Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
UraniumAnchor: 2013-11-08 06:43:55 pm
SDAVerification: 2013-10-29 08:54:27 pm
1-Up!
Game Page: Doesn't Exist Yet

Super Mario 63 (Any %) (Single Segment)

Decision: Accept

Reason: Despite some verifier misgivings about movement errors, this run is of reasonably high quality

Congratulations to 'I have no name'!
Thread title:  
1-Up!
Run Information

Super Mario 63 (Any %) (Single Segment)

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/sm63-v_HQ.mp4

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting. Verifications are due by Oct. 16, 2013.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.

After 2 weeks I will read all of the verifications and move this thread to the main verification board and post my verdict.
this checks out
i ran the game for awhile so i know the route and how the game works
there were a couple mistakes but not anything major it was a really good run overall and i can confirm there was no cheating
capture was fine. the audio seemingly only plays in one ear sometimes but thats a game issue
so it was a good run :D:D:D:D
I have no experience with this game (but I've obviously played all the mario games it was based on).

A/V: The audio overpeaks at 4:55 and onwards for a while. Otherwise good in this department.
Legit: As far as I can tell, yes.

Gameplay: Without counting stuff that looked out of the player's control or skips that looked somewhat difficult to get, I noted down the following unprovoked mistakes ([m:ss] (estimated time loss in seconds)): 0:16 (1), 0:22 (1), 2:14 (1), 2:39 (1), 2:52 (1, or was this a dialogue skip or something?), 3:30 (1), 3:56 (1), 5:09 (1), 5:35 (1), 5:56 (5, or is it not possible to get up here immediately?), 9:03 (7)

Overall: See the audio problem above. If that's acceptable, I will still be on the fence and recommend a weak REJECT. I simply think there were a few too many unprovoked mistakes for a game of this type. Granted, I don't know if the control scheme of this game makes it particularly hard to play or if some of the mistakes I pointed out above were in fact intended/unavoidable or if there are other considerations I'm missing out on since I haven't played the game. Anyways, I won't continue arguing for a rejection if the other verifiers say accept.
Obscure games ftw
0:16- What I try to do there is dive onto a goomba, which is pretty much down to luck.
0:22- Sometimes those blocks don't break, it's kind of annoying.
2:39- Landing on the box is surprisingly difficult with the way speed works in this game.
2:52- What I try to do during that entire section is go through a platform and be able to use rocket FLUDD instantly.  I accidentally did it off the final mushroom, then missed my recovery of ground pounding onto the shine.
3:56- I have no idea where I'm going to land in that screen, and hitting the lava is not uncommon.  The fact that my second launch went into a triple jump, which never happens cancels the lava hit.
5:56- It's quite possible but depends on the bullet bill cycles.  With my recovery I lost 3 or 4 seconds to it, though.

With regards to the overpeaking, I think the game does that on its own but if not any future recordings will use a lower volume to try to prevent that.
TwitchTV: chairbendr
I also have not played this game, though I've played mario games.

Audio and Video quality is good. The audio from the game is a bit harsh on the ears, but that's the game's fault.

All of the mistakes are only a few seconds for things that are inconsistent to get. It would be hard to beat this run, from what I can tell. For SDA, you want to show quality play, and this is quality play. The run IS pretty short, but leave it to someone else to put in the effort to try to improve on those difficult tricks.

Accept
SEGA Junkie
This is legitimate, properly captured gameplay.

One question: are the areas where you're moving through blackness glitches or intended hidden routes?

Also, why do fangames insist on having really small and sparsely placed platforms everywhere. >:/

Going to give an accept, but I think you can keep improving this. Above and beyond what ktwo pointed out, the final level seemed kind of sloppy as well (though I don't know how hard it is to avoid a ton of damage there).
Obscure games ftw
Quote from mike89:
One question: are the areas where you're moving through blackness glitches or intended hidden routes?

Those are intended hidden routes.
Willing to teach you the impossible
I know it is much harder to control, but why not use the dive for faster movement as it was used in the Mushroom Kingdom areas? I noticed the mid air twirl is slower than walking, But much easier to use/control.

Lots of small mistakes for a short game. I would like to give this a reject for now. For this type of game, I could overlook the method of movement, but even to an in experienced speedrunner they could see this has some issues.
Is PJ
For being such a short game, there were a surprising number of mistakes.  I'm not sure if the game controls as terribly as it looks like it does, but that may have something to do with the mistakes.  Either way, a run of this length could stand to use some more polish.  I'd recommend a weak reject, and I really hope the runner tries to improve this.  The fact that his listed splits show such ridiculous time gains on levels that looked very sloppy seems to hint that he didn't spend enough time on it.

If the runner is really considering the other categories, that might serve as some more practice with the game mechanics and hopefully make him more comfortable with the dive and work on the spacing of the rocket FLUDD some more.  Then he can probably return to any% and stomp this time.
Obscure games ftw
Quote from Heidrage:
I know it is much harder to control, but why not use the dive for faster movement as it was used in the Mushroom Kingdom areas? I noticed the mid air twirl is slower than walking, But much easier to use/control.

