page  <- 123456789101112 -> <- 1 .. 6 .. 12 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
ColonelFatso: 2009-03-28 10:12:46 pm
Don't collect so many damn hearts! They're next to useless and they tack extra time on that's entirely unnecessary.

Jumping off any platform 2 blocks or more higher than the ground you plan to land on will cause Simon to slow down while the landing animation plays. You want to avoid that as much as feasible.

Most of the time enemy boosting does save time in this game, why else would the TAS finish each level with ~1hp? Especially the bat boosts are important, as one of them allows you to skip a landing animation (the first one).

With some work on your jump-whip timing you should be able to shave off another second or more as well.

Dracula fight: I'm planning to arrive there with holy water, not cross. Do you think time saved with III-cross is more than time saved with I-cross and not visiting the secret ledge?

Anyways, very well done on both other than those little things in Level 1.
Edit history:
MASTER-88: 2009-03-29 09:49:14 am
Master-88
Thanks your critic colonelfatso Wink

Yeah enemy boost looks cool, but somereason i not take any faster time (when i check ingame timer) I believe ingame timer lie little bit. For example first room in the game. Most of the times i got 4.38 time remain, but once my life i got 4.39. Sometimes 4.37 even happen.

Quote:
Don't collect so many damn hearts! They're next to useless and they tack extra time on that's entirely unnecessary.

Really? Take too many jumps too much time?

Quote:
Dracula fight: I'm planning to arrive there with holy water, not cross. Do you think time saved with III-cross is more than time saved with I-cross and not visiting the secret ledge?

Hmm holy water? Not sounds good. But i can,t say, because im not are trying. On SS speedrun, i not need visit extra ledge if i are maded everything well enought, i think i have triple pack & cross before Dracula.

Quote:
Do you think time saved with III-cross is more than time saved with I-cross and not visiting the secret ledge?

Yeah i trying 1 cross too, but this looks 3 cross are quite bit faster. And 3 cross fight looks alot cooler. My fight was still not very optimize for example his 3rd phase is possible kill in 2nd round, but this requires alot luck. Wink

EDIT:
Well i make some videos again:
My Level A-run. 434 time remain. This is not optimize like my level 1 run. I was little lazy manipulated everything. At least boss fight was awesome. But think with very optimize fight can be done in at one round? Maybe? My fight was in two round boss has two energy bar left after his disappear..

I not sure is it possible skip enemys in lift places (bone dragon & axe aromor) I not never managed make it. At least it is too risky on SS-run, but it might working ID-level run.

Level B-1 run:

This is very optimize if someone not know yet, this is very great run. And you will see good speedtips.

Level 6 (first part) for speed & 3 energy bar lost:

EDIT 2:
This speedtrick was really hard:

I think it is banned use that on SS-run, because it is extremely hard & luck. But someone patient person can make it on ID-levels run.
Quote:
I think it is banned use that on SS-run, because it is extremely hard & luck. But someone patient person can make it on ID-levels run.

Not 'banned' for SS, just probably not happening. The TAS does that at least twice (level 3 and that one) to my knowledge. If I get good enough at levels 6 and 7 that I can simply breeze through them at insane speeds (which given the chandelier segment to begin 6-2 I might not) I'll try incorporating it into the two-segment run.

Quote:
Really? Take too many jumps too much time?

The hearts add extra time after you grab the crystal when they count down. Not a problem for ILs, but if you're going to SS the game it'll really start to show.

Beyond that, sometimes by grabbing those hearts you caused a bit of character stoppage on landing due to the whipping, which you also want to avoid and which WILL affect an IL run.

Quote:
Hmm holy water? Not sounds good. But i can,t say, because im not are trying. On SS speedrun, i not need visit extra ledge if i are maded everything well enought, i think i have triple pack & cross before Dracula.

The thing is, holy water is much more effective than cross on bosses for the entirety of levels 6-B except Zapf Bat, Gaibon and Dracula (Death doesn't count because he nukes your projectiles), and has the added benefit of killing Axe Armours extremely fast.

Quote:
Yeah enemy boost looks cool, but somereason i not take any faster time (when i check ingame timer) I believe ingame timer lie little bit. For example first room in the game. Most of the times i got 4.38 time remain, but once my life i got 4.39. Sometimes 4.37 even happen.

The ingame timer is mostly unreliable, I think it runs faster or slower depending on how long you take to input your name and skip the entry 'cutscene'.

