List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/TMNT.html

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Any %) (Single Segment) [Deaths]

Verifier Responses

Quote from HavocProdigy:
Because I'm not a fan of anonymity, I'll start off by letting you know that this is HavocProdigy.

I casually dabbled in running this game earlier this year and have watched several runners stream this game over the past 5 or 6 months.  The record for this game has been passed around no less than 6 times since May (possibly more) and I've been a live witness to most of them.  Needless to say, I'm quite familiar with the route and the runners of this game.  A couple months ago, I realized that this particular runner had become the most talented and devoted runner of this game and so this submission isn't particularly shocking to me.  It was expected.

Cheating: None.

Audio: No problems.

Video: Here's where I have some concerns.  The video bobs up and down and blurs throughout the run, making it somewhat of an eyesore.  There's some rather nefarious shit going on at the top (and sometimes the bottom) of the screen.  I took the liberty of checking out the video quality of the run on Youtube and it does not have the same blurriness.  I assume that the encoded video will have these issues fixed.  Assuming that this is the case, I suppose this won't be an issue.

Timing: I timed the run at 18:22.1.

Gameplay: I won't bother to spend much time here because this particular run is excellent and is currently the fastest publicly available run of the game.  All of the mistakes are incredibly minor errors in execution that are so minor that they do not even remotely detract from the quality of the run.  All of the "extended jumps" are executed on the first attempt.  Occasionally, the runner is hit by an enemy, the Rocksteady fight was good but not great, and the first two rooms of the Technodrome showed some difficulty with enemies.  However, these moments overall are few and far between.  Getting both ceiling glitches in the Technodrome on the first try is an unrealistic expectation.  While the 1st ceiling glitch took 4 or 5 attempts, the 2nd glitch was pulled off instantly (the 2nd one is harder to do, in my opinion).

This is a fantastic run and assuming that the less than stellar video quality can be fixed in encoding, I don't see any other issues.

Verdict: ACCEPT

Quote from HavocProdigy:
I guess that makes sense since the same run on Youtube doesn't have anywhere near the same amount of problems that this does.  Since it was probably screwed up during encoding, these issues should be easily fixable I would imagine.

Quote:
No cheats
Audio: great
Video: not so great, just needs a proper re-encode with the correct settings and it should be fine (picture clarity is really good when it's not bobbing)

This run shows considerable improvement over the older run on the site. Not taking into account the massive ceiling glitches, this is easily 20-25 seconds faster from better execution coupled with better enemy luck in key places which let him keep moving instead of stopping to fight. On top of that, the aforementioned ceiling glitches save another 40ish seconds. As mentioned by Havoc, any mistakes are really tiny and don't take away from just how good this run is.

Accept

Quote:
As long as the video can get encoded proper, this is an easy accept

Corrected videos were sent in.

Quote from HavocProdigy:
Looks fine.  Accept it.

Quote:
As long as the video can get encoded proper, this is an easy accept

Quote:
Looks like I'm late to the party. Sounds about right.

In any case, everything looks good to me, and I can't add anything that hasn't already been said, so...

Accept!

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to 'Whitman_Price_!'
Thread title:  
Thanks Havoc, other verifiers!
Grats on this! I can imagine how hard a good single segment to get in is, considering all the execution up to before Technodrome can be wasted because of bad rng (or not executing proper rng manipulation). Way to go!
Yeah, that technodrome rng scared me away at first, but eventually you get consistent enough to feel confident about it. Thanks doicm!
0-10
Ok, I'm bumping this because I just watched the run. The game page neglects to mention that this is likely done on PAL, since the top and bottom 8 pixels aren't black. It being PAL would also explain the massive lack of lag throughout the run. That aside, I'm curious how the video is 60.099 FPS. Isn't PAL supposed to be 50 FPS? What am I missing here?
Fucking Weeaboo
Quote from Lenophis:
Ok, I'm bumping this because I just watched the run. The game page neglects to mention that this is likely done on PAL, since the top and bottom 8 pixels aren't black. It being PAL would also explain the massive lack of lag throughout the run. That aside, I'm curious how the video is 60.099 FPS. Isn't PAL supposed to be 50 FPS? What am I missing here?

Except isn't the PAL version called "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles"? The copyright and title says "Ninja", and the publisher is stated to be Ultra games, which is the US publisher. The PAL publisher is Palcom from my records.
Edit history:
Lenophis: 2014-02-20 10:31:53 am
0-10
Quote from Sir VG:
Except isn't the PAL version called "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles"?

Wow, I forgot about that entirely. Now I'm more confused about the FPS issue. Since I never stated it, I was watching the medium quality. I'll be checking out low and high as well.
HELLO!
Where specifically do you expect lag to be, that you're not seeing it?

Is the run just really good at lag reduction possibly? Smiley
0-10
Quote from presjpolk:
Where specifically do you expect lag to be, that you're not seeing it?

Pretty much everywhere except stage 2.

Quote:
Is the run just really good at lag reduction possibly? Smiley

Possibly, but until I get more info about why the medium framerate is 60.099, I will be skeptical. Just checked the low quality, and that's 20.033 FPS.
There are completely legit ways of arriving at an fps of around 60.1. I use a usb capture card (dazzle) and virtual dub as capturing software. The output video has an fps of 59.94, but the audio is desynched. There is an option in vdub to sync the audio and video and it results in an fps close to 60.1. I can't answer if that's the case for this video specifically, but thought I'd mention it anyways.
HELLO!
Well the NES itself outputs 60.09 (as opposed to the Wii VC's 60.002).
Edit history:
UraniumAnchor: 2014-02-20 11:57:10 am
Not a walrus
Quote from ktwo:
There are completely legit ways of arriving at an fps of around 60.1. I use a usb capture card (dazzle) and virtual dub as capturing software. The output video has an fps of 59.94, but the audio is desynched. There is an option in vdub to sync the audio and video and it results in an fps close to 60.1. I can't answer if that's the case for this video specifically, but thought I'd mention it anyways.

I get this exact same result, so it's pretty well established by now. If I record NES games at 59.94 but don't drop any frames or adjust the audio, I have to speed the framerate up to 60.1 to get the audio to match. And I know the time is good because I have twitch recordings (with wsplit) to back me up.