List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/Mario64.html

Myles 'ShadowOfMyles' Bukrim's 16-star run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
I have watched the run about 3 times now, and I have to say, It is possably the best run on SDA!. I have made a checklist here:

Video Quality: Good To Great
Cheating: NONE!!!
Run Quality: Awsome!
Frame Skips: None

I did see a Bit of a framerate drop for about 2 - 3 seconds on a part of the film, But I think It is Irelevent.

Thanks For letting Me Verify...

Quote:
Well, I've watched the run, so here's my feedback.

I'll start with the timing.  The first frame you have control over Mario's movement is when the dialog box goes away at frame 1910, and the last is when mario touches the power star at frame 33424.  So that makes the run 31514 frames long, which is 17:32, rounded to the nearest whole second.

The run didn't seem to have any cheating I could detect.  There seemed to be some sound errors in the ending cutscene, although that may have been a problem on my end.

As for the run quality, it was really quite good.  I've become a bit spoiled from watching too many Mario 64 TASes, but this run still impressed me.  A very good showing.

Quote:
Quality (Capture)
Some of the colors are really bright when viewed in its normal avi format, but in VLC, everything seems to fix itself. Magic I guess?

Quality (Gameplay)
When I say “x number of seconds faster”, I’m starting the two runs from the same point to make the comparison.

The old run lost 10 seconds by failing to perform the Lakatu skip. This run pulls it off.
Gets the first star 8 seconds faster due to better long jumping and luring a bomb over to get him through the gate instead of freeing the Chain-Chomp.
Gets the second star 4 seconds faster due to faster moves.
Get to the next level (6 stars by now) 22 seconds faster thanks to all the timesavers in Whomp’s Fortress. The best among them a trick where he times the cannon blast to break the wall, and land on the platform so he wouldn’t have to go back down, get in the canon, and fire himself into the star.
By the time they both entered Bowser’s first level (8 stars), the new one was ahead an extra 10 seconds. The old uses the secret slide twice, while the new one went to Cool Cool Mountain and got the two stars there instead through kick-ass stunts.
The new run beats Bowser 7 seconds faster because the player of the old run through Bowser off the stage (to get him closer to the mine I presume) and had to pick him up again.
The old run loses 3 seconds when he tries to get down the stairs, but Mario grabs the ledge, twice!
Instead of going into Lethal Lava Land, the new run goes into Shifting Sand Land and uses an incredible trick to get the star out of the vulture’s claws. This shaves off 5 seconds.
Gets star 10 8 seconds faster through a very risky but cool strategy involving shooting himself off of slopes for higher jumps.
Kills the Bully for star 11 with one move.
For star 14, he uses more awesome wall kicks and timing to get one closer to the start of the course rather than going for the easy to get one that’s further away.
The new runs gets old run’s star 14 here, and the old one gets the new one’s star 15. Except that the old run had a way to get up there that was further away and less slow, and even screwed it up. At least 10 seconds are saved if the two are compared side by side.
Another 10 seconds are saved in Board Bowser’s Sub (16th and final star) when he uses an alternate and more risky strategy (in terms of screwing it up and falling off the sub like an idiot) by jumping up the ramp part of the sub instead of climbing onto a ledge, activating a switch to create platforms to the sub, and then climbing them.
The runner of gets to Bowser a stunning 12 seconds faster in Bowser’s Lava World. New and more efficient moves are used, including a triple jump instead of a bum roasting jump, and hopping along the side of the level near the end. The old run also had a bum roaster by accident, and hit an electric ball.
For Bowser in the Sky, in new run gets to him 16 seconds faster, mostly because he didn’t wait for the arrow platform like the old one did, and made some insane jumps.

Timing
Mario first moves at frame 1911 (1:03.746)
Mario touches the final star and gets his winged cap at frame 33424 (18:35.249)

Overall time: 17:31.485

Importance
I’m freaking speechless right now. Seeing a game like this taken down the way it just was almost makes me think that it’s tool-assisted or the runner is using “hax”. But I know this is not the case, because I played this game for many years, and know everything he pulls off is possible. I swear that the runner has to be Shigeru Miyamoto himself, or something. The most crazy moves are pulled off, and there is no single time costing mistake. He even takes new routes and gets new stars which are all faster and better choices than the last ones used, as evidenced by the overall time which beats the (really old) SDA one by over 2 minutes and 15 seconds. Just to prove that I’m not totally blinded by some sort of bias, I did notice that the only thing that can really be improved upon is swinging and letting go of Bowser, which can be done a little faster. But I can’t say I blame him, because it’s a lot harder than it looks, and the camera really likes to not cooperate when you’ve got a hold of him. Anyway, it’s obvious that this need to go onto SDA. The sooner, the better. The ever so very much better.

Decision: Accept

Reason: Not like I have to provide one.

Note: DRybes requested notable past submissions be posted on this board. This is the only notable submission I could find in my PM box (both forum changes completely wiped my PM box), so this is the only old run I'll post in this board.
Thread title:  
Edit history:
VorpalEdge: 2008-11-09 06:05:42 pm
welcome to the machine
I like how nobody mentioned the video quality problems.
Edit history:
andrewg: 2008-11-09 06:19:51 pm
Hi! I'm andrewg!
awww man... I was like "woah, a new sm64 run by myles? How much did he improve the run by!? Is it a 1 star run!?"

Then I click on the link and there goes my excitement.
O Zlda?
It's cool, this was actually one of the ones I wanted to see how awestruck the verifiers were. Pity that the PMs were wiped, since I'd like to have seen the ones for SMB or the 120 star run, but this is cool, thanks Smiley
He's back!
That would have been a great April fools joke  Grin
DS Dictator
This old run is confirmed to be spliced from the runner himself.... nearly 2 months ago. Please take this one down.

http://www.mariokart64.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1104687815/1482#1482
Edit history:
Elipsis: 2015-04-06 01:31:10 pm
That sucks.  This lead me to find some interesting stuff on how to detect these sorts of things, though.  The way that this was discovered is actually pretty interesting:

edit: better to watch this on youtube after reading the description - you don't get a whole lot out of the embed.
twitch.tv/ccaakk
That's pretty lame. Why anyone would do this is beyond me.
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. The run is no longer listed on the Super Mario 64 page. If this run obsoleted another run, we'll find that run in the near future and reinstate it on the game page (accepting that such run, like Myles's run, will now be painfully outdated).
TBH, I'm not sure it's necessary to put an older run in to replace Myles's run.  Especially if some of the linking features for archive.org discussed in the Future of SDA thread end up implemented.  I get that SDA is an archive and that there is precedent and all, but this one just seems like it might be more work that might be better spent on other things that will make SDA better.  It's not a big deal to me regardless, but I figured I'd drop my two cents on this.

Also the whole Myles drama... Sad Huh? Sad
If I were Myles in this situation, I would try to create a new video for this either on stream or live with someone watching or something just to get some credibility back.
Myles also confirmed that he is insane... which is the saddest part of this story
Quote from shoshonte:
Myles also confirmed that he is insane... which is the saddest part of this story

Like.. medically insane?
Edit history:
presjpolk: 2015-04-22 11:11:54 pm
HELLO!
If he meant everything he wrote in that thread he's having hallucinations and delusions.

And well, if we take everything at face value, probably a bit of paranoid delusion as well, believing the whole community was cheating and therefore he had to cheat, too.