Sad
1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/TMNT2.html

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game (Any %) (Single Segment)

Verifier Responses
Quote:
The plan seems well thought out, the ai of several of the bosses is efficiently exploited often resulting in fast (and impressive - if you have played this casually) fights and the levels were also overall well played. In speedruns of this type of games, you have to take the good with the bad, it's never going to be perfect. The enemy ai will always screw you over a couple of times and the game will punish you (time-wise) for the small mistakes made.

Because I'm such a diligent verifier and good soldier :-), I decided to also take a look at the current sda run. From what I can see, there is not a huge difference in play quality or rng between the two runs (but that's just a very rough estimation from my side). It looks like the new run gains most of the time from more efficient boss fights, but also from generally better understanding and exploitation of the enemy ai and finally from a little better knowledge of the game (I got the feeling that Frezy sometimes didn't seem sure on where the next enemies would spawn or when it was time to move on etc).

While the new run looks very nice, I wonder if it could be worth considering the following points for possible improvements?
- It seems like it should be possible to exploit the exploding barrels a bit more. For example the one outside F17. (Frezy ignites it immediately and manages to take out two enemies)
- There are two deaths that happen just before the end of boss fights (Shogun and Krang). Dying isn't a terrible time loss, but still... Would it be possible to change to a slower, but safer strat near the end of respective fight? I believe the boss health can be viewed during emulator practice, so it doesn't seem unreasonable to use that knowledge during actual attempts on console and keep track of the number of hits remaining.

The above is just me thinking loud... The time gain would be very small (if any at all) compared to the length of the run. Regardless, this is a very good effort and an easy ACCEPT.

Quote:
A/V: Almost suspiciously good.  I know my NES doesn't look that good on my TV anymore.

Cheating: None spotted.  Watching this run alongside the incumbent run does not reveal the game running unnaturally fast or anything like that, and this is not an abnormally hard game to time your button presses precisely.

Play Quality:
Apart from what's noted in the run notes, there are a fairly large number of cases during the standard level progression that he takes a costly hit or two.  When watching this run and the incumbent side-by-side, sometimes the incumbent run was faster during the stages and sometimes this one was faster; overall, I'd say the general gameplay for the two are equivalent.

Where time was consistently gained was in superior boss fight strategies for the first half of the game.  Almost a minute was saved on Rocksteady and Beebop alone.  Consistently getting the groups of 3 unicycle robo cops or whatever they're called to group up was also a big deal, and those fights probably account for the remaining minute he saved.

My verdict is ACCEPT.  Making a run ~7% faster without using some sort of glitch speaks for itself.

Measuring from when the runner's turtle gains play control to when the runner's turtle starts flashing after shredder (which I think is where play control is lost), I've got his time as 33:59.

Quote:
Dear Anon SDA Ver acct...
  TMNT2 looks and sounds fine. 

I saw this up for verification and nostalgia hit.  It's been a little bit, but man this gameis horrible... Anyway, I dig the boss strats.  Runner clearly knows how to manipulate.  The only big bungle was the dojo level.  Scorpions got away for a minute, but that's forgivable given the rest of the run.

Easy ACCEPT.

Quote:
accept

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to 'Whitman_Price_'!
Thread title: