List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
andrewg: 2011-06-12 08:35:56 am
andrewg: 2010-07-26 10:55:10 pm
Hi! I'm andrewg!
Super Mario World 100%!

As many of you know, I've had a poll up for the past 2 weeks or so: http://speeddemosarchive.com/forum/index.php?topic=11805.msg330953#new

And the winner of this poll was SMW 100%! It came up from behind and overtook first Mike Tyson's Punchout and then beat out Super Mario Bros. 3. The current SMW speedrun on SDA is very well done. The player in 2005 'gamecube04' had produced a run which many had seen to be inhuman. It was and still is one of the more impressive runs on the site: http://speeddemosarchive.com/MarioWorld.html

Can I beat it!?

I'm going to be keeping track of level times and my progress. This should be a really fun project. I also hope to put up more polls in the future as to what games people want to see speedrun most.  8)

Wish me luck!  Smiley
Thread title:  
i hope the run doesn't end up being mostly flying! i still want to see you take down the nicovideo any% run but this should be nice too.
Wow, I didn't realise Jason Baum was a speedrunner. I know (of) him from speedcubing :p

Considering the high quality of all of your other runs, a run of this length might become infuriating, so good luck Smiley
Master-88
SMW 100% run is one my favorite run entire site. Yes i liked all 100% Mario runs more than any-% these just includes more cool stuffs and much lenght.

I just wonder if you can beat Baum run. I think yes you can beat it but its can,t happen very soon. Baum run seems near perfect, i think Bowser was only slow part in hold run and even Bowser went down decent. Though we know a today much new stuffs and its might be help save some shy seconds.

Yes i´ll follow that your progress, i can,t wait see better run Than current SDA run. This was just one so insane cool run ever. Cool see you are planned make som serious attempts with this. Good luck man. We trust you Andrewg. Wink
Edit history:
andrewg: 2010-06-28 03:17:15 pm
Hi! I'm andrewg!
Practicing practicing PRACTICING...

I test so many things when I speedrun. I'm trying to get it down to a science. Half the levels will be me flying to the exit, the other half will be me trying to come up with glitches/tricks to help me epic success. <- I'm leaving that typo.

Anyway, I'm really trying to come up with some creative strategies. Unfortunately, many TAS tactics are out of my reach.
Master-88
TAS run not was even much better than Baum run. IIRC TAS time was 1.21-1.23. And hell yeah TAS strategys, crazy wall jumps and etc... stuff are way too hard by humans. I think you can only make some very minor things faster. Im not seriously believe under 1.30 is possible. I think max limit might be 1.30.30.

Baum run is surely one most optimize old run into hold site. Yeah run is 5 year old, some minor things might be changed. I think you can save some seconds away with his time. Im not sure can MAP route are better, maybe you can follow TAS route in map? Roll Eyes
Hi! I'm andrewg!
Practice is going... frustrating. Vanilla Dome 3 is a really challenging level to speedrun. Especially because I'm trying to do it without stopping. A few other levels are causing me some issues. The autoscrolling cave level (near donut plains 1) is weird. It's very tough to get into the upside-down pipe as soon as possible. I'm going to experiment with this some more.

I have about 1/4th of the game planned out. I'm going to be copying the TAS map route because I'm a loser (though this may change if I alter some strategies... ;))

I'm actually improving though! I was out of practice and now I'm back on my game. Smiley I'm not sure how soon I'll complete this because of work and college classes I've been taking this summer. I don't exactly have the kind of time I used to have in high school. Anyway, progress is looking good. I'll probably put up some times for various levels for my own use and so that people can watch my progress. I might put up a few test videos of different levels too.  8)
Like A Fox
are you sure the tas route is optimal? i recall something about it being not, in star world or something. not sure if that was fixed yet or not, the run up on tasvideos is quite old and outdated.
Hi! I'm andrewg!
Alright, I've been putting this off some. I'm planning to work on this run until it gets finished. I don't know how long that will take, but I think eventually my skills should improve some more.

Much of this run is actually luck-based because of the flying-speed variations. Unfortunately, much of this run will be flying using the cape, but I hope it will be impressive beyond this fact.  Smiley
contraddicted
If someone's likely to beat this run, then it is you, Andrew.
And I don't know when you'll be bale to beat the current run, but if you just keep practicing it is definitely going to happen Smiley
Hi! I'm andrewg!
Hey again everyone.

I keep getting motivated to continue with this run and then my progress stops, but the reason is due to school the past 2 months (I'm taking summer classes). Anyway, in a few days I will be done with school, I will still have work, but it's not like I have homework or have to study for work... lol. Therefore, I'm definitely going to have some time for speedrunning.

I'm planning a lot for the rest of this year. I think you'll be seeing much from me.  Smiley

A for practice for the smw 100% run, I'm up to around the cheese bridge. I feel pretty confident up to around that point. I have much more to test and much more to practice.
Yoshi's eggs are at my mercy!
I'm sorry, I would've totally been here motivating a fellow Mario speedrunner, but I've seriously been out of the SDA window for a while now (just found this thread even though it's months old, it's sad really). I recently had a 100% race of SMW with a RL friend of mine for giggles. He kicked my ass by finishing Special World while I was still stuck at Castle #7, with the remaining 8 exits in Special World to do. So, with that fresh in my mind, I can relate to SMW in a better since because I hadn't played in probably 2-3 years prior to last week's race.

As far as my opinion on further optimizing the SMW 100% run, you're in for one hell of a time. If I were you, I'd find it really hard to get enthusiastic about a run where literally, there's an attempt-destroyer at every level that contains lava rafts (or in general, any level where you have to cape through tight-spaces). But then again, you're crazy, so I'm excited to see you get through it!

How much of the TAS are you replicating BTW? I'm finding it hard to scale from your posts alone if this is going to be anywhere near the level of jimsfriend's "small mario only - min%" run concept or if this is shooting to mimic the 2005 record as far as optimization goes, but with a stronger bowser/finish?

Much love <3!
Hi! I'm andrewg!
Alright, I'm a slacker. I am still working on this. Planning everything takes a while. School had been keeping me busy, but I think it's about time to finish this run.
Good luck to you, really interested in seeing this Smiley
(user is banned)
Yes Mario Riding A Pole
i cant wait for the improvement Smiley
Hi! I'm andrewg!
There has been lots of delays. I have been working on this periodicly. This will get done, and it should be very nice.

This Summer should be interesting.
THIS RUN CONTAINS SECRET WORLDS
I'm probably not the only one looking forward to seeing Andrew improve this category. Will SMW 100% be part of the summer marathon?
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
The current 100% run is so old.  I'm hoping to see a new one myself.  There's really only so many times you can watch a Speed Run before it starts to get boring. :3

Are you using a different route compared to the current run?
I haven't seen this myself, but there is a Japanese run done in 1:28:55
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm11467883

Rest of the parts are in the description.

Good luck with the run though, Andrew. We all know you'll do great.
Edit history:
andrewg: 2011-06-13 06:50:49 am
Hi! I'm andrewg!
I planned to beat the world records for any% and 100%. I think they are done by the same guy now (and he's really good)... I'm not sure if I can manage, though I'm sure I'm capable. It's the kind of thing that I know I could manage with enough time, but I really don't have THAT much time lately. :/

Regardless, I'm still going to try and outdo this awesome runner.