Sad
<- 123456789 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Ben Goldberg
Best hour I've ever spent watching a speed run. Great stuff, they're just too many places that were awesome that I can't comment on them all. Just the crazy wall jumps and such, great stuff! With all the new tricks that I saw that could be used with a 16 Star run, I wouldn't be surprised if you could break 18 minutes. Can't wait to see more of this great stuff.
m00
:worship:

that was awesome Shocked

my christmas wish list now includes an 18:xx 16-star run and a no-death sub-2:45 120-star run .. let's see if that big red guy really exists Wink
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Quote:
:worship:
my christmas wish list now includes an 18:xx 16-star run and a no-death sub-2:45 120-star run .. let's see if that big red guy really exists Wink

You'll get your 18:XX, before the summer is out... As for 120, I think sub-2:15 is a much better goal, don't you? (Probably would do that in two segments though.)
really ncie job, dam this mario run is the best of any mario Cheesy
congradulation
Man that was an amazing run, i cant believe some of the tricks you used, i mean watching tick tock & rainbow played like that so far into the run really was just out of this world.  However, I think that some of the stars could have been picked a bit better...well actually just two-->Why did you go to the ghost house at all, you only picked up 2 stars there and it seemed like it was totally out of the way.  Both of the stars you got seemed to take at least 40-50 seconds or more.  I felt like with your insane jumping skills there has to be two different stars in the other levels that would have been faster.  I mean the first koopa the quick only takes 35-45 seconds to do and is right in the way at the beginning (no killing ghosts to get into the level). 
Things like this are very minor though, and would have to be tested to see if they were actually faster or not.  It just goes to show you how good of a run it was that things like this even come up.  Great job man.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
The first KTQ takes like 1:20 to do since you have to wait for him to give you the star, so it's not a good idea.

If you were to skip Boo's Haunt, the best alternative may be to do a quick semi-hard route on Cool Cool Mountain for red coins, then follow it with the easy Snowman's head.
Novice Speedwalker
Minds have been blown! Very nice work, especially on Tick Tock Clock and Rainbow Ride. Mario's a lot more acrobatic than I thought he was... excellent run.

I have no other commentary, since your own commentary covered pretty much all the bases, more than I have ever known about the game.
Can you do the snowman head right after the red coins one? Well, then it might be a good alternative. I was actually suprised that no 100-coins star was picked up, since you don't exit the level after those and so can collect the coins on the way to another star. Especially on the Wet Dry World while getting the five secrets star.

I guess the only way to make absolutely sure what stars are the absolute optimum ones is to make a 120-star run. (hint!)
Talk to the Hand
Well after all the accolades I heard, I had to grab this for myself. I watched up to Bowser in the Dark World (As I have to go to work tomorrow), and to this point, all I can say is it's fucking SICK.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Quote:
Why did you go to the ghost house at all, you only picked up 2 stars there and it seemed like it was totally out of the way.  Both of the stars you got seemed to take at least 40-50 seconds or more.  I felt like with your insane jumping skills there has to be two different stars in the other levels that would have been faster.  I mean the first koopa the quick only takes 35-45 seconds to do and is right in the way at the beginning (no killing ghosts to get into the level).  

The first star I get in the ghost house... 40-50 seconds? Which run are you watching exactly?? The bookcase star only takes about 15 seconds! It's not THAT out of the way, and since I was already over there, I figured I'd hit up Big Boo's Balcony as well which takes around 40 seconds... Still, it IS a bit out of the way.

The red coins + snowman's head at Cool, Cool Mountain are definitely a feasible alternative. Also I admit to never timing any of the 100-coin stars at all before the run, but since then, I've done a few of the obviously faster ones and some of them could be substituted in as well.

Anyone seeking the record for themselves still has a lot of work to do, it seems  Wink
I ment going to the ghost house (starts at 18:35) +killing the outside boo twice+time it took to get both of the stars&getting back outside (20:32) ~= 120 seconds, which I believe is over your average for stars.
Oh man...

I can't stop watching this run.  My favorite stars have to be 63 and 70.  Props, man.
Reserved Postulator
Just... amazing. I was nervous just watching the last couple stars - this is incredible work!

In the words of Will Ferrell (as James Lipton): Scrumtrilescant!

-dirtyminuth
Yoshi's eggs are at my mercy!
Yes, I must congradulate you as well. THis run is just absolutely stunning. Makes me that much more determined to perfect my craft whenever I submit my run (for another game, not M64).
I congratulate you LeCourier, this is an absoblute work of art. Incredible skill and very entertaining. My favourites have to be 63 and 70! Just stunning! No-one in their right mind would ever attempt to top this, it just isnt possible...
Best speedrun I've ever seen, the last star is so awesome  Shocked !
There is something i don't understand at the begining of your run. When you speak to the red bob-bomb on the first level... He said " We'll prepare all the cannons in this course for you to use. Bon voyage !"

Eh... "Bon voyage" is French, whereas the rest of the text is in English ! how can it be possible?

Anyway, your run was awesome.
sda loyalist
'Bon voyage' is one of those phrases which has psuedo-entered the language because it is recognised by most English. Similar to 'vice versa' and 'rendezvous'.
So yeah, not a case of lazy translators. Tongue
Edit history:
Tub: 2005-06-29 01:34:27 pm
m00
Quote:
Eh... "Bon voyage" is French, whereas the rest of the text is in English ! how can it be possible?

you'd better ask Nintendo about this, as this is the original text of english cartridges. "Bon Voyage" is french, but is understood worldwide, so I don't see any problems with that.

edit: too slow ..
Cool, I learnt a few new things. That's saying something.

It's kinda annoying to see you try such risky things at the very end of your speedrun (are you crazy?!), because you end up pulling them off and making everyone else look silly. I don't even want to ask how many times you've failed in those two levels. It's not easy to compete with crazy people.
The man made of sticks
Quote:
No-one in their right mind would ever attempt to top this, it just isnt possible...

Good != unbeatable.
Thanks for the answer. That's... Funny.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
It's funny that everyone keeps saying the end is the best part, because it actually IS the best-played part. After Snowman's Land on a 1:02:56 run, I was at 51:01; here, I was at 50:33-- only 28 seconds ahead. Then this run finished 1:24 ahead... I gained nearly a minute on the "Big Three" (TTC, RR, BitS) over a previous run. Nowhere else did I ever gain such big time (as a matter of fact, I was BEHIND the 1:02:56 for a good amount time due to the mishap with Chain-Chomp; I only caught up in Lethal Lava Land).
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Lol iowa, yeah I didn't know either bon voyage was used by english people, that's funny.  Smiley
Anyway, from the feedback, it looks this run is amazing, gonna dl it right now !
Retired
Very nice run.  Up there with the Super Mario World video in my book.  I'm sure the "TAS" guys are drooling over doing this game since you exposed a lot of stuff that is really high precision...and you did it normally.

You need to work on Bowser.  All 3.  The path to getting below one hour begins with being able to beat them without messing up.