honestly though, would you want to put yourself through that? After all, this game is what nightmares are made of!

Accept.

Quote:
I was the one shared route idea with Ktwo, and I checked video. It seem almost flawless, except attic part a little slow down. Understandable because he have to be really careful not to jump too high or too much time to turn around and get back to where he was.

If TAS were made using this route, I think it'll be only 5~15 seconds faster. Very good without tools.

It was pretty entertaining to see him managing to reduce hit point too low and continue to speed-running thru game, and then die at correct place. For me it's pretty hard to drop hit point to low without dying. Well done on that.

Timer part.. gain control at 00:14, finish at 14:08 (when he die there and put controller down).. 13.54

No Cheat, Legit. Accept.

Quote:
Pretty much what the other guys said.

I feel shame that I know this game well enough to verify it.

Excellent run and excellent improvement.

Dogshit game. How bored was I as a child? Sad

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's an improvement over the current run.

Congratulations to 'ktwo'!
Thread title:  
Wow, the staff has changed a bit since I last logged on... I'm glad to see it seems to have been a smooth handover though. Anyways, that's not what I wanted to post about.

First of all, thanks for verifying everyone!

Quote from Verifier 1:
In fact, I thought skipping that money bag in the freezer was an improvement (you don't have to turn around and build up speed) until ktwo pointed out that it's slightly slower than what he did in his last run.
I was not clear on this point. The method in the new run is actually faster than how I did it last time around, but there is an even faster way. If you're interested, I have a failed speedrun attempt on my youtube channel that uses the faster method.

Quote from Verifier 1:
Now stop playing this game and play something more deserving of a run!
I'll do my best to please you guys... Don't expect anything else than an "obscure" NES-game for my next run though.

Quote from Verifier 1:
P.S. Did you ever lose runs because you were 100 dollars or so short for the scale? I feel like it had to have happened at least once.
I had the route pretty well memorized, so this wasn't really much of an issue. It's not like I'm improvising the route from one attempt to the next. To help even further, I frequently checked how much money I had at every death and so on. However, your question does have some relevance for one time after having made a small tweak to the route. I continued doing attempts and was close at getting a good run. The run was finally ruined near the end, but I went on just for practice and discovered I was missing 100 dollars with the new route. It would obviously not have been fun to have a run ruined by missing money.