Quote from PJ:
more comfortable with the dive and work on the spacing of the rocket FLUDD some more

The thing about the dive is that in areas where you would reverse direction, you can't do that immediately.  This rules out a lot of places where it would be helpful.  For the Escape sequence, missing a dive pretty much guarantees death.  For the beginning of the final level, spinning adds a bit of speed every time you do it so rocket FLUDD+spinspam is fastest. (Not sure if you meant there?)

Quote from PJ:
The fact that his listed splits show such ridiculous time gains on levels that looked very sloppy seems to hint that he didn't spend enough time on it.

Actually, I killed a lot of runs that were ahead because they weren't good enough, and my prior PB made a lot of mistakes and died in the Escape.  It's a case of going for 1 big improvement as opposed to a bunch of smaller ones.
HELLO!
It looked to me like later in the run, there were things that had to be retried.

But it also didn't look to me like things had to be retried very much.

I would Accept but I understand those who would want to kick it back for a little more polish.
This seems like a pretty split decision, can we get some more discussion on this one?
HELLO!
I just think the standard changes as the run goes on. Early on, you reset if you mess something up. But when you're close to the end, sometimes you've just got to eat it.
Edit history:
Zerstorung: 2013-10-30 01:57:55 pm
Zerstorung: 2013-10-30 01:56:46 pm
I watched this run a couple times last week, and a few times again just now. I understand that the game is probably at fault to some degree, but the way you progress through some of the more clustered sections makes it seem like you haven't really drilled the tougher individual rooms to develop consistency and figure out what can go wrong well enough to have confidence in your play. It's one thing to not attempt a clearly defined frame perfect trick that saves five seconds if you feel there's more time to be saved elsewhere, but you shouldn't sandbag your entire run just to get something submitted.

You mention that you don't dive in the final level because you'll die if you miss. So practice some more and learn your positioning to dive and if you miss, oh well just reset. Follow through with your motions, play as though you won't miss, and if you do miss just practice more and try again.

Edit: I went and played through the game, following your route. While I can certainly see why you made a lot of the mistakes you did and respect your run for the nonsense you put up with in running it, I'm going to stand by my point and say that with some drilling you can squeeze some degree of consistency out of it. It may end up coming down to praying for the controls to do what you want them to do, but if you want a run that is going to look anything but sloppy, that's unfortunately what you're going to have to do.

Soft Reject.
Not a walrus
I just watched this run through twice, and while I can understand the reservations behind it I'm not convinced it's enough to warrant a rejection. The controls are pretty sketchy and while the run could definitely use some polish, this isn't a hugely contested game so I'm probably going to let this through.
Is there a precedent for a game that has such horrible controls that anything but a perfect run is going to look sloppy?
I also favor an accept actually. The number of tricks that the runner does indeed pull off in the run is considerable and it's a very intense run even if not the lengthiest in this category. Also it's a first for this game, which might attract attention and competitors (it's a popular enough fan game apparently and I can see why). I have the gut feeling the runner himself might return to this after dabbling in other categories and becoming more consistent with everything even though he says he'll wait until someone beats his time. Having tried the game myself briefly I can attest to the controls feeling stiff as often is the case with Java-based games.

I think the movements overall look practised and thought-out. E.g.: the little damage boost at 0:42. Even things like hitting a door in this game are not entirely trivial. If you press "up" a little early you'll jump instead. If you were wondering why he doesn't use diving more, hitting an enemy causes a knockback.

What I'd like to know is couldn't you enter the "stone pipe" a little earlier having fallen into the first Bowser area (around 1:16)? If you started hopping towards the right, zig-zagged a bit in between the bobbing blocks... is there something unapparent happening there?

2:27 why not start jumping to get up on the cloud faster?
2:31 looks like the turbo could be engaged earlier here.
2:52 The rocket seems to work with a delay, but it be cancelled by ground-pounding earlier or otherwise?
3:30 This looks a bit funny (missing the ceiling secret exit) because it looks like all you need to do is activate the boost and let it hurl you straight up.
Fake Bowser fight: you should explore if you can manipulate the number of round in the fight by taking damage as you suspected for future attempts.
Obscure games ftw
Quote from LotBlind:
What I'd like to know is couldn't you enter the "stone pipe" a little earlier having fallen into the first Bowser area (around 1:16)? If you started hopping towards the right, zig-zagged a bit in between the bobbing blocks... is there something unapparent happening there?

2:27 why not start jumping to get up on the cloud faster?
2:31 looks like the turbo could be engaged earlier here.
2:52 The rocket seems to work with a delay, but it be cancelled by ground-pounding earlier or otherwise?
3:30 This looks a bit funny (missing the ceiling secret exit) because it looks like all you need to do is activate the boost and let it hurl you straight up.
Fake Bowser fight: you should explore if you can manipulate the number of round in the fight by taking damage as you suspected for future attempts.

The 'stone pipe' thing does indeed work, I stumbled upon that while working on no major skips runs.  2:27 is the same deal, 2:31 I land to avoid getting a triple jump off the cloud which would result in not making the next jump.  For 2:52 I expected to rocket up to the ledge and not get another blast off the mushroom, as soon as I noticed I had another blast I ground pounded.  For 3:30 I was trying to optimize the next screen a little more...though I have another new strat for that stretch.  On Fake Bowser, getting hit does not affect the number of attacks from what I've checked, but luring him into the smash attack is much faster than fireball waves.
Not a walrus
Decision posted.
Good luck with other categories etc.!!!