Quote:
Yeah i trying 1 cross too, but this looks 3 cross are quite bit faster. And 3 cross fight looks alot cooler. My fight was still not very optimize for example his 3rd phase is possible kill in 2nd round, but this requires alot luck. Wink

To clarify within the frame of my run specifically, when calculating III-cross time you'd have to add the time taken visiting the secret ledge, whereas with I-cross you needn't add this time.

EDIT: Whoops, wasn't quite done.

Quote:
This is very optimize if someone not know yet, this is very great run. And you will see good speedtips.

That's nearly perfect, the bat boost is something I've never done there before, I'll make sure to implement it.

Quote:

Well done, but it's possible to get by that bat and grab the holy water without taking damage or extra maneuvering like you did there.
Edit history:
MASTER-88: 2009-03-29 03:01:28 pm
Master-88
This sounds quite ironic how holy water working against Dracula? Huh?

But this can be done only SS-run, because ID-level table before Dracula you can got cross only. So i not know.

Check out my videos too, i´ll hope you will learn something with this.

Quote:
Not 'banned' for SS, just probably not happening.

Hah yeah thats sounds better, Cheesy sorry my bad english. :-[

Quote:
That's nearly perfect, the bat boost is something I've never done there before, I'll make sure to implement it.

Yeah nice to hear if i founded somethings news. THis is as well very easy trick. I can make 99.9% of the time.
Quote from MASTER-88:
This sounds quite ironic how holy water working against Dracula? Huh?

Sorry, I should rephrase.

Bosses the Holy Water DOES work faster on:
Level 6
Level 7
Level 8
Level A
Slogra

Bosses it DOESN'T work faster on:
Level 9
Gaibon
Dracula

Death is moot because he kills your projectiles.
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
I always had trouble with the stair jumping.  I hold up/diagonal up and still fall through sometimes.  :-[
Yeah, that can give me trouble occasionally too, but usually only on my SNES pad, which is so busted from seventeen years of use that I could practically do the LttP trick on it
Master-88
Quote from DK28:
I always had trouble with the stair jumping.  I hold up/diagonal up and still fall through sometimes.  :-[

Yeah i have random time with this too. This are very dangerous on SS-runs. Especially last level includes alot nasty stair jumps.

BTW:
This is my Level 1 run (2nd quest) 290 time remain. Well i not sure ho much ingame timer lie, but this is quite good run. Enemys take more hit to kill & there alot more enemies than normal mode.:

Yeah critic are welcomed, but i want to say i not optimize/plan that very well and i allow some minor flaws, but overall it is quite clean run. And definitely worth wathching. When  we know how much luck this game requires.
I don't know if second quest will even be an allowable category. I haven't seen many second quest runs of this type on SDA, but then again you can reach second quest by password in this game unlike most others.

Perhaps for ILs, anyway.

Anyways, the run:

There's nothing to say that I haven't said before, except for jump-whipping. When you're jump-whipping down or diagonally down, you want to whip RIGHT after you jump. Like, the sooner the better, to make doubly sure there's no lag. The only exception to this is that one time near the end of the level if you want to kill the thing above the stairs.

Boss fight still needs a little bit of work, shouldn't take too much.
Master-88
I believe  Second-quest (hard mode) are accept on SDA if someone run for this. It is different & harder.

I still believed i personally not make any more speedruns with this quest, because first quest are pain ass enought for speedrun. I maded this second quest level 1 run on youtube because this seems interesting.

But if someone are crazy enought i believed second quest speedrun is even more interesting than first quest run. And i am quite sure SDA accept this category.

Edit history:
MASTER-88: 2009-04-03 12:47:22 pm
Master-88
EDIT My runs
5/11 levels are done********************************************************************************:
I´ll post my ID levels with this pages. I not want create new topic with this.

Level 1: (Completed in 3 min 14 sec (307 timeremain)

Level 2: (Completed in 3 min 25 sec (298 time remain)

Level 3: Completed in 4 min 28 sec (447 time remain)

Level 4: Completed in 4 min 55 sec (325 time remain)

Level 5: Completed in 1 min 38 sec (095 time remain)¨

Master-88
My level 2 real run is up:

I already today make test run, this new one is much more optimize, i still make some rought mistakes with skeletons & water part can be done faster. But i think this good enough now. I as well rdo my level 1 run by one only seconds, i not post that yet. I make level done very well, but i still fuck up some seconds against boss fight.

BTW enjoy my level 2 run, i might improve that yet, but this looks it is good enought now & it is done with accetable speed. Wink
You can boost pretty consistently off the last leaf man with enough practice, it will shave a bit of time off. I haven't worked much on the other three but you seem to kill them off quickly enough.

My biggest problem with it, though, is you waste all your health boosting off of things you could easily just walk past in the water level when the water is running in your favour. I suggest you save more of it for later, especially save some for that damn bone pillar.

I'll try to fight the damn controller lag enough to record a quick emu run of Level 2 in the context of the entire run today
Master-88
Quote:
I'll try to fight the damn controller lag enough to record a quick emu run of Level 2 in the context of the entire run today

This might be great see your run. This take me whole fucking day make this like this. My hardest part was very beging level, i ruin at least 50 even more runs with hands and leaf mans. I was really happy with this i make it good.

Quote:
I suggest you save more of it for later, especially save some for that damn bone pillar.

My last bone pillar was my worst spot. I normally skip it, but i lost energy against Medusa, so i not have enought energy skip it. Sad
I went and did it, not going to bother with silly things like encoding a video, replay is attached or should be.

You'll need the US version and ZSNES 1.43 to play it.

It's not great, but not rough enough for me to have restarted, obviously
Master-88
Quote from ColonelFatso:
I went and did it, not going to bother with silly things like encoding a video, replay is attached or should be.

You'll need the US version and ZSNES 1.43 to play it.

It's not great, but not rough enough for me to have restarted, obviously

Im sorry i can,t open it. I only can watch flash videos my computer, probably Divix AVI working on too. But i not have other players with this. If you make it up on youtube i will watch it. Wink
im pretty excited about seeing this run (hopefully) coming soon. i think this was the first retrovania that i completed. good luck!
Master-88
Level 3 run:

Not very great, but still good one. I spend 2 day with this. there is definitely better stategys with certain places and i maybe try improve that later. First i want make speedrun every levels in the game and post these ones into site. I think my level 3 is done with accetable speed. At least first part in was awesome.
contraddicted
Not bad to start from for further improvement Smiley

What occured to me were especially two things:
Just before taking the kill-all-on-screen item, you tried to whip a skeleton, which would have also been destroyed by just grabbing the item.
Against the boss i think it is faster, though more dangerous, to stay on the lower left platform and whip upwards.
Waiting hurts my soul...
Quote from EvilJogga:
Not bad to start from for further improvement Smiley

What occured to me were especially two things:
Just before taking the kill-all-on-screen item, you tried to whip a skeleton, which would have also been destroyed by just grabbing the item.
Against the boss i think it is faster, though more dangerous, to stay on the lower left platform and whip upwards.

I agree, and am following the run very closely.  There is also a point where he misses a jump, but overall you're doing very well and I look forward to this finally being listed on SDA.
Edit history:
MASTER-88: 2009-04-03 09:45:01 am
Master-88
Quote:

Actually i not try whip skeleton, actually i try got double item, but i accidentally mess up hit candle and this requires one more whip hit. It is possible got double item earlier. sometimes bone dragon drop it.

Quote:

Boss definitely can be done faster. There is several way make it 5-sec faster even more. But it is extremely difficult.
I not actually think staying lower platform is good idea. It is very easy got damage here and it make boss slow to beat. But i can,t say this might still working. Wink

EDIT:
Level 4:

Level 3: Your cave and waterfall runs are nearly identical to mine, you're maybe a little too cautious at the falling-block segment to begin the Submerged City, reasonably well done on the white dragon kills, bad luck on those birds and skeleta right before the boss.

Bad luck on the boss. I maintain, though, that cross spam > bottom ledge for speed.
Master-88
Quote from ColonelFatso:
Level 3: Your cave and waterfall runs are nearly identical to mine, you're maybe a little too cautious at the falling-block segment to begin the Submerged City, reasonably well done on the white dragon kills, bad luck on those birds and skeleta right before the boss.

Bad luck on the boss. I maintain, though, that cross spam > bottom ledge for speed.

My cave run was awesome, i made it fast like this only twice my about 5-hours attempts. Water fall run was avarage but not great i make two rough mistake here. Water city run was sometimes bad, but overall good. But check out my level 4 run next. This level looks quite borring, but it is always it. Grin
WTF is this cv4 run in the verification queue? Did you get insanely lucky and record an SS, or did you actually finish all the rest of those levels, or has someone gone in and ninja'd us all?
its there to get ready when one does submit